Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,875 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
clintaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess I am confused.

Feeder goes off at 7.

Yesterday I got to the stand at 630. Feeder went off at 30 minutes later.

Today I got to the stand at 630. Feeder had gone off 30 minutes earlier.

If I would have adjusted the actual time, not feeding time, on my feeders last night, it would have gone off at 7, or 30 minutes after I got in the stand.

I'm sure I'm wrong somehow, but what is off about what I'm saying?
Sean98
AG
It was lethal light based on being 28 minutes before sunrise (legal at 30 minutes before in Kansas). But I'm hunting in a thick block of hedge and Locust timber this morning and I couldn't see well enough to make an ethical shot with my bow.

I don't rifle hunt anymore. Those days are way behind me.
Sean98
AG
If you got to the stand at the same time as yesterday then you arrived 1 hour later than yesterday in terms of sunrise. Your feeder clock didn't auto change the way your phone did. So if your feeder went off 30 after sunrise yesterday then, despite the magic of Daylight savings, it still went off 30 minutes after sunrise this morning.

I got to the stand at 6:30 yesterday. I got to the stand at FIVE thirty today. If you arrived at 6:30 both days despite the time change then you were late.

You may have showed up an hour late but relatively speaking the feeder went off at the same time as yesterday.
clintaggie04
AG
Gotcha. You are correct in relation to sunrise. I got to the stand way before sunrise yesterday and right at sunrise today. I never really think like that and I guess I should. I just set my alarm for 1 hour before my feeders go off.
FirefightAg
AG
And now you know.
AgBass01
AG
And knowing is half the battle.

I was just about to call it quits for the morning and did a short rattle sequence to see if anything happened. 3.5 year old 9 point comes in checking the place out, he could care less about corn, just looking for a fight.
AgBass01
AG
Haha, a yearling basket 6 just walked in looking for a fight and the 9 point took off the other direction at a full sprint like he'd just seen a ghost.
Allen76
AG
clintaggie04 said:

Gotcha. You are correct in relation to sunrise. I got to the stand way before sunrise yesterday and right at sunrise today. I never really think like that and I guess I should. I just set my alarm for 1 hour before my feeders go off.
Clintaggie..... this thread a month ago about Deer Feeer/Daylight Saving Time was pretty funny:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2789289/1

Edited to change time from 2 weeks ago to one month.... time does fly.
AV8ORAG84
AG
I always set mine for deer season time change, so clock is set one hour early, and feed times 0730, 1630.
They just go for at 0830,1730 until we change our clocks. The feeding actually happens at exact same point in the day, ( deer dont have watches).
Keeps me from screwing it up or forgetting-lol
Chickenhawk
Still nothing. I think I'm gonna rest that spot for awhile. We still have a week before the rut is supposed to really ramp up.
Lungblood
Saw a new really nice 2.5 yo 8 chasing a doe with moderate enthusiasm this morning. Had him cruise by me at 7 yards.
Lungblood
Been pouring for last half hour.
nealan
4th sit in the same spot and zero deer spotted! Granted the cows coming and going isn't helping, but at this point I'd be excited to see a raccoon, fox, hog, and dang thing really !!

Solar/lunar tables claim major activity period between approx 5:00 and 6:00 tonight, so we'll see
gigemJTH12
AG
Man I'm sick and tired of sweating my ass off in a tree stand.
Sean98
AG
I wanted to hunt Deuces field tonight in hopes he is still alive but the forecast let me down and the wind was wrong so I had to bail and make a last second change. Climbed back into the same stand I hunted this morning because it has easy in/easy out. It's a timber funnel (but too wide to be a real funnel) between bedding and food. The deer generally (foreshadowing) move from East from bedding to the west to feed in ag fields at night.

But not tonight. At 5:00 I had a doe come from the W and go and stand dead downwind of me. It made me nervous but she didn't seem to mind. about a minute later i hear a deer coming from the correct direction and it's a deer we call Aussie. A definite hitlist deer. But he swung around North and downwind too as he headed to the doe. Then I hear grunting from in the thicket where the doe was and a little 8 point pops out. Aussie immediately postured up and slowly walked in taking charge of the situation. He never really got aggressive, just postured up and that was enough to convince the little 8 to move along. ...but he didn't move far enough so Aussie helped slowly walk him to the door and show him the way out.

Long story short, they played ring-a-round the cedar 35 yards away from me for 10 minutes but he never gave me a clear shot. It was exhilarating and agonizing. Then he slowly walked the doe back into the thicket to the east. Grunts and a snort wheeze drew a look, but no real reaction.

Today was no case of young deer chasing. Today was big deer, on their feet, with a mission. The rut has begun in Kansas.
agenjake
I opted for the surf instead of the stand this weekend, but I did see this little guy. Not sure where Mama was, but he was fine.

The surf on PINS was rough, but I ended up catching my biggest redfish ever along the way. Right at 36".

OnlyForNow
AG
You're like ****ing mark twain of the keyboard sir.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I've been meaning to ask, how big of area are you hunting up there, and who has designed the layout for bow hunting?
I ask because it's clear a ton of time was invested in to the habitat.
Sean98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

I've been meaning to ask, how big of area are you hunting up there, and who has designed the layout for bow hunting?
I ask because it's clear a ton of time was invested in to the habitat.
I have permission on a couple of pieces of private property but mostly what I hunt is the local wildlife area. It's 8000 acres surrounding our local reservoir. It's not limited to bowhunting aside from 2 small areas, but it's managed by KDWPT. It's also contract farmed by several local farmers so there is a fair amount of corn/beans/milo grown on the property as well. Whats really nice about it, habitat wise, is a lot of it is flood plain so it can make for some really great, thick, nasty bedding areas that are hard to hunt and hard to access. That leads to some pretty quality areas for deer.
Sean98
AG
I'm back in the same stand for the 3rd straight sit. I really don't like to do that but with a good wind and a clean entrance/exit route I'm giving it a try. Rained softly all the time I say in the dark, and then slacked off right at daybreak. 2 little guys cruising so far and not much else. Won't be able to stay long but one side benefit to the time change is that I can sneak in a short hunt and still be at work at a reasonable time. NOW C'MON BIG DEER!
AgBass01
AG
Good luck! I'm back in the office.
Sean98
AG
Headed that way myself.
txaggie02
AG
This thread needs more pictures and less words. This beast was killed this morning on our lease. Ridiculous beams.

Furlock Bones
Brush Country
Wow. 180"?

Brush Country
Also is Sean gonna kill anything this year except time?
Sean98
AG
Brush Country said:

Also is Sean gonna kill anything this year except time?
Pheasants. Many, MANY pheasants.

...and possibly an ugly old 8 point in the late season. At least that's my guess.
Brush Country
To be fair, the only thing I've killed is beer. And a bunch of dove.
Chazz03
AG
what part of the state is that?
powerbelly
AG
IIRC he is in South Texas
Corps_Ag12
AG
Sean98 said:

Pheasants. Many, MANY pheasants

I'll be in Kansas Friday afternoon
Sean98
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Sean98 said:

Pheasants. Many, MANY pheasants

I'll be in Kansas Friday afternoon
I recommend you don't start shooting until Saturday morning!! ;-)

What part of the state you guys hunting? Can't wait to hear some reports. I think it has the potential to be a pretty good year if we ever get any moisture/cold weather. Unlikely I'll put dogs on the ground until Thanksgiving.
LRHF
AG
66F with decent breeze near Victoria, Tx. Good 10 pt with a couple of non shooter 8's. Hoping to see a specific 8 pt but would settle for the large hog that runs off deer in evening or a doe. Hopefully going to clean a critter then go home and watch Longmire and drink bourbon while the entitlement voters do what they do best. New deer moving, outta here...
LRHF
AG
Caught my hog tonight, he has been eluding me for a while, pour one out for him! The deer on my kill list have been elusive so far and flinging arrows at does appears to be impossible YTD. Perhaps things will change post rut? In better news, looks like we will have some more time to order magazines, AR's and ammo...
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.