Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,909 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Nobody Knows My Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OverSeas AG said:

When I was a kid my dad and grandfather, used to hunt a lot. Unfortunately some things happened and by the time I was really old enough to hunt, they could no longer do it. I took it up again about 7 years ago as I rotated back to being in the US more. Was a great shooter, but knew little about hunting. Have really enjoyed learning and frankly just being outside.

I started bow hunting last year. Really enjoyed that too.

My situation is VERY similiar. I'm 32 now and one of my best friends growing up got on a lease this year and made me come up as his guest this weekend.

As far as leases are concerned, I know finding one usually is by word-of-mouth, but are there any good sites out there I could use to start searching around? I have 2-4 other friends that are interested in getting together on one.
MPD280
I'm blessed to have 80 acres of family land to hunt, but if I had to find a lease I probably could. They can be really hit or miss though. Doesn't seem to be much selectivity or management up here in the NE part of the state aside from the antler restrictions which have helped. Don't overlook public land if you have some close by.

I've seen the same 3 deer 3 different times this morning, but only really had a shot the last time. Jacked around trying to decide which of the does was bigger and they walked off before I picked one. The 3rd could be carried out in a 5 gallon bucket. Thick oak bottoms have their limitations.
gillom
AG
Just shot my fourth pig of the year. 3 with a bow, 1 rifle. They have completely ruined my favorite bow stand. Our part of Runnels used to have very few and we are slowly being overtaken. My BIL hunts on the Concho about 30 miles west and they have zero pigs. Only a matter of time I suppose.
ghollow
AG
I just shot my first pig of the year. Big sow. There were 15 in the group. Killed a big spike opening weekend. We have seen a bunch of young bucks but nothing we would consider shooting. We have a family place in Callahan county
Chickenhawk
Slept thru my alarm like an idiot. Rushed out the door, skipper the shower. Got in the blind about 20 mins before sunrise.

So I'm shuffling to get set up, and I hear rustling leaves. Those damn squirrels are back...nope. I look up, 15 yards is a nice size 7 point. He looks in the direction of the blind, turns around, walks off.

Hour later, I'm hoping he is just looping around. Instead, 3 does. Ok, I'll just thwack one of them. Well, I couldn't even think about drawing my bow without at least one of those skittish *****es looking towards me. Finally get one quartering away, and as soon as I draw and put a bead on her, she starts walking. Fml.
Watchful Ag
AG
This isn't the first time you've slept through your alarm is it?
Chickenhawk
Nope. During the week, I'm great. I'm up before my alarm. The weekend comes, and im toast. I heard my alarm, told myself I'll lay here for just 5 more mins...then an hour later, steph rolls over and asks if I'm still gonna hunt today.
Chickenhawk
Think I'm gonna eat lunch, and head back out there. I don't have any intel on the cams to suggest an afternoon hunt would be productive...but I got a feeling.
agsalaska
AG
COtto1984 said:

AgBass01 said:

Welcome to the addiction.

Thanks! I LOVE the outdoors, but never had a real opportunity to hunt growing up. I'm learning late, but loving every minute of it. This weekend has been beyond awesome.

I was in my latest 20s when I first started hunting for deer. Im 39 now and usually start thinking about deer season by March.

Funny thing is I am almost never ready for it when it gets here. I bought two rifles in the last 10 months for this season and barely got a scope on one. Neither sighted in and one i never even bought cartridges for. Ended up using the same old rifle and same old core lokt ammo. Probably do the same next year.
Sean98
AG
This is why I don't sell you my Winchester... you would probably forget you even have it.
sjislepilot
AG
Watchful Ag said:

This isn't the first time you've slept through your alarm is it?

I was thinking I'd seen this somewhere before as well
texag_89
Chazz03 said:

texag_89 said:

34 degrees and very slight N wind here in the red sand cedars of Coke Co TX... perfect weather.

Should be seeing some chasing today and perhaps some "roamers" not yet seen on cam.

Happy pre-rut and hunting to alll!!

Oh ya, BtHO utsa!! (come on Sumlin, get this friggin tean playing some ball again!!)

_89

Waiting for a report from buddies on our place in Coke co. Must be nice to have cell service out there
Chaz,

Is that the same place where the buck was killed you posted on the 13th on the "Kill" thread?

That was a nice buck.... What part of Coke co and what size place?? Thought i saw some cultivated field in that pic.

_89
Sean98
AG
I'm back in the stand for my last "scheduled" sit of 2016. I'm sure I'll sneak in one or two hunts somewhere along the way but it looks like elk season started the nard kicking trend and whitetails have followed happily along the same path.

Sitting between a CRP field and a new winter wheat field in an overgrown fence row tonight. Tight shooting lanes in here but maybe it'll all come together.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Back in the blind. Hope to take a doe tonight. Had a chance last night but a 10pt walked over so I put the rifle down. Then pigs showed up and pushed all the deer away. One piggy didn't leave with his buddies.

giddings_ag_06
AG
Cheer we go!!!!

shaynew1
AG
Finally out for the first time this year. Mostly just watching w my spotter. Have 700 acres of oats that aren't up enough to turn anything out on so its big and quiet and I'm hoping to see what's hanging around. I did bring some gunpowder with me incase I see something hilariously big that I can't convince myself to wait and stick.
Chickenhawk
I called it for today. Got chicken and dumplings going on the stove. I missed my chance this morning. If I was in there early, I could have stuck that buck and then probably a doe to boot.

Oh well. Try next weekend.
Sean98
AG
Booo! Booo that man!

Take it to the daily rifle thread!
Sean98
AG
All Steph's fault.
shaynew1
AG
It feels dirty even having it w me. I dont know if I could go through w it if muy grande walked out.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Peanut 4 point with one side broken off just cruised by. Acorns are falling left and right. Deer and hog tracks are everywhere, but I'm not sure when they are moving.
shaynew1
AG
Looking at an enormous fat boar that I'd love to whack for the novelty of it but I don't think I could get on him without blowing these doe out that I'm here to watch. He is a big sumbich tho.
giddings_ag_06
AG
shaynew1 said:

Looking at an enormous fat boar that I'd love to whack for the novelty of it but I don't think I could get on him without blowing these doe out that I'm here to watch. He is a big sumbich tho.

Never talk about hogs on here without pictures. No one ever believes my picture-less stories of pigs on here. Damn doubters....
Lungblood
McGibblets has the best view... Very nice
Lonestar06
Nothing moving in north Brazos county but my evening deer are always late.
shaynew1
AG
I don't give a s about the haters
giddings_ag_06
AG
shaynew1 said:

I don't give a s about the haters

They remember EVERYTHING....
shaynew1
AG
Closing in on fatboy and a small buck emerges w his nose to th ground chasin the girls. Maybe I hang out and wait for big daddy instead
Mr. McGibblets
AG
A doe decided to take a dirt nap by my feeder.....weird.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

A doe decided to take a dirt nap by my feeder.....weird.

I like that Cotton Hill deer feeder
shaynew1
AG
No blood here. Saw 19 doe/yearlings, a spike, a dummy buck, and probably 40 hogs. Going to throw a stand and a blind up in a couple spots this week to give me some options w the wind. I know I'm like 3 months late.
Chickenhawk
Sean98 said:

All Steph's fault.

I told her you said that.
Credible Source
AG
40 freaking hogs? Just load that damn feeder with Tannerite and deal with that problem.
highvelocity
AG
Carl Hungus said:

40 freaking hogs? Just load that damn feeder with Tannerite and deal with that problem.
or call me
Sean98
AG
I ended up seeing some heavy chasing tonight, 2 different shooters, and watched a big 9 breed a doe in the middle of a wheat field. Those two ended up pinning me into the stand and I had to sit for another hour before they moved off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.