Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M in pop culture, post your sightings here

357,577 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by _mpaul
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember a crime dram on CBS in 1987-1988 called Houston Knights

No, I didn't think you would. It was only on for one season. One of the main cop characters, Levon Lundy, claimed to have known a villain in one episode from "... back we we played football together at A&M."

DoubleD984
In James Lee Burke's book "Heartwood", the protagonist Billy Bob Holland's son Lucas comes back home for the summer between school years at Texas A&M. The villain's son, Jeff Deitrich, went to t.u. for two years on a football scholarship and ended up getting kicked out.

I read all of Burke's novels and he usually writes about LSU, never figured he would have a positive view of A&M.
Scientific
AG
Quote:

UGK's "Tell Me Something Good" video from back in 92... Pimp C has the old school TAMU shirt thru the whole video

Seems like in the 90s, our gear was as popular as Michigan, Georgetown, and Miami.

H-Town wore A&M jerseys through this whole video. For fans of 90s R&B.

Elchupacabre
I can't find it, but there's a Death Row Records documentary, where a former Dr Dre Body guard is wearing a 12th man jersey.
He had a great quote,

"There may have been some fools who got socked in they eye, and there may not have been."
mazzag
AG
Lettermans top 10 people naming their kids a & m.
Rock582
AG
Opening sequence of the movie "A Few Good Men" features former Fish Drill Team members acting as the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team.
Sarge 77
In early episodes of Happy Days...there was an A&M pennant in Richie's brothers college dorm room, along with others.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Didn't Zac from Saved By The Bell go to A&M?
KDM 99
That rumor from Zach from Saved by the Bell going to A&M was around in my day. Story supposedly was that he lived in the penthouse of University Tower. Pretty sure that's false.

I did see Henry Thomas (Elliott from ET) at The Tap freshman year sometime during Bonfire festivities.
ABattJudd
AG
There was a movie called "Junction Boys" that had one or two A&M references in it.

Greutzmachers -- Goin' commando!
kadejonah
The scene on the field with the jocks in revenge of the nerds was at kyle field. And in the bike race in the parking lot you can see kyle field in the background.
drewbie96
AG
There was a scene in Yes Dear where Jimmy wears a Texas A&M t-shirt, but I can't find a clip of it.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I had to look up the Revenge of the Nerds reference to believe it. I found online that is was, but still find it hard to believe.

Can anyone around that time verify it?
GoneGirl
AG
It's listed as Kyle Field, but it's been discussed here before with clips and I think it's an error. It didn't really look like Kyle, and the rest of the movie was shot in Az. (I think). The general consensus was why would they come to Texas to shoot one scene?
chico
AG
the pennant in Richie's brother's college dorm room from Happy Days has to top the OBSCURE reference!
GoneGirl
AG
Here is the clip, you guys decide....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNj7sgrKlk&p=D4F00FD73E0F90E9&playnext=1&index=58

Was there ever a press box on the student side?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I don't believe there was ever a press box on the student side

but there is no way that was shot at Kyle Field. Would have been shot after the expansion to the 3rd deck for the '80 season.
ColoradoMooseHerd
The only thing that looked like A&M to me was the first scene where they are speaking at the podium. Looks like Cain Hall in the background, but why would they film that scene next to Cain Hall
jteagle
AG
The comic strip Frazz by Jeff Mallett (features a janitor that runs marathons and triathlons) wore a A&M cap for about a week on the comic strip. It was about 2 years ago I think. I am trying to find the date but haven't had luck so far.
GoneGirl
AG
Tubularman!

RedRider
I am quite sure I saw an Aggie ring on one of the characters in the retro horror zombie flick "Planet Terror".

I cannot provide proof, but maybe someone here can help us out.
Scotch
AG
That looks nothing like Kyle, aside from the overhanging deck, internet misinformation at its finest.
scrubzhero
That does not look like Kyle Field in Revenge of the Nerds. The location of the go-kart race would be the site of the current practice facilities. Was that ever a parking lot? Also, what would be the student side looks way too flat.
Wipey
AG
quote:
I've heard architecture students claim the old man character in the movie Up is based on one of the architecture profs. No doubt from Pixar workers from the VizLab.

He was modeled after Spencer Tracy

http://www.exclaim.ca/News/pixar_reveals_early_look_at_up/?

Do your homework on this stuff before spreading rumors.

[This message has been edited by Wipey (edited 11/7/2010 11:33p).]
HoyaSaxa
Roland Martin of CNN is an Aggie grad obviously.

SB in H-Town
In the King of the Hill Spring Break episode Hank actually asks the sip how they are looking for the upcoming season not the Ag. Arlen hates us.
AughtThree
AG
The Onion is fond of using A&M in their articles on occasion. My personal favorite is the one where they say Jesus played his college ball at A&M before going to the NBA.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/christ-returns-to-nba,1996/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/student-snaps-awake-upon-hearing-word-hydroponics,3557/
Stasco
AG
After carefully reading the thread, I see that no one has mentioned the fish drill team in a few good men or julia roberts' reference to College Station.
Gigemchicken90
AG
Writers, Animators and others at Disney and Pixar all 'sign' their work. On a backstage tour once we were shown many of these. Some may be a number representing a birthday or aniversary, some a pet - anything the person would like as long is it 'fits' into the scene.
Rudyjax
AG
ROTN was filmed entirely at Arizona.

That is not Kyle Field, and nothing was filmed at the Grove.

Someone put it on IMDB, and that is nothing but a Wiki.

This comes up once or twice a year on Texags.
Same with Henry Thomas going to A&M.
And the Sully.
And the ship in Troy.

And in A Few Good Men, it was the Association of Former Fish Drill Team, not not the fish Drill team. The fish drill team wasn't ready, as this was filmed early in the fall semester.

Zone416 was an advisor to the team and was in Washington to help out. It was classes of 92,93, and 94.
MarvsMustang
AG
I always knew that College Station was the Promised Land.
turfaggie24
AG
In the movie Space Cowboys, Tommy Lee Jones mentions getting beat up by an A&M football player over his girlfiend.
CBattBQ87
AG
quote:
* A really awful Bear Bryant biopic starring Gary Busey was filmed at A&M in the late 70s.

quote:
...and nothing was filmed at the Grove.

The Bear Bryant bio-pic with Busey, "The Bear", was filmed at The Grove in the early 80s. How do I know? I was an extra, as was the rest of the Corps. We were in the scene where Bryant arrived in College Station. Busey kept messing up his lines.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
You can see the "A" on the scoreboard in the ROTN clip. So no not tamu.
Sublette County
AG

Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Arizona.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.