***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

134,696 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While the NBA Finals are still going, the Mavs 2021-22 season is officially closed! And it was...AWESOME!! Dallas won more than 50 games and made the Western Conference Finals for the first time since 2011!! Which would be impressive enough even if you didn't take into consideration the Mavs got off to their traditionally slow start (at their worst being 14-18). At this point, it's kinda impressive the Mavs can continue to put themselves in a huge hole and then just decide to basically never lose again.

KP was traded in a blockbuster deal for Davis Bertans and Spencer WINwiddie. The shakeup was exactly what the Mavs needed as it provided much needed ball handling and slashing scoring. Is Dinwiddie a long term piece for this team? Who knows, but he certainly played a huge role in getting the Mavs as far as they did.

Luka made his THIRD consecutive 1st Team All-NBA at the ripe age of 23. I can't express how truly insane that is to type.

There's a million things we can and should look back on from this awesome season, but the draft is a few weeks away and free agency is right after.

Will the Mavs keep their pick? Should they?
Who should they take? A wing? A big? More ball handlers?
What do they do with the roster? Is THJ a lock to return next sesaon?
Brunson is 100% getting the bag, but then what?
Find out next season, on DRAGONBALL Z.

awrollins
In! I'm calling it now, Mavs 2023 champs on top of a Luka 42/11/8 performance in game 7 in Dallas!
Iowaggie
AG
Hope this is a worthy post somewhere

Ol Jock 99
AG
Dwight Powell is due for a breakout season.
Zachary Klement
AG
Page juan!
PatAg
AG
There any chance we can get a Yr 1 impact player in the draft?
Zachary Klement
AG
PatAg said:

I bet we can find a Tyrell Terry caliber guy!
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

Haha there's always a chance, but the odds are pretty slim. The Nuggets got Bones Hylund last year at #26 who was a pretty impactful perimeter defender. Bulls also got a 2nd rd gem in Ayo Dosunmu who helped keep them afloat while they were ravaged by injuries. Cam Thomas for the Nets at pick #27 had some moments of real impact. But that's basically it in terms of late selected rookies contributing to playoff teams.

And to be honest with you, I'm not sure either of those 3 guys would have gotten the PT they did had their teams been healthy.

So basically...it's possible to find impactful rookies, but it's even harder to draft impactful rookies who can carve out meaningful minutes without injuries.
gomerschlep
AG
I'm in. Champs this year. Calling it now.
Zachary Klement
AG
gomerschlep said:

I'm in. Champs this year. Calling it now.
Luka MVP too.
True Anomaly
AG
I'm just gonna call my shot now and say Myles Turner will be on our team for next season. Don't ask me how that happens….just got a feeling
Zachary Klement
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
At least Boban stays in Texas.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Intriguing. Not giving up much so it's worth a shot. I know he's talented on offense, but what's his defense like? I haven't seen him play much.

I'd much prefer someone like Myles Turner. But even if his defense and rebounding aren't great, it's worth a shot bc we aren't giving up much and he's talented and will take minutes away from Powell. Just hope he doesn't whine if we don't post him up. I've heard he has some character issues.
J.P. 03
AG
This reaction seems…positive. Don't know much about Wood but I did see the DallasBasketball guys saying he doesn't bring much to the table on defense. Curious what the Mavs plan to do with those extra roster spots:

TheMasterplan
*Goes over to the Rockets thread to see their reaction.....*
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not Boban!!!!
NoahAg
Didn't see this coming. On paper it seems good. Trading a bunch of guys who don't play for a starter.

I do love Boban.
Let's go, Brandon!
hph6203
AG
Trading Boban's bench play for a guy that can get on the floor.
M.C. Swag
AG
This was basically a trade for the 26th pick only. I don't expect any of those players the Mavs gave up to stick with Houston (including Boban - who could end up back in Dallas anyways).

Overall this is a good move for dallas if for these 2 reasons:
- The 26th pick was not going to impact the team next year.
- Freed up 3 roster spots.

C Wood has his issues (professionalism, focus/motor, decision making), but he's obviously more talented than any C currently on the Mavs roster. Besides that, his play style fits like a glove on this team. This is a guy who shot 39% from 3 on 5 attempts per game. That number can only improve playing next to Luka. And that's to say nothing about his raw athleticism to catch lob dunks. Like offensively, he has a ton of versatility.

This is a good move for Nico and if Wood can keep his head on straight and stay healthy, there's almost no reason he won't flourish next to luka.
zgolfz85
AG
Love the trade. Real head scratcher for the Houston side of it
TDub
AG
Pls get rid of Powell now
mavsfan4ever
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I think they wanted to get rid of him at all costs so took what seems like a somewhat low offer. I saw a tweet saying that the agents of multiple lottery picks made it known that they did not want their players playing with Wood.

Plus, he's an expiring contract so probably not a ton of value on the trade market, even though he's talented.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I saw a tweet saying that the agents of multiple lottery picks made it known that they did not want their players playing with Wood.
Why?
M.C. Swag
AG
TDub said:

Pls get rid of Powell now
haha nah he's a good role/regular season player. The Mavs just asked too much of him. He's not a starting caliber player, but he's still valuable. Hell, he was our only iron man who played in every game this season.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

zgolfz85 said:

I think they wanted to get rid of him at all costs so took what seems like a somewhat low offer. I saw a tweet saying that the agents of multiple lottery picks made it known that they did not want their players playing with Wood.

Plus, he's an expiring contract so probably not a ton of value on the trade market, even though he's talented.
- I don't believe the bolded part. Wood is a bit of a head case but he's not some phantom menace lol
- Expiring contracts have a ton of value. Especially on buy low, young, versatile players like Wood. I think alot of teams would have paid the same price the Mavs did for a shot at rehabbing Wood.
flnk06
He's a bit of a head case. I think I heard a story about him refusing to sub into a game a few months ago. He's talented, but there's a reason why he's about to be on his 7th team In 8 seasons
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just relaying what the tweet said. Guess they could just be making it up, but I wouldn't blame an agent for not wanting a top 5 pick playing with Wood bc he's known to be a headcase and wouldn't be a great influence on a rookie.

And maybe some other teams would have given up what Dallas did. But no one was willing to give up more, or the rockets would have taken the better deal.

He's only available for this cheap price bc of his character and effort issues. But it's worth the gamble, considering we ar e basically giving up nothing. So the only gamble is the personality/character fit with the team, and hopefully Kidd can take care of that.
hph6203
AG
Just another data point. Houston beat writer.

AG@RICE
AG
Rockets fan opinion on Christian Wood:
First I'll say that I'm happy to be done with him. He was never going to be a useful player for the Rockets. The environment in Houston was not conducive to bring out his potential. We needed some return for him and I think the Mavs were one of the few teams willing to give a FRP at this point in time. The Rockets need flexibility now to try to move up in the draft and its clear he isn't meshing with the team.

He is a very very talented player. When healthy, his combination of size and athleticism is elite. He has played well for the Rockets on several 15 to 20 game stretches. He will get knocked for his defense, but he has had flashes of really good interior defense as a stretch 5. His 3pt shooting numbers are really good, but he is frustratingly streaky and is surprisingly poor from the FT line. He got tons of rebounds for the Rockets, but many of them were uncontested (an advantage of being a stretch 5 in drop PNR coverage).

In order for him to reach his full potential, he needs two things: 1) Health. He is prone to lower body injuries. He likes to drive into the paint and he endures a bunch of awkward landings. He is very thin. 2) Accountability. He needs to understand his role and play with discipline. Rockets fans will often complain about his desire to bring the ball up the court. He can dribble just fine, but he isn't really a creator so the entire process is wasteful. He needs to realize he isn't afforded the same license of freedom as Giannis or Lebron. He needs to be a cog, not a motor. As a result, he doesn't mesh well with his teammates because of his desire to showcase his own abilities.

I think Dallas is a great fit for him. The team has tasted playoff success and they aren't asking him to be the focal point. I'm fairly certain Luka and Kidd will get him to fall in line and play to his strengths. On his best day, he can play D and be a 20/10 inside/outside threat. The price was very cheap to test drive the Wood experience.

I'm interested to see how it plays out. He could be the missing piece to a great team...or he might be a diva and sink the ship.
Carlo4
AG
We literally gave up nothing and lowered the salary cap for a 19/9 big guy for a year. I'm good with that.
YNWA_AG
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Apparently the agents for Paolo/Chet etc didn't want wood on that roster. Opens up the roster so we can start Chet/Paolo and sengun while also get some minutes for Kj Martin and Garuba.
M.C. Swag
AG
Haha no I know, I'm just saying if there's one player on the Houston roster that agents would t want to mix with their clients, it's KPJ not Wood.
The Shank Ag
Maybe Houston will waive boban and he can come back home. Or maybe he can retire and join the coaching staff. Really going to miss him
HawthornAggie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.