Xbox Series X

44,328 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltydog13 said:

Good point. The controller in front of the console looks like an Elite 2 with that different D-pad though which is interesting. It looks awesome for a console, but I'd rather just move on to building a PC and have unlimited customization and not have to pay to play online like Xbox Live/PSN.
Whatever you save in not paying for Xbox Live you're going to pay tenfold in parts for your custom PC. I've done the PC thing and I am not a fan. Too much tinkering with settings. Too much troubleshooting issues and optimization. Oh that awesome Rockstar game just came out? Let me wait another year for the PC version.

I have all the consoles, I built a modern PC, and I find myself on my Xbox 90% of the time. When I want to play a city builder or some simulator, I'll jump on my PC. But it's just not enough of a casual experience for me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm a programmer and already spent 8 hours of my day typing on a keyboard and when I get home I just want to lay back on my couch.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
saltydog13 said:

TMoney2007 said:

saltydog13 said:

It's going to have to cost at least $599 with the one X selling at $499
This is a new generation, so I wouldn't expect them to leave the current one prices as it is and add this one on top of it. That doesn't really make sense.

The One X will get cheaper and probably discontinued altogether at some point.

I meant the One X release price was $499, so I'd assume this one would be higher with the better performance.
I dunno... I thought the One X was going to be $599 too before it was announced at $499.
saltydog13
AG
Yeah that all makes sense. It's more of the performance and customization of a PC that I prefer. Like I said though, it's awesome to see how far consoles have progressed.
The Dog Lord
AG
saltydog13 said:

TMoney2007 said:

saltydog13 said:

This is a new generation, so I wouldn't expect them to leave the current one prices as it is and add this one on top of it. That doesn't really make sense.

I meant the One X release price was $499, so I'd assume this one would be higher with the better performance.

That's usually the case, but not always. Some of Microsoft's recent Surface releases were at the same price point as their prior models, but they had upgraded processors and everything else.
PatAg
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

PatAg said:

Tabasco said:

PatAg said:

Xbox X, for people to stupid to just buy a PC

Thanks. Going to give this to my 7th grader for correct and edit
Make sure they check your post as well.
Just to be clear, I've bought all previous Xboxes. Just dont see this one as being worth it.
Why is this one the outlier? What facts do you have that have driven you to think this?
Because Halo will also be available on PC going forward, which removes the need to buy an Xbox.
jeffk
AG
Might have to finally replace my Day One edition.
hph6203
AG
The Dog Lord said:

saltydog13 said:

TMoney2007 said:

saltydog13 said:

That's usually the case, but not always. Some of Microsoft's recent Surface releases were at the same price point as their prior models, but they had upgraded processors and everything else.

It's hardly ever the case. The normal cycle for technology is for there to be a price reduction and a refresh at the same price. It happens in processors (and laptops), graphics cards, TVs, game consoles, pretty much everything. This generation is a little different, because of the mid cycle refresh, but the price on the One X will drop, it's been out for two years and will be overdue for a reduction by next year. That'll put it in the $300 range and they might discontinue the One S as I don't think they can sustainably build it for sub 250.

It'll be interesting to see how the next gen goes. PlayStation is going to make their exclusives available on their streaming platforms at some point, which makes it unnecessary to buy their box if you want to play their games. Microsoft has already abandoned the idea of console exclusivity, and pivoted to operating their own store.
Pman17
AG
I think they'll continue the One S digital edition and drop the One S disk version. Then we'll probably get some sort of X streaming dongle for TV's for xCloud.

Xbox Series X Series
-Intro: X Steaming Dongle $50
-Basic: Xbox One S Digital $200
-Mid: Xbox One X: $300
-Pro: Xbox Series X: $500

Xbox will keep the Series X at a competitive price. $600 would be the max they could go. Microsoft produces these at a loss. The money is all in Xbox Live, Game Pass, and Store. At this age of Season Passes they're probably making more money than ever with existing games.
exitone
AG
PatAg said:

I'm not so sure about this.
To be open, I don't play games on my PC and have owned Original / 360 / One / One X.

Ease of use and access is there, but with as much cheating as I hear about for the online games, it sounds like its not even worth ones time going PC. I get annoyed enough playing against people with keyboards and controllers with scripts on the Xbox. I couldn't imagine playing against full on hacks on the PC.

Bregxit
AG
I thought Steve at Gamers' Nexus had an interesting observation that it looks like the same form factor as a Corsair One PC.
hph6203
AG
PatAg said:

PC gaming on a big screen TV is an absolutely horrible experience and ruins the additional utility of a PC. If you don't want to sit at a desk and play on a monitor you're wasting money and effort on building a PC rather than buying a console.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll be curious to watch this play out. I'm all in on the xbox eco system. I have a vast digital library of games, accessories, etc. I'm an xbox guy when it comes to gaming.

I'm also more than pleased with my current setup. One X for me and my original X in the kids TV area.

We'll see what the draw is to upgrade. Most likely I'll spend the money for the latest and greatest and my kids will inherit the X, which is still a very powerful system.
Pman17
AG
So far I know backwards compatibility with everything that runs on the One X, One controllers work, faster load times, ray tracing, 4K 60fps, and multiple games can be suspended in background.
double aught
AG
I wonder if I'll still be able to plug my DirecTV receiver into this and pass through like I do with the current Xbox One. Sounds silly, but that would be a big deal for my family. We love our current setup of running everything through the Xbox, using voice commands to turn all components on and off, and never changing TV inputs. Easy Peary.
HossAg
AG
I'd be shocked if they removed that feature.
tk for tu juan
Using Heilung for the Hellblade teaser trailer was a nice touch.

jr15aggie
AG
Pman17 said:

So far I know backwards compatibility with everything that runs on the One X, One controllers work, faster load times, ray tracing, 4K 60fps, and multiple games can be suspended in background.

I sorta figured they do this, and I'm glad... I have a lot invested in controllers, headsets, etc. for my family.

But I wouldn't mind a controller redesign as well. I've had a lot of drifting, across multiple controllers, on the analog sticks playing games like Apex. Keep the old stuff compatible, but let's improve on some of the known issues that plagued some of the accessories.

But the biggest thing is the transferring library of games. I buy all my games digitally now and glad to know they can come along.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

saltydog13 said:

Good point. The controller in front of the console looks like an Elite 2 with that different D-pad though which is interesting. It looks awesome for a console, but I'd rather just move on to building a PC and have unlimited customization and not have to pay to play online like Xbox Live/PSN.
Whatever you save in not paying for Xbox Live you're going to pay tenfold in parts for your custom PC. I've done the PC thing and I am not a fan. Too much tinkering with settings. Too much troubleshooting issues and optimization. Oh that awesome Rockstar game just came out? Let me wait another year for the PC version.

I have all the consoles, I built a modern PC, and I find myself on my Xbox 90% of the time. When I want to play a city builder or some simulator, I'll jump on my PC. But it's just not enough of a casual experience for me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm a programmer and already spent 8 hours of my day typing on a keyboard and when I get home I just want to lay back on my couch.
This makes a whole crap-load of sense. I'm in development as well and you're right. I probably spend more time on my Xbox unless I'm in WoW. Well said...
TMoney2007
AG
Pman17 said:

I think they'll continue the One S digital edition and drop the One S disk version. Then we'll probably get some sort of X streaming dongle for TV's for xCloud.

Xbox Series X Series
-Intro: X Steaming Dongle $50
-Basic: Xbox One S Digital $200
-Mid: Xbox One X: $300
-Pro: Xbox Series X: $500

Xbox will keep the Series X at a competitive price. $600 would be the max they could go. Microsoft produces these at a loss. The money is all in Xbox Live, Game Pass, and Store. At this age of Season Passes they're probably making more money than ever with existing games.
Some of the coverage I saw said that they thought the One X was too expensive at launch, so they wouldn't want to release this one at that price.

LG just released a firmware patch for their OLED TV's from 2019 that allows 4K 120HZ (over HDMI 2.1) and very very low latency... That might finally get me to make a jump into HDR movies, which would make this new xbox much more appealing.
DE4D
AG
HossAg said:

The draw of the Xbox, especially this model, is how much power you get for the price. They sell these things at a loss. And it's a machine who's UI is built around gaming only. I'm also a controller player only so I don't want to play against KBM players.

KBM or gtfo.... but i do love playing matches where people are clearky using a controlleron pc. Lolz
Pman17
AG

Specs Announced

AMD Zen 2 8 Core CPU, 3.8GHz per core
AMD RDNA 2 GPU: 12 teraflops, 52 compute units 1.825GHz per unit.
7nm
16GB of GDDR6 RAM
1TB NVME SSD

SSD is Removable for further expansion!

saltydog13
AG
I'm very curious to see the price on it
WES2006AG
AG
Can they just go ahead and release this console since we are all stuck in our houses for the foreseeable future.
Pman17
AG
Well ****, in order to play Series X Games they have to be on the proprietary storage.

Statement from Major Nelson...

You can continue to use your USB 3.1+ external hard drives on Xbox Series X & run Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox games directly from the external USB HDD. Games optimized for Xbox Series X & Velocity Architecture need to be run from the internal SSD or the Expandable Storage Drive
Not a Bot
AG
I don't see this is a big deal at all. The way the "Velocity" architecture works just isn't going to be compatible with anything else. They wanted to make sure there was consistency in the speed so developers could use it to their advantage. It is pretty impressive that they developed a format that allows external storage at that read speed.

It looks like you can still use a USB drive for external storage, you just have to move the game over to the internal drive before playing.

Also, it looks like they are licensing manufacturing to other companies for this format so while it is proprietary there will at least be some market competition.
tamusc
AG
Hands on and actual gameplay

It's essentially a Ryzen 7 3700X with a next gen RDNA2 based GPU with a higher CU count than even the current 5700XT (56 with 52 active versus 40 in the 5700XT). No word on how AMD will implement ray tracing in the new architecture (dedicated RT cores, etc). Combine that with 16GB of GDDR6 and a proprietary PCIe gen 4 NVMe SSD....that's some really solid performance.

Pricing will be really interesting because a gaming PC with similar specs would likely be in the ~$1,000 price range.

tamusc
AG
Moxley said:

I don't see this is a big deal at all. The way the "Velocity" architecture works just isn't going to be compatible with anything else. They wanted to make sure there was consistency in the speed so developers could use it to their advantage. It is pretty impressive that they developed a format that allows external storage at that read speed.

It looks like you can still use a USB drive for external storage, you just have to move the game over to the internal drive before playing.

Also, it looks like they are licensing manufacturing to other companies for this format so while it is proprietary there will at least be some market competition.
It's just a PCIe gen 4 NVMe SSD. The only thing really proprietary is the connector for the expansions slot, otherwise it's basically the same as any other NVMe SSD in the m.2 or PCIe card form factors. I do get why they are limiting series X games to the internal storage though.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Pman17
AG
Bump

Game Event July 23rd

xCloud included in Game Pass Ultimate and launches in September

All Xbox One games work on Series X

Xbox All Access will include Series X (Microsoft's 0% Interest Monthly Plan to buy an Xbox)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/
Agmaniacmike12
I'm not much of a console fanboy, but I think Microsoft is set up to blow Sony out of the water. Would love to see them acquire Warner Brothers Games. They have the hardware, game pass, and XCloud infrastructure. If they hit on these studio acquisitions that they have made, then it is lights out.
saltydog13
AG
Looks like Xbox live is going away and it'll be free to play online MP games just like PC
jr15aggie
AG
Agmaniacmike12 said:

I'm not much of a console fanboy, but I think Microsoft is set up to blow Sony out of the water.

Well we've definitely seen a back and forth since MS entered the market.

PS2>Xbox
XB360>PS3
PS4>XB1

Seems like the one on top gets lazy/complacent/cocky and the other really steps their game up (no pun intended). With the Ult. Gamepass being so popular, backwards compatibility, X Cloud... the XB brand looks to be very strong.
Pman17
AG
Microsoft stops production of the Xbox One X

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21327330/microsoft-xbox-one-x-s-digital-edition-discontinued
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Pman17 said:

Microsoft stops production of the Xbox One X

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21327330/microsoft-xbox-one-x-s-digital-edition-discontinued

Man, I thought you meant the series X was getting delayed. I'm pumped for the new system, but I wish they had differentiated the names a little more.
hph6203
AG
Think that's because they're going to operate with an Xbox One S, Xbox Series S (replacing the X with similar specs, but with an upgraded hard drive) and Xbox Series X. There's no more room for the X.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.