Xbox Series X

43,704 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Games Event July 23, 2020 11AM CT (Halo Reveal)

Xbox Series X Features
-Backwards Compatible: Plays All Xbox One Games except Kinect Games & All 360 and OG games that were ported to the One
-Smart Delivery: Xbox One games that feature this will be upgradable for free to the Series X version. Smart Delivery is a technology that enables the any Xbox to download the right and best version of the game your system can handle.
-Xbox Velocity Architecture: The tech behind the Series X
-Xbox One Controllers work on Series X

xCloud
-Included with GamePass Ultimate
HossAg
AG
Holy **** lol. Kinda excited though because it's gotta be powerful if they had to resort to that big of a case.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Xbox: PC
HossAg
AG
Looking at it again, it's basically the width of a controller based on that pic, so maybe it won't be so massive. I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's powerful.
PatAg
AG
Xbox X, for people to stupid to just buy a PC
Artorias
AG
Already being nicknamed Xbox SeX
MGS
HossAg said:

Looking at it again, it's basically the width of a controller based on that pic, so maybe it won't be so massive. I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's powerful.
Kind of like a rectangular version of the trashcan Mac Pro.
HossAg
AG
The draw of the Xbox, especially this model, is how much power you get for the price. They sell these things at a loss. And it's a machine who's UI is built around gaming only. I'm also a controller player only so I don't want to play against KBM players.
tk for tu juan
Hurry up and release Flight Simulator
Post removed:
by user
AgsWin2011
AG
Never preordered a console before but I just might for this one.
Tabasco
AG
PatAg said:

Thanks. Going to give this to my 7th grader for correct and edit
Pman17
AG
I'll be getting one for Christmas 2020. Especially since Halo Infinite launches on the console. That hasn't happened since the first.
PatAg
AG
Tabasco said:

PatAg said:

Make sure they check your post as well.
Just to be clear, I've bought all previous Xboxes. Just dont see this one as being worth it.
Not a Bot
AG
Why would they reveal this, unannounced, on a Thursday night in December? And why would they name it the "Series X" when they said all along the name would have something to do with its functionality and purpose.

Edit: Well I guess it is a new console. Complete surprise announcement. A little bit disappointing because I always enjoyed watching the traditional press conferences revealing the consoles and the anticipation.

Very odd choice of name. They are actually releasing two consoles so perhaps that is where the "series" comes in, perhaps they will have two different names.

As for the look, obviously quite different from anything we've seen from a console. I assume it is also playable on its side, which it needs to be to fit into home entertainment shelving. And when you do put it on its side it will be bigger than the original Xbox One. The size makes sense given the power leap. While AMD chips are very efficient and don't draw as much heat as the competition, that thing will still get incredibly hot and needs significant cooling.
JTA1029
AG
A little surprised and a little relieved to see it's got an optical drive still.
Jasomania
AG
Moxley said:

Why would they reveal this, unannounced, on a Thursday night in December? And why would they name it the "Series X" when they said all along the name would have something to do with its functionality and purpose.

Edit: Well I guess it is a new console. Complete surprise announcement. A little bit disappointing because I always enjoyed watching the traditional press conferences revealing the consoles and the anticipation.

Very odd choice of name. They are actually releasing two consoles so perhaps that is where the "series" comes in, perhaps they will have two different names.

As for the look, obviously quite different from anything we've seen from a console. I assume it is also playable on its side, which it needs to be to fit into home entertainment shelving. And when you do put it on its side it will be bigger than the original Xbox One. The size makes sense given the power leap. While AMD chips are very efficient and don't draw as much heat as the competition, that thing will still get incredibly hot and needs significant cooling.
It was during the video game awards which isn't really a big deal any more but is a vehicle for announcements as much as an award show. I think it's smart to announce early so you aren't burdened with trying to keep it a secrete and you can spend all of E3 really showing it off.
WES2006AG
AG
I would have thought they would try to hold off the announcement until after the holidays to get people who don't pay close attention to buy another round of the current consoles.

I'm still on a Day One Edition Xbox One so I will be in on this release for sure. Excited to have a system that will significantly improve loading times.
The Fife
Still on a day one edition as well, and this looks pretty tempting. I don't care about the form factor or appearance at all since it'll just go hide in the media closet with all the other HDMI systems.
HossAg
AG
Do you hook up to a receiver? My buddy does that with his and the input lag is just unbearable for me. Sucks though because I'd like to have a clean setup like that.
agdoc2001
AG
HossAg said:

Do you hook up to a receiver? My buddy does that with his and the input lag is just unbearable for me. Sucks though because I'd like to have a clean setup like that.
Something wrong with the receiver then. There should absolutely not be any noticeable input lag when connected to a receiver.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TMoney2007
AG
Hopefully with that design, they'll have better thermal management than they have in the past.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
TMoney2007 said:

Hopefully with that design, they'll have better thermal management than they have in the past.
I think they solved that already with the One X. As a PC and Xbox user, I'm curious to see what the performance improvements are. I don't care about 8K but the SSD memory might be useful. I'm fairly faithful to Microsoft when it comes to gaming and I'll probably get this one just because I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest....but I may not early adopt this time. I'm happy with my X and anything I want power for I play on my PC.
saltydog13
AG
It's going to have to cost at least $599 with the one X selling at $499
HossAg
AG
Ah, so ideally it just acts as a pass through without any processing.

Right now I still play on a monitor because my TV has too much input lag, but I'd love to get one of those new LG that have input lag times similar to monitors and have my setup include a media closet.

I'm just super weird about noticing input lag and it's always kept me from pulling the trigger on upgrading the setup.
HossAg
AG
I think $500 is the limit for a lot of parents buying consoles, so they may just have to sell it at that price point and make up for the losses via Xbox live, game pass, exclusives, accessories, etc.
The Fife
HossAg said:

Yes. All component and HDMI devices -> Onkyo receiver -> one 25' HDMI cable to the TV via ARC. I've had no lag whatsoever even when using 4K/HDR. Are you sure his system is set up ok?

edit: I don't think any of my components are anything special. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-/NR757 and the TV is a 65" Samsung UNKS8000 series (late 2016).
saltydog13
AG
Good point. The controller in front of the console looks like an Elite 2 with that different D-pad though which is interesting. It looks awesome for a console, but I'd rather just move on to building a PC and have unlimited customization and not have to pay to play online like Xbox Live/PSN.
TMoney2007
AG
saltydog13 said:

This is a new generation, so I wouldn't expect them to leave the current one prices as it is and add this one on top of it. That doesn't really make sense.

The One X will get cheaper and probably discontinued altogether at some point.
saltydog13
AG
TMoney2007 said:

saltydog13 said:

This is a new generation, so I wouldn't expect them to leave the current one prices as it is and add this one on top of it. That doesn't really make sense.

The One X will get cheaper and probably discontinued altogether at some point.

I meant the One X release price was $499, so I'd assume this one would be higher with the better performance.
HossAg
AG
His whole system suffered from input lag, but I noticed that plugging the HDMI in directly to the TV reduced it, so he could just have a really bad receiver, I'm not sure.
WES2006AG
AG
I'm in at $500 but for $600 it had better come with an Elite 2 controller.
TMoney2007
AG
HossAg said:

His whole system suffered from input lag, but I noticed that plugging the HDMI in directly to the TV reduced it, so he could just have a really bad receiver, I'm not sure.
There could have been some post processing or upscaling happening that might have caused the lag.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
PatAg said:

Irony is great
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
PatAg said:

Tabasco said:

PatAg said:

Make sure they check your post as well.
Just to be clear, I've bought all previous Xboxes. Just dont see this one as being worth it.
Why is this one the outlier? What facts do you have that have driven you to think this?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.