Xbox Series X

44,318 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those kids are going to be so disappointed.
permabull
AG
I was able to sell my one s and 4 mostly junk titles for $140 net after shipping and fees. I kept the controller so for only $160 going to the series S I am getting an SSD upgrade ($50 value), another controller ($50 value) and hopefully sustained 60fps at 1080p if they update my digital titles to use the new graphics of the Series S. I'm obviously a pretty casual gamer but the Series S at $299 was even able to hook me.

Enough of my games are cross platform with the PC I can play those until I actually get the Series S (that is why I kept the controller on the sale).
easttexasaggie04
AG
I wonder if we'll see the Bethesda titles on GamPass soon?
YNWA_AG
AG
Sometime between January to June 2021
jr15aggie
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I have a love hate with those games... I really enjoyed the last Elder Scrolls on 360. My problem was I couldn't help but "take a quick" look inside every friggin cave I discovered. Realized I was getting nowhere in the game, would never finish it, and traded the game in for my own sanity.
MGS
jr15aggie said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I have a love hate with those games... I really enjoyed the last Elder Scrolls on 360. My problem was I couldn't help but "take a quick" look inside every friggin cave I discovered. Realized I was getting nowhere in the game, would never finish it, and traded the game in for my own sanity.
Another great thing about the Xbox One Series X, with their support for backward compatibility, you can still play Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I just want Doom games on GamePass.
Pman17
AG
I think we'll see Doom Eternal on GamePass next year with the Next-Gen update.
Chase McGuire
Looks like media are getting official units so they can write previews and dive into UI, features etc. Expect blowouts on all that in the upcoming weeks.
TexAgBolter
AG
Game pass teased Doom Eternal coming soon to game pass on Twitter this morning.
MGS
Doom (2016 version) was on gamepass earlier this year.
WES2006AG
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Looks like media are getting official units so they can write previews and dive into UI, features etc. Expect blowouts on all that in the upcoming weeks.
Glad reviews are on the horizon but I bet we don't see any until much closer to launch date.
Chase McGuire
Full console and game reviews, sure. But we'll get preview coverage of the operating system, technical breakdowns from Digital Foundry, and other stuff like that over the next few weeks, I bet.
TexAgBolter
AG
1 tb expansion @ $220.
Pilmer
AG
TexAgBolter said:

1 tb expansion @ $220.

Nvm. I found it on microsoft.com shop
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, glad the review hardware is getting out. As we've said, one of the biggest appeals of the Xbox is full compatibility with the games we already have on XB1. Really curious to see how well some of these games perform. I'm still playing and re-playing lots of older games and this is a big reason for upgrading.

I don't expect upgraded graphics unless they specifically patch the game... but I have plenty of games that have frame stutter at certain points in the game, even on my One X. I'm hoping the Series X will make a noticeable difference on some of my old favorites.
WES2006AG
AG
TexAgBolter said:

1 tb expansion @ $220.
That is apparently an SSD that will play the enhanced games just like the internal SSD in the Series X. They are saying that games enhanced for the Series X will have to be played from the internal SSD or one of the approved expansion cards.

Still pretty expensive but the price should hopefully come down over time.
MGS
Hopefully we'll start seeing cheap third party disk cases like we had for the Xbox 360 where you'd just bring your own nvme drive for half the price.
YNWA_AG
AG
NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs are expensive right now
jr15aggie
AG
I've been rolling with an external HDD for a while now and it's been fine for playing games. I keep my internal drive loaded with a dozen of my favorite / currently playing games. My external drives holds a couple dozen other games.

I would think a similar strategy for the Series X will be fine starting off. Keep Series X and your favorite games on the internal drive... keep the others that are in your somewhat usual rotation externally. Play those games from the external drive or transfer to the internal (which is still faster than re-downloading the game).
permabull
AG
YNWA_AG said:

NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs are expensive right now

Good point... While it's not uncommon to see 1tb m.2 ssds for under $100, those are gen3 not gen4. Quick look on Amazon for gen4 shows they run $180-240 so the xbox price is not out of line. I believe motherboards that can take advante of the gen4 have only been out for the last year or two so it might take a few years for general pc users to start using them to bring the price down for the rest of us.

Also you can get an external usb ssd for older titles and just load the next gen stuff on the included ssd.
WES2006AG
AG
jr15aggie said:

I've been rolling with an external HDD for a while now and it's been fine for playing games. I keep my internal drive loaded with a dozen of my favorite / currently playing games. My external drives holds a couple dozen other games.

I would think a similar strategy for the Series X will be fine starting off. Keep Series X and your favorite games on the internal drive... keep the others that are in your somewhat usual rotation externally. Play those games from the external drive or transfer to the internal (which is still faster than re-downloading the game).
I think you are right. From what I understand any game not optimized for Series X will still be able to be played from a normal hard drive like it currently works on Xbox One.
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Never mind, next Thursday!
easttexasaggie04
AG
Best news I've heard all week!
YNWA_AG
AG
Football manager is coming to Xbox and not PS console
jr15aggie
AG
Pman17 said:

Pman17 said:

Never mind, next Thursday!

Ungrateful Fan: "Announce a Series X patch already!!! I'm not playing that crap with old gen downgrades... get your #@% together MS!!!"
tamusc
AG
WES2006AG said:

TexAgBolter said:

1 tb expansion @ $220.
That is apparently an SSD that will play the enhanced games just like the internal SSD in the Series X. They are saying that games enhanced for the Series X will have to be played from the internal SSD or one of the approved expansion cards.

Still pretty expensive but the price should hopefully come down over time.

$220 for 1TB is right in line with high end PCIe gen 4 NVMe drives. The new Samsung 980 Pro, which is likely very comparable performance-wise, is the same price.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll definitely wait and see how quickly my built in drive fills up with games that I really play consistently. By the time I really need/want the secondary drive it will hopefully be sub $150 range. We'll see I guess.
WES2006AG
AG
I guess we won't really know the size of these next gen games until we start downloading them. I am going to take a similar approach, I assume the 1TB of internal will be enough for now and hopefully the SSD will be a little cheaper by the time I inevitably need it.
Pman17
AG
Good news!
Xbox is adding remote streaming to the iPhone app. It's not xCloud but you can stream your Xbox from home like with the OneCast app.
dcaggie04
AG
Pretty good piece on a few of the newer features tested out on current gen games. Load times being vastly improved.

https://www.theverge.com/21458254/microsoft-xbox-series-x-load-times-performance-gameplay-preview
jeffk
AG
Here's another good one: https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/28/xbox-series-x-impressions/
Pman17
AG
I'm excited for the load times and Quick Resume. I like to flip around between games. Seems like Destiny 2 is the title to get into at launch with the expansion launching on the same day. I've been trying to get back into Destiny 2, but it's so confusing on where to go. Hopefully the vaulting of worlds will point me in the right direction.
tamusc
AG
Pman17 said:

I'm excited for the load times and Quick Resume. I like to flip around between games. Seems like Destiny 2 is the title to get into at launch with the expansion launching on the same day. I've been trying to get back into Destiny 2, but it's so confusing on where to go. Hopefully the vaulting of worlds will point me in the right direction.

Generally when a new expansion launches, there's a pretty obvious path to follow for at least the main story line. So, a fresh expansion launch is better time to get back into it.
jr15aggie
AG
FYI usable space on the internal drive is just over 800 GB. So around 200 GB reserved for OS n stuff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.