Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M in pop culture, post your sightings here

357,692 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by _mpaul
heisatouchdown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got two, one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned and the other that I'm not surprised that hasn't been mentioned.

1) They Call Me Sirr (such a good story, but not a very good movie. If only they could remake the movie similar to the Blindside...)

2) In Kurt Vonnegut's book Player Piano there is a mention that "the entire Texas A&M backfield had been bought by Harvard" or something along those lines.
90%Ag
AG
Can't believe this took page 5 to show up:

CSI character Nick Stokes went to A&M, as depicted in Season 1.

The irony? George Eads (the actor that plays him) went to Tceh!

I love that.

yawny06
AG
FX had a show a few years back called "Over There" where a PFC got a partial scholarship to play football at Texas A&M, but couldn't make up the difference so he joined the Army.

"First in Sight, Ready to Fight"
Cancelled
AG
In the Audrey Hepburn movie "How to Steal a Million", Peter O'Toole's character's nephew was supposedly in the "University of Texas A&M Corp of Cadets". I can't find the pic, but apparently you can see a picture of him on the nightstand in full corps gear.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
...and nothing was filmed at the Grove.

I was referring to ROTN, but thanks for trying.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Can't believe this took page 5 to show up:

CSI character Nick Stokes went to A&M, as depicted in Season 1.

The irony? George Eads (the actor that plays him) went to Tceh!

Re-read the thread.
aalan94
AG
From the Onion, 1996:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/christ-returns-to-nba,1996/

quote:
Christ Returns...to NBA

After a two-year hiatus, Jesus Christ returned to the NBA last night, taking the court with his former team, the Atlanta Hawks. Christ, who quit the sport in May 1994 to focus on spreading His message of universal love and compassion, made His triumphant return last night against the Bulls, just in time for Easter Sunday.

The return of Christ, who averaged 18.2 points and 7.3 assists per game during his 10-year NBA career, has excited success-hungry Hawks fans, who are calling Him the team's "Savior."

Said Atlanta resident and devout Christian Jeff Voorhees, "Jesus is Lord."

Christ's decision to return to the Hawks surprised insiders, considering that for years the Nazareth native had been crucified by the Atlanta press. Since He was drafted third overall out of Texas A&M in 1986, Christ has been labeled too passive and forgiving to ever lead the Hawks to the promised land. Christ, however, has now apparently decided to turn the other cheek.

90%Ag
AG
Unthought Known

Did, but was in a hurry. Must have missed it. See it now in the last line of the OP, but I have ADD and never read that far.

Thanks for not being a typical TexAgs poster and ripping me a new one, calling my mother names, questioning my manhood, etc...

[This message has been edited by 90%Ag (edited 11/8/2010 9:18a).]
Biz Ag
AG
quote:
The Bear Bryant bio-pic with Busey, "The Bear", was filmed at The Grove in the early 80s.

They also had a stage set-up near bonfire one year (1983?) where Busey gives a speech during Yell Practice.

I was there for that one.
Iamsocool
AG
I watched "The Last Boy Scout" again a few years ago and realized that the intro includes alot of game film from our 1990 Holiday Bowl. At :36 (sec.) I think you can see Ty Detmer getting sacked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SnRPivHGE
Worm01
AG
Has anyone mentioned Courage Under Fire? I believe the Corps was shown doing PT while Denzel walks around. At least, I had a couple of buddies that claimed to be extras in it.
Rudyjax
AG
In Courage Under Fire, they were extras. I think even the fish drill team was doing drills in one scene.

I think it was the fall of 96 when it was filmed. I was dead, but was an extra in it.
It wasn't just the corps, but the corps sent a bus down to the Gary Job Center in San Marcus for the filming.

The cool part is I got to met Matt Damon. He was a really nice guy. I was there the day they filmed the scene where they're talking by the pool.
CannonAg98
Yes, members of the Corps were bussed down to San Marcos every night for two weeks. We would build bonfire until about midnight, then get on the bus at 2:00 am. We are in the background behind Matt Damon in the pool scene, and behind Denzel on the obstacle courses. I got to be lined up next to Meg Ryan for a couple of scenes that didn't make the movie. Got paid $75 dollars for every trip.
chico
AG
finally getting around to the obvious

Junction Boys - ESPN flick
We've Never Been Licked - WWII flick
CDub06
AG
quote:
Lil Keke (rapper from Houston) wearing an A&M hat.

In his Southside Remix, he gives a shout out to College Station among other cities.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Very surprised no one mentioned 'Sidelines' from ESPN in 2002.

And I'm still waiting on someone to confirm that Julia Roberts appeared with the Fish Drill Team at Kyle Field in Revenge of the Nerds.
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
The Bear Bryant bio-pic with Busey, "The Bear", was filmed at The Grove in the early 80s. How do I know? I was an extra, as was the rest of the Corps. We were in the scene where Bryant arrived in College Station. Busey kept messing up his lines.

They filmed some game scene footage at Kyle during one of the early season non-SWC games. They were in the old field level horseshoe where the Zone is now. It was kind of cool seeing Busey dressed up in the houndstooth hat yelling for the Ags...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ87
AG
quote:
The Onion is fond of using A&M in their articles on occasion. My personal favorite is the one where they say Jesus played his college ball at A&M before going to the NBA.

Cancelled
AG
I love that Onion bit. Jesus was the second in all time points - it's completely absurd that the Son of God would be anything less than the record holder.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Unthought Known

No one on this thread said anything about Revenge of the Nerds being filmed in the Grove.
saysomethin
AG
What was the name of the rap song snoop dogg did while wearing the a&m gear?
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Unthought Known

No one on this thread said anything about Revenge of the Nerds being filmed in the Grove.

I was correcting someone who was going to say after it was proven that it wasn't the football stadium, that the talent skit was filmed at the Grove. Trust me, it was going to happen.
atag
AG
My brother was one of thsoe extras in courage under fire!

Also, I dont even knwo if it's worth mentioning but that stupid cheerleading movie with Tommie Lee Jones mentions the hex rally and A&M. Forgot the name of it.
TexanJeff
AG
I don't know if you have ever seen it, but for some reason at the beginning of the Last Boy Scout you see clips of Texas A&M Demolishing! BYU in the Holiday Bowl... It is during the credits ...

Surreal.
Tex Ag 81
AG
Little People Big World, the mom Amy wears a Maroon Out T shirt and another Texas A&M T shirt in several episodes.

Also, the 80's movie, Spring Break there is a girl in the hotel who claims to be from A&M and the joke is made it must be Texas S&M.
Birddog
AG
Scott Glenn is wearing an Aggie cap in the movie, "The River" from earlie 80's.
texag89
AG
Pearls Before Swine..."Green Ags and Hamm!"

http://comics.com/Pearls_Before_Swine/2010-4-11/

[This message has been edited by texag89 (edited 11/8/2010 11:10a).]
BeardedBear
AG
My wife was watching teen mom the other day, the really shaddy teen dad was wearing a "Texas Aggies" hoodie.
Skywalk
King of the Hill

Hank gets trapped at Port Aransas during Spring Break with his mom and her friends...at the bar there two guys with t-shirts on, an Aggie and a T-sip.
DTAg09
AG
Snoop Dog is reppin a Texas A&M sweat shirt in one of his late 90's or early 2000's videos! Can't bring up youtube at work, but if no one finds it by the time I get home, ill put the link up..its pretty funny to see lol
Skywalk
Oh and Jason Castro from American Idol...not that he has done much since (errr...I mean nothing)
Rudyjax
AG
Did anyone posting in the last few posts actually read the thread?
Old Army Metal
AG
Wow, you only have to read the first 2 pages of this thread before all the posts are re-runs.

And when I was a fish in Outlaw 8 we had some pissheads who showed us an article about Mark Pillow - yes, the Mark Pillow, the guy who played Nuclear Man in Superman III, was at some point a student at A&M and a member of Squadron 8.
OlArmy_97
quote:
In Courage Under Fire, they were extras. I think even the fish drill team was doing drills in one scene.

I think it was the fall of 96 when it was filmed. I was dead, but was an extra in it.
It wasn't just the corps, but the corps sent a bus down to the Gary Job Center in San Marcus for the filming.

The cool part is I got to met Matt Damon. He was a really nice guy. I was there the day they filmed the scene where they're talking by the pool.

This was the fall of '95. I made the trip a couple times. Holy crap those were long days. They paid us $75 a day to be there. We would get on buses and leave Aggieland so early some people would call it late. I never did see myself in any of the scenes. There is a shot of FDT in one scene, you can see it in the reflection of a window.

Some things I remember happening during filming.... 1.) We were filming a "basic training" scene that I don't think made it into the final movie. Anyway, Meg Ryan got kicked in the face and her nose started bleeding. The director wouldn't say cut because he said it seemed more realistic. Meg Ryan was pissed when he finally said cut. 2.) One of the bulls from the trigon, Cpt. Baumann, was our chaperone on one trip. He's an actual ranger. I remember one of the costume ladies come up to him and say Mr. Washington is the only one that can have this. She started to pull on the Ranger Tab on his shoulder, trying to rip it off. He slapped her hand and said M'am, Mr. Washington is pretending to be me, now hands-off! She actually seemed offended and like she was going to find someone to make him take it off. Pretty funny.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I never did see myself in any of the scenes.

I think you can see me from really far away humping a pack. I was in between 2 really tall dudes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.