Xbox Series X

44,381 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pman17
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

FYI usable space on the internal drive is just over 800 GB. So around 200 GB reserved for OS n stuff.

Not surprising. Typically you only have around 930GB available out of 1TB after just formatting.
jr15aggie
AG
92Ag95
AG
Anyone else get an email from their Amazon pre-order about some BS "high order volume" and "may not arrive on release day" ?
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like I did get that... thanks for the heads up. They have my junk email and I don't check it often.

Not surprising. This happened for my One X preorder... they couldn't get it to me launch day. Found one on the shelf at Target so I bought it instead and canceled the Amazon order.
92Ag95
AG
jr15aggie said:

Looks like I did get that... thanks for the heads up. They have my junk email and I don't check it often.

Not surprising. This happened for my One X preorder... they couldn't get it to me launch day. Found one on the shelf at Target so I bought it instead and canceled the Amazon order.
Very disengenuous to take pre-orders for consoles in excess of their initial release-day allotment. I'd much rather have seen the 'Currently Unavailable' screen than be led to believe that I was fortunate enough to snag one for release day delivery. Every day.....my 'Fck Amazon' jar gets a little more full.
YNWA_AG
AG
They didn't over sell. They sent the email to cover themselves in case some of the deliveries are late. They sent the same email for the ps5
Pman17
AG
And that's why I ordered from Microsoft. Even if Microsoft over sells, they are priority. My orders still say November 10th.
jr15aggie
AG
Pman17 said:

And that's why I ordered from Microsoft. Even if Microsoft over sells, they are priority. My orders still say November 10th.

I think a lot of us tried... the website was Fubar'd so we had to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't get all bent out of shape on the Amazon deal. First of all, it may all work out just fine. Second of all, even in my example of the One X above it wasn't like it was going to take months to get it. They just fessed up that I wasn't going to get it on launch day. I happened to find one at Target on day 1 instead so I cancelled the Amazon order.
WES2006AG
AG
I have a feeling Amazon has the units they sold at preorder available but are hedging on the delivery services. They know USPS is fubar and UPS doesn't always make their deadline.

Or maybe they just oversold, if that is the case though I would be less than happy.
WES2006AG
AG

Not really a video about the Series X specifically but this is the first place I've seen that Microsoft is shipping with a high speed HDMI. I figured they would but that is still good news.
jr15aggie
AG
Strange that I'm so excited for improved performance in existing games. Sekiro is a game on my short list for example (I've beaten all the Souls games)... now I'll get to play at 60 frames and super fast load times. Sweet.

It almost feels like the Series X and PS5 are the true next gen consoles to the 360 and PS3. Plenty of great and great looking games on the One and PS4, but now we finally get to play them as they should have been all along.
WES2006AG
AG
I am also more excited than usual for this kind of update. I guess it is that I have had the same console since 2013 and it is a badly needed upgrade.

Is it November 10th yet?
Chase McGuire
Sekiro is so good.
jr15aggie
AG
Curious to see how quickly games like Doom Eternal get a legitimate Series X patch now that it's an in-house game. I'm interested in playing, but I'd like to play an optimized version!
jr15aggie
AG
hph6203
AG

Seems like getting an external standard SSD might be the better/cheaper option for expanding storage than the proprietary hard drive in the near term and maybe even long term. Half the cost of the expansion card for the same storage and no difference in benefit as far as playing backwards compatible games.

Get enough external storage to hold all of your games and reserve the internal drive for Xbox Series X/S games you're actively playing. Download new games and once you finish playing the initial session queue it up to copy the game to the external drive overnight as a backup, delete the game from the internal drive when you no longer play it regularly, copy it back to the internal drive when you want to play it again.

10 minutes for 170 GB from an external SSD to the internal drive. That's half the time it would take to download it at full gigabit speeds (if you could even achieve them).

Could have 1TB of playable backwards compatible space, and 1TB of Xbox Series X backup storage for the price of 1TB of additional Xbox Series X playable storage.

All you'd be giving up is quick resume on backwards compatible games and 5-10 minutes of time when you go back to the well of a game you haven't played in awhile.

I imagine this is likewise true for the PS5.
PneumAg
I just want like a 10 TB drive. Why the **** do we have to play this stupid game of "buy this external drive and that external drive, store these games here, and store those games there, and keep those other games in the cloud because they aren't worth the space," etc. I'll pay for it. I don't care if it costs more. I just want the space. Why can't they release an 8 or 10 TB version for like 800 bucks? Come on.
tamusc
AG
The cheapest 8TB NVMe SSD on Amazon is currently $1,400. 4TB will run around $800.
Dawnguard
AG
PneumAg said:

I just want like a 10 TB drive. Why the **** do we have to play this stupid game of "buy this external drive and that external drive, store these games here, and store those games there, and keep those other games in the cloud because they aren't worth the space," etc. I'll pay for it. I don't care if it costs more. I just want the space. Why can't they release an 8 or 10 TB version for like 800 bucks? Come on.
As Tamusc said - the price for NVME storage is crazy high - but as you near the end of the Series X lifecycle, I'd bet you can buy a 8TB stick of NVME memory. Right now, the 1TB expansion stick is estimated at $250.

In addition - the "Killer app" for this gen is going to be the use and mainstreaming of this solid state memory. The whole generation is about pushing this tech into the mainstream after having to work around the limitations of hard drive read/write speed for so long. The main thing the consumer will feel due to this change is the quick resume being nearly universal and the loading screens slowly going away. There are other benefits - but the general user won't really notice. I expect to finally see the tech in the PC side of this move forward as well.
tamusc
AG
The 1TB expansion is $220, which is right in line with NVMe SSDs of similar performance.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-storage-expansion-card-for-xbox-series-xs-1tb-solid-state-drive-nvme-expansion-ssd-for-xbox-series-xs/6425015.p?skuId=6425015

I think you're right that we'll see larger capacity drives for less money later in the life cycle as those kinds of drives become cheaper.

Also agree that it's going to be great to have this in consoles, as they tend to be the lowest common denominator, so any tech in them will get pushed forward in the PC market as well. Microsoft is releasing the DirectStorage API now as well since the new GPUs support that technology. It's similar to the tech that some devs were talking up about the PS5 that the Xbox Series S/X also support.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/
jr15aggie
AG
I'll stick with my standard external storage drive for now... when I spend money to upgrade it will be for the internal stuff. I'm looking forward to the speed benefits.
Pman17
AG
Yea, a 1TB will be $100 in two years.
Charlie Conway
Pman17
AG

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/j9oq6a/xbox_series_x_shipments_have_started_less_than_1/
double aught
AG
jr15aggie
AG
jr15aggie
AG
First impressions of "next gen" games coming out. This is a good watch if you want to get an idea about what the new consoles can do. As I've said before, I think early on the real benefit is games finally playing really well. No more 30 fps with occasional drops into the 20s. Or in the case of PUBG at launch, 10-15 fps!!!

Looking forward to what we get once we get fully optimized games, but for now, I'll take games that look great and finally play really well. I'm personally going to wait to play Cyberpunk until they drop their Series X patch.

Zombie
Am I the only one that gets a little motion sickness with 120hz? There are times I think we can get TOO high def to where it starts to have the opposite effect of realism. Is "too real" a thing?
tamusc
AG
Zombie said:

Am I the only one that gets a little motion sickness with 120hz? There are times I think we can get TOO high def to where it starts to have the opposite effect of realism. Is "too real" a thing?

Not for games. High refresh is super helpful for games. Heck, even general desktop usage is a lot nicer at 120Hz and higher.
jr15aggie
AG
Zombie said:

I have but it's temporary. I played BF4 on the 360 for a few months and then got the free upgraded version when I got the XB1... playing the game at 60 fps for the first time (compared to 30 fps on the 360) was very disorienting. I didn't get motion sickness but it did feel a bit like I was dizzy.

It went away after a short little while, but it was a very immediate and noticeable difference that took me a couple hours to get use to.
permabull
AG
I saw on youtube that the new yakuza game has three graphics modes and on the X the high res 4k is 30hz capped with some frame dips, normal mode is 1440p 60hz capped and sometimes dips and it also has a performance mode that is 60hz capped with no dips at 1080p.

It appears on the series S the the high res will be 1440p and the article I read said to get 60hz it drops to 900p. It wasn't clear from what I found online if that 900p was th "normal" mode or the "performance" mode. I would hope normal mode is 1080p and it just has to drop to 900p to remove all framerate dips.

On the one hand it's concerning that games are already having to make serious frame rate sacrifices at 4k, but at least this seems to confirm that 4k frame rates on the series X map to equivalent 1440p frame rates on the Series S. Hopefully they figure out some optimizations as time goes on.
YNWA_AG
AG
Never played those games, but that engine has always been terrible.
WES2006AG
AG
This has me a little concerned. I bought the Vizio OLED to go with the Series X but the Vizio OLED doesn't support 1440p. Wondering if that is going to be a big issue moving forward. I guess worst case I could just play all games in 4K at a lower frame rate if they don't support 4K60 or 4K120.
permabull
AG
Yeah the game has been out all year in Japan and apparently it only runs 1080p30 on a PS4 pro so the fact it runs 1440p30 on the series S gives and example of the power difference between last gen top of the line vs current gen budget. It's closer than I expected but after selling my one-s I am not really putting that much money down to get into the Series S.

Edit: apparently the non pro PS4 runs the game 900p30 so the series S at least for the same appears to be 2x more powerful than the base PS4 since it supposedly will run 900p60
permabull
AG
I believe the console can scale the 1440p to 4k so you should be okay.

You will still get the 60hz if the game is rendered at 1440p 60 and then scaled up. Having it render at 4k just makes it that much sharper than being up scaled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.