Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M in pop culture, post your sightings here

357,655 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by _mpaul
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, that's not...what is meant by "pop culture."
That's "news."
cr0wbar
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

I'm a Buffet fan, but that has to be one of the worst songs ever recorded.

Don't worry, you're not really a Buffet[t] fan
rootube
AG
Dallas82 said:

Robert Mitchum, one of the actors in We've Never been Licked, was once asked what the worst movie was he was ever in. He said he didn't remember the name of the movie, "I don't remember the name, but it was about some cow college in Texas."
Hate to say it "We've never been Licked" is pretty awful. If you can get past the uncomfortable racism it's kind of amusing to see a story about A&M and it's also an interesting time capsule mostly only of interest to Aggies.
Cy_Tolliver
That movie sucked, but Robert Mitchum sucked as an actor too.
GinMan
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Yeah, that's not...what is meant by "pop culture."
That's "news."

Made you look.... I'm gunning for your username...
ABATTBQ87
AG
rootube said:

Dallas82 said:

Robert Mitchum, one of the actors in We've Never been Licked, was once asked what the worst movie was he was ever in. He said he didn't remember the name of the movie, "I don't remember the name, but it was about some cow college in Texas."
Hate to say it "We've never been Licked" is pretty awful. If you can get past the uncomfortable racism it's kind of amusing to see a story about A&M and it's also an interesting time capsule mostly only of interest to Aggies.
Nice to see the traditions of A&M from the '40s and how there was little change through the '80s.
texag06ish
AG
2 Chainz - NCAA

"Wait a minute, let me follow this/You think because I got a scholarship/That I don't need dollars just to parlay with/What? (What?)/Manziel had the highest sellin' jersey/Bron moved back to Cleveland/Drake made a song 'bout him/Man, he ain't even workin"
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
rootube said:

Dallas82 said:

I've never seen it. What's racist in it?
rootube
AG
LakeCharlesAg99 said:

rootube said:

Dallas82 said:

I've never seen it. What's racist in it?
It's been a long time since I've seen it but my recollection was that there were approximately two asian students enrolled at Texas A&M and they both turned out to be Japanese spies. Fortunately the good guys were able to root them out and bring them to justice.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

If you can get past the uncomfortable racism
Not excusing it, but it was par for the course at that time to demonize Japanese folks.

Other than that, the film is pretty awful. Like the fight scene where everybody is standing around and then the director obviously yells "action" and everyone starts fighting.
ABATTBQ87
AG
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

If you can get past the uncomfortable racism
Not excusing it, but it was par for the course at that time to demonize Japanese folks.

Other than that, the film is pretty awful. Like the fight scene where everybody is standing around and then the director obviously yells "action" and everyone starts fighting.
Well, it was a propaganda movie to raise war bonds to fight the Japs
geb83
AG
Quote:

It's been a long time since I've seen it but my recollection was that there were approximately two asian students enrolled at Texas A&M and they both turned out to be Japanese spies. Fortunately the good guys were able to root them out and bring them to justice.

Wasn't there also one Japanese student that turned out to be a hero in the film? If true, that would be pretty open minded for the time period and events surrounding it.
Olsen
AG
On Netflix's The Last Summer:

RadAg14
AG
Von likely in the next season of HBO's Ballers

https://instagr.am/p/BzKAtbAFOUQ
infinity ag
Olsen said:

On Netflix's The Last Summer:

nip
infinity ag
Watching TV yesterday, on HLN and saw this.

Cancelled
AG
Who knew Kubrick was a fan?

McJulie-O
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

rootube said:

Dallas82 said:

Nice to see the traditions of A&M from the '40s and how there was little change through the '80s.
IMHO, the best part of the movie, the Must See part, is the burning down of the Chemistry Building! It never gets old!
cedenk
Sorry, Rip Torn did NOT graduate from a&m.
cedenk
Revenge of the Nerds was not filmed at Kyle Field. The IMDB web page does say that, but they are absolutely wrong.

1. In the movie (tricycle race scene), there are palm trees all over the place. There have never been palm trees around Kyle Field.

2. The press box is on the wrong side of the stadium.

2. You can still zoom into Arizona stadium on google maps even now and see the same buildings that are part of the video.

It's late, I'm unemployed and I have nothing else to do.

look at 28 seconds in for the best view in the movie.

Here is more or less the same view from Google Maps today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2308506,-110.9484818,2a,60y,209.93h,108.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2dOhderKmbBT48cz2pA4IQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Notice the palms trees and the building to the right.
Liquid Wrench
Sorry if I've posted this one before, can't remember. But I just saw it in my photo stream.

redd38
AG
This girl is an Aggie

EclipseAg
AG
The couple on the DIY Network's "Big Texas Fix" -- Ashley and Michael Cordray -- are both graduates of A&M-Galveston, and you can see their Aggie rings in shots every now and then.

Their company restores old homes on Galveston Island.
Actual Talking Thermos
In HBO's the Newsroom, Jeff Daniels' reporter character has a story with some kind of sensitive information and refuses to reveal his source in a justice department investigation, leading to the DOJ threatening to have him held in contempt of court. The lawyer from the justice department brings up that Jeff Daniels went to Nebraska, and says that even he also grew up in Nebraska, the school never recruited him as a football player and he ended up playing at A&M, where had to endure losing to Nebraska and still holds a grudge.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
On the latest season of Netflix's "The Ranch", the young black guy who worked for Neumann's Hill, Rich, states that he's got a degree from A&M.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
agnerd said:

Possible hidden pop culture?

Brother's kids were watching Frozen. I glanced over, and it looks like someone styled an A and M into the castle windows. I know there are some Ags that work in Disney's animation department, so they may have snuck something in. The "M" looks so out of place and unsymmetrical that it seems obvious it was purposely done. Makes me wonder if it's A&M.

That's clearly a still from Frozen Fever, not Frozen. It's obvious evidenced by the balloons in place for Anna's surprise birthday party put on by Elsa, who is suffering a bad cold and eventually has to be put to bed, which Anna says is in fact the best present - getting to take care of her sister.
Why don't you brush up on your Frozen facts so you don't look like an idiot next time?
T Boon Pickens

Girl in the video is wearing a pear of aggie boots with aTm stitched in.

This is the zoo's national anthem
MTAggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

agnerd said:

Brother's kids were watching Frozen. I glanced over, and it looks like someone styled an A and M into the castle windows. I know there are some Ags that work in Disney's animation department, so they may have snuck something in. The "M" looks so out of place and unsymmetrical that it seems obvious it was purposely done. Makes me wonder if it's A&M.

That's clearly a still from Frozen Fever, not Frozen. It's obvious evidenced by the balloons in place for Anna's surprise birthday party put on by Elsa, who is suffering a bad cold and eventually has to be put to bed, which Anna says is in fact the best present - getting to take care of her sister.
Why don't you brush up on your Frozen facts so you don't look like an idiot next time?
Lord, I actually laughed out loud at the Frozen smack. It's almost like someone channeled one of my granddaughters. Very nicely done. Thank you.
Post removed:
by user
Ihatefallscounty
AG
my cousin worked on how to train your dragon, he designed something on it.....so there's that.

Edit...he is an aggie grad
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MTAggie said:

MuckRaker96 said:

agnerd said:

Lord, I actually laughed out loud at the Frozen smack. It's almost like someone channeled one of my granddaughters. Very nicely done. Thank you.
I have 8 year old twins. I have seen Frozen no fewer than 300 times. And to my wife's complete horror, the girls and I dressed up as Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff for the Thursday night preview of Frozen 2, with me staying in character as Kristoff in every interaction at the movie theater.
agnerd
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

agnerd said:

Please accept my deepest and sincerest apologies for the oversight. I am a terrible person for not having seen the movie and for not interrogating my nieces on which iteration of the franchise they were watching. I shall forever be indebted to you and your infinite wisdom.
CoppellAg93
AG
The most recent thing I saw ....

Lyle Lovett was in a recent episode of Blue Bloods - got a a couple pretty good shots of his Aggie ring during the show.
davidka5h
AG
One of the closeted homosexuals in Brokeback Mountain mentions he graduated from A&M. Not Joking. Watch the dinner scene when he talks to Jake Gyllenhaal's character about going fishing.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
davidka5h said:

One of the closeted homosexuals in Brokeback Mountain mentions he graduated from A&M. Not Joking. Watch the dinner scene when he talks to Jake Gyllenhaal's character about going fishing.
he was just a BQ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.