Westworld 3 - 2020

121,971 Views | 1470 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay I might have an answer here. What if Dolores isn't looking for William, but is looking for where Serac is keeping his data. Maybe the 'Rehoboam' we've seen isn't the actual main computer. Didn't they call it a 'node' at one point?

So the tracker isn't tracking William, it's tracking what server and where it is got pinged when they uploaded his blood/dna/whatever.
bobinator
AG
Was there a second body or was that a flashback?
Jim01
AG
I might be alone but this season has been the worst one to me. I just find myself completely uninterested in what's going on. Some things annoying me:

1. The pacing is bad. There just hasn't been enough build to feel investment in things when they unfold. Like the finale scene tonight. I was JUST starting to feel for that Deloris and her feelings for the family and the explosion happened. They didn't build enough.

2. The special effects this season are a bit underwhelming. Like the big red robot and then the car fire this episode, both looked less that perfect. Not to mention Aaron Paul's hair.

3. The dialogue. There have been some downright CORNY ass lines this year. And some lines that make just no sense and feel very out of place.

4. It suffers a bit from Mission Impossible syndrome. Once it was established in MI that people could have flawlessly fake faces, then why would you ever confide in ANYONE without checking them? The same here. You know there are hosts on the lose, so why talk to ANYONE without checking them.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky but I just have failed to connect with this season at all.
bobinator
AG
Only a handful of people know there are hosts on the loose so I'm not sure what specifically #4 is referencing.
amercer
AG
bobinator said:

Okay I might have an answer here. What if Dolores isn't looking for William, but is looking for where Serac is keeping his data. Maybe the 'Rehoboam' we've seen isn't the actual main computer. Didn't they call it a 'node' at one point?

So the tracker isn't tracking William, it's tracking what server and where it is got pinged when they uploaded his blood/dna/whatever.

That makes sense. After all, having Rehoboam siting in an open lobby of your corporate headquarters probably isn't the most secure approach.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Isn't it possible they sent William there as a ruse to find the location of that facility?
bobinator
AG
That's the issue. It seems fairly clear that they already know the location before the tracker thing goes online.
amercer
AG
I still want to know why Maeve said "we home" if her new body wasn't being printed in the park.
bobinator
AG
The timeline of that is also a little confusing to me (I haven't rewatched or listened to any podcasts yet, to be fair) but I just assumed that her consciousness was moved from the servers at Incite to the ones at Delos, thus 'home.'
amercer
AG
And Hectors original pearl couldn't be at Delos HQ by the time that it was crushed. So that was a copy. Does the original still exist?
MW03
AG
bobinator said:

That's the issue. It seems fairly clear that they already know the location before the tracker thing goes online.

Serac has multiple reeducation centers, right? Maybe Dolores knew that, given William's profile, he'd be sent to a specific one that she needed access to and the location of. Or maybe she just needed William after he'd gone through AR therapy so she could use him somehow, so she arranged for him to be taken without knowing which specific one he'd be sent to.

That doesn't really cover how Connells knew, but I guess they did say in the episode that the versions are diverging and each copy doesn't know what the others know automatically. Some maybe Connells came to that information independently and sent Bernard there?

I still don't really know what purpose Bernard serves at all. The only thing I can think of is that Dolores knows she's going to go out in a blaze and is too volatile to lead the new world. So she's going to create it through any means necessary, but she needs Bernard (and really Arnold, the voice that woke her up) to bridge the gap and lead the world after she's done the dirty work of killing everyone. Pretty much being Wyatt and doing Wyatt things.
amercer
AG
Bernard Is a human/host hybrid.

He's the Adam to Delores' God.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I think Bernard's whole purpose is to put the pieces back together after Dolores blows everything up and to lead the way for coexistance between hosts and humans because, like amercer said, he's kind of both.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know this is old news, but have we ever seen Bernard interact with Charlotte?

Every time her ex called her "Charlie", I couldn't help but flash back to those early Bernard scenes with his kid. Nevermind the fact that Charlotte's kid looks almost exactly like that kid, too.

Is it still possible that Charlotte was Arnold's kid, Charlie?
amercer
AG
And then Bernard murdered her? Keeping season 2 timelines straight is really hard, but it certainly seems like Bernard and the real Charlotte interacted.

The kids did look really similar, but it was pretty clear that Arnold's kid died.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, there's something there, but I haven't figured it out yet either. The Charlie thing has to be intentional.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ha, somehow I forgot about their whole storyline together in Season 2. But, that doesn't necessarily kill the theory if Arnold and Bernard don't have the exact same memories.

And hell, it even ties into the theme of killing your own children.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

There may be wholes in this theory but:

Perhaps they didn't know where William would be sent, and its why they sent him there. They could be looking for the re-education center for variants. So they committed him to track him.

Bernard got sent there from the Delores in Incite. Perhaps he was sent to that facility for another purpose and the fact that they are one and the same means something?

IDK

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. It's sloppy writing (Connells just happens to send Bernard to the same place Dolores Prime and Charlotte are looking for), but I guess it tracks.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

I can buy this, and I guess it could fit with the above I just responded to. Again, the coincidence of it all bugs me, but it makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
amercer said:

bobinator said:

That makes sense. After all, having Rehoboam siting in an open lobby of your corporate headquarters probably isn't the most secure approach.

Yeah, that's always seemed odd to me. Good call.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

The timeline of that is also a little confusing to me (I haven't rewatched or listened to any podcasts yet, to be fair) but I just assumed that her consciousness was moved from the servers at Incite to the ones at Delos, thus 'home.'

Bingo. Same with Hector. Both were sent over the cloud, so to speak. A close up of Hector's monitor at Delos confirmed this.
TCTTS
AG
amercer said:

And Hectors original pearl couldn't be at Delos HQ by the time that it was crushed. So that was a copy. Does the original still exist?

Good point. It was definitely a copy.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Isn't it possible they sent William there as a ruse to find the location of that facility?

Yes. It's just weird that Connells (aka Dolores 3) just happened to send Bernard and Stubbs to the exact same facility. Again, that's just bad writing, which is why I'm hoping there's some other play/factor we don't yet know.
TCTTS
AG
MW03 said:

bobinator said:

Serac has multiple reeducation centers, right? Maybe Dolores knew that, given William's profile, he'd be sent to a specific one that she needed access to and the location of. Or maybe she just needed William after he'd gone through AR therapy so she could use him somehow, so she arranged for him to be taken without knowing which specific one he'd be sent to.

That doesn't really cover how Connells knew, but I guess they did say in the episode that the versions are diverging and each copy doesn't know what the others know automatically. Some maybe Connells came to that information independently and sent Bernard there?

This is a good summary of all the above. I don't like it, but it's the only thing that makes sense as of now.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

Was there a second body or was that a flashback?

There's definitely a second reprinted Charlotte body. The first Charlotte body copy was created in the park, by Bernard, and that's the body Dolores used to escape. But then in season three, episode three, there's a flashback to the events before season three, but after most of season two (save for the final scene), where yet another Charlotte body is being reprinted at Arnold's old home. So for some reason, after escaping the park, after Dolores Prime reprinted her original Dolores body, and took her own pearl out of the first Charlotte body copy and placed into her new Dolores body, she then made another Charlotte body copy to place the first of her five copied pearls into, instead of just placing it in the Charlotte body she used to escape. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but that's exactly what they depict happening...

bobinator
AG
So I think I've got this figured out:

- Serrac needs to upload Maeve somewhere so he can give her the 'don't fail again' speech, so he uploads her consciousness to his servers or whatever. He also has the Hector he created and the Sizemore he created in there. So inside the servers at Incite, that whole conversation is going down.

- So think of the pearls as like an external hard drive in this case. They've uploaded the consciousness from Maeve's pearl to the servers at Incite at the moment, but they're moving the actual pearls to Delos. We actually see them connect Maeve's pearl at Delos, and that's when she makes the 'we're home' comment.

- It's after that that she does the "I can see you, and if I can see you there, I can fix you here..." speech with Hector and she restores the Hector that's self-aware. This happens at Delos.

- So, the Hector in the simulation at the beginning is not the actual Hector, it's not until they're at Delos and there's a pearl in there that he's updated or whatever.

Thus, the pearl that Charlores pulls out and crushes is not a copy in the sense that there's a Hector pearl at Incite, the simulation Hector at Incite was not a real Hector, but Maeve makes him a real Hector once they're at Delos.

However, one thing that's probably worth noting here is that there's no reason to think that Delos (and thus, Incite) can't just make pearls at will. It's just that Dolores can't make them because she doesn't have access to the equipment (yet?)
bobinator
AG
Maybe she destroyed the first one the same way she was cutting herself in this one earlier in the season? Perhaps Dolores is having her own fidelity issues.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

So I think I've got this figured out:

- Serrac needs to upload Maeve somewhere so he can give her the 'don't fail again' speech, so he uploads her consciousness to his servers or whatever. He also has the Hector he created and the Sizemore he created in there. So inside the servers at Incite, that whole conversation is going down.

- So think of the pearls as like an external hard drive in this case. They've uploaded the consciousness from Maeve's pearl to the servers at Incite at the moment, but they're moving the actual pearls to Delos. We actually see them connect Maeve's pearl at Delos, and that's when she makes the 'we're home' comment.

- It's after that that she does the "I can see you, and if I can see you there, I can fix you here..." speech with Hector and she restores the Hector that's self-aware. This happens at Delos.

- So, the Hector in the simulation at the beginning is not the actual Hector, it's not until they're at Delos and there's a pearl in there that he's updated or whatever.

Thus, the pearl that Charlores pulls out and crushes is not a copy in the sense that there's a Hector pearl at Incite, the simulation Hector at Incite was not a real Hector, but Maeve makes him a real Hector once they're at Delos.

However, one thing that's probably worth noting here is that there's no reason to think that Delos (and thus, Incite) can't just make pearls at will. It's just that Dolores can't make them because she doesn't have access to the equipment (yet?)

I got something wrong a few minutes ago. Yes, Maeve's pearl is physically moved from Incite to Delos in the way you describe, but Hector's was not. Maeve is already in the Warworld simulation when Serac has his minions take Hector's pearl out of his body in the Westworld freezer. Then, once Serac takes over Delos, Maeve's pearl is physically hooked up at Delos' (when she notices the change at the bar), and then, shortly after, the code from Hector's pearl is 100% transmitted from Westworld to Delos, and that's when Hector shows up at the bar. I can take the screenshot if you want, but there's a shot of Hector's monitor at Delos saying something like "receiving transmission data." So, presumably, the original Hector pearl, with the original Hector data, is still at Westworld, in the possession of Serac's minions. We might be saying the same thing, I can't quite tell, but I'm almost certain I've got that part right.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

Maybe she destroyed the first one the same way she was cutting herself in this one earlier in the season? Perhaps Dolores is having her own fidelity issues.

Yeah, I could see that. Makes sense.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I think we're saying basically the same thing but I didn't have the part about Hector but that makes sense because they showed them finding his body.

I guess the way this has to work is you can upload a consciousness from a pearl and print it to another one, but once it's there, if that pearl is destroyed, it's lost forever?

veryfuller
Staff
AG
This is assuming that it was a copy and not a transfer. They may have transferred his data and then the pearl at the park is empty, like moving files from one folder to another.

I think he is dead dead.
TCTTS
AG
I honestly don't know. But I don't see why the code would have to leave the original pearl. In other words, maybe Maeve thinking that Hector is gone forever is simply a red herring.
TCTTS
AG
You're probably right.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I agree he's dead dead, so I'm trying to make that make sense.

It doesn't make sense that you wouldn't keep a copy backed up on the cloud.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Well they are destroying everything else, all the other hosts. So he was only living because they transferred him to help Maeve, otherwise he was going to be destroyed with the rest. So it may just be a copy, but they aren't holding on to any of the hosts in the park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.