Outdoors
Sponsored by

Western States Draw Deadlines: 2017

158,049 Views | 1605 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
Lungblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It has begun...

shaynew1
AG
Dang you read my mind. Was going to start this very thread today at lunch
shaynew1
AG
Tell me about the weminuche and how a willin man might pack some meat out of there
AgEng06
AG
In for the discussion.

Since I went to AZ in January, I might not make a fall trip West. I'm hoping to maybe hit some Panhandle antelope though...
Texmid
AG
Have any of you hunted Area 81 in Colorado? If so, where in that unit did you hunt? Were you successful? Did you have to hike in?

We have never hunter Colorado. Unit 51 in New Mexico, just south of 81 in Colorado, is where I have done almost all of my elk hunting. We are putting in for the New Mexico draw for Unit 51. If we don't draw out we may buy a bull tag over the counter for 81.
arrow
AG
I've got to get Utah in next week. Haven't decided yet if I'll throw my name in the hat for Wyoming sheep this year or just pick up a point. I hate those upfront tag fees. That one is due next week too.

I'm adding New Mexico elk this year.
My most likely 2017 hunt is using my Colorado deer points. I'm hoping to get two western hunts this year. Colorado deer and either New Mexico or Idaho elk.
PFG
AG
F the Colorado Pref Point system. I'm nearly done loaning them $1G every spring just to watch point creep push me further away from the units I want to draw.

If I had to do it over again, I'd avoid the Pref point system all together. Hunt DIY OTC units, get to know them well, and save my cash for big bucket list hunts like Africa, big sheep, Alaska, etc.
Texmid
AG
arrow said:

I've got to get Utah in next week. Haven't decided yet if I'll throw my name in the hat for Wyoming sheep this year or just pick up a point. I hate those upfront tag fees. That one is due next week too.

I'm adding New Mexico elk this year.
My most likely 2017 hunt is using my Colorado deer points. I'm hoping to get two western hunts this year. Colorado deer and either New Mexico or Idaho elk.
Which unit in New Mexico?
Lungblood
shaynew1 said:

Tell me about the weminuche and how a willin man might pack some meat out of there

Great physical and mental preparation
Strong desire
Heart
Mountain horses
Good fortune

These might get you there. I don't really know for certain.

The Weminuche is one of the most beautiful, humbling, and captivating places I've ever hunted... Or been to even.

It's my favorite place in the world.... Sort of both my friend and my nemesis.

I think about being there every day. I picture the hikes I've made in, and the ones I will in the future.

I think about the buck I missed 2 seasons ago and the bull stalk I blew, the cow I drew on, and the bull I called in to 45 yards (my first)... [dream sequence end]

To answer your question literally, 2 guys could certainly pack a muley and gear out on foot... 1 trip. The mule deer I want to hunt this year are 8 miles in (starting from 8500 at the TH to 11k at base camp.... Then another 1000 vertical feet to the Alpine basins and rockslides those deer hang around).

You'd need 4 guys to pack an elk and gear out in 1 trip... In that country.

My solo/archery/elk goal is to kill one and get him/her out on my own. This will require horses.
shaynew1
AG
You can't talk about it like that in February.
Lungblood
Its practically March. I'm already in pre-rut.
shaynew1
AG
A senseless cousin and I are wanting to put in for a 75/751 a deer tag and the obligatory just in case otc elk.
arrow
AG
Texmid said:

Which unit in New Mexico?
TBD. Currently, the outfitter I've selected is on a wait list for the Gila (15 and 16s). So we haven't finalized the units. If not one of the Gila units, we will be up north on the Colorado border where you've hunted (4, 50, 51, 52, 53.)

I'm going to enter the outfitter draw to increase my draw odds. The hunt will be an unguided hunt, with the outfitter providing wall tent, meals, and packing services. High class by my usual standards.
AggielandPoultry
AG
Texmid I hunt unit 81 in Colorado often and have hunted unit 51 in New Mexico twice in the past 4 years. I can help answer some questions. Busy now but will respond to questions when able.
Sean98
AG
Lungblood said:

It has begun...

I got mine late last week and used it to start a prescribed burn on Saturday. Best use I could figure for it.
AgEng06
AG
At least there's a muley on the cover... and not one of those soulless heathen elk.
Sean98
AG
True. And I do love hunting alpine muleys. It's awesome.

My buddy is going back this year and wants me to go, but I'm not done being mad at Colorado yet.
shaynew1
AG
Is there anything worse you can do to a place than killing and eating its denizens?
AggielandPoultry
AG
Love hunting Colorado, I now have a horse and two saddle mules that make the trip with me and my Dad each year. Unless we draw New Mexico that is.
harge57
AG
Wyoming elk results come out on 2/28. I am expecting to get a general tag as I had 2 points, but hope my brother is on the good side of 17% odds.
cc_ag92
AG
Looking forward to my first elk hunt this year. We are putting in for fourth season in zone 24.
GatorAg03
AG
Hunting Idaho this year. Drawing for some long odds elk and deer units but most likely going OTC Mulies in late October when we strike out.
bedofbrass33
AG
Is there a thread on the board about how to get started with all this as far as choosing an area, species, gear, etc?

I'd love to hunt out west but would have to be 100% DIY. Hunted white tail in Texas all my life but camping + stalking + packing out appears to be an entirely different beast.
AgEng06
AG
I tried to start a western hunting thread last year with all types of info but it never took off. Maybe you can have better luck.
bedofbrass33
AG
Just read that NM wants $548 for a non-resident elk license. Lol at that. I'm out.
AgEng06
AG
Don't look at CO then...
Chetos
AG
Came here actually expecting to see a list of deadliness...don't tell me I have to google it myself!!!
Lungblood
We can remedy that...

New Mexico - March 22

Colorado - April 4th
Sean98
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

Just read that NM wants $548 for a non-resident elk license. Lol at that. I'm out.
That is probably the cheapest non res elk tag out there.
shaynew1
AG
Don't forget license and habitat fees!
Texmid
AG
My total for the New Mexico draw was $622.
arrow
AG
Texmid said:

My total for the New Mexico draw was $622.

+ Fuel = Bargain vacation in the mountains with chance to fill freezer.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Is there an OTC option for muleys in CO? Not super familiar with their regs
Lungblood
tx-ags14 said:

Is there an OTC option for muleys in CO? Not super familiar with their regs

No otc on muleys in colo. But... You can draw a tag with 1 point ... If you're willing to abuse your mind and body for a week.
Sean98
AG
I've applied twice and been drawn twice (for archery). Work the draw results charts over and you'll find areas to draw with no points necessary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.