Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,890 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No feeder. They're just grazing now so aren't much of a nuisance. Going to trap a bunch of them soon to finance a trip to Nola for a bachelor party cause the elks made me too poor to do afford anything.
Lungblood
Elk hunting is not an expense. It's an investment.
shaynew1
AG
That's the only thing I've ever successfully convinced my wife of my whole life. She's cooking some elk carne guisada right now.
Chazz03
AG
texag_89 said:

Chazz03 said:

texag_89 said:

34 degrees and very slight N wind here in the red sand cedars of Coke Co TX... perfect weather.

Should be seeing some chasing today and perhaps some "roamers" not yet seen on cam.

Happy pre-rut and hunting to alll!!

Oh ya, BtHO utsa!! (come on Sumlin, get this friggin tean playing some ball again!!)

_89

Waiting for a report from buddies on our place in Coke co. Must be nice to have cell service out there
Chaz,

Is that the same place where the buck was killed you posted on the 13th on the "Kill" thread?

That was a nice buck.... What part of Coke co and what size place?? Thought i saw some cultivated field in that pic.

_89

Place is on 2034 near walnut Rd. There are some nice bucks there this year. 5 does taken off this weekend. Where is your place?
Lonestar06
Well had no deer on that stand so I got out and snuck up on the other stand. Deer were everywhere. One doe looked at me a little to long so I put her in her place.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Unwanted visitors

giddings_ag_06
AG
Tons of deer on the roads coming out here. Hoping something shows up shortly. It's a nice 42 degrees.
gigemJTH12
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Back in the blind. Hope to take a doe tonight. Had a chance last night but a 10pt walked over so I put the rifle down. Then pigs showed up and pushed all the deer away. One piggy didn't leave with his buddies.

are there 3 feeders in this pic? 1 protein and 2 corn?
texag_89
Chazz03 said:

texag_89 said:

Chazz03 said:

texag_89 said:

34 degrees and very slight N wind here in the red sand cedars of Coke Co TX... perfect weather.

Should be seeing some chasing today and perhaps some "roamers" not yet seen on cam.

Happy pre-rut and hunting to alll!!

Oh ya, BtHO utsa!! (come on Sumlin, get this friggin tean playing some ball again!!)

_89

Waiting for a report from buddies on our place in Coke co. Must be nice to have cell service out there
Chaz,

Is that the same place where the buck was killed you posted on the 13th on the "Kill" thread?

That was a nice buck.... What part of Coke co and what size place?? Thought i saw some cultivated field in that pic.

_89

Place is on 2034 near walnut Rd. There are some nice bucks there this year. 5 does taken off this weekend. Where is your place?

Opposite side of county - 277 @ 2662..... It is a good year just like last year.

giddings_ag_06
AG
Yahtzee!!! Got my first buck off my own property!!! I bought this place several years back (currently have it listed) and haven't connected on a buck until now. I've seen a ton on camera over the years, but hadn't seen the right buck while hunting until now. Came across him as I was about to head home. He was with a bigger buck I couldn't get a shot at. Free handed at about 125 yards right before he was going to jump the fence. Measuring him later. He won't score well, but he was big bodied and my first one so I'm happy with him.

texag_89
giddings_ag_06 said:

Yahtzee!!! Got my first buck off my own property!!! I bought this place several years back (currently have it listed) and haven't connected on a buck until now. I've seen a ton on camera over the years, but hadn't seen the right buck while hunting until now. Came across him as I was about to head home. He was with a bigger buck I couldn't get a shot at. Free handed at about 125 yards right before he was going to jump the fence. Measuring him later. He won't score well, but he was big bodied and my first one so I'm happy with him.

The old "right before he jumped the fence" story .

Congrats - he is an old, bruty-looking sucker.
gigemJTH12
AG
can you send me the listing to the property?
giddings_ag_06
AG
Thank God I hunt fencelines!!!

Any guesses on age??
AgBass01
AG
Congrats!
giddings_ag_06
AG
And he'll go......

17 3/4!!! 2nd widest buck ever for me. I thought he'd be closer to 16". Hopefully I underestimate the size of everything....

AgEng06
AG
Nice work!

And I say he'll go ~110", maybe a little less.
giddings_ag_06
AG
AgEng06 said:

Nice work!

And I say he'll go ~110", maybe a little less.

That's probably a good guess. I may measure him later on.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really hard to tell without the jaw out of the mouth but his teeth have some pretty pronounced ridge lines that you don't typically see in an older (6.5+) buck.

I would say somewhere between 4.5-5.5.
A.G.S.
AG
Was gonna start a thread, but then this one popped back up so I figured I'd just tack on to it.

Went north of Fredericksburg this past weekend, wanted to try out some new ammo I got last season, but hadn't had a chance to take anything with. It's Winchester Deer Season XP, in .243. Saw lots of good bucks throughout the weekend, but I was a guest and wanted to follow/help out their management plan as much as possible. They were really trying to get rid of all the bucks without brow tines, and there were sightings of a big 12 that didn't have any, but none of us ever got a chance to connect with him, and the only bucks we saw without brow tines were too busy chasing tail and wouldn't stand still long enough to shoot. They also had a strict rule that any pigs or goats were to be shot on sight (the ridgelines were covered in aoudad, mouflon, and ibex goats, but none came closer than 400 yds and I wasn't confident at those distances).

Saw these guys the first night.

Then the next morning a herd of pigs came out about 100 yds away right at first light, but I couldn't get a clear view in my scope yet. Right as they were moving back towards the treeline, a little sow popped out at about 30 yds so I dropped her. There were some deer at another feeder, and they spooked at the shot, but didn't waste much time getting back to eating so I waited to see what else would show up. That's when this guy stepped out.

He looked like he was only 3 1/2, but I was more interested in meat than anything, so I settled for a couple good pictures, and a hope to be invited back out next year to see what he turns into.

About an hour later a big white boar stepped out at another feeder and right as set the crosshairs on him a little 4-point jumped in front of him and wouldn't let me get a shot off. They went back and forth for about 5 min, with the buck staying between us. When he finally stepped a few yards away, I dropped him where he stood. Figuring that was a good enough tally for the hunt, I gave him a few minutes, and went down to check him and the little sow out. I looped around him so the sun would be at my back, and as soon as I got on his back side I heard a noise behind me, turned around and saw another big boar step out 20 yds behind me. He saw me turn, and just sat there flicking his tail and gnashing his tusks. Before he could decide what to do I channeled my inner Franz-Albrecht and dropped him too. Didn't get a pic of the sow, but the 2 boars are below.

I took the loins and the shoulders off the big boars, and everything off the sow. And that's when it got interesting. I had hit her through the back of her shoulder at 30 yds, and there was only a tiny pinhole exit wound. When I got everything cut off, I found the bullet jacket lodged in her far shoulder. Heart and lungs were both shredded, and the jacket had stayed together perfectly with a very symmetrical "flowering", and very little damage to the meat.

That afternoon I got to watch a lot more great bucks that look they have amazing potential, and couple real nice aoudad rams playing up on the ridges.

The last morning I saw a lot of young bucks, including a nice young 10 point, playing around and chasing some does at first light. They all ran off when the feeders kicked on, but a couple young bucks came back within a few minutes. All of a sudden they both got spooked, and another 10 point walked out, he looked like he was 4 1/2, but didn't have near the antlers that some of the younger deer did so I decided to take him. He was about 80 yds away when I pulled the trigger, saw him nose dive, but then he took off down into a gully and back out the other side. As he ran, I guess he spooked another big boar, and I was confident in my shot placement on the buck, so I went ahead and dropped him as well.

After about 45 min, I went do to find the buck, and I couldn't find any blood at all. Zero, zilch, nada. After about an hour of searching (lots of internal cussing, lots of praying) I found him about 30 yds from where he was when he was hit, laid up in some tall grass hidden behind a cactus thicket. Same story as the sow, only a pinhole exit wound, but when I field dressed him both the lungs were toast, and the jacket was lodged in his far shoulder. Not a trophy by any means, but he's the 2nd biggest buck I've taken and a beautiful animal overall.

TL;DR fun weekend in new terrain with new ammo. 5 shots, 5 kills. Winchester Deer Season XP does exactly what it's supposed to, but beware if you have to trail the animal, as none my animals had a substantial exit wound and the only one that ran left no discernable trail.
Lonestar06
Looks like you had one hell of a good week. How tall is the stand in the first picture?
A.G.S.
AG
Lonestar06 said:

Looks like you had one hell of a good week. How tall is the stand in the first picture?
That's an understatment. This was the best weekend I've had outside in a long time. The place was nestled between two ridgelines, about a mile apart, and each one about 2 miles long. All the paths up the southern ridge were whiped out by the rains this spring, so we were limited to the northern side, but it was still amazing.

Those first pics were taken from a stand about 25 feet up. The group of 3 pigs was taken from a ground blind, and the buck/boar combo was taken from one about 15 ft up. The second evening I hunted another blind about 30 ft up. Here is the view from it looking down the valley. The ridge on the left is the southern one. I wish I would taken more pictures, especially from this stand.

Colt98
AG
My son and I decided late last night we were tired of seeing the same ole 3.5-4.5 yr old bucks in Lee co so we drove up to mason Co today. Haven't hunting my wife's family place in 10+ years. We just pulled the ranger under an oak grove 100 yards from a 5 ac oat patch. Wind is in our face, beautiful afternoon. Planning on hunting until Wednesday morning. Hopefully we can find a nice old brut. If not I'm sure we will smoke a few pigs.
phdag
Back for more. Its hot as hell. Windy. Seen nothing but a yearling spike all season so far.

We are gluttons sometimes
Colt98
AG
https://imgur.com/a/TbUq2

Someone help an old dude out and tell me how to get the proper code for this new Imgur app.
La Fours
AG
Colt98
AG
Thanks bud
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Correct
Lonestar06
Yeah you look like you are you were way the hell up there. My son and I are going to build a new stand and want it in the 15-18 foot range. We are looking for the plans for the tower part of the blind. Congrats on your week.
La Fours
AG
Yessir.
phdag
Damndest year I have ever been apart of. No does, no spikes, no little guys.. nothing.
htxag09
AG
Where are you at?
Lungblood
phdag said:

Damndest year I have ever been apart of. No does, no spikes, no little guys.. nothing.

There's no good reason why a man would post such hunting troubles as you have, unless they were true. I respect your endeavor to persevere..
Sean98
AG
I'm not sure if I have it better or worse...
shaynew1
AG
Worse.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
phdag said:

Hang in there... this has been the strangest year by far for us in 16+ years. Days with one or two deer and then the next with 8-10. I think the recent frost is going to help.

They have had way to many groceries on the ground to be concerned with showing up when the feeder goes off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.