Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M in pop culture, post your sightings here

357,678 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by _mpaul
Bob Kelso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colbert Report on at least 3 occasions mentioning Aggie basketball, academic rankings, and Bob Gates.
Ragnar Danneskjold
Palooza11
AG
Bullmoose
AG
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/man-receives-%2444%2C000-toll-fine

Go to 53 second mark for video on the upper left, 44,000 dollars?

[This message has been edited by Bullmoose (edited 11/6/2010 12:55p).]
peacedude
AG
In Sublime's first major video (Love Is...What I Got), the guy that eventually died was wearing an A&M T-shirt. Don't know if that's been said yet.

BANA '97
oldjohnny
quote:

An episode of King of the Hill when Hank goes to South Padre with his mom and her friends not realizing its Spring Break. Talks to two college guys one wearing a Longhorn shirt, the other an Aggie one. Pretty sure he asks the Aggie how the team is looking that year.

That was actually Port Aransas for Spring Break. Here is a pic of it.

EDIT: This Rookie can't post pics

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080626100349/kingofthehill/images/thumb/1/1b/Escape_from_Party_Island.jpg/250px-Escape_from_Party_Island.jpg

There is another (back handed in a way) compliment in the last episode which mentions a fictional "Texas A&F" as the National Champions of Steak Inspection for consecutive years. The logo is very identical and the colors are also maroon.

[This message has been edited by oldjohnny (edited 11/6/2010 1:04p).]
Demosthenes81
AG
Bill Pekar, Colors are all the same in the dark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZNmkklpRY
DavisAg9
AG
Lil Keke (rapper from Houston) wearing an A&M hat.

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKj5_QLngqE
datballag
AG
There is a 2 second mention of a TAMU vs Rice score (we won) in the original Back to the Future. Marty is hanging on Biff's car as they ride to the dance.

[This message has been edited by datballag (edited 11/6/2010 1:14p).]
BeardedBear
AG
quote:
On one of my tours at A&M, our tour guide said that the character "Sully" from Monster's Inc was named after Sul Ross. Apparently, an Aggie is a pretty high up in Pixar.

Our Visual Studies program (through the college of arch) is actually one of the 3 schools in the nation that pixar, dreamworks, and ILM really pull from. A lot of those movies have little A&M things hidden in them because of all the aggies that work on the movies.

I went through the program, and heard the "Sully" rumor as well. I know there are also a few things hidden in finding nemo and cars.
JustisWalkert
AG
On an episode of "Black Sheep Squadron" it was revealed that French attended Texas A&M
j1s
AG
quote:
There is a 2 second mention of a TAMU vs Rice score (we won) in the original Back to the Future.

Since I'm a little bitter that you beat me posting this by like 20 minutes, I'm going to point out that it was actually Back to the Future Part II.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
There is another (back handed in a way) compliment in the last episode which mentions a fictional "Texas A&F" as the National Champions of Steak Inspection for consecutive years. The logo is very identical and the colors are also maroon.

Haha, I remember that one now. I took it as a compliment. Does A&M actually have a "meat" team like that?

And here's the pic of Hank drinking with the Ags

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 11/6/2010 1:38p).]
Human
AG
That pic is awesome...

May use it as my sig!!
Human
AG
That pic is awesome...

May use it as my sig!!
j1s
AG
I always assumed that Springfield A&M from the Simpsons episode "Homer Goes to College" was a nod at TAMU.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Springfield_A%26M
Worm01
AG
quote:

Rip Torn is not an Aggie, he started at A&M but transferred to Texas.

He actually is an Aggie. He got his undergrad from A&M in Animal Husbandry, then went to tu for a second degree. I guess that's technically "transferring", but he did graduate from A&M.

quote:
I've heard architecture students claim the old man character in the movie Up is based on one of the architecture profs. No doubt from Pixar workers from the VizLab.

I've never heard this, but it makes sense. He looks almost identical to Rodney Hill, a LONG TIME Professor in Langford.

quote:
julia roberts probably doesn't like College Station because her ex-husband is Lyle Lovett

She actually likes College Station quite a bit. It's ok to joke about places you like. Plus, she wasn't a writer for the movie, just a reader.
BeardedBear
AG
HAHA I never thought about the guy from UP being Rodney, but it makes complete since. I may shoot him a FB message to see if he knows anything about it.

I was really happy that they recognized him the other week at the football game. I think he's is def. one of the best profs at A&M.
rc_cat
The IMDB credits Kyle Field as the filming location for the greek games in Revenge of the Nerds. However, if you look at the stadium ( 0:28 in www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNj7sgrKlk ) - it doesn't look like Kyle Field in 1983/1984. (At least as best I could tell...)

Also, since all the other filming locations were in AZ, I'm not sure they would really come to College Station for one set of scenes.
bigmoneytexas
This thread is like asking for pop culture references on Beaumont.
Worm01
AG
Now that I think about it, he has the same walk as Hill, too.
BeardedBear
AG
Just shot Rodney a facebook message about it. My dad and I both had him as a prof ('77 and '09) which I thought was really cool.

Hopefully he can shed some light on the UP reference.
Bullmoose
AG
quote:
This thread is like asking for pop culture references on Beaumont.

At the end of Best Little *****house in Texas, look at the back of the UHAUL trailer, it was rented from Beaumont.
MW03
AG
In Friday Night Lights, Coach Taylor pulls some strings to get Smash Williams a walk-on tryout for A&M. The next season, there is a reference to him being ready to take on the role as starting tailack for the Aggies.
freakwastaken
AG
In True Blood season 2 one guy that is a vampire hater and eventually blows himself up mentions that he got a scholarship and played receiver for Texas A&M until he blew his knee out
CaddoAggie96
AG
Robert Earl Keen mentions A&M and being an Aggie in the Front Porch Song.
BeardedBear
AG
Rodney's Reply via facebook: (my name) thanks! There are lots of close friends at Pixar but I have no idea if the guy in UP is based on me. I heard that from some Ends students last spring.

[This message has been edited by BeardedBear (edited 11/6/2010 3:33p).]
DecadePlan
AG
I remember Greg Hood being mentioned on The Tonight Show the Monday after The Saber Incident.
Worm01
AG
Beardedbear: Nice! That would be funny if it's based on him.

Another one: IIRC, when Reveille was stolen in the mid-90's, the Mascot Corporal at the time made Letterman's Top 10 that week.
Mucho austin
AG
A few seasons ago on Big Brother the old guy from magnolia always wore a&m shirts.
anonymous6237
In "Bleachers" by John Grisham a character mentions having played for Tceh. He then mentions a career ending injury he suffered during a game against A&M. He makes a comment about how it was a cheap shot and he should have expected it considering who they were playing against. It's the only John Grisham book I haven't read
deanlives
i got this from IMDB.com trivia of a few good men.

"The Marine Corps drill team was portrayed by Texas A&M University's Corps of Cadets Fish Drill Team."

Flying Crowbar
AG
Martha Quinn, one of the original VJs on MTV, used to wear a Texas A&M University (or Texas Aggies, i cant remember) sweatshirt on the air. I searched but couldn't find any photos, though.
Tafelmeier94
AG
Tim McGraw has worn TAMU baseball caps
TXAdman
Sky Mall Catalog knows what sells.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203459767

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.