*** Avengers: Infinity War --- SPOILERS ALLOWED in here ***

216,642 Views | 1691 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Brick Tamland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I still can't get over how badass Thor's entrance was

I think this movie made me a huge Thor fan. I started liking him during Ragnarok, but Infinity War put me over the top.

And this was hilarious:

"This is my friend, a tree"
"I am Groot"
"I am Steve Rogers"

Marvel gets it. The hero intros were incredible. The theater going nuts for them. Compare that to Superman's entrance in Justice League on the battle with Steppenwolf (I say that as a fan of Justice League/DC).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Considering Starlord's mom made him two mixtapes, I hope we see a scene in Avengers 4 where somebody makes him a brand new mixtape of late 80's music for GOTG 3. Maybe even some early 90's. Maybe a few dvd's?

Gotta be Peter Parker.
Why would be need a mix tape? He has a Zune now!
Good point.

In that case Peter will hook it up to his laptop and transfer him all his music. He'll show Quill how to sort it by year. He'll go straight to 1987 and go from there. Bam.

Edit: But not before Peter makes fun of him for having a Zune.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Somehow, they managed to top the "Immigrant Song" moment in Ragnarok, which was about as awesome as it gets.
TCTTS
AG
As of now, it's looking like True Detective Season 3 in HBO's early 2019 slot (January to March), and then Game of Thrones Season 8 in their Spring slot (April to June).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So back to their original slot? Interesting. Would be smack-dab in the middle of the Avengers 4 release, which I wonder if they would to try to avoid.

I know it's two completely different mediums that don't directly compete, but I think both Marvel and HBO know there is a ton of fanbase overlap there.

Makes me wonder if they want to have a 6 week period all to themselves without a massive movie like Avengers taking some of that fan excitement.
jeffk
AG
Saw it solo last night. Blown away.

So much good banter, but one of my favorites was:

Rocket: You speak Groot!?

Thor: Yes, I took it in school. It was an elective.

Parker's disappearance was tough to take. Just a solid acting performance. There had to be something to the fact that the End Game Strange refers to requires all the stones to be together. Maybe they'll have to destroy them all at once to undo the universe split?

Lastly, do we know if Banner was still inside the armor post-snap? Can't remember if they showed him again after he got tossed into the rocks.
jeffk
AG
Also, how great are they getting at making villains in these flicks?!

Loki, Killmonger and now Thanos were all complex, relatable character that almost made you root for them.
jeffk
AG
Sorry - just a thought someone else probably already brought up, but since all the stones were created at the Big Bang, isn't it conceivable that the six together contain power specifically designed to create a universe. Instead of killing half as Thanos intended, it just created an identical parallel universe populated with all the disappeared folks?
The Debt
jeffk said:

Also, how great are they getting at making villains in these flicks?!

Loki, Killmonger and now Thanos were all complex, relatable character that almost made you root for them.

Killgrave and Kingpin would like a word with you
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So back to their original slot? Interesting. Would be smack-dab in the middle of the Avengers 4 release, which I wonder if they would to try to avoid.

I know it's two completely different mediums that don't directly compete, but I think both Marvel and HBO know there is a ton of fanbase overlap there.

Makes me wonder if they want to have a 6 week period all to themselves without a massive movie like Avengers taking some of that fan excitement.
Basically, HBO has four windows per year for their dramas. January to March, April to June, July to September, October to December. There is of course some overlap, but those are the general windows. They have three dramas currently scheduled for next year, listed below in the order each started filming...

- Game of Thrones Season 8
- True Detective Season 3
- Big Little Little Lies Season 2

I'm almost positive HBO's president has said that True Detective will be early 2019, as they should be wrapping up filming in the next couple of months. So that leaves either GoT or BLL for spring. BLL started filming like a month or so ago, but that show obviously requires no effects work and a much shorter post-production schedule. The current belief is that GoT will be spring (as a cast member accidentally revealed a couple month back) and and BLL will be summer, but I could easily see them switching those as well, so who knows.
jeffk
AG
I'll give you Killgrave, but there really wasn't anything special about Kingpin other than VD's great acting.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Lastly, do we know if Banner was still inside the armor post-snap? Can't remember if they showed him again after he got tossed into the rocks.
He is still in the armor. He is standing at the back in the scene were Cap is sitting next to Vision's body and everyone else is standing there.
The Debt
So is the Black Order completely wiped out?

The Maw was airlocked
The tank was exploded into the wakanda shield by banner
The chick was ground into the machinery by scarlet witch
The kree was stabbed in the back by vision
Gamora learned she cant fly
So just Nebula?
Brick Tamland
Yeah, wasn't a Kingpin fan.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

I'll give you Killgrave, but there really wasn't anything special about Kingpin other than VD's great acting.
He was really well written though. They took a character that can be a bit cartoony in the comics and made him an imposing criminal and political force, and even one that you had a bit of compassion for.

Killgrave was just flippin' terrifying.
jtstanley4621
AG
The thing that I liked about Thanos is that like, okay, take away the infinity gauntlet. You then have a guy who can go toe to toe with the Hulk. He's damn powerful to begin with
AgMarauder04
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

The thing that I liked about Thanos is that like, okay, take away the infinity gauntlet. You then have a guy who can go toe to toe with the Hulk. He's damn powerful to begin with
Didn't he already have power stone when he fought Hulk?
The Debt
One thing that should be discussed is Thor.

With Odin dead and the strombringer being a king's weapon, Thor is no longer Thor. He is King Thor, which should be as powerful as Odin.

The only problem is king of what?

Nick Fury: What aint no country I've ever heard of!!

Ragnorak told us: Asgard = people. Did thanos destroy the entire ship? If half were safe, why did they leave their people floating?
TexasAggie_02
AG
The Debt said:

One thing that should be discussed is Thor.

With Odin dead and the strombringer being a king's weapon, Thor is no longer Thor. He is King Thor, which should be as powerful as Odin.

The only problem is king of what?

Nick Fury: What aint no country I've ever heard of!!

Ragnorak told us: Asgard = people. Did thanos destroy the entire ship? If half were safe, why did they leave their people floating?
the directors confirmed that Valkyrie evacuated as many Asguardians as possible in escape pods. They would not confirm Korg's fate though.
Swarely
TexasAggie_02
AG
can you make that just a tad larger please?

EDIT: Thanks
jtstanley4621
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Didn't he already have power stone when he fought Hulk?

He did, but it didn't look like he used it during the fight, at least to me
rhutton125
AG
I'd been pulling for Thanos to make his entrance by knocking out the Hulk for a while now, but now I'm in favor of Hulk having at least one big dominating moment. He's had a rough go of it lately:

- loses to the Hulkbuster
- should have lost to Thor
- knocked out by Thanos

He needs one big "nobody is as strong as the Hulk" moment before Ruffalo bows out. Whether that is 2019 or years later.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Can't believe we have to wait a year for the sequel,
I wonder what you would have said had you walked out of a movie theater in May-June 1980 having just seen The Empire Strikes Back ... and then having to wait three years for the sequel!
The Debt
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I wonder what you would have said had you walked out of a movie theater in May-June 1980 having just seen The Empire Strikes Back ... and then having to wait three years for the sequel!

1 year...3 years...

TexasAggie_02
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I've waited 14 years for the Incredibles
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just saw it a third time. IMAX this time.

Some thoughts ...

Thor is a bad-ass, finally. He showed glimpses of this bad-add-ness in Ragnorak ("Tell me who's ass I have to kick!"), but here he is just on top of his game. He demonstrates emotional range with the deaths of both Heimdall and Loki, to his energetic arrival in Wakanda and his final battle with Thanos. This was the Thor character that I think everyone has always wanted.

Cap had a nice entrance as well when he caught that spear and came out of the shadow. But overall I thought Cap was a bit of an after-thought in this movie. At least until he caught the Infinity gauntlet with both his hands and took that blow from Thanos' right fist. I think the lack of his vibranium shield made me think he's an after-thought. I get why he didn't have his shield, but I guess it'd be like seeing a movie featuring Batman and there's no traditional bat-arang or batmobile or what-have-you.

The Guardians ... lots of comedy there. Drax being Drax. Quill deepening his voice. Teenage back-talking Groot. But there was a lot of really good and serious moments here as well, Gamora being prime among them. Being Thanos' adopted daughter, one had to know she would factor in heavily in this movie. I got a good sense of the level of anger she felt toward Thanos. She thought she had killed him at Knowhere, but of course the reality stone was in play; that sobbing while her "dad" lay there bleeding out, before the work of the reality stone was revealed, got me all knotted up (my daughter will tell you she has me wrapped around her little finger and can whip out the tears to get just about anything she wants (she's wrong, but she'll say it's so)). Then, I knew the moment that Red Skull said a "soul for a soul" that she was going to die, yet that was still one of the movie's top emotional moments.

In a movie with this many characters, I was glad that everyone got some meaningful screen time.

Music - I loved the Rubberband Man song inclusion when we first see the Guardians, and I am also happy that they brought back Alan Silvestri to do the score (he did both The First Avenger and The Avengers, arguably the best musical scores in the entire MCU).

Finally, Thanos. Wow. They've been teasing him ever since the first end-credit scene in the first Avengers, and did they ever deliver. I felt like he commanded every scene he was in. It was much like way back in 1989 when Jack Nicholson's Joker was on screen - you just knew he was this bad-ass villain who you absolutely could not take your eyes off of. Same thing with Thanos. I know some have questioned his motivations, but really, how do you think they pull off something like wanting to impress "death"? Not being real familiar with his entire story, what does that mean about "death"? Is that some character that we've never seen, or I think I recall that Hela in Ragnorak was referred to as "death", surely not her given that she could not even defeat Thor or that fiery thing. Thanos is a villain, but he's a baddie with an emotional core that seems real enough, as seen with his interactions with Gamora.
jackie childs
rhutton125 said:

I'd been pulling for Thanos to make his entrance by knocking out the Hulk for a while now, but now I'm in favor of Hulk having at least one big dominating moment. He's had a rough go of it lately:

- knocked out by Thanos

He needs one big "nobody is as strong as the Hulk" moment before Ruffalo bows out. Whether that is 2019 or years later.
the Hulk is interesting because he's a crowd/audience favorite, but i'd imagine Ruffalo (as an actor) probably prefers films like IW where he's mostly playing Banner.

but yeah, i can't imagine that Hulk won't bounce back in a big way in Avengers 4.
cav14
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I know right? A year in-between movies seems like an acceptable time frame, but it's actually impressive when you think about the logistics and production of it all especially with movies this big. The only other movie series that had only one year in between movies that I can think of was Back to the Future Part 2 and Part 3. Maybe his mindset is treating these movies like blockbuster TV shows ala Walking Dead and GOT where you only wait a week between episodes and 6 months between half-seasons. Or maybe he just has no patience.

hurleyag
AG
cav14 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I know right? A year in-between movies seems like an acceptable time frame, but it's actually impressive when you think about the logistics and production of it all especially with movies this big. The only other movie series that had only one year in between movies that I can think of was Back to the Future Part 2 and Part 3. Maybe his mindset is treating these movies like blockbuster TV shows ala Walking Dead and GOT where you only wait a week between episodes and 6 months between half-seasons. Or maybe he just has no patience.

Lord of the Rings too
V8Aggie
AG
Didn't they already film the next IW? That's what makes it harder to wait.
Bobcat06
AG
BTF and LOTR both shot multiple movies at the same time (like Avengers 3 &4), but what's more impressive to me is those who were in films in 2017 then turned around and did both avengers (Chris Helmsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Holland, RDJ, and all of GOTG)

Even more impressive is Chris Pratt's schedule who did GOTG2, Avengers 3 & 4 and managed to sneak the new Jurrassic World in between everything else.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

According to lore, Thanos could have defeated all of them without the Infinity Gauntlet. He's that powerful. They dumbed down his power for the movie. He could easily beat the Hulk. But like I said earlier, Heart of the Monster Hulk would have been able to go toe to toe.
dreyOO
Fightin TX Aggie said:

The axe basically defeats the gauntlet to land in Thanos' chest.

Hadn't thought about it but that's a great way to put it. Interesting.
dreyOO
jackie childs said:

rhutton125 said:

- knocked out by Thanos

the Hulk is interesting because he's a crowd/audience favorite, but i'd imagine Ruffalo (as an actor) probably prefers films like IW where he's mostly playing Banner.

but yeah, i can't imagine that Hulk won't bounce back in a big way in Avengers 4.

I don't know the story as I never read the comics. But I'd love to see him whip Thanos without the gauntlet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.