Xbox Series X

44,368 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
News broke out yesterday the Series S will play One S versions of One games.
Agmaniacmike12
The S is honestly a huge mistake this generation. I was excited about the X until they announced the S. Can't wait to have devs be forced to keep the quality lower on their games to ensure that S players can play it as well. Optimization is hard to do when you have different tiers of consoles on top of developing for multiple platforms.
YNWA_AG
AG
Not really when you design for the x and scale down resolution to 1440p .
jr15aggie
AG
Pman17 said:

I heard that it wouldn't play the Series X optimized version of the the "older" Xbox One games.

But I would assume that it would at least play the One X optimized version of the game. It is after all more powerful than the one X. Can you confirm?
easttexasaggie04
AG
We all might as well by the Series One X and roll with it.
jr15aggie
AG
Messed around with xCloud on my phone during my lunch break. Used my cell network instead of wifi for my first test. Thoughts:

1. Pretty cool, it works.
2. Best part is being able to quickly play games and try them out without having to fully install on your home console.
3. Controls are a beat too slow... played Halo and aiming was really rough because of this. Forza was also hard to control. Played Carrion (2D sidescroller) and I didn't notice any issues. Pretty much anything the demands precision wasn't happening in my test, but otherwise the games are playable.
4. Hard to fully enjoy on a phone, too small... pretty sure a tablet is a must if you want to really enjoy gaming this way on the go.

Overall I really like this as a way to try games on the fly. No need to install, etc. Don't think I'd ever play my AAA favorites this way... I'd still much rather be at home on the 4K getting the best experience. But in the same way, because I ignore some of these other games at home, I can enjoy them through xCloud when I'm traveling, lunch break at work, etc. Good first impression!
WES2006AG
AG
Very cool and thanks for the update. I am still hoping that Microsoft and Apple can come to an agreement that bring XCloud to IOS devices. Not holding my breath though.
permabull
AG
What I have read is the Series-S won't be to play the one-X optimized games at 4k. This is due the fact that the one-X has more memory available to the games than the series-S does. The series-S is likely fast enough to run the one-X optimized games at 4k, however since they were designed to use the extra memory, its too much to ask to go back and re-optimize them for the lower memory, but faster processor. They have shown that xbox-one games on the series-s do benefit from MUCH faster load times, and more consistent frame rates.
jr15aggie
AG
Can't say I get the point of the Series S then... like, at all. I just assumed at bare minimum it would take the place of the One X, which is why they stopped manufacturing it.

If it can't even play old games with the very nice One X upgrades then what the hell is the point and how badly is this thing going to hold back Series X games?

Starting to see why Halo looked like s#!+ a couple months ago.
YNWA_AG
AG
It is for the budget gamer that doesn't have a 4K tv or monitor. It will not hold back the series x, because the games will be designed for the series x and then the resolution will be scaled back to 1440p for the series s. Same way PCs have worked for years
permabull
AG
I think the point of the Series S is to give people who don't have 4k TVs a reason to jump on board with this console generation. People without 4k TVs don't really care about being able to play one games in 4k but they will enjoy the faster load times and better frame rates. Microsoft would rather lock those people in now rather than have them wait for the console wars to play out. This gives them a leg up on trying to win this generation.

I'm a casual gamer with a 55 inch 1080P TV that is fine in my gaming area. $500 for a series X is a tough sell especially if it will leave me wanting to spend another $400 to upgrade the TV. $300 for a series-s is a much easier pill to swallow, especially since I know in a few years when I get around to upgrading my TV my S will give me a small upgrade and/or they will have a discounted series-x-mini or a more powerful series-x-pro for me to buy.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I have a 2 year old TCL 4k TV, is that good enough to see a benefit on the higher end xbox? Or would I need a high dollar TV?
permabull
AG
If you own a 4k tv you should go with the series-x imho
jr15aggie
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I have a 2 year old TCL 4k TV, is that good enough to see a benefit on the higher end xbox? Or would I need a high dollar TV?

I believe I already answered a similar question in this thread.... any 4K / HDR TV will take advantage of 99% of what the Series X will do. The system can display games up to 120 fps (which your TV does not support) and a couple games are said to take advantage of this... but in general most games will focus on top end graphics and be shooting for 60 fps and 4K graphics (which your TV does support).

There are only a very small set of TVs that have 120 Hz refresh rates anyway... mostly top of the line OLED TVs that cost a few thousand. It's a lot more common with computer monitors. Very few TVs do it because there is hardly any content that utilizes it. It's not something that is going to be a major focus in these next game consoles. Will be a luxury item that might be pretty cool for a handful of games and a handful of people with a 120 Hz compatible TV.

I just bought a pretty high end Samsung earlier this year and it does not support 120 Hz either. You'll be fine.
easttexasaggie04
AG
How do we think the transition will be porting my current Xbox account and Gamepass with a new Ultimate account that includes the monthly payment for a new console? Do we think it'll be a pretty seamless process?
Pman17
AG
It better be seamless, they did it with the One X.
Pman17
AG
jr15aggie said:

Pman17 said:

I heard that it wouldn't play the Series X optimized version of the the "older" Xbox One games.

But I would assume that it would at least play the One X optimized version of the game. It is after all more powerful than the one X. Can you confirm?

The One X has more Teraflops in GPU than the Series S. 6 vs 4. And more RAM 12gb DDR5 vs 10gb DDR6. But the S has a better CPU which matches the Series X to handle next gen games. They definitely said Xbox One X Enhanced games will not run on the Series S. It's up to the developer if they want to make some enhancements of old games to the Series S. The games will run better just maybe not prettier.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/9/15/21438662/xbox-series-x-s-backward-compatibility-one-360

I see the Series S as a secondary or beginner console. Eventually it'll be an xCloud box. I travel with my Xbox and I see no way of packing a Series X. A Gaems Vanguard console case won't hold and X but will hold an S. There's a couple of reasons I can see why Microsoft made the Series S: portability, satisfies accessory makers like Gaems, cheaper to beat Sony, a secondary console for the kids room, and a GamePass/xCloud machine.
jr15aggie
AG
If they can get xCloud working flawlessly that would be a big plus for the Series S. But they need to make sure that will eventually include games you own... right now it's just games that are on Gamepass.

I've been tinkering a little bit with xCloud. FPS and precision games didn't work that great off my 4G. Using wifi yesterday I played Halo 2 Remaster for 15 min and it wasn't bad. Not perfect but very much playable and I wasn't constantly fighting lag riddle aiming. I need to get a 10" tablet cause it's rough on the eyes playing off a phone.

Definitely not a bad experience in its beta form. I still prefer my games on a TV screen or monitor though... if they can get games running smooth through the cloud via Series S/X it will be a very nice thing indeed. As I said before, not having to install games that I just want to quickly try out is a big plus.
easttexasaggie04
AG
With all the Playstation exclusives I'm thinking of just keeping my Xbox One X and getting a PS5. There isn't much incentive for me to upgrade to the newer Xbox right now, except maybe a slight change in resolution. Am I missing something?
jr15aggie
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

With all the Playstation exclusives I'm thinking of just keeping my Xbox One X and getting a PS5. There isn't much incentive for me to upgrade to the newer Xbox right now, except maybe a slight change in resolution. Am I missing something?

The only thing that I'll add is I'm not sure there will be many, if any, big exclusives for the PS5 near launch either. I don't keep up with this crap as much as I use to, so you should look into it.

Sony definitely showed more interesting "next gen" games and sequels at their event than MS did. But one thing that has always been true... Sony shows their games way early. Their trailers usually look fantastic and get people real excited, but it's usually a 2 year wait on those games.

Waiting in general is not a bad idea. Main reason I might upgrade is to give my kids the One X (launch XB1 they use is on its last legs). That and I'm a sucker for "the best". Not many games will really take advantage, but I'm sure Assasins Creed and Cyberpunk will look really nice when their Series X upgrade patches release.
spag.ag2003
AG
Bluepoint's Demon's Souls remake and the new Spiderman game are confirmed launch titles so if those interest you it might be worth pulling the trigger.

Also, if you didn't have a ps4 you'll be able to go back and experience last gen's exclusives - and it's a very strong slate. I "think" you can even play them for free via PS+.
Dawnguard
AG
Pre-orders open Sept 22 at 11 ET

https://www.engadget.com/how-to-pre-order-xbox-series-x-s-date-time-050701357.html
WES2006AG
AG
I guess I am going to preorder through Best Buy again. Had a good experience with them on my Day 1 Xbox One preorder.
permabull
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

How do we think the transition will be porting my current Xbox account and Gamepass with a new Ultimate account that includes the monthly payment for a new console? Do we think it'll be a pretty seamless process?

I did some research on how they are doing the monthly payment plan. Basically they just sell you the console and a digital code for 24 months of Gamepass ultimate and put it on a payment plan for you. You can enter that 24 month code whenever you want down the line or sell it for all they care.

It actually isn't that good of a deal if you have good enough credit for a regular credit card. They are basically just having you sign up for a maxed out credit card at either $600 for the S or $840 (+tax) for the X and you pay it off at 0% for the next 24 months. That is basically like getting a $60 sign up bonus for the S or a $20 sign up bonus for the X. You would be better off applying for something like the chase freedom flex which gives you a $200 sign up bonus and putting the console on that and pay it off faster than the deal they are offering.
WES2006AG
AG
This was the conclusion I came to as well. It isn't worth it to me to lock into 24 months of Gamepass if it only saves me $20. I may use Gamepass for some or all of that 24 month period but don't need the monthly commitment for that tiny savings.
permabull
AG
yep if you want to finance an series x you would be better off applying for the chase freedom, hitting the $500 minimum spend buying the xbox and applying the $200 credit to your balance. Its 0% for the first 15 months but they have a minimum payment of $35 I believe so as long as you don't use the card anymore you will own the xbox free and clear in 9 months at $35/mo. Then you can just buy ultimate codes that pop up on slickdeals all the time for 3x months for $25 if you need that.
tamusc
AG
hypeiv said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I did some research on how they are doing the monthly payment plan. Basically they just sell you the console and a digital code for 24 months of Gamepass ultimate and put it on a payment plan for you. You can enter that 24 month code whenever you want down the line or sell it for all they care.

It actually isn't that good of a deal if you have good enough credit for a regular credit card. They are basically just having you sign up for a maxed out credit card at either $600 for the S or $840 (+tax) for the X and you pay it off at 0% for the next 24 months. That is basically like getting a $60 sign up bonus for the S or a $20 sign up bonus for the X. You would be better off applying for something like the chase freedom flex which gives you a $200 sign up bonus and putting the console on that and pay it off faster than the deal they are offering.

By going through that entire process, as well as even having access to a decent rewards credit card with that much credit, you've shown you're not the target audience for that plan.

The target for that plan are people who can't afford a huge (for them) initial outlay of cash or credit card up front. Most ways to pay for the people in those situations would either include just not getting it (MS loses out) or they pay much higher interest rates (consumer loses). A lot of those people would otherwise end up putting the console on a credit card with a 20+% interest rate and paying minimum payments on it forever, which would put the total cost way higher than even purchasing outright with cash. Add in those people playing just a few of the triple A titles on GamePass during that 24 month period, they come out way ahead of where they would other wise.
BSD
AG
I am planning on buying my son a X Box Series X for Christmas. I think a new TV in the game room would be a nice gift for me. We have a Samsung sound system so I'd like to get a Samsung TV. My question is: what's a good one to get to match the Series X capabilities? We have room for a 50"...maybe a 55".
SoCerFrek
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-best-4k-tvs-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x/1100-6482374/

wessimo
AG
Tomorrow is the day. Where's everybody pre-ordering from?
MGS
I'm getting it from Microsoft because I've got $250 in Bing Rewards saved up for it.
evan_aggie
AG
I'm sorry, but I have to say again how idiotic the naming convention became...

So previously they did an Xbox One, and this forked into XBox One S and Xbox One X.

Now the new gen is Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

So "Series" is now the thing the denotes the new gen vs previous gen? No one at MS could think of something better? I mean, *****.. xBox Two S and XBox Two X would have been better.

What are they going to do with the next gen name? series 2 s, series 2 x?
WES2006AG
AG
Looking like I will be going with Best Buy and preorders will open at 10am central. I am hoping that they don't have an absolute cluster-**** like Sony and the retailers did with the PS5 preorders.
agdoc2001
AG
No. Going forward everything will be series x and series s. Think ipad and ipad pro.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasAggie_02
AG
evan_aggie said:

I'm sorry, but I have to say again how idiotic the naming convention became...

So previously they did an Xbox One, and this forked into XBox One S and Xbox One X.

Now the new gen is Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

So "Series" is now the thing the denotes the new gen vs previous gen? No one at MS could think of something better? I mean, *****.. xBox Two S and XBox Two X would have been better.

What are they going to do with the next gen name? series 2 s, series 2 x?
should have been:

Xbox One (current gen)
Xbox Infinity (Series s)
Xbox Infinity + One (Series X)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.