*** THE LAST OF US *** (Non-Gamer Thread)

180,814 Views | 2419 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by jokershady
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We gave it a week, but the initial thread is consistently getting too close for comfort for a number of us, with posters who think they're avoiding spoilers, but still can't help but hint at game play, and posting links to articles, without the necessary warnings, that spoil both games. So, we're going to treat this thread like any other series thread. Discussion of SHOW EVENTS ONLY and NO GAME TALK WHATSOEVER. No hinting, no alluding, and no game spoilers behind spoiler tags. Basically, for this thread, pretend the games don't exist.

If you guys want to make the other thread the de facto game spoiler thread, go for it. Do whatever you want over there, all I know is I'm done clicking on it.
FL_Ag1998
Rudyjax
AG
Thanks. I also think this was needed.
KidDoc
AG
I played a little of the game but I didn't like the stealth mechanics so the show has pretty much caught up to when I quit haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PascalsWager
AG
The people (fans of the game) I've talked to about this and the way its marketed feels like yet another post apocalyptic zombie show.

I tried the Walking Dead and lasted two seasons. If the point of a show like this is show how people go about working towards a "cure" or fix of any kind, I can get behind that (even if its never reached). If the point is to show that living in this world would be difficult and that people would be cruel and violent; that seems tedious me.
Saxsoon
AG
PascalsWager said:

The people (fans of the game) I've talked to about this and the way its marketed feels like yet another post apocalyptic zombie show.

I tried the Walking Dead and lasted two seasons. If the point of a show like this is show how people go about working towards a "cure" or fix of any kind, I can get behind that (even if its never reached). If the point is to show that living in this world would be difficult and that people would be cruel and violent; that seems tedious me.
I don't think you have to look past the first episode to tell you exactly what type of show this will be. Neil and Craig ( the producers of the show ) went to great lengths into their BTS podcast that this show is a love story and how incredibly toxic that can be.

And no, not romantic love
PascalsWager
AG
Saxsoon said:

PascalsWager said:

I don't think you have to look past the first episode to tell you exactly what type of show this will be. Neil and Craig ( the producers of the show ) went to great lengths into their BTS podcast that this show is a love story and how incredibly toxic that can be.

I appreciate that, I will check out the first episode!
Ol Jock 99
jokershady
AG
As a TLOU gamer, I agree with you and feel it was only a matter of time before something got messed up story wise….

this is just to stress you the hell out….or tempt you….and if you read this you failed and you should be sad….

I would also recommend DO NOT SEARCH YOUTUBE for anything TLOU related. You will inevitably get video suggestions with spoiler material from the games in the thumbnail or title….
Saxsoon
AG
Don't look up anyone in this show in any context whatsoever
AR_Ag95
AG
Never have played the game…..so thank you!!! I love the cast!
Madmarttigan
AG
Not all heroes wear capes
Formerly tv1113
jokershady
AG
So who here was creeped the hell out by grandma in this first episode? Was getting IT chapter 2 vibes from that scene
double aught
AG
Indeed.

I'm in.
KidDoc
AG
jokershady said:

So who here was creeped the hell out by grandma in this first episode? Was getting IT chapter 2 vibes from that scene
Totally. Great scene/sequence.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasTeleAg
I think it's going to be inevitable to have this show spoiled, speaking as someone who just happened to see a thumbnail on YouTube.

I do think we need a thread without spoilers, because those spoiler tags are so easy to scroll through and accidentally see.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I predict…

This show is going to be way too scary for me. Y'all have fun.
Thanks and gig'em
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

PascalsWager said:

Oh, so necrophelia love?!

I knew the left couldn't help themselves and would use a popular IP to slippery slope us as a society into something like this.

[Im joking. The setup was too easy.]
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TC, I'm a gamer. I'm not sure I can control my bias from knowing how the story ends in the game to not **** the story for you all in this thread, so I guess I have to be sanctioned to the gamer nerdy thread while y'all build walls vs enjoy all in diverse company

Some posters were strongly hinting at key story beats from the game but didn't realize it I don't think. Was not me myself or I

I will be patiently lurking from the gamers thread with A teardrop on my face as I think about what could, what could have been if we all had just joined hands instead of built walls

PatAg
AG
Its just not possible to talk about a show/movie if you already know the source material (either a book or game). You can do your best to be careful, but you will always reveal things without meaning to.
Thats ignoring the people that want to seem smart or cool by 'guessing' things. Those people just suck.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Yes, the guessing is almost too coincidental
CondensedFogAggie
I'm enjoying the show, if honestly not quite hooked yet.

The suspense was really great early on, obviously the daughter incident was extremely sad. Acting and cinematography is great. The post apocalypse background and storyline though seems a bit typical enough.

That being said, have high hopes for the episodes to come, and thank you for creating this spoiler free thread!
jeffk
AG
Have any of you read The Girl with All the Gifts? Novel with a really similar apocalyptic premise as TLOS - fungi, spores, young girl protagonist, etc. Both came out right around the same time too - 2013.
Rocagnante
AG
PascalsWager said:

I'd wager that Pedro thinks it will be a good show….

Username checks out.
Rocagnante
AG
jokershady said:

As a TLOU gamer, I agree with you and feel it was only a matter of time before something got messed up story wise….

this is just to stress you the hell out….or tempt you….and if you read this you failed and you should be sad….

I would also recommend DO NOT SEARCH YOUTUBE for anything TLOU related. You will inevitably get video suggestions with spoiler material from the games in the thumbnail or title….

And yet another username that checks out…
Rudyjax
AG
Don't post. It's that simple.
fav13andac1)c
AG
On the same notes and vibe of this thread, and to emphasize what others have pointed out, do NOT YouTube this show or anything related to it. You WILL get game spoilers as it has been out for 10 years. It's going to be very difficult to not get spoiled as it is, but don't make it more difficult.

The HBO official The Last Of Us podcast is a good source if you want to think about the show outside of actually watching it.
jokershady
AG
Rudyjax
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

On the same notes and vibe of this thread, and to emphasize what others have pointed out, do NOT YouTube this show or anything related to it. You WILL get game spoilers as it has been out for 10 years. It's going to be very difficult to not get spoiled as it is, but don't make it more difficult.

The HBO official The Last Of Us podcast is a good source if you want to think about the show outside of actually watching it.

The only way I'll get spoiled is jackalopes posting on this thread.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

TC, I'm a gamer. I'm not sure I can control my bias from knowing how the story ends in the game to not **** the story for you all in this thread, so I guess I have to be sanctioned to the gamer nerdy thread while y'all build walls vs enjoy all in diverse company

Some posters were strongly hinting at key story beats from the game but didn't realize it I don't think. Was not me myself or I

I will be patiently lurking from the gamers thread with A teardrop on my face as I think about what could, what could have been if we all had just joined hands instead of built walls

So yea, I was under the influence when I posted this last night.
I totally get it and just giving y'all a hard time.
Ignore my dumbass Saturday night posts!
Quinn
AG
Glad to see that the Non-Gamers thread attracts gamers as much as the non-Book readers Game of Thrones thread attracted Book Readers. They can't help themselves and are never being as sneaky/clever as they think!

Anyways, it was a good first episode building out the world and introducing Joel. I'm intrigued enough to watch one more end of the world show.
jokershady
AG
Quinn said:

Glad to see that the Non-Gamers thread attracts gamers as much as the non-Book readers Game of Thrones thread attracted Book Readers. They can't help themselves and are never being as sneaky/clever as they think!

Anyways, it was a good first episode building out the world and introducing Joel. I'm intrigued enough to watch one more end of the world show.
im just here to read mostly cause I'm curious what future predictions from those not familiar with the story will be after future episodes….

Glad there's two separate threads
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Checking in.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I'm going to start my own thread on the Nerdery.

Joking aside, this is a good move by TCTTS imo. Can't wait for tonight's episode. Hopefully it's right after the Cowboys solidify their flight itinerary to Philly.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Starts 6pm PT / 9pm ET?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.