Outdoors
Sponsored by

Western States Draw Deadlines: 2017

158,258 Views | 1605 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the AGC harness and I keep my range finder either in the front pocket or in a FHF pouch thats attached to the right side of my bino harness. I go back and forth which way I like more.
Lungblood
Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak C.U.B MAX Bino Harness-Kryptek Highlander

Like this?
shaynew1
AG
Yes. I've had a few different ones and I like the cub w/ max pocket the best. I got dat coyote brown one thou.
shaynew1
AG
I also like the bungee better than the buckles to keep the lid closed.
Lungblood
Alaska Guide Creations X50 Classic Bino Harness-Kryptek Highlander

What's the difference b/w cub and x50?
shaynew1
AG
Size. Cub fits 10x42s, x50 fits the x50s.
agingcowboy
AG
I use FHF Gear harness and range finder pouch. It's served me well for the last 3 seasons.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
I have the AGC Cub w/ Max pocket as well, but mine is in Fusion. I love it.
BullSprig07
AG

Anyone have any experience with marsupial? Found it on the goHunt store, apparently their staff is high on it for archery purposes specifically because it's easy to open and grab your knockers with one hand while keeping your bow in the other. I personally like to grab knockers with both hands for the full effect....
shaynew1
AG
7k head in four states filmed, edited, uploaded. Aaaaand I don't even get to go to the sale now.
AgEng06
AG
Looks pretty serviceable and a lot like the AGC and FHF harnesses.

Also for the record, I have no issues operating my AGC harness with 1 hand.
Lungblood

Quote:

Size. Cub fits 10x42s, x50 fits the x50s.
Doh
Lungblood
It looks like the cub weighs more but carries less than the x50...?!?

Yes, it's only 4oz more but oz = lb and lb = pain.
shaynew1
AG
I don't sweat a few ounces *flex*

After staring at a computer all of yesterday and most of the morning I got outside and flung a handful.

Third group at forty after some tinkering w a ridiculously 3" dampener (not stabilizer). It is not a pleasure to aim. I don't think I can not go buy something if I'm going to take a compound. It will take $300 in stabilizers to avoid it.
Lungblood

Quote:

3" dampener

wut?
shaynew1
AG

this worthless thing
shaynew1
AG
At least worthless on this bow.
Lungblood
Where does it reside?
shaynew1
AG
Where a proper stabilizer ought to go
Sean98
AG
Get rid of that and go get you a B-Stinger Pro Hunter Maxx or something similar.
shaynew1
AG
The counter slide looks interesting. But I may sell some stuff laying around and hunt up a used bow somewhere.
Sean98
AG
...man... I am out of shape. Out of running shape, out of shooting shape, everything. I can't send more than about 30 arrows downrange before I start getting a little wobbly. And my left shoulder is giving me fits. Being old, fat, and lazy sucks.
Sean98
AG
That arrow isn't going to fly right anymore.

The good news is the groups after tightening up. ... Back to 5 spot. No more shooting two arrows at the same target.
shaynew1
AG
But groups are sexy
shaynew1
AG
How do you see those tiny little dots from any reasonable distance?
stdeb11
AG
Got the bow tuned up Monday at the shop, and shot it some more yesterday morning. Did a couple rounds of walk back tuning and it seemed good enough (for now). So any erratic flight is mostly on me now--no more excuses. Time to get back in good shooting form and habits.

Did manage to put some lead down range in a few rifles today to get ready for mule deer and antelope season.
Sean98
AG
Groups are sexy. ...but they're also damned expensive. I rarely shoot groups at less than 40-50 yards, but trying to lock in a little right now I've been shooting 3 arrows per spot at 25 and 30. But I'm starting to see some ($$) damage.

Those spots aren't too bad at 45 or 50, but after that it's difficult. My pins at 45 and beyond are only 0.010, so they're pretty small.
shaynew1
AG
Gotdang rationalization.

I want to go shoot a prime centergy hybrid w 80 lb limbs.

Lungblood
shaynew1
AG
Now I'm ready for the day
arrow
AG
I took my family to Colorado for the Fourth. Since I didn't draw Colorado this year there wasn't any real scouting done. But it's always nice to see mule deer, elk, and goats in the mountains. I got some good miles on my new Superfeet insoles. This was also my first time to use Exo's 2000 cu-in bag.

Fishing with the goats in Arapaho National Forest:

I've seen a lot of goats in the San Juans during hunting trips, but this is as close as I've ever been to them. Had two in bow range. Cool animals. I'm going to BC next year for a goat hunt so this was a nice surprise.

Exo's crib load panel works great for kids:

AgEng06
AG
Nice pics. I'm assuming the one with the goat in the background was on purpose? If not, that's even cooler.

And I love my Exo 2000. I'm about to buy a 5500 to go with it.
Sean98
AG
Great pics. Goats, as long as you don't try to hide from them, are stupid. Where we mule deer hunt (near Breck) they will walk up to you to drink your urine off the ground. Literally all you have to do is start peeing and they'll run to you. You can pet them.

My last mule deer hunt up there (about 4 years ago) we ran into a TV show film crew as they were scouting for goats because they had drawn a tag. We laid out what we knew about the local goats. They obviously (for TV, and I believe personal reasons) didn't want to hunt them that way. About 6 months after we got home I happen to stumble upon their TV show and lo and behold they kill a goat. To their credit, they tried to hunt goats the hard way, struck out, and then killed one on top where we showed them. ...they didn't try to sugar coat it at all.
BullSprig07
AG
I have a question for arrow or you other guys following along on the "binoculars" thread. What do you guys think about Caladan's thoughts on 10x42 vs 10x50 and the extra minutes of light you get with a 50mm making it "in his opinion" the ideal hunting spec. Dude obviously knows his stuff when it comes to glass but I don't think he's a hunter. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my first set of nice binos and been locked in on 10x42 but he made me think a little bit about 10x50.
AgEng06
AG
I don't have any experience w/ x50 binos, but the science behind what he's saying is correct. In some instances it might be worth the few extra minutes of visibility you get from the 50s.

I believe he uses binos a lot for birdwatching, which is still looking at/for animals, sometimes in low light. The advantages there would be the same as when hunting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.