*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

206,334 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like Marvel Movies you need to evaluate a year or so after they came out. EVERY SINGLE ONE I love when I first see them, but then when I revisit them a year or so later I feel differently. Sometimes I like it more, sometimes left, but the my initial impressiions don't seem to stick.

I never come back and think they're bad tho. Or at least I haven't yet.
fig96
AG
StringerBell said:

watched spiderman homecoming

another stupid fun movie

need to see winter solider now

would have made wayyyy more sense for me to see these in order but oh well.
Just saying, you REALLY need to see Winter Soldier. Top of the list for myself and several others around here.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I really enjoyed Dr. Strange. It's the only MCU movie I've seen twice so far.
redline248
AG
I think Dr Strange suffered a little from having to do origin.
Brick Tamland
I get that. I usually like them a little less (I think that's true with most movies I watch), but Homecoming gets better every time I watch it.
Sex Panther
AG
I liked Homecoming when I initially saw it, but I really liked it on my rewatch.

Mainly because of Tom Holland. Andrew Garfield wasn't bad, but Holland just blows him and Tobey Maguire out of the water. That kid is so good. The fact that he just thinks and says, "that's awesome!" about everything is so great. He's exactly how a kid with super powers would be.
jeffk
AG
His interactions with Aunt Mae are just perfect... but casting Marisa Tomei was just brilliant too.
TexasAggie_02
AG
fig96
AG
Yup, they finally nailed "here's a geeky kid who just acquired superpowers." And getting Peter right is really the trick, we've been able to do cool Spidey effects for a while now (although I did like the feel of those better in the Amazing films than the original trilogy).

Holland has that real innocence that Garfield and Maguire were just too old for, and while Jon Watts was an odd choice to direct he was spot on with the John Hughes teen romcom feel in just the right spots.
double aught
AG
Makes me appreciate more that Sony and Marvel were able to work out a deal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disagree on Tobey, I think he was just as good as Holland is. Especially in 2. That was a great movie that's pretty underrated these days.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think Holland is the best Spider-Man, but the best two Spider-Man movies are the first two Tobey Maguire ones.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I love Holland in the role, but I also have no problem with Macguire's portrayal. And that second movie versus Doc Oc is still a very, very good Spiderman movie.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Disagree on Tobey, I think he was just as good as Holland is. Especially in 2. That was a great movie that's pretty underrated these days.
i thought Tobey was a pretty great Peter, but only so-so as Spidey.

I thought Garfield was a better Spidey, but just a horrible Peter.

Holland, so far at least, is pitch perfect at both roles.

Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not even close.

I went back and watched those not too long ago and they don't hold up or compare to the new Spider-Man.
AgMarauder04
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is my exact feeling
AliasMan02
AG
Best about Garfield was that he and Emma had such great chemistry. Holland hasn't had to try that yet, but I have faith.
fig96
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I never bought Tobey as the wisecracking smart kid, he was just awkward. Holland is far better and a lot more natural in the Peter role, and he's actually got the athletic ability to play Spidey.

Spoiler alert: chatted with a friend of mine who was an animator on the film a few months back and asked how much of Holland's stunt work made it into the movie. He said he actually did some cool stuff that they filmed, but every time Spidey has the mask on he's digital.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not even close.

I went back and watched those not too long ago and they don't hold up or compare to the new Spider-Man.
Peter has a better arc in those first two movies. He's also much more fleshed out as a character because we're seeing the full origin story as well. (Not saying it was needed in the MCU.)

MCU Peter has had it pretty easy in comparison due to having Tony Stark's guidance / tech.

Not saying Holland is not great, but Maguire had much more to work with in those movies. Holland is more charismatic both as an actor and as the character, but that doesn't make Homecoming a better movie. IMO.
Farmer1906
AG
I feel like the MCU have upped the game so much for superhero movies that the original X-Men, Spider-Man, Blade movies just don't match up. I loved those then, but its because we didn't have the MCU, the Nolan Batmans, and Deadpool.
rhutton125
AG
Spider-Man 2 has some really forced / lame plot devices that always made it a clear notch below SM1, IMO. 18 year old Harry as a CEO. Peter as a F-up who can't hold a pizza delivery job. Harry hates Spider-Man. Peter lost his web powers. Etc. All kind of annoying plot devices to keep Mary Jane and Peter apart and miserable.

Spider-Man 1 is legit though. I thought it held up well.

Homecoming is my favorite of the bunch but we wouldn't have any of these without Spider-Man 1.
StringerBell
AG
Finished winter soldier. Another really really fun good movie

Should have watched them in order
redline248
AG
StringerBell said:

Average Joe
AG
StringerBell said:

There are only a few I won't watch multiple times:

Thor 2, Iron man 2, the second Thor movie, the second Iron man movie, Thor Dark World, and the Iron man movie with Mickey Rourke.
OasisMan
AG
loved IW

still need to watch dr strange and black panther and GotG2
redline248
AG
I laughed. Well done
jeffk
AG
Only thing missing from Homecoming was a banging Dashboard Confessional song.
Ganondorf
AG
What I would have liked for Dr. Strange we to skip the origin part and just give us a magic movie. The best part about Spider-Man Homecoming is that he's already Spider-Man, just getting the upgrades to become a better Spider-Man.

We could have skipped to Dr. Strange being a wizard and he's fighting some crazy demon or dealing with magic brain parasites like in the comics.
Hulla Baller
AG
Ganondorf said:

What I would have liked for Dr. Strange we to skip the origin part and just give us a magic movie. The best part about Spider-Man Homecoming is that he's already Spider-Man, just getting the upgrades to become a better Spider-Man.

We could have skipped to Dr. Strange being a wizard and he's fighting some crazy demon or dealing with magic brain parasites like in the comics.
I don't think you can compare the two movies. The Spider-Man origin story has been told over and over in multiple movies so they could get away with not doing it again. Also, Spider-Man is already more popular and widely known to people. I think you had to an origin story for Dr. Strange or most people (including myself who doesn't read the comics) would have no idea what is going on and would be upset they didn't find out how he became a wizard.
bangobango
AG
Probably already posted/predicted (I have not read whole thread) , but my prediction for end of next movie will be somebody using time stone to travel back to end of this first movie where Thor is about to smash the axe into Thanos's chest except this time Thor smashes the axe into his head, like Thanos told him he should have done. Then everybody that died after that moment comes back to life.

I think they leave Gamora dead, as Guardians will be better with Starlord being single.

This is my own theory, I don't read spoilers or reddit or anything else. If this is a common theory, then I apologize, I'm not trying to steal somebody's theory and use it as my own. Seems pretty obvious to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if others have posted it already.
OnlyForNow
AG
How are they gonna get the time stone out of the gauntlet? And no one but strange knows how to use it...

But it's not a bad theory.
bangobango
AG
OnlyForNow said:

How are they gonna get the time stone out of the gauntlet? And no one but strange knows how to use it...

But it's not a bad theory.

No clue.
Ganondorf
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Ganondorf said:

I don't think you can compare the two movies. The Spider-Man origin story has been told over and over in multiple movies so they could get away with not doing it again. Also, Spider-Man is already more popular and widely known to people. I think you had to an origin story for Dr. Strange or most people (including myself who doesn't read the comics) would have no idea what is going on and would be upset they didn't find out how he became a wizard.

Agree and disagree. Did anyone question Dumbledore or Gandolf were wizards? Obi-Wan was a space wizard with no backstory.

I have origin story fatigue. I'm tired of seeing the same origins over and over. Future hero has to overcome some enemy while not knowing how to use their powers. Then you have to wait years to see them do anything not origin related.
Bruce Almighty
AG
bangobango said:

Probably already posted/predicted (I have not read whole thread) , but my prediction for end of next movie will be somebody using time stone to travel back to end of this first movie where Thor is about to smash the axe into Thanos's chest except this time Thor smashes the axe into his head, like Thanos told him he should have done. Then everybody that died after that moment comes back to life.

I think they leave Gamora dead, as Guardians will be better with Starlord being single.

This is my own theory, I don't read spoilers or reddit or anything else. If this is a common theory, then I apologize, I'm not trying to steal somebody's theory and use it as my own. Seems pretty obvious to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if others have posted it already.

I would hate that ending
CapCityAg89
AG
So I'm a big Spiderman fan - he's easily my favorite superhero just BECAUSE of the joy and wise-cracking Holland is so fantastic at. That's part of the reason I am so pissed at the ****ing Stark Spider Suit. It took what was easily the best Spiderman movie in Homecoming and made it average. Peter - check. Aunt Mae - check. Villian - check. Spiderman - HUGE check. Suit - ****ing stupid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.