Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,862 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to public duck spot. Haven't seen the lake in a year but I know it like my back yard. Going with extra precautions due to flooding earlier in the year though. My last real chance to get after birds before split
AggieChemist
AG
18 degrees. Nothing moving yet.
Knucklesammich
Coleman County just out of Valera ...showers just moved through. 59 degrees and just heard a shot way off to the northeast

Nothing yet
shaynew1
AG
Came out this morning but I need to get busy before too much longer.
highvelocity
AG
I WILL FINALLY BE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS TREAD TOMORROW
Watchful Ag
AG
highvelocity said:

Urban style with the trunk monkey?
highvelocity
AG
Watchful Ag said:

highvelocity said:

Urban style with the trunk monkey?
hopefully not.

more like paul bunyan style with the ar-10 on some piggies and maybe a doe if my buddy lets me (his place, not mine)
phdag
htxag09 said:

Where are you at?

South of Magnolia.

Nothing this morning either.. oh well I will let my spot rest a few days.
mattyd383
AG
25 degrees this morning in cynthania kentucky. First time out in 2 years. I almost forgot how peaceful and relaxing this is. Saw 8 deer, 2 small bucks, 4 small does and 2 shooter does. The rut is on here and it's day 1 so I'm holding out for their big bad boyfriends. 3 days left.
cledus6150
AG
Finally getting around to posting a few picks, I have seen some nice young deer and two shooters. Unfortunately for me my estimation of drop was off by a few inches and cut a leg on what is an extremely tall heavy 10 at a little over 500 yards opening weekend. Good news is that I saw him on the morning of the 20th chasing a doe wounded leg and all as well as sparring with a mature 20" 10 again all happening at a long distance. so I will be hard after him every weekend I can until the season is over. below are a few pics of some of our youngsters from my place in grimes county.

cledus6150
AG

This is the top deer in the first pick, he has a small kicker on one of his G2's he will be a nice buck in another couple years.

This is the wide deer in the second pic he is a young 8 that just needs some time.

A nice change of scenery, always fun to watch a bobcat hunt.
gigemJTH12
AG
so jealous of you. That close to Houston and College station and that caliber of deer?

dsharp90
AG
Man I need to find a lease closer to Houston than Freer, TX.... Anyone know of anything in 2017 opening up looking for a son (me)/father combo? Or even where to start looking?
cledus6150
AG
Thank you sir we have been blessed to have the place, its been in the family since somewhere around the 1830's. When I was a kid we where lucky to see a buck, but since my dad has started managing it "about 15 years ago" we have seen a drastic change. We kill a mature buck off of it almost every year and seen at least one or two additional mature deer. I have three deer in the 130's and we have taken an 8 and a 10 both in the 150's off of the place. It just goes to show that a little mgmt. can go along way with the quality of deer you see.
AgLA06
AG
What part of Grimes? We used to hunt in northern Grimes when I was a kid and it was a miracle to see something with antlers among the 40 does. Have antler restrictions improved things that much?
cledus6150
AG
On 1696 between iola and bedias, antler restriction have helped a little but our neighbors not hunting and shooting everything that walks has helped more.
Knucklesammich
80 degrees in Valera this afternoon. Nothing moving at the moment.

Except wasps/hornets scoping out my blind for their orgy of pre dawn stinging death.
shaynew1
AG
Don't qualify for in the stand but parked about 1500 yds off the far fence line overlooking a big oat pasture gettin phone work knocked out in the truck
Lungblood
You gotta 1500 yard pin?
shaynew1
AG
Nah just got the glass w me
AgEng06
AG
Lungblood said:

You gotta 1500 yard pin?
Psssh... you don't?
shaynew1
AG
I maybe got a ruger #1 w me also but I haven't shot a deer in 12 years. It will have to be a big un for me to sell out and unsaddle my high horse.
DimeBox17
AG
Please tell me none of you guys that hunt in Lee County just shot over 20 times in the past 10 minutes.
FirefightAg
AG
Two other guys showed up so we hunted together. Had a group of 8 pintail work well and I knocked a hen down and had one sail 400+ yards (water,land, water) not found. They missed 2 mallards as I was searching. Not a lot of birds around. Had a group of spoonies work twice but never did it.

Our lone bird. [Her first duck retrieve]

Did see this

Now she's done. Searching for cripples and long walk ins are tough.

shaynew1
AG
Dang lookin at a big ol maybe
AgLA06
AG
#DBAP.

They taste good regardless of antler size
Sean98
AG
Don't listen to him! He'd better be damn big if you're considering cheating in order to kill him!!
shaynew1
AG
There was only one way to find out
Chazz03
AG
OutdoorsAg_10 said:

Please tell me none of you guys that hunt in Lee County just shot over 20 times in the past 10 minutes.

Ooops sorry about that, got a little excited
shaynew1
AG
1000 yards of creepin and crawlin, 300 yards of shootin, 55 grains of fury, moderate amount of shame

Lungblood
They don't grow on trees like that in Groesbeckistan. Nice.

AgEng06
AG
For shame...

Just kidding man, nice work!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice buck!

What caliber were you using for a 300yd shot with a 55gr bullet on a whitetail?
shaynew1
AG
.22-250. A gentleman's caliber.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
shaynew1 said:

.22-250. A gentleman's caliber.

Well done! I knew it wasn't a .223 but was having a brain fart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.