Westworld 3 - 2020

124,394 Views | 1470 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I'd like five internet points for figuring that out first please.
You were right!
amercer
AG
bobinator said:

I've been thinking about what's 'off' and the thing I've come up with is "where the hell is everyone?" I know for budget reasons crowds are hard, but this show has a decent budget so they could throw some randos in the deep background on scenes or whatever.

There are like... very few people in this future. And maybe that's because the system is cutting down on children or whatever, but to me that's the weirdest thing about the world is the lack of people.

The "real" world does have a sort of Future World for Rich People Only vibe. So either all the lol poors are elsewhere, or an AI guided utopia of the future just needs a lot less humans....
bobinator
AG
For a second this got me way down a wild galaxy brained rabbit hole... I was trying to figure out if we know for sure that Dolores knows there are other parks and if everything that's happened this season could be happening in a 'future world.'

Trying to figure out some of this stuff takes you to weird places sometimes.
amg405
AG
Extremely entertaining episode.

However... I'm finding it better to just enjoy what I understand (plot wise) and not worry about the rest. Maybe I'll just let y'all figure it out for me.
mavsfan4ever
AG
bobinator said:

For a second this got me way down a wild galaxy brained rabbit hole... I was trying to figure out if we know for sure that Dolores knows there are other parks and if everything that's happened this season could be happening in a 'future world.'

Trying to figure out some of this stuff takes you to weird places sometimes.
This would be an awesome twist.
TCTTS
AG
If it turns out everything we've been watching is somehow just another park, I think I'd riot. I seriously doubt a majority of the audience would even come back.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I think there's next to no chance it's anything like that, I was just trying to think of what there could possibly by that would be a "twist" and make sense and got down a weird mental rabbit hole.
YellowPot_97
AG
TCTTS said:

If it turns out everything we've been watching is somehow just another park, I think I'd riot. I seriously doubt a majority of the audience would even come back.

I'd love that twist! It would be back.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TCTTS said:

MTV presents "Real World"
TCTTS
AG
I need my AltShiftX fix...

tk for tu juan
Did y'all talk about the book young William was reading? Rewatching the episode I paused to search for the title (which is not a real title) and see this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/g4sd8h/lil_williams_book_dissected/

I usually avoid reading the Westworld subreddit, but found the post interesting
TCTTS
AG
The Recappables guys touched on this briefly, but I hadn't yet read the reddit post. That's certainly interesting.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

I need my AltShiftX fix...

Ah, there it is. This is the good stuff...

TCTTS
AG
It's interesting watching the HaxDogma and AltShiftX videos this week. HaxDogma totally figured out the whole Senora, Mexico issue, but expressed confusion to the point of annoyance at Maeve taking on all the Nazis again in the simulation. Wheres AltShiftX expressed confusion to the point of annoyance at the Senora, Mexico thing, but completely understood that Maeve was fighting the Nazis again as part of a training program to hone her skills. Usually all of these videos are mostly on the same page, but it's funny to see how they both missed things this week that the other got.
TCTTS
AG
Game day.
TV Casualty
AG
It's going to be interesting to see what gets shared about Caleb tonight. The parallels between him and William are interesting.

I was just thinking that the death of his army buddy seems to mirror that of William shooting his daughter.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Really good episode tonight, IMO. Found out who Maeve brought back and they owned Sato. Got some good background on Caleb and a lot of us called it that he was being re-programmed like a host and killed Francis. Confirmed that the RICO app was a Solomon spin-off. And got a solid Maeve v. Delores showdown. Don't think we're in for a huge reveal this season, but I don't need that with every season, though some are going to disagree.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm going to have to watch it again. They may have thought it was cool to give Solomon a french accent but he was really hard to understand.
amercer
AG
Meh.

Caleb reveal was as expected.

Maeve vs Delores seems really forced, and we're going to keep doing it for some reason.

And the William plot seems like it's just going sideways. We've had two seasons of him not realizing he's actually the bad guy. Does his character ever get any growth?
merc
AG
amercer said:

Meh.

Caleb reveal was as expected.

Maeve vs Delores seems really forced, and we're going to keep doing it for some reason.

And the William plot seems like it's just going sideways. We've had two seasons of him not realizing he's actually the bad guy. Does his character ever get any growth?
I agree with this. I enjoyed the episode but the Maeve storyline has just become annoying to me. Caleb reveal didn't do much for me. Outside of a big twist that had all been put together already. Holding out hope for a Serac twist but this is setting up as a season cliff hanger and a two year wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not bad.

Caleb's backstory was kind of what most of us expected at this point I think, although I should have figured out that the RICO app was part of the system. That was about the only surprising detail of the whole reveal for me.

Maeve vs Dolores showdown was cool, but maybe not the climactic fight I had anticipated after all that build-up. Plus, when Dolores was trying to convince Maeve that their motives were the same, I kept asking myself...I mean, aren't they?

I'm still not 100% clear why they are not on the same side here. I know Maeve just wants to get back to the Valley Beyond, and Dolores is trying to protect the hosts from Serac...so...why aren't they working together again?

If I had to guess, they'll finally figure out that should be on the same side in the finale, setting up a Maeve + Dolores + Halores + hosts vs Serac showdown in S4.

Can't figure out where William would land in all that, since he wants to destroy the hosts, but he's also not exactly buddies with Serac. And I have no clue where Caleb lands either. (Dolores wants him to lead the humans, but wouldn't that put him up against the hosts? Not quite clear where his storyline is going.)

So, given that Halores (screw it, I'm just calling her Hale) betrayed Dolores to Maeve, are we meant to assume that Dolores actually killed Hale's family in the car bomb? That's kind of unforgivable if you're Hale, so she might not be so eager to let Dolores jump on the bandwagon if she joins Team Maeve.
PooDoo
AG
I thought the drone gun was pretty awesome
amercer
AG
I'm not convinced that Delores really wants to liberate the hosts. So far she's just copied herself.

And Caleb now seems like a long con by Delores to kick off the destruction of humanity.

Serac is 100% looking to betray Maeve and destroy the valley beyond, and that's why it's seems like she should be on team Delores (and why the fights seem forced), but presumably Hale 2.0 is the key to understanding this.

Again, the William/Bernard plot is all WTF
Teddy Perkins
AG
Oh and line of the night:
Quote:

Don't lecture me, you f'ing can opener.
Breggy Popup
AG
Anyone notice when they showed Hale calling Mushashi that she no longer had burns?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm just happy we got one more "****ing Ford"
redline248
AG
Quote:

So, given that Halores (screw it, I'm just calling her Hale) betrayed Dolores to Maeve, are we meant to assume that Dolores actually killed Hale's family in the car bomb? That's kind of unforgivable if you're Hale, so she might not be so eager to let Dolores jump on the bandwagon if she joins Team Maeve.
I don't think Dolores had Hale killed. I think it was still Serac, but after Hale called Dolores that Serac was onto her and Dolores told her to stick with the plan and not to save herself, she figured Dolores doesn't really care about any of them. That's my take, anyway.

I also don't think Dolores's plan is for Caleb to lead the humans against the hosts, but to lead the humans to revolution against the system. You know, freedom and liberty from the control of some megalomaniac (Serac). If Dolores really is interested in killing all of humanity, then they are hiding that pretty well this season...could be a reveal coming.

Finally, I used to work with a guy that was leaving our job to go work for someone that was developing a targeting software to put on scopes for hunting purposes (it might have been military purposes). He told me it was Linux based. This was like 7 or 8 years ago, so that drone thing Dolores had might not be all that futuristic.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know how I feel about this episode. It was well done, but there was waaaaay too much exposition throughout, and it all basically covered stuff we either already knew or had already guessed. Granted, some of us have willingly gone further down the rabbit hole than others, and are thus able to more easily anticipate what's coming, but even to a casual viewer, most everything revealed tonight was pretty easy to guess. I don't need or want a big, it-was-all-a-simulation surprise or anything like that, but I was still somewhat underwhelmed at how run-of-the-mill the plot developments were tonight.

This was also the first episode where the character dynamics started to feel a little stale to me. Dolores and Maeve, in particular, have had the same, basic conversation three times now, and Maeve was yet again fairly easily defeated after a big build up. Not only is their relationship and faux-hatred for each other just not that compelling, before every fight they spell out to each other exactly why it's not compelling - because no matter how much they try to build up her stakes (Serac will send her to hell if she fails), Maeve's plight is nonsensical, considering it's obvious to everyone but her that Serac is going to betray her. Maeve and Dolores teaming up to free Maeve of Serac's grip would be so much more interesting (and maybe that's where this is all leading to next episode). Not to mention, Dolores vs. Serac, Dolores vs. William, and even Dolores vs. Charlores are all way more compelling storylines.

Like a few of the others, I need to sit with this episode and probably rewatch it. That said, I don't see myself coming around or thinking it will be way better on a rewatch like I have for some of the others. It was... fine. I was just expecting a bit more of the unexpected from the penultimate episode, I guess.
TCTTS
AG
Bregxit said:

Anyone notice when they showed Hale calling Mushashi that she no longer had burns?

She still had burns on the left side of her face, but I was surprised to see how much of her face had already healed. I guess hosts have super-fast-healing skin?
PooDoo
AG
Bregxit said:

She does run a company that 3d prints people out of tubs of milk.
TCTTS
AG
Not anymore.
TCTTS
AG
Basically my thoughts exactly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My biggest complaint about this season in general has been the murky motivations for me.

Every time Dolores and Maeve meet on screen, they talk about why they're against each other, and it STILL doesn't make sense to me.

And admittedly, the lack of "holy ****" revelation has been a bit of a disappointment. It's just something we've come to expect from the show.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. They KEEP saying why they shouldn't fight each other... and then they fight anyway. I can understand that happening once, but they've now fought TWICE (Dolores via Musashi the first time), and have argued their predicament THREE times. I understand that Maeve A) doesn't want to go to the hell Serac will send her to if she fails, and B) is pissed at Dolores for killing Hector, but it should be SO obvious to her that this is exactly what Serac wants - for Dolores and Maeve to be at odds. And it's driving me nuts that Maeve can't see that, or doesn't try and figure out at solution with Dolores that will solve BOTH of their plights.Again, that's probably where all of this is leading to, but it shouldn't have taken an entire season to get there.
redline248
AG
Regarding Maeve v Dolores: it reminds me of The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Albert and Utred are always bickering about this or that and never actually talking about the true feelings/desires. Pride always in the way. That's what it feels like with Maeve. She probably knows Dolores is right, but can't get past not being the one in control or being the leader. Most of her existence has been running the saloon and telling other hosts what to do, after all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.