*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

216,630 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Dad-O-Lot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw it last night.

Ending seemed pointless

disappointed.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
dcaggie04
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Saw it last night.

Ending seemed pointless

disappointed.

If you thought the ending was pointless, then I dont think you paid attention to the movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Saw it last night.

Ending seemed pointless

disappointed.

Well, if you haven't heard, there's a "Part 2" coming in about a year. So this wasn't the ending so much as it was the middle. You know, the part of a story where the crap hits the fan and it looks like the hero is going to lose and blah, blah, blah.
The Collective
AG
I wasn't crazy about the movie.
Pro Ag
AG
Saw it a second time so the wife could see it. I was surprised how well it held my attention a second time given it is over 2 hours. It is a well put together movie.
TCTTS
AG
miller0926
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_films

I know it's just wikipedia and there's alot more factors out there for lists like these, but Infinity War is already #15 for highest grossing films of all time. That's insane.
YellAgs
AG
The passion of the Christ was pretty quiet afterward
02skiag
AG
Saw it in IMAX 3D last night. It exceeded expectation by far. You had to assume it would end similarly as it did, especially with a part 2.
Bobcat06
AG
I really like how they handled the theme of willpower and sacrifice

Thanos is willing to sacrifice his daughter for the Soul Stone
Thor is willing to sacrifice himself for the Stormbreaker

Star Lord is not willing to sacrifice Gamora to stop Thanos
Dr Strange is not willing to sacrifice the Time Stone
Captain America is not willing to sacrifice Vision (No person should die to save millions quote)
Scarlet Witch is not willing to sacrifice Vision until it's too late
Hulk is not willing to sacrifice another defeat
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

But he was. Did you not see him pull the trigger?
Bobcat06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Not until it was way too late and Thanos was taunting him. Thanos could have easily escaped by the time he finally pulled the trigger. If he was actually willing, he had a chance to do it before it was too late.
mpl35
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Not until it was way too late and Thanos was taunting him. Thanos could have easily escaped by the time he finally pulled the trigger. If he was actually willing, he had a chance to do it before it was too late.
He pulled the trigger. He was willing. Slow to the decision, sure. But he did it. So it is just wrong to claim he wasn't willing to....
M.C. Swag
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Captain America is not willing to sacrifice Vision (No person should die to save millions quote)
did we watch the same movie? and this is some terrible thematic analysis. A for effort tho.
redline248
AG
So, a week late to the party, and finally caught up on the thread. Won't rehash much, just offer some of my own thoughts on some of the discussions.

1. Even though I know the sequels are planned, it didn't stop me from feeling the impact of loss in this movie. I will let Spider-man 2 figure out (and tell me) what kind of conflict Peter will have later. Right now, he's dead and it hit hard.

2. Zero chance Cap and Nat are "together."

Other random thougthts:

Thanos can teleport anywhere in the universe, so why not teleport to the top of the mountain on the soul stone planet?

Did anyone else laugh at the moment on the Wakanda battlefield between Nat/Okeye and Proxima? All the chaos of a battle and they find a neat little corner to have an all badass girl fight? That was definitely a Hollywood moment, imo.

Regarding the gauntlet, does it matter in which slots each stone goes, or just randomly put them on in the order acquired? Did the soul stone have to be in the bigger, center slot?
Bobcat06
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Bobcat06 said:

did we watch the same movie? and this is some terrible thematic analysis. A for effort tho.
I watched a film where multiple characters were forced into scenarios to sacrifice what they value most (loved ones, duty, etc) in order to save others and how their different choices impact the story. The symbolism is so thick that the directors frame a pivotal scene (Thanos getting the Soul Stone) as to mirror the archetypal sacrificial story (Abraham sacrificing Isaac).

You may disagree with my conclusions, but it's undeniable that sacrifice is the center theme of this film - unless you only watched a film with a bunch of cool explosions. Tell me, do you think War & Peace is a simple adventure story?
Bobcat06
AG
Bo said:

By the way, I wrote this thinking about early in the film when Stark tells Dr Stange to "throw the Time Stone down the garbage disposal" and Strange refuses because of his loyalty oath

Obviously, later Strange changes his mind after going into the future and sacrifices the Time Stone to save Stark.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think the issue here is that a lot of your conclusions were incorrect.

Starlord is willing to sacrifice Gamora.
Dr. Strange DOES sacrifice the Time Stone.
Scarlet Witch DOES sacrifice Vision. (The fact that it was undone doesn't undo her decision.)
Bobcat06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think the issue here is that a lot of your conclusions were incorrect.

Starlord is willing to sacrifice Gamora.
Dr. Strange DOES sacrifice the Time Stone.
Scarlet Witch DOES sacrifice Vision. (The fact that it was undone doesn't undo her decision.)
That makes sense, but I respectfully disagree.

All of those had opportunities to make sacrifices earlier in the film (see my post immediately above about Strange), but instead waited until their hands were forced. I don't consider making a choice under duress the same as making it willfully.

However, if you disagree, I understand.
Fenrir
Strange was only willing to sacrifice the stone when he came to the knowledge that it was the only way to win.
mpl35
AG
Quote:

I'd argue these two were under duress as well. Thanos has sought the destruction of 1/2 the galaxy for years. The only way to achieve it is to kill his daughter. He does it only when forced.

Thor knows he has to have a weapon capable of killing Thanos or the galaxy loses. He only risks himself (don't think this even qualifies since his sacrifice was only a risk and not a done deal like the rest) when the mechanism fails....also known as being forced to.

You are highly selective in what you call "willing" imo.
M.C. Swag
AG
Nah I just think you're trying way too hard to seem smart and basically conflating character motivations and actions as something "philosophical". This is a comic movie. One where a brainwashed WW2 vet with a metal arm picks up a space rabbit and twirls himself and the rabbit around shooting alien invaders in an African Atlantis.

Besides your weird analysis, it's also hilariously wrong with what actually happened.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Nah I just think you're trying way too hard to seem smart and basically conflating character motivations and actions as something "philosophical". This is a comic movie. One where a brainwashed WW2 vet with a metal arm picks up a space rabbit and twirls himself and the rabbit around shooting alien invaders in an African Atlantis.

Besides your weird analysis, it's all hilariously wrong with what actually happened.
Well when you say it like that it just sounds weird.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fenrir said:

Strange was only willing to sacrifice the stone when he came to the knowledge that it was the only way to win.

Obviously. He still did it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fenrir said:

Of COURSE people are going to try everything they possibly can before sacrificing something or someone they love. That doesn't change the fact they are willing to do it.
FTACO97
AG
Seems some folks don't understand the difference between not willing to do something and being forced to do it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's almost like sacrificing is hard.
Fenrir
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fenrir said:

I think that one instance is in a different category than the others simply due to his knowledge of basically all possible outcomes. It's more of a redefining of what protecting the stone/universe actually was.

For the most part all the instances listed are examples of what lengths each would go to when options are limited and everything they care for is on the brink of being erased. Strange's choice seems easier to me.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
oh, that hurts.
AliasMan02
AG
Yeah, that is rough. Seriously, my heart hurts imagining that line in context. Worse than Peter's.
TCTTS
AG
Wait, who did Groot say that to? I don't remember?
LeonardSkinner
TCTTS said:

Wait, who did Groot say that to? I don't remember?
Rocket
TCTTS
AG
Thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.