Westworld 3 - 2020

124,351 Views | 1470 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Fenrir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

We probably would have heard by now if this is it. My guess is they do at least one more season after this one. That said, two things:

1) Lisa Joy Nolan (co-creator, husband of Jonathan Nolan) is simultaneously in post-production on a big sci-fi movie - Reminiscence - which isn't coming out until later this year, so I imagine she'll need that completely off her plate before they even start thinking about a fourth season.

2) Jonathan and Lisa signed a massive overall deal with Amazon earlier this year, and I imagine they're going to have to be servicing that more and more, which is another reason a fourth season of Westworld will likely be it, and another reason it could be delayed past 2022.

That said, these two are insanely prolific, so who knows. Maybe they can still have a fourth season ready for 2022, despite all of these other commitments.

(As for the 2022 date, I'm going off each season having been released two years apart so far.)
I need to know more about both of these.

Also AltShiftX is the best video breakdown content available. They put so much work and effort into each video with research.
TCTTS
AG
Here's the script for Reminiscence...

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/fc34d84594be1a4b70545eb0cc354a5f20200220211026/2aa3e5

I haven't read it yet, but it's a 2013 draft that Joy also wrote, though I imagine she's tweaked it a bit since then. Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson, and Thandie Newton star. Joy goes into great detail about the plot here...

https://deadline.com/2019/01/hugh-jackman-rebecca-ferguson-reminiscence-lisa-joy-jonathan-nolan-michael-deluca-aaron-ryder-berlin-film-market-1202545314/

As for their Amazon deal, this is everything we know...

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jonathan-nolan-lisa-joy-amazon-overall-deal-1203181858/
Belton Ag
AG
This is going to be nuts. I wonder if it was the plan all along to expand this thing like it is. The movie and concept developed by Michael Crichton didn't have anything like this.
TCTTS
AG
They've said from the beginning that they had a multi-season arc planned, and everything feels so meticulous that I'm sure this was part of that plan. They might be too smart for their own good (with the overly complicated plots), but they're smart enough to know that the narrative couldn't stay contained to *just* the park for very long. Especially when the primary themes hinge on freedom and escape.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

They've said from the beginning that they had a multi-season arc planned, and everything feels so meticulous that I'm sure this was part of that plan. They might be too smart for their own good (with the overly complicated plots), but they're smart enough to know that the narrative couldn't stay contained to *just* the park for very long. Especially when the primary themes hinge on freedom and escape.
The whole idea of "lets do a story about robot Armageddon in 4 seasons, but let's spend the first 2 doing a deep dive into the background of a handful of these characters" is crazy to me. Don't get me wrong, I really dig everything so far, but as you allude to, it really has the opportunity to go off the rails.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just want to take this opportunity (I'll take it wherever I can get one) to recommend Dark to everyone. It is the most superbly written, meticulously planned out tv series I've ever seen. Ever.

If you enjoy this show, give it a watch. (On Netflix.) Planned to be three seasons from the get-go, and the final season drops this June.

It's somehow even more complex than this show. You will not regret it.
Fenrir
On my list...the wife doesn't like watching things with subtitles though so gotta find my own time to binge it.
TCTTS
AG
Why is that crazy to you? That seems like the exact approach you'd want to take. You have to get to know these characters if you're going to care about their plight. Whether the filmmakers have succeeded in getting you to care is one thing, but I don't think there's any other way to go than a deep dive. What's the alternative?
TCTTS
AG
I'll be honest... I gave the pilot a go a few months back and could not get into it. I usually love stuff like Dark, but I thought it was pretty boring and kind of even cliched overall. I'm sure I'd be more into it if I watched a bit more, but what I saw didn't entice me in the least.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Why is that crazy to you? That seems like the exact approach you'd want to take. You have to get to know these characters if you're going to care about their plight. Whether the filmmakers have succeeded in getting you to care is one thing, but I don't think there's any other way to go than a deep dive. What's the alternative?
I don't know, I guess it's the expansion of the scope of the show and switching gears away from what was a relatively small and contained set for 2 full seasons to the open world. It's just not something I'm used to seeing I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Give it another go. Can pretty much guarantee you'll be hooked by episode 3.

The first episode isn't the greatest indicator of what the show is overall. In fact it almost seemed like a German Stranger Things ripoff based on just that episode.

And if it helps my credibility, Season 2 was the highest rated tv show of 2019, with a perfect 100% on RT and a 97% audience score.
GreasenUSA
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I just want to take this opportunity (I'll take it wherever I can get one) to recommend Dark to everyone. It is the most superbly written, meticulously planned out tv series I've ever seen. Ever.

If you enjoy this show, give it a watch. (On Netflix.) Planned to be three seasons from the get-go, and the final season drops this June.

It's somehow even more complex than this show. You will not regret it.
I love Dark. Anxiously waiting for the final season to see if they stick the landing.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I get that. It's the "not something I'm used to seeing" part that excites me, though. The park was getting stale, and what we saw of the other worlds was basically more of the same, IMO. To me the most drama to be milked now comes from Delores entering the real world, which seems endlessly captivating. It's like a whole new video game level or something.

This is a random comparison, but I remember when Mad Men basically blew up the show at the end of season three. They moved on from the old office/set (which we had come to know well), fired some key characters, and came back with a whole new office/vibe for season four. As it was happening, I remember being in shock that they were going that route, but it ended up working so incredibly well, to the point where the move not only injected so much more life, but by the time the series ended, the old office/set felt like a completely different show. I have a feeling that's what this is going to be like somewhat. Granted, we'll obviously still be in the park a bit this season with Maeve, but when all is said and done, at the end of the series, the first two seasons may very have that, "Oh yeah, remember when the show used to be set in the park?" vibe, with everything after it even better (and less confusing/more straightforward).
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Yeah, I get that. It's the "not something I'm used to seeing" part that excites me, though. The park was getting stale, and what we saw of the other worlds was basically more of the same, IMO. To me the most drama to be milked now comes from Delores entering the real world, which seems endlessly captivating to me. It's like a whole new video game level or something.
I'm excited about that, too. I mean crazy in a good way, by the way...

TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
That was a super hype trailer. I find it hilarious Marshawn Lynch and Kid Cudi are in this
Sex Panther
AG
Not to derail this into a Dark thread, but I have to completely agree with Spilner... Dark is absolutely incredible. All my buddies are obsessed with it when it releases. I'm legit shocked HBO or something comparable hasn't picked it up for an American version yet. That show will make your head explode.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

but I remember when Mad Men basically blew up the show at the end of season three. They moved on from the old office/set (which we had come to know well), fired some key characters, and came back with a whole new office/vibe for season four. As it was happening, I remember being in shock that they were going that route, but it ended up working so incredibly well, to the point where the move not only injected so much more life
That was the moment I was totally into the show, not just enjoying the aesthetics and ladies.

New trailer has me more optimistic that WW can take now-known characters and storylines and take them somewhere new in a linear progression.
Al Bula
AG
That trailer looks NUTS. Maybe Maeve will be an interesting character instead of a vengeance cliche that hunts for a robot daughter no one cared about.

I want more robot James Delos but guessing that won't happen.

Hoping Jesse Pinkman is a character with some depth instead of being led around by the pubes by Delores.

TCTTS
AG
I think I've watched the trailer at least 10 times today, and I get chills every single time the opening riff of the Sweet Child O' Mine cover kicks in.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I think I've watched the trailer at least 10 times today, and I get chills every single time the opening riff of the Sweet Child O' Mine cover kicks in.
I think Step Brothers ruined covers of that song for me, haha. As much as I felt Season 2 didnt live up to Season 1, Im still very excited for season 3.
TomHagensWife
Doesn't look like anything to me.

Just kidding, this looks awesome!

Also, I would love to get TCTTS' opinion on Dark when he gets through season one. It's truly a great show and I enjoy rewatching it and seeing what I missed the first time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me, the cover of Heart-Shaped Box is still the masterpiece of this series so far.

hunter2012
AG
"Paint it Black" was my favorite given how awesome that scene was.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For me, the cover of Heart-Shaped Box is still the masterpiece of this series so far.
Yeah, from the trailer that had HSB, to the scene with it (Aketcheta waking up in the compound), this one was nails. Paint it Black was really good too though, and got me really hyped after that episode especially since it was the first time i can remember there being an orchestral cover. House of the Rising Sun was a great cover as well.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

I would have gone with Coma
PDWT_12
AG
As is always the case, you never know what kind of weird hidden things you might find with this show.

Hidden trailer someone on Reddit found.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good find!

tk for tu juan
666 views when I watched it
tk for tu juan
One of my favorite Westworld covers:

The most entertaining cover:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tk for tu juan said:

666 views when I watched it
On the heart-shaped box cover: 3,386,666 views
cr0wbar
AG
Season 3 is gonna be a doozy. But I definitely lol'd at piano Sweet Child of Mine
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I felt like it took a few episodes to hook me but man, it's probably my favorite show.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
The first couple seasons arent without their faults, but i do think some people are holding it to a higher standard which may be why they have dislike for it. that being said, i am stoked for the next season. looks awesome.
claym711
AG
Cant wait. WW easily the best series currently running.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.