Xbox Series X

44,350 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hypeiv said:

I believe the console can scale the 1440p to 4k so you should be okay.

You will still get the 60hz if the game is rendered at 1440p 60 and then scaled up. Having it render at 4k just makes it that much sharper than being up scaled.
Pretty sure this is correct as many games on the last gen of consoles ran at dynamic render resolutions all the time and then were scaled to the appropriate output resolution. I would assume that would be the same with the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.
jr15aggie
AG
Don't worry about the native resolution of games on your tv... they will all output at 4K like all my One X games do. The only people counting native resolution pixels are places like digital foundry.

For that Yakuza game, it's a terribly optimized last gen game that is getting some boosts thanks to the Series X horsepower. It's really just another good example of how easily old gen games can run a lot better with very little effort from devs.
WES2006AG
AG
https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984
MGS
WES2006AG said:

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984
Strong hints that Elder Scrolls VI may be an exclusive.
jr15aggie
AG
IMO... of course Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc are now Xbox exclusives.

Sony gets games like Demon Souls remake at launch... MS is gonna spend big and then keep those games for the Xbox and PC players only. If you are a PS only player... sorry!
hph6203
AG
MGS said:

WES2006AG said:

Strong hints that Elder Scrolls VI may be an exclusive.
You really think he'd go out there and say yes, we need the other console platform in order to be successful with this acquisition? I don't think that quote is anything more than business speak that says they're confident about the quality of that acquisition regardless of how they deploy the assets.

I would be pretty shocked if those tent pole games are exclusive to X-Box. New IP? I'd be surprised if they aren't. Marketing new games to make them $70 buys is a tough deal on a multi-platform basis, but garnering interest through Game Pass is much easier. Fallout and Elder Scrolls would shock me if they're exclusive. There's too much easy money to be made from those established franchises.

They'd still be able to entice people with the value proposition. 5 non-exclusive games + an Xbox Series S as a secondary console is a wash.
permabull
AG
I have gone back and forth on what I think will happen with these games as far as being available on the PS5.

I think at a minimum they will be timed exclusives to PC/Xbox unless they are used as bargaining chips to get Sony to let go of some of their exclusives. By simply saying "money is money" and releasing everything to the PS5 at the same time as Xbox/PC, Microsoft would be essentially be making the PS5 the premier console with the most games. If you were gamer with lots of money, the clear choice would be PS5 b/c you get all the Zenimax games plus the PS5 exclusives. Microsoft would then have to sell you on the value of gamepass, which in turn would make the Xbox Series X look like the budget device and the PS5 the premium product.

From a business point of view, it seems more likely the acquisition of Zenimax was to bolster their product for this console generation, not as a hedge for more revenue if the PS5 ends up being a bigger hit than the Xbox.
Pman17
AG
From MajorNelson.com

Day One Xbox Series X|S Optimized Titles
jr15aggie
AG
Underwhelming but understandable given, well, it's 2020. Also not terribly different than the last gen launch... upgraded versions of Battlefield, Assasin's Creed, etc. were the main highlights of the XB1 and PS4 launch. But there were at least a few games like Ryse that, at the very least, were games that showed off some major graphical leaps.

I'm also curious why games like COD: Black Ops isn't on the list. I just pre-ordered that and they specifically have you pay $10 more to get the Series X upgrade at launch. My understanding is it will be a day 1 deal, but maybe it's delayed?
WES2006AG
AG
It may be because the new COD releases a few days after the Series X. Total guess though.
YNWA_AG
AG
Halo was supposed to be the launch game
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
No Titanfall 3. I'll be using my money for an RTX 3070.
jr15aggie
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Halo was supposed to be the launch game
Yes, but even then it was a cross gen game. I'm still getting a Series X, but it's pretty disappointing that they didn't have at least one game that was Series X only that showcased the new bells & whistles.

I used Ryse as an XB1 launch example cause some didn't think it was a very good game, but pretty much everybody thought it was one of the best looking games they'd ever seen. That's all they had to do... even if it was a glorified Series X tech demo button masher... just make it pretty!
jr15aggie
AG
I had not heard about auto HDR. That's really cool. I know it's not a huge selling point for everyone, but I'm really pumped how Xbox is making old titles better than ever. The video mentions geometry wars 2 and Batman specifically getting nice automatic HDR boosts without the devs doing anything... those 2 games are currently installed on my One X so this is all relevant stuff!

I'm just hoping the devs get onboard and at the very least start unlocking framerates in these older games. A game like Batman with auto HDR / 60 fps will look absolutely incredible even at 1080p. Here's hoping!

jr15aggie
AG
Also heard confirmation that Master Chief Collection getting full Series X/S upgrades. 120 FPS Halo incoming!

Gotta say, I'm surprised how often 120 is already being utilized. Just upgraded my main TV this year so I won't be taking advantage of that anytime soon. Those PC monitor guys are gonna be really happy though. No doubt Forza games will be getting framerate upgrades too.
jr15aggie
AG
Series X gameplay. Graphically speaking looks very nice. Not sure if they are using ray tracing or if that's a baked in lighting solution. Either way, very nice and next gen looking. Gamepass game so it will be worth a try.

jr15aggie
AG
Got my gaming cabinet reconfigured today. It's now ready for the 1' tall tower of power!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dilemma. I want to buy the Series X, Assassins Creed Valhalla, and Cyberpunk 2077.

In what order would you buy these?
jr15aggie
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Dilemma. I want to buy the Series X, Assassins Creed Valhalla, and Cyberpunk 2077.

In what order would you buy these?

Me personally, I'd get the Series X first and then AC. Their series X and PS5 updates will be live day one. Cyber Punk next gen patches will be a while. I'm still playing through other games so I don't mind waiting for the better Cyberpunk experience. In the meantime I'll also get immediate upgrades to the games I'm playing.
Bryan98
AG
I agree that Series X would come first, because it will improve everything you do, if only by lowering loading times. It hadn't occurred to me to wait on Cyberpunk until the next-gen patch drops, but that's an interesting point. Since it's single player, there's not necessarily a rush to play it. On the other hand, it'll probably look plenty good on day one.
Pman17
AG
Same boat, I may wait for Cyber Punk.
jr15aggie
AG
Semi cheesy Series X info.... best piece of information is the new Xbox app which is how you can access remote play. This is the thing I've been wanting to try. My personal Xbox used as a server to play my games anywhere. Very curious to see how this performs. So far X-Cloud has been good but a little too much lag for certain games, hoping to get better results here.

Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Same boat, I may wait for Cyber Punk.

Well that was fast, Cyber Punk delayed! They should just push it to Spring instead of December.
YNWA_AG
AG
The game has already gone gold. It's not going to be delayed again...
jr15aggie
AG
Have to vent cause I was just checking out the PS5 thread and they had new Demon Souls footage.

How in the hell did MS launch a new console and have absolutely nothing of value to offer at launch? Not a single next gen game. We get pretty versions of old games (Gears 5) and Grounded. What a crock!

OK I'm done... still pumped for the launch... but seriously!
WES2006AG
AG
I feel the same. It sucks that they dropped the ball on having Halo ready at launch because that would have made a huge difference in their launch day lineup. With that said, I would rather have games delayed than be released as broken or incomplete games.
Chase McGuire
This is why I haven't pre-ordered an X. Xbox is always my second console, mostly to play the exclusives I really love like Halo. But there's just no incentive to get one at launch. I can play everything worth playing and more (for the foreseeable future with Halo delayed indefinitely and no dates for Fable, Avowed, etc.) on the PS5.

The Bethesda deal is great for MS and will eventually fix the major exclusive problem they've had for years. But until then, they're still dropping the ball in a very important category for me. GamePass, backwards compatibility and things like that are great, but there's something to be said for having great games you can't play anywhere else.
TexasAggie_02
AG
there's always been issues with Halo games

Halo 1: they ran out of time, so they ditched entire levels and had you run backwards through areas you had already been to (assualt on the control room/two betrayals, and going after Keyes twice on covenant ships)

Halo 2: Less than a year from release, they scrapped the entire game engine and started over. they ran out of time, and cut 1/3 of the game out, giving us the cliffhanger. Launch of Xbox live, and an awesome multiplayer experience makes it one of the best games of all time

Halo 3: ? maybe they got it right. i don't recall any major issues. Came out 2 years after 360 launch, so it is possible that they missed an original deliverable date.

Halo 3 ODST: was supposed to be more or less an expansion, but ended up being a standalone game as it kept growing in scope.

Reach: pretty much perfect, bungie's last game

Halo 4: story was a hot mess, and they retconned the "Humans were Forerunners" line from Halo 3. Jackals looked ridiculous, and the warthog sounded like a weedeater. game was fun though.

Halo 5: tried to recreate the dual storyline of Halo 2, fell flat. warthog still sounds like a weedeater. still fun to play

Halo Infinite: Next-gen game that looks like trash. back to drawing board. Honestly surprised that MS agreed to delay.

jr15aggie
AG
WES2006AG said:

I feel the same. It sucks that they dropped the ball on having Halo ready at launch because that would have made a huge difference in their launch day lineup. With that said, I would rather have games delayed than be released as broken or incomplete games.

I almost would have given MS a pass because... you know, 2020... but Sony was ready to go with a couple heavy hitters so MS looks like a chump. MS has pumped resources into new developers... where the hell are they? According to their games showcase a couple months ago a few of them are too busy making artistic story driven games. Awesome job guys!

One thing is for sure, MS will lead the way in next gen 3rd party sales so they will look good using those metrics. I've already pre-ordered the Series X version of COD and I'm this close to pulling the trigger on Assassin's Creed. Cross gen games and I don't expect huge leaps, but at least they are optimized for Series X.
Pilmer
AG
I feel the same way with regards to Xbox. My multiplayer friend base is on Xbox, and so I veer towards Xbox. As I get older and don't have as much time or desire to invest in single player games (which most of the ps5 exclusives are), I prioritize having the Xbox live friend access. I will still get a ps5 most likely, but it won't be until they do a system overhaul that reduces size and makes it look less like a 15" over-stuffed wallet
jr15aggie
AG
Pilmer said:

My multiplayer friend base is on Xbox, and so I veer towards Xbox... I prioritize having the Xbox live friend access.

I felt the same way... and then EA started F***ing up Battlefield games and the old group is now scattered!!!!
jeffk
AG
We're not scattered as much as just old now.
jr15aggie
AG
jeffk said:

We're not scattered as much as just old now.
Don't remind me... starting to get arthritic joints, specifically my knuckles. My right thumb sometimes hurts while gaming. Ain't that some $***

WES2006AG
AG
I'm an "Xbox guy". All of my friends that I game with are on Xbox and at this point I have a somewhat substantial library of games that will continue to work on the Series X. I still think long term that Xbox and especially Xbox Game Pass are the way to go. With that said, I wish there was at least one launch title to get super excited about. Not having Halo or Forza ready for the launch of new console is just a bad way to go.
Agmaniacmike12
jr15aggie said:

Pilmer said:

My multiplayer friend base is on Xbox, and so I veer towards Xbox... I prioritize having the Xbox live friend access.

I felt the same way... and then EA started F***ing up Battlefield games and the old group is now scattered!!!!
This is such a shame. Hopefully we'll see the old crew back on BF6. Although, I suspect we won't have 8 people in a party on any given night like before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.