Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,942 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
AgBass01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice, congrats!
clintaggie04
AG
Any of y'all ever try any of the attractant powder stuff they sell at academy? Crush is the brand name.

I put out some apple scent this afternoon. I will let y'all know if anything seems interested in it.
sjislepilot
AG
Nice shot! Good looking cookie cutter!
Sean98
AG
clintaggie04 said:

Any of y'all ever try any of the attractant powder stuff they sell at academy? Crush is the brand name.

I put out some apple scent this afternoon. I will let y'all know if anything seems interested in it.

Opossums love it.
Sean98
AG
MidOctober in Kansas and there are 5 BILLION mosquitos. This is bulls**t.
Chickenhawk
No hunting today. Been spending the afternoon starting to butcher (I guess this is correct terminology??) some of the meat from yesterday, then been working on a winter food plot.

****, shooting the deer was the easy part!
Sean98
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

That's not what you were saying earlier in the week!
AgBass01
AG
Damn, had a loan doe comes in with 5 minutes left and all she wanted to do was run off the other deer. Mean old ***** needs to die.
clintaggie04
AG
Had 7 doe at my feeder from 630 until I finally ran them off at 745. I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. One more try in the morning and then I'm not hunting again for a few weeks.
Chickenhawk
Sean98 said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

That's not what you were saying earlier in the week!

That's what I was going for.

But seriously, this season has a few firsts for me...among them is processing my own. It is a ton of work, especially with my learning curve, but it is a labor of love.
sjislepilot
AG
sjislepilot said:

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

[URL=.html][/URL]
Chickenhawk
clintaggie04 said:

I used the apple crush (name?) mineral block, bucks didn't touch it for 2 weeks...forgot to water it in to help start it. Once I put water on it, they destroyed it. That was before the season started though. Since then they haven't touched what's left.
Chickenhawk
sjislepilot said:

sjislepilot said:

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

[URL=.html][/URL]

Nicely done!
sjislepilot
AG
Slow morning so far. Just staring into the wind here.
clintaggie04
AG
sjislepilot said:

Slow morning so far. Just staring into the wind here.

Same here. I'm watching two crows eat my corn.
LRHF
AG
Going to be a good day to be in stands from 10-2. Will give it until 10:30 then off to bait up 2 sites for a young rifle hunt. Heading home early to see Deepwater Horizon. Between work trips, deer season and upcoming fishing trip, haven't seen wife much lately. Thank goodness had a great cup of coffee this morning otherwise would be in a funk...
Sean98
AG
Bucks use mineral licks pretty good April-August but once they shed they really don't use them again until they start growing antlers again next spring.
Sean98
AG
73 degrees and windy in Kansas. I opted for sausage pancakes and Folgers coffee over fighting mosquitos in a tree this morning. Even if I had killed one by the time I drug it out of the woods it would have been 90 damn degrees.
Ag210
AG
Same here, next weekend looks good though
Chickenhawk
Sean98 said:

Bucks use mineral licks pretty good April-August but once they shed they really don't use them again until they start growing antlers again next spring.

Well, this explains it perfectly.

See, this is why I love this board. If I started getting ready for bow season on my own, I'd still be lost in the sauce. Because of all the info you guys have provided me, it was like cramming 10+ seasons worth of knowledge in to my first season.

Seriously, I owe all of you a big thank you.
Watchful Ag
AG
My very first bow weekend is officially in the books!

Took Friday off and drove the family to our place in Mason. 90 acres, low fence. Set up a new pop up as soon as we got to camp and wished for the best.

Four hours later a few turkey came out and one got a little too close.
%5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D

Slept in Saturday morning and had breakfast with the family in town. Amazing quiche and cinnamon rolls.

That afternoon I got to the blind early and started reading "Producing Quality Whitetails". Great read if you're looking for a new book ... Anyways, had a small eight point walk out that was on our cull list. Adrenaline was pumping and I rushed the shot ... 20 yard miss. Straight over his back.

This morning I was in the stand by 6:15am and ready to go. Weather was absolutely beautiful, and the wind was perfect. Had a couple of doe come out and I was able to get my first deer with a bow down by 7:45am.
%5BIMG%5D%5B/IMG%5D

Amazing weekend I'll never forget. Thanks to everyone who helped me navigate the bow hunting waters. I'll definitely be back.
Chickenhawk
That is awesome! Congrats!
BurrOak
AG
Sean98 said:

73 degrees and windy in Kansas. I opted for sausage pancakes and Folgers coffee over fighting mosquitos in a tree this morning. Even if I had killed one by the time I drug it out of the woods it would have been 90 damn degrees.

Did you use a French press for that Folgers?
Sean98
AG
I think you already know better. MrCoffee WallyWorld special for the win. To really set the stage on the coffee wars, I use my grounds for 2 days. Day 1, 4 spoonfuls makes 8 cups. Day 2,add 2 spoonfuls to yesterdays filter/grounds and once again, 8 delicious cups.

For now I was tired of sitting on the couch so I opted to go sit a deep woods water hole. It's just a little spreader dam that pools up after a good rain. It's a soggy, messy, mosquito infested 18" of water but the deer love it. If I don't die of blood loss in the next hour I should at least see a deer.
Log
AG
You'll survive the season, but you'll die shortly afterwards due to Zika.
Sean98
AG
and West Nile and bird flu. ...and no deer sightings. Pulled the camera card on the way out. There's been at least 7 does in there every night until last night. No deer last night, and no deer tonight. 7 deer each of the 12 nights before though...
Chickenhawk
Anyone going out? I may go for the evening hunt...see if this cold front that just came through gets them moving.
AgBass01
AG
I'm not gonna make it this weekend. Decided to stay home so I can watch the game tomorrow and we have dinner plans tomorrow night.
Chickenhawk
Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

trip
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I see 7.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Let's do this!

sjislepilot
AG
Brother and I are having competition this weekend. Who can shoot the biggest doe. Anyone wanna join? Loving this weather.
sjislepilot
AG
Also. Bucks are coming into rut nicely.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Hunting a friend's place in Knickerbocker. Haven't seen a damn thing yet. At least it's a pretty day.

highvelocity
AG
Sitting on a buddy's place in Greenville. Hoping to take care of his 200+ Pound Russian boar problem this evening

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.