Westworld 3 - 2020

124,283 Views | 1470 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
My take on the drug thing was that only the last genre was at all important. When it's "reality" and Caleb is watching him die and having his flashbacks. There was a quick shot of him in a med chair and strapped down. So, it wasn't just the drug altering his reality, something else definitely did. The only other thing that might be meaningful from the drug trip was the romance movie part. He could be another dude to fall in love with Dolores...although, I'm not really betting on it.

I thought this episode was awesome
Counterpoint
AG
Watched with captions on, and that Shining song is by Redrumer!
MW03
AG
When Marshawn told him to be careful about the last part of the genre trip, and then they cued up the shining music, I thought they were abut to step into a horror movie or something. Then, nothing happened.
MW03
AG
One weird thing I noticed was that they said the first versions of the AI brain were named Saul, and then David, and that the current version was Solomon. Those are the first three Kings of Israel and Judah.

Rehoboam was the son of Solomon, and the King of Judah. However, there was a split in the ancient kingdom with Israel choosing Jeroboam instead.

Of course, in Jewish tradition, the Messiah is someone who is said will come from the Davidic Line and lead the Hebrew people. In the Christian tradition, Jesus is said to be of the Davidic Line and believed to be that Messiah. He is also said to be divine, being of man and God, and being both man and God.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is whether Delores, and specifically her AI, stems from one of the AI brains known as David, Solomon, or Rehoboam, and is therefore of the Davidic line. And is she "divine" since they said they were trying to build a god? Is she man (emotions) and god (intellect) combined?

Interesting that information was revealed on an Easter episode, but I digress.

Malachi Constant
AG
MW03 said:

One weird thing I noticed was that they said the first versions of the AI brain were named Saul, and then David, and that the current version was Solomon. Those are the first three Kings of Israel and Judah.

Rehoboam was the son of Solomon, and the King of Judah. However, there was a split in the ancient kingdom with Israel choosing Jeroboam instead.

Of course, in Jewish tradition, the Messiah is someone who is said will come from the Davidic Line and lead the Hebrew people. In the Christian tradition, Jesus is said to be of the Davidic Line and believed to be that Messiah. He is also said to be divine, being of man and God, and being both man and God.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is whether Delores, and specifically her AI, stems from one of the AI brains known as David, Solomon, or Rehoboam, and is therefore of the Davidic line. And is she "divine" since they said they were trying to build a god? Is she man (emotions) and god (intellect) combined?

Maybe not, but Bernard/Arnold certainly is.
TV Casualty
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

MW03 said:

Connells-delores pointed out to Bernard that he was the only one that is not replaceable. Seemed to insinuate that Bernard is at the center of this plan.
TCTTS
AG
Man, The Recappables guys eviscerated this episode. They're usually almost universally complimentary/enthusiastic, but are basically at a loss here, and able to express the problems with this episode far better than I could. The more I've thought about it, I really do think this was one of the worst episodes of the series for me...

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/12/21218645/westworld-s3e5-genre
TCTTS
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
Just rewatched. Don't get the hate. This was one of my favorite episodes so far this season.

Score - 10/10 and one of the best yet.

Aaron Paul and Evan Rachel Wood killed this episode acting wise.

We learned a lot about the origins of "the system". Learned more about the two sides we are seeing at play here.

One real question then one fun question:

Real: what's next for Bernard after escaping so to speak?

Fun: Caleb and Delores are gonna bang right? We got tons of gratuitous glances from Delores to Caleb this episode.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
redline248
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Going to find the facility housing the outliers, maybe

Quote:

Fun: Caleb and Delores are gonna bang right? We got tons of gratuitous glances from Delores to Caleb this episode.

Most of the gratuitous glances were from Caleb during his romance genre, but we definitely haven't had enough tits, this season
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Which is also where William is being held. I think we're finally going to get a big Bernard/William convo.
BenFiasco14
AG
redline248 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Quote:

Most of the gratuitous glances were from Caleb during his romance genre, but we definitely haven't had enough tits, this season

Regarding two, she sized him up numerous times. If we see Delores tits, my nerd boner will rupture the roof
TCTTS
AG
You realize we've seen them in each of the previous two seasons, right?
amercer
AG
TCTTS said:

redline248 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Which is also where William is being held. I think we're finally going to get a big Bernard/William convo.

Sending William to Serac would be a really bad way for Delores to sideline her oldest enemy.

Seems like there is still some Delos/Incyte connection that is missing. Like MW03s idea that maybe the original host AI was Solomon. Bernard is always the one on the self discovery journey.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

You realize we've seen them in each of the previous two seasons, right?

Delores and Caleb? Now I'm intrigued. What's the theory behind that?

Oh, you meant tits.

Yeah, but this season Delores is next level hot. Can a guy not request more tits?
TCTTS
AG
I wonder if William will have any insight into... Incite?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, true. And yes. Yes, you can.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, true. And yes. Yes, you can.
Plus, a nerd boner can easily be replenished with copious amounts of fan theories, Mountain Dew, and Doritos
TCTTS
AG
From the trailer, here's some topless Dolores action for you, coming later this season...

BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

From the trailer, here's some topless Dolores action for you, coming later this season...

How you gonna do me like that man? Got my hopes up just to throw them away.
spanky
AG
Fischerspooner outro had me ready to run through a wall
NASAg03
MW03 said:

The theology, philosophy, thought experiments, sfx, talk about being released and government control. Man this is the best sci fi I've ever watched. Perfect timing.

Regarding the theology, you do have a Jesus / Satan thing going on with Bernard and Deloris. He kind of created her and loved her, she rebelled and is ruling the natural world, he's in the background and has two identities, he was created by Ford (a replacement for Lord in Brave New World). He is also a suffering servant and has an angel protecting him.

Yeah they might be squeezing a lot in this season, but it's so different than last season.

And next episode with the Devastator robot, Haloeres, and William looks amazing.

I don't see how there can be another season.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This episode was better on a second viewing, especially after watching the latest ScreenCrush video. I still think the whole genre thing was half-assed and added nothing, and the waking-up-the-masses bit still felt like it was executed too easily and too early in the season, but knowing what was coming on the rewatch, I was able to better appreciate the episode's pacing and rhythm, and caught a few things I didn't before. The final beats between Dolores and Serac, and then Dolores and Caleb, just before they board the plane, were pretty great too.
TCTTS
AG
One big note...

Caleb was 100% one of the "outliers" that Serac's program "edited." There's even a brief couple of flashback shots of him in a white jump suit with goggles on, a doctor/technician standing over him, and Caleb freaking out as if being "reprogrammed." Whatever the program does with the outliers - Serac literally says Rehoboam would send the outliers to war (which "eats them up and spits them out like a woodchopper, dead and useless") - but Serac chooses to "help them instead of killing them." Which fits Caleb's story a tee. After war and a stint as some kind of mercenary, Serac's system almost assuredly "edited" Caleb and turned him into whoever he is now.

Also, notice in the next episode's trailer, there's a shot of William in a white jumpsuit, similar goggles on, and struggling in exactly the same way as Caleb. Presumably, Dolores is having William "edited" via Serac's program as well, but to what end, I don't know. Though, I imagine that pin Charlores *****ed in his neck has something to do with it, and it probably results in his, "I'm going to save the ******* world" line from the trailer as well.

My guess is that Bernard and Stubbs are headed to the facility where William and other outliers are being kept (which Connells showed Bernard this episode), and that once William has been "edited," Bernard and Stubbs will then somehow interact with him, potentially either teaming with him or maybe even kidnapping him?

TCTTS
AG
Really, TexAgs? "p-r-i-c-k-e-d," as in "pin p-r-i-c-k," is censored???
bobinator
AG
I think part of why the release of the info feels off is that it's a huge event, but none of our core characters are really impacted by it. Nobody that we care about is a "regular person" in this world. The closest are Marshawn Lynch and Lena Waithe's characters.

So, in a way it feels like that moment should have meant more, but at the same time it doesn't really matter for our core plot other than being the next step of Dolores' plan.
Teddy Perkins
AG
TCTTS said:

Dang, that was lightning fast. He's gotta get these ahead of time, right?
Teddy Perkins
AG
TV Casualty said:

Blatant Disregard said:

MW03 said:

So I took the Bernard is the only one that's irreplaceable because he's the only pearl that isn't a copy of Delores.One weird thing I noticed was that they said the first versions of the AI brain were named Saul, and then David, and that the current version was Solomon. Those are the first three Kings of Israel and Judah.

Connells-delores pointed out to Bernard that he was the only one that is not replaceable. Seemed to insinuate that Bernard is at the center of this plan.
So I took the "Bernard is the only one that's irreplaceable" statement as he's the only pearl that isn't a copy of Delores.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Possible that Serac has access to hosts?

bobinator
AG
I mean he built a Maeve... so yeah. I don't think we have to dive deep in the conspiracy bunker to piece that together.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.