Westworld 3 - 2020

124,320 Views | 1470 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TCTTS
Breggy Popup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also if you want to watch a replay of the ASX post show livestream here is the link. Pretty fun listening to him pick it apart real time...

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I liked that too.
MBAR
AG
Also the death of Delores was the most poorly done death of any important character of a show I think I've ever seen. I honestly had no idea she was even dead at first. I know that it's insanely unlikely that she's dead for good, but if you're going to make that your emotional punch at the end of a season, put in at least a LITTLE effort here.
Breggy Popup
AG
MBAR said:

Also the death of Delores was the most poorly done death of any important character of a show I think I've ever seen. I honestly had no idea she was even dead at first. I know that it's insanely unlikely that she's dead for good, but if you're going to make that your emotional punch at the end of a season, put in at least a LITTLE effort here.
The 10-20 seconds of ERW screaming out in pain during the power surge and her upload to Rohoboam wasn't emotional? I disagree.

Of course, she ain't dead dead by a long shot. No way. I'll bet $100 on it.
TCTTS
AG
Man, he's ripping it apart right from the get go, and deservedly so. Not angrily or anything,, but he's raising all the same issues we have in this thread, plus a few more.
MBAR
AG
Bregxit said:

MBAR said:

The 10-20 seconds of ERW screaming out in pain during the power surge and her upload to Rohoboam wasn't emotional? I disagree.

I mean I thought she was screaming because she was in pain or putting in effort but why would I expect her to die there? Its not until minutes later that Maeve says something about her being erased that I was like WAT. At no point did I think Delores was in danger so the screaming wasn't emotional for me at all.
Sex Panther
AG
The only thing I can say about this show at this point is... I like the music
Breggy Popup
AG
TCTTS said:

Man, he's ripping it apart right from the get go, and deservedly so. Not angrily or anything,, but he's raising all the same issues we have in this thread, plus a few more.
I am about 50 minutes in...there are several things he is pointing out that during the episode I was feeling but not articulating and now I am like....OHHHHHHHHH I GET IT.

There was some underlying stuff that I didn't comprehend right away but "felt" was weird. Like a glitch in the matrix...since you are watching I am not going to point it out...curious if you catch it when he talks about it.
TCTTS
AG
I'm in agreement with most of your points, but I did think her dying was pretty obvious. Serac mentioned erasing her memories multiple times, they show them being erased, and then he straight up ordered her death. Between all of that, and the scene in the simulation with Maeve, it all felt pretty "final"/she's-dying to me. That said, I agree that it wasn't very emotional, and she'll 100% be back in some form or fashion.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

The only thing I can say about this show at this point is... I like the music
The official soundtrack is usually released the day after the finale, so we at least have that to look forward to.
Breggy Popup
AG
MBAR said:

Bregxit said:

MBAR said:

I mean I thought she was screaming because she was in pain or putting in effort but why would I expect her to die there? Its not until minutes later that Maeve says something about her being erased that I was like WAT. At no point did I think Delores was in danger so the screaming wasn't emotional for me at all.
When the cables lit up white it took me back to Tron when he cleaned up the MCP's mess and the circuits turned from red to blue (white in Legacy)...the connections to her turned bright white and I was like "Oh ****, she is "infecting" the AI"...then Caleb told it to erase itself...question is, does Dolores get to utilize Rohoboam's hardware? No idea.
Breggy Popup
AG
BTW if I am going off on tangents this is why...

TCTTS
AG
Breggy Popup
AG
Hahaha if you are watching...69-70 minutes in is pretty funny.
Breggy Popup
AG
Quote:

Can Delores run Crysis?
If you're a nerd you appreciate this.
TCTTS
AG

https://open.spotify.com/album/4h8YNfTlnKKwqImHRZwhBg
https://music.apple.com/us/album/westworld-season-3-music-from-the-hbo-series/1511001397
merc
AG
I woke up this morning just thinking about how far from what made me really enjoy the first two seasons of Westworld this one felt. I couldn't shake some kind of Caleb is John Conor/Terminator vibe, especially in the last couple episodes. I'm guessing I'll have at least two years to sit on it and hold out hope for more of the magic of the first seasons and less of the generic scifi action flick for season 4. Perhaps way more people enjoy this kind of show though. Oh well.
amercer
AG
Also, WTF with the Caleb/Delores backstory. Is there any reason she couldn't have told him before?

Maybe in that missing scene where the writers let the audience know that 1) Caleb knows what a host is and 2) he's been to freaking Westworld. Leaving that for a last minute reveal robs their interactions of a ton of meaning.

Caleb: "so um, you're a robot?"

Delores: "yep. We met in Westworld before. You decided not to rape me, so I chose you to save humanity"

Caleb: "oh cool, I guess we are the good guys"
TV Casualty
AG
To add what people were saying about Delores' plan.

Bernard mentioned that Rehoboam had never actually solved the issue of society's collapse. Serac and Rehoboam had only delayed it.

So Delores decided if the collapse is inevitable with the system then lets go ahead and shut it down and let humanity decide it's own fate.
oragator
Yeah, if you think back to the season, it was everyone else saying that Delores wanted to destroyed humanity. She always talked about free will or tearing things down.
Tonyperkis
AG
TCTTS said:

The most frustrating thing for me is that the first half of this season was up there with the best the show has ever been. Or, rather the final two or three episodes of season two, through the first half of this season, were peak Westworld, IMO. I still think the season two finale is one of the best season finales I've seen, and provided such an incredibly poignant setup for season three (Radiohead playing while Dolores talks to Bernard about "choice" in that final scene was maybe my favorite moment of the entire series). Then the first episode of this season was a knock out, and so incredibly cool, with Dolores emerging from Jerry's pool to wreak havoc, Caleb's whole story, the introduction of the real world, etc. Then episode three of this season, which focused primarily on Charlores, was maybe my favorite all around episode of the entire series. It was so well done, so hauntingly beautiful, and ended with another of my favorite music queues (Moses Sumney's "Doomed"). And then it all culminated at the end of the incredible fourth episode, with the brilliant, Dolores-is-all-the-hosts reveal, and I could not have been more on board.

It was when that whole genre drug thing happened in the fifth episode that things started to feel a bit lazy to me, and it just went downhill from there. Yes, episode six was damn good, but five, seven, and eight just really missed the mark for me, in multiple ways, to the point where it felt like the creators had all the time in the world to write the first four episodes, and poured so much into them, but then all the sudden found themselves with like two weeks left to knock out the final four. The second half of the season just felt so rushed, and I'm at a loss as to how how such a promising start could result in such a limp ending.
This comment captures my thoughts perfectly on this season. I think of the season as follows:

Season 1 - Exceptional - no complaints

Season 2 - On the first viewing, I thought the story was too disjointed. There were a couple of bad points/wasted episodes (Dolores forge attack, Akane no Mai - kind of blah for me). However, on second viewing it was so much better. Seriously, I definitely recommend Westworld fans to go back and watch Season 2 (Season 1 is incredibly re-watchable as well w/ Hopkins constantly crushing it). The music makes it so easy to re-watch.

Season 3 - Expanding on the above, I'm still hopeful for season 4 because of the highs that season 3 hit. I also think the season ended in a place that allows for new excitement. They didn't ruin any storylines so the writing can fully recover. Season 3 is really a "What could have been" season. Personally, after the first 4 episodes of season 3, I was getting ready to argue this show could be my all-time favorite. I'm still pumped about hitting the Westworld Spotify today.
bobinator
AG
Man, y'all liked this a lot less than me. My initial response was that I really liked the episode, even if there were some parts I didn't particularly care for.
CoachRTM
AG
I liked it too.

There were some things I'm sure most of you understood that I missed though.

Charredlores -
Didn't really follow her descent to being the bad guy.
How did she "appear" to Delores. I saw her eyes flashing, but how did Charredlores seem to control Delores' actions?

Bernard -
How is his wife not dead yet on timing? I figured more time had passed since Arnold -> Bernard to now.
Didn't get the sublime thing or why he went there.

Caleb -
Worst revolution leader ever?
Seemed way too easy to get to Incite, but maybe that was what Serac wanted.
The revolution was to shut down the AI, right? So the revolution is over. Now what?

Rehobo/ Solomon
Are we done with them now? I was looking forward to a full season of the back and forth AI vs AI. I guess that's not going to happen anymore.

Overall I liked it - the action was a little lackluster, but that's not really why I watch the show. Tons of questions left open going forward - I'm going to be so incredibly lost two years from now when Season 4 launches.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'll admit that I watched it very tired, but did the Man in Black show back up after drinking his $20k whiskey and saying he's going to save the world? Didn't seem like it.

Westworld isn't a passive watch show. You have to really focus and pay attention. Because of that, I expect a higher level of quality.

S1: Simply excellent
S2: Disjointed, but at its best, which it often was, really good.
S3: Meh.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
There's a scene after the credits with the MiB
Ol Jock 99
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

There's a scene after the credits with the MiB
And that's where the tired kicked in. Thanks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know, it makes it that much worse to put such an important character's pivotal scene in the freaking post-credits.

Again.
bobinator
AG
The MIB scene being after the credits was really annoying. Basically admitting that his whole arc was kind of a sideshow this season.
bobinator
AG
CoachRTM said:

How did she "appear" to Delores. I saw her eyes flashing, but how did Charredlores seem to control Delores' actions?
Charlores knew the plan, and since she was in control at Delos, she had some kind of controls put into Dolores' backup body.
TV Casualty
AG
bobinator said:

The MIB scene being after the credits was really annoying. Basically admitting that his whole arc was kind of a sideshow this season.

Yeah, it felt like a horror movie last scene where you think it's all over, but the monster comes out for one last scare.
dmart90
AG
I really enjoyed this season. Season 1 was awesome (with some slow spots) but season 2 was so hard to follow. This season had a very different vibe to it, but I really enjoyed it. And the use of Dark Side of the Moon at the "end" was excellent.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Teddy Perkins
AG
oragator
Yeah the season felt off as I have mentioned, but some of the nit picks feel a bit Star Wars fan ish.

It's still better than most everything on TV.
TV Casualty
AG
This finale seemed to make much of the season pointless. If just shutting Rehoboam down was all they had to do then it seems like Connells could have accomplished that task in episode 2.

Serac never had any safeguards on rehoboam so it would have been easy.
Breggy Popup
AG
TV Casualty said:

This finale seemed to make much of the season pointless. If just shutting Rehoboam down was all they had to do then it seems like Connells could have accomplished that task in episode 2.

Serac never had any safeguards on rehoboam so it would have been easy.

Serac's safeguard was that he was the only person on the planet who had admin access to Rehoboam.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.