Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,559 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Happy New Year from SE NM!

I rang in 2020 just west of the Caprock in my tipi with an archery mule deer tag in my pocket.

Got a little service so here I am taking a mid day break. Spotted some deer from the truck yesterday around 4:30pm when I arrived and again this morning around 8:30.

Let the games begin.
shaynew1
AG
2020 gon be a good year.
agingcowboy
AG
Let's go!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agenjake
Wyoming mulies and pronghorn beware. The Texas boys are coming for you.
shaynew1
AG
Baby #2 is due in a few weeks. Hoping I can whack a NM antelope and a CO archery elk in one fell swoop like this last fall. I think anything past that is beyond optimistic.

But we'll see.
LEJ
Good start:

- 2 shooters located from same glassing position in opposite directions.

He's in there. Top center in the scrub.

shaynew1
AG
We need to see blood.
meggy09
AG
Who's got WY figured out? I haven't dug too far into it but all I want is to shoot a doe antelope with a rifle on public land as close to CO as possible. Do they draw limited license for doe? Are they really only $34 for nonres? If I draw a limited doe tag can I then get extras in the same unit?

Usually try to search better, but everything is so geared towards antlered animals, appreciate any help.

Also I ended up getting a gohunt account so if anyone doesn't want to shell out the $150 but wants me to run a search or two let me know.
harge57
AG
shaynew1 said:

Baby #2 is due in a few weeks. Hoping I can whack a NM antelope and a CO archery elk in one fell swoop like this last fall. I think anything past that is beyond optimistic.

But we'll see.

Baby #2 due on 2/1 for me as well. Don't have my plan quite put together yet. Have points in WY and CO. NM and MT are always in play.

Got the mule deer itch this year.
trip
AG
Interested in Montana
aggie0959
Got an elk in 2019 going for a muley in 2020.
agenjake
meggy09 said:

Who's got WY figured out? I haven't dug too far into it but all I want is to shoot a doe antelope with a rifle on public land as close to CO as possible. Do they draw limited license for doe? Are they really only $34 for nonres? If I draw a limited doe tag can I then get extras in the same unit?
  • Antelope doe/fawn are limited license, random draws.
  • You can draw up to two (2) doe/fawn tags through the random draw. Can't remember off the top of my head if you draw once for two in the same area, or if they are processed as separate draws.
  • Some of the areas in the southeast portion of the state have high percentage odds, but be aware that some of them have very limited public access.
  • If there are leftover tags after the random draw (deadline May 31st), then there is a second leftover tag draw in June or July.
  • If there happen to be leftover tags after that drawing, then they can be purchased first come, first served.
  • There are limits to the total number of doe/fawn tags you can draw.
  • Yes, antelope doe tags are pretty cheap. $30-40.
AgEng06
AG
It has begun.
meggy09
AG
Awesome, thanks!
stdeb11
AG
Let's do this!!!
LEJ

AgEng06
AG
choot em lizabeth
shaynew1
AG
SHOOT THAT MOTHER.
shaynew1
AG
im so jealous. you've just ruined my day. good luck i guess.
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

im so jealous. you've just ruined my day. good luck i guess.
same here
harge57
AG
LEJ said:

BurrOak
AG
I'm betting he's already down.
LEJ
I wish. Doe is spooky. Big boy just focused on her. Gotta young buck bird doggin.

Conditions getting better for a stalk. Be perfect after I take this fear dump.
LEJ
Wind in my face. Back to the sun. Been hunkered down about 150 yards from the little bird dog buck for about 30+ minutes now.

He's been trailing Harry n Sally at 50 -100 yards behind since I spotted them this am, so I assume I'm within 250 y or less. Gonna use him as an indicator instead of trying to slip past him, esp since I don't have eyes on the shooter.

Low odds, high excitement (at times). Might take a quick nap.
shaynew1
AG
Godspeed.
LEJ
Was going pretty well for a while but that little fork horn peckerhead was my downfall. Got to ~ 150 of the big buck. Glassed around to make sure all clear and the little guy had me pegged at less than 100.

I probably should have just sat tight and let him make a play. I don't think these desert deer see very many people and a lot of times they'll forget about you after a while, esp during the rut. But instead, I put up my deke. He circled downwind of me at 35 y and then skinned out.

He didn't take the rest of them with him right away but that's what finally happened.

Spotted another shooter (not as big) in another area and may just try to get on him as he looked to be solo and cruising.

This is pretty much a desert giant

Post removed:
by user
shaynew1
AG
jayelbee said:

Been waiting for this thread. I'm a new big game hunter and so far I've been looking at all of the raffles and supertag type hunts since without 15+ points there are several things like sheep and moose that I'll never really get an opportunity to hunt by putting in for standard draw.

Other than that, I would like to find my way into one guaranteed draw western rifle hunt next year. I don't have a lot of friends too interested in a backcountry hunt and the ones that are aren't dependable, so that most likely puts me going solo for a cow elk or mule deer best I can tell.

How are you at flinging arrers?

ETA I know you asked about rifle, but there's far more opportunities to get out there with a bow.
Post removed:
by user
shaynew1
AG
Oh but it's beautiful when you do
hbc07
AG
In for 2020! Haven't figured out my plan yet, but going to try my first DIY hunt. Possibly NM & OR elk though. Still have to sort out the logistics of how all this crap works.
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm doing OTC rifle2 gmu77 in 2020 so I'll be in for a pref. point.
Have 1 muley point now so I'll grab a muley tag incase I see one.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In!

I should have a hunt for speed goats and elk in 2020, both in CO.
FSGuide
jayelbee said:

Been waiting for this thread. I'm a new big game hunter and so far I've been looking at all of the raffles and supertag type hunts since without 15+ points there are several things like sheep and moose that I'll never really get an opportunity to hunt by putting in for standard draw.

Other than that, I would like to find my way into one guaranteed draw western rifle hunt next year. I don't have a lot of friends too interested in a backcountry hunt and the ones that are aren't dependable, so that most likely puts me going solo for a cow elk or mule deer best I can tell.

You can do guaranteed draw in Wyoming in certain areas. Me & my buddy went 2 years in a row outside of Cody. Email me and I'll fill you in.
K_P
AG
Lurked for the back half of last year... going to go on my first trip this year, just need to figure it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.