Xbox Series X

44,333 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pman17 said:

It's official!
Xbox Series X: $499
Xbox Series S: $299
Pre-Order September 22nd
Release November 10th
Very nice. Just bought a new TV an I am ready to enter the world of 4K gaming.
YNWA_AG
AG
EA play added to gamepass for free
jeffk
AG
Jim01
AG
Was pretty much out of the last generation but looking to get into this generation. We have a Switch and my boys are about to be 10 and 8 and love gaming.

I am leaning towards PS5 though because, from what I understand, it will have true exclusives whereas everything on the XBox will also be available on PC. Is that right?
Saxsoon
AG
Pretty much all microsoft 1st party exclusives have been confirmed to be gamepass/pc.
jr15aggie
AG
The EA Play included with Gamepass Ult. was a surprise. I've used free previews of EA's service and it's OK. Never enough for me to purchase outright, but as an included item for Gamepass Ult... very nice!

If xCloud delivers (we'll see starting next week) it's gonna make the Xbox universe a very attractive place to stay.
Pman17
AG
YNWA_AG said:

EA play added to gamepass for free

FYI, if you're currently subscribed to EA Play, that will convert to GamePass time.
wessimo
AG
Has anybody heard whether Xbox One controllers will work with Series S/X?
Claude!
wessimo said:

Has anybody heard whether Xbox One controllers will work with Series S/X?
From what I've read, yes - One controllers should work with the Series S/X.
wessimo
AG
That's great (albeit surprising) news! Saves buying three or four controllers at $50-60 ea.
WES2006AG
AG
wessimo said:

That's great (albeit surprising) news! Saves buying three or four controllers at $50-60 ea.
I believe I read that all accessories that work with Xbox One now will work with the Series S/X.
MGS
I think they finally dropped support for the Kinect.
easttexasaggie04
AG
That monthly installment plan sounds like a pretty good deal. Looks like I'll join the fold.
double aught
AG
wessimo said:

Look at me; I have three friends!
wessimo
AG
Kids, but whatever :p
jr15aggie
AG
I probably have around 8 XB1 controllers laying around. I only have 1 for myself that actually works well. For the others my kids have either worn them out or one of the thumb sticks has noticeable drifting.

I really hope the next version of the controllers are a bit more reliable... drifting sticks should not be an issue... analog sticks have been around over 20 years. I wouldn't mind if it were an isolated incident... but I have like 2 or 3 with pretty bad drift. Very noticeable with games like PUBG on the map screen...your cursor is moving even when you aren't touching the controller.

Anybody else have this issue with controllers?
WES2006AG
AG
I was wearing out a standard controller like every 6-9 months playing FPS games. I got tired of replacing them so I bought the Xbox Elite Controller Series 1. It has lasted for several years and I passed it along to my brother when I upgraded to the Elite Series 2.

The Elite controllers are stupid expensive but ended up being a cost effective option for me after not having to replace the standard controllers all the time.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like ya'll are throwing controllers when you lose. I've only had two XB1 controllers, each from when I bough the system and they work perfectly fine and have been used dang near every day
jeffk
AG
Still using my Day One controller here.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So which console is everyone getting? I'm not sure why the X is worth an extra $200.
MGS
I wish I could get the X in white.
WES2006AG
AG
wangus12 said:

Sounds like ya'll are throwing controllers when you lose. I've only had two XB1 controllers, each from when I bough the system and they work perfectly fine and have been used dang near every day
I don't think I've thrown a controller since I was playing Mario and they were still wired. My problem is I beat up the thumbsticks. Over time they would loosen up and start to drift.
WES2006AG
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

So which console is everyone getting? I'm not sure why the X is worth an extra $200.
I am 100% in on the X. It is a device that I will use for several years so the $200 extra dollars doesn't seem too bad over time. I also bought a specific TV to have all the features that the X brings.

The S is a great machine though. I wish they offered an all digital version of the X at launch but that doesn't seem to be happening.
wangus12
AG
I'll probably get the Series X, but it'll be next fall. Let them work out the kinks over the first year as well as get some more games out.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'll probably get the X, but not at release - maybe sometime in the spring. Not because I'm really worried about bugs or problems, but because there's really no release day game I just have to play right then.

Also, I need to find a job...
WES2006AG
AG
The main reason I am planning on preordering is because I am still on a Day 1 Xbox One, which is kind of crazy considering all the problems I had with having to replace my Xbox 360 several times.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll get the Series X and my kids will inherit my One X. Haven't fully decided if I'll get at launch yet, but no way would I go for the lesser powered console... I'm an older (+40) gamer and I want the best. I've earned it!

The Series S is a really cool idea though. Should do well for them with more casual gamers or the younger crowd that mostly play Fortnite and Roblox.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have Samsung TV that has 4K and HDR. Will it be able to take advantage of everything the X has to offer?
WES2006AG
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I have Samsung TV that has 4K and HDR. Will it be able to take advantage of everything the X has to offer?
It depends. If your Samsung isn't a 2020 model you might be missing a few things. From what I can tell the things that you want are HDMI 2.1, the ability to do 4k at 120FPS, and Variable Refresh Rate.
easttexasaggie04
AG
My TV is at least 2 years old. I'm honestly not sure what kind of HDMI it has. Maybe I'd just be better off getting the S or sticking with the One X I already have?
jr15aggie
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

My TV is at least 2 years old. I'm honestly not sure what kind of HDMI it has. Maybe I'd just be better off getting the S or sticking with the One X I already have?

You'll be fine. There may be a handful of games that take advantage of 120 Hz. Ori is one they are working on ("2D" platformer).

All other games will hopefully hit 60 fps at 4k... and probably an upscaled 4k at that. There are very few tvs that do 120hz... it's more of a pc monitor thing.

Point being, your TV will be just fine and taking full advantage of the Series X... it won't be holding it back.
Pman17
AG
I'm getting both systems. Getting the Series X on day 1. Then selling the One X & S and getting the Series S.
Gonna put my S up for sale next week.

The Series S is for travel.
Pman17
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

-3x GPU
-1.5x RAM
-2x Proprietary SSD
-UHD Blu-ray Drive

I would like to add. If Microsoft puts xCloud on the Series S, an X won't be worth an extra $200 if you've got a fiber connection. This xCloud is going to change the way we obtain games. No more waiting on an update or a game to install. The Series S could be a window to a Series X in the cloud.
permabull
AG
The Series S hooked this casual gamer. I was planning on waiting a bit to get the new Xbox since they announced the first round of "Series" games would also work on the "One" just at lower resolution. However today I noticed Xbox One S still sell for decent money ($170-$200) so I think I am going to try and unload mine and just pre-order the Series S. I only have 2 games I still sometimes play that are on disc and the rest are digital so I am not really giving up much to make the upgrade. I also took advantage of that $1 upgrade gold to gamepass ultimate deal earlier this year so I have that sub paid up till the middle of 2022.
jr15aggie
AG
xCloud suppose to launch today... I'm guessing it will be later in the day so that those west coast boys can wake up. I have a controller with me ready to fire it up on my phone and try it out!

Also just read that Minecraft Dungeons is being upated to use touch controls specifically for Xcloud. No interest in this game personally, but that's really cool... might be interested in something like Halo Wars, which I never played, if they made a similar patch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.