Outdoors
Sponsored by

Western States Draw Deadlines: 2017

158,267 Views | 1605 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I put in for the two Coue's units as my first two choices, thinking I wouldn't have a chance, and Unit 37 as my 3rd, seeing as how I have drawn there the last two years and been successful. Figured I'd at least probably draw there.

I didn't put in for the Burro Mtns, just the overall unit.

Elk are hard enough to hit with a tradbow, can't imagine getting trying to get a shot off at a miniature, wary version of normal whitetail.
AgEng06
AG
Sounds awesome. Good luck man.
AgEng06
AG
Also, I just found Lungblood on Rokslide...
Lungblood
How you do that?
AgEng06
AG
Your custom t-shirt gave you away.
Sean98
AG
Lungblood said:

How you do that?
Because you were the one humping shaynew's leg?

Draw results both make me sad that I didn't apply anywhere this year, and happy... that I didn't apply anywhere this year.
Lungblood
That sumbeeth is a professional luker, but you can tell when someone has viewed your profile so I rattled his cage. He's probably off flingin ers at fat pigs.
shaynew1
AG
Lungblood said:

That sumbeeth is a professional luker, but you can tell when someone has viewed your profile so I rattled his cage. He's probably off flingin ers at fat pigs

I'm a professional at a number of things. Loading lots of cattle this time of year though so not much time for killin.

I am going to try to make a 3d shoot in Waco Saturday if I get done in time. 3 trucks to load early AM then on to glory.
AgEng06
AG
Lungblood said:

That sumbeeth is a professional luker, but you can tell when someone has viewed your profile so I rattled his cage. He's probably off flingin ers at fat pigs.
Que?
shaynew1
AG
AgEng06
AG
Ahh, on Rokslide. I hadn't seen that before, but I thought he was talking about TA. Got it.
Lungblood
And star free PMs for Errrrbody
Lungblood
But I'll buy 3 gd gold stars if I kill a buck in NM this year.
shaynew1
AG
Whacked another one. 35 yards...point on. Good release, great flight, and most satisfying thwack. Made it to the bushes but I suspect I can find that one tmw. Mostly because I want my arrow and broadhead back.
Lungblood
Post pics with raw hog liver
AgEng06
AG
So goHunt and toprut had a little disagreement on Rokslide the other day about calculating NV draw odds, which prompted this post on toprut: http://www.toprut.com/news/2017/04/14/gohunt-nevada-draw-odds-miss-target/

I don't know which one of them is correct, but it's funny for me either way...
Sean98
AG
stdeb11
AG

That is funny reading their argument about the way the math is done
shaynew1
AG
Been jammed up since daylight. Just got my horse unsaddled and have enough time to get all hopped up on caffeine and head out w my bow!
Lungblood
Saddle that pony back up and doink a pig injun style. Just consider it before you say no.
Lungblood
stdeb11 said:

That is funny reading their argument about the way the math is done

Uh, I didn't really think the poster "toprut" was actually with the company. That's a bad look.
shaynew1
AG
ADRENALINE
shaynew1
AG
Here is how I ran out of arrows tonight:

So. Show up to retrieve previously mentioned arrows. I start the evening with two arrows being too lazy to go dig some new broadheads out before I head out. Hoping the one I shot just crossed onto the neighbors into the brush and laid up and died. Storm was blowing in as I got out of my truck and had a good steady wind to walk into. See two big sows and some piggies in the pasture I shot the one last night right in the direction I needed to head. Spend 20 minutes working my way up to them. Basically just walking right up to them. Got to about 35 yards of one when she turned her head just right and decided she didn't like me and they trotted off. Its pretty easy to kill them like that with a compound, but this stupid recurve.

Anyway. Work my way down the fence when I see another sounder ahead of me a couple hundred yards away, about 30 yards into a scattering of trees. Hell yes I can walk right to you mofos with this wind and that cover. So I did. Cover that ground in about ten minutes and am 40 yards away from ten or so. Watched them for a bit. Got some funny pictures of a teeny little baby jumping up on and walking around on top of a sow that was laid down. Smaller sow was feeding her way to me. A few minutes pass and shes about 20 yards away...about to be laid out. BUT WAIT. I see two big hogs meandering towards this sounder through the brush across the fence. One is a big sumbich. Getting bigger by the second. And he was black with fierce red spots and looked awesome. I never get excited about shooting hogs but this guy I wanted. I was gonna put him on facebook and send to all my friends and tag the proshop that sold me this bow and be ****ing bad to the bone. He couldn't get under the fence directly in line with the herd on my side so he has to come my direction to a wash and get under there. Happened to be about 15 yards in front of where I was standing inconspicuously next to a cedar elm. You are dead son. Internet fame. Big hog. Stick bow. He comes under the fence and poses broadside at 15 yards.

And I fling one over his back into the bushes.

DANG. I am not happy about this one. I guess this was good practice because I wasn't methodical in my shot process at all. They don't really spook but trot off before I can shoot anything else. I hop the fence hoping to find my arrow. I hear some babies grunting and rustling in the bushes a few yards ahead of me. Its very thick so we can't see each other, but they are nerf football sized so I don't care...like I could hit one of those mofos anyway. Suddenly an 80lb sow surprises the **** out of me and jumps out of that bush. I have an arrow in the air before I realize it and it sails over her also. Son of a ***** and I'm out of arrows now. I jog up to dig that one out of a bush...whew I have one bullet. Meander along in the brush a little ways to where our pasture makes a corner.

Where Lo, I see another sounder 300 yards to the south. Looked like a big sow and some babies But I'm on the brush side of the fence so I can cover that ground quick.. With my one arrow. Hustle about 2/3rd of the way there where I sneak out to the fence line to make sure they're still hanging out. Wind is ok..steady crosswind with the storm blowing in, and fairly loud to give me some sound cover. I see they are meandering back towards the brush, so I get a little deeper and start creeping up to cut them off.

Step. Listen. Step. Listen...slipping in close. I'll be able to hear and smell them before we see each other. My lone arrow is knocked and this is going to go down close enough that even I can foul it up.

then

I HEAR THE CRASH, CRUNCH, CRASH OF SOMETHING BARRELING THROUGH THE BRUSH. About 10 yards up this trail from me I see a boar bombing out of the bushes. Kinda right at me. No, exactly right at me. MY GOD HES COMING TO GET SOME. I've seen a lot of hogs. I've seen a lot of them spooked and running, and upset and happy. This guy knew I was there and he was headed to let me know how he felt about it. And what a thrill it was. Bring it on son. I didn't want to be anywhere else in the universe. I reckon he was only about 250 lbs, but man it was me with my stone age weapon and this guy toe to toe. I sort a lot of cattle in alleys so bad mofos coming at me face on is my wheelhouse..and he was about 600 pounds short of something that would scare me. Side step and fling an arrow at him. Hit him right in the middle around his last rib.

And I am jacked, jack. He ran off with my arrow hanging out of him. And I am now out of bullets. I let him have his bushes for the night.

I still have not officially killed anything.
Sean98
AG
I think you have killed 2 things unofficially. Now stop worrying about hog balls and start shooting them baby makers!
Sean98
AG
Also, you keep losing arrows, in pigs or not, and we're gonna ask you and Giddings to create a joint thread.
shaynew1
AG
I have to buy some more. AND more broadheads. This is an expensive hobby.
Lungblood
By far... This is your best story yet, and I will likely read it again, as it is the funniest sht I've read in a long while.
Lungblood
But keep at it. I admire your perseverance in the face of self inflicted adversity.
shaynew1
AG
Lungblood said:

But keep at it. I admire your perseverance in the face of self inflicted adversity.
How else can I become and expert by September?

When I do finally have a picture of one dead on the ground w my bow next to it, no one but you guys will know how mother ducking difficult it was.
Lungblood
shaynew1 said:

Lungblood said:

How else can I become and expert by September?

There is no other way.
Sean98
AG
shaynew1 said:

When I do finally have a picture of one dead on the ground w my bow next to it...

Odds the dead pig with the bow next to it is on a road with tire tracks across his back?
Sean98
AG
And while I am slightly jealous you have an animal to chase with your recurve what I get most out of your story is how awesome it is to not have dirty, stinking pigs where I live.

But keep it up! Kill em all!
AgLA06
AG
Probably pretty good. Unless it's McGibblets.

Then it will just be tire tracks and a lot of words.
shaynew1
AG
Sean98 said:

shaynew1 said:

When I do finally have a picture of one dead on the ground w my bow next to it...

Odds the dead pig with the bow next to it is on a road with tire tracks across his back?

There is literally one in the ditch across the road from my house right now.
AgEng06
AG
Great story man. Keep at 'em. When you finally get your pic, at least we'll all know it was a helluva journey.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.