Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,906 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rufneck said:

Let me just go ahead and say that all yall that are sitting in deer stands in 20 something degree weather (without a heater) waiting for a deer to walk about are freaking nuts!!!

I hunt and I fish and have wade fished with temps in the 40's trying to catch a sow trout, but sitting there in a stand with it really cold is just something that I'm not cut out to do!!
Someone please give me the laugh/cry.
yaterag
AG
I was waiting for your reply Sean after seeing that post. Only the hardcover crazies were out today up here when it was -9. And I assume you were amongst them.
Sean98
AG
Damn sure betcha. Yesterday was actually worse in the field thanks to the 40mph wind even though it was more than 20* warmer.
Sean98
AG
But seriously, I realize it's more than a little nuts to be out in weather like this. At least with bird hunting I'm on the move and generating some body heat. It's the 3 F's you have to watch out for. Feet, face, and fingers. Yesterday the issue was mostly fingers.
highvelocity
AG
i dont see a wedding ring...
ABATTBQ87
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Is anyone else concerned about a gun muzzle pointing towards mcgibblets?
Colt98
AG
We actually got a doe. Unfortunitly it was a team effort as my son learned a valuable lesson on deer quartering towards you. He had a high shoulder shot. She probably would have bled out but I didn't feel like waiting that long so as she was running across the field she stopped at 200 yards and I dropped her with the 308. I have 2 more mld tags to fill, so I'll give him another chance later this week.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
The rifle was cleared for the photo session.

K Thx Bai
Furlock Bones
AG
saw your stand set up on facebook. love that high vantage point. reminds me of a place we used to hunt in S. Tx. 25 foot tower on a 30-40 foot drop off. could see forever.
MasterAggie
AG
Quote:

Is anyone else concerned about a gun muzzle pointing towards mcgibblets?
I'm not. It's pointed in front of him and unloaded. I would know. I took that pic.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Went scouting for ducks. It was a comfortable 28 gale force wind degrees... I at least saw a crap ton of ducks.

806aggie18
AG
It was 25degrees at 3:00 in motley county when we left the truck. We got to the blind and spooked the two bucks I've been watching since last year, that just happened to be hanging out with each other today. They were about 20 yards from the blind. Shortly after, a trio of spikes came out and gave us something to watch until the sun went down, but missing out on the big ones sucks
txaggie02
AG
**** just got real with the rut in full swing. Seen new bucks both this morning and evening. He's a standup 11 with 2-3" kickers off both G2s. Hunting until Wednesday so hopefully the stars line up...

OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Rachel 98
AG
What county are you in?
txaggie02
AG
Webb County. Some pretty solid mass for a young deer. Lots of potential!!

highvelocity
AG
would be so hard to pass on
giddings_ag_06
AG
txaggie02 said:

Webb County. Some pretty solid mass for a young deer. Lots of potential!!

Agreed! What is he, a 6 or a 4 point with no brows?
powerbelly
AG
The rain did wonders for our deer this year in Webb.
Pignorant
AG
I would shoot that deer and not even think twice about it. Just me personally.
powerbelly
AG
Pignorant said:

Why would you shoot a young deer with lots of potential? Based on his past posts there are much better deer to go after.
txaggie02
AG
Can't shoot 170s if you kill em when they are 150s. That's only a 4.5 year old deer. I saw him last year a lot too. He needs to mature to maximize his potential and also needs to spend another year or so pounding some does. Outside of the short G2s, those are the genetics you want.
powerbelly
AG
txaggie02 said:

Can't shoot 170s if you kill em when they are 150s. That's only a 4.5 year old deer. I saw him last year a lot too. He needs to mature to maximize his potential and also needs to spend another year or so pounding some does. Outside of the short G2s, those are the genetics you want.
Ding, Ding, Ding
Pignorant
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Pignorant said:

Why would you shoot a young deer with lots of potential? Based on his past posts there are much better deer to go after.
Should have clarified... I hunt in East Texas so if I see a deer like that then it's a no brainer for me to shoot.
SteveBott
AG
Finally get to post I'm in the stand. With my son as a bonus. Ran off two doe walking in.
SabineAg
AG
I've been in the stand every hunt Sunday-Tuesday this season. Been following beautiful bucks on the game cameras. Every week I seem to see their patterns and find a new one coming in and every week I have yet to have an opportunity to shoot. This morning I finally got a glimpse in person of the buck ive been after for a couple weeks as he teased me from 450 yards away.

Hoping that venting on here will swing my luck and he will walk out in the next 30 minutes...
Ag210
AG
Well??
Furlock Bones
AG
i see thin brows.
SabineAg
AG
Unfortunately had nada. Hopefully I can give a more exciting follow up tomorrow
Rachel 98
AG
Okay I know this is the bow hunting thread but I couldn't find the rifle hunting one! All set up in Lee County, 35 and still, looking for something to kill!
Rachel 98
AG
Have seen this guy on the trail cams and want to see him in real life today. Not going to kill him, just want to see him:

txaggie02
AG
RM98 said:

Okay I know this is the bow hunting thread...

Far from it. More rifle hunters posting than bow hunters.
AgsMnn
AG
Where at in Lee
Bighunter43
AG
Lee County as well. They moved late yesterday....one doe so far today.
Rachel 98
AG
Over just north of Lexington. Have seen 4 does and one very wary 4 point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.