*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

124,108 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to mention it's been pretty clear that she does not want it. He'd be a pretty massive dick to a person he says he loves to force her into becoming Dr. Manhattan.
amercer
AG
I don't know. We've seen her traumatic (multigenerational) backstory, and she already is a masked "hero". Plus if all the egg clues add up, he's been basically trying to give her his powers from the beginning. And it would tie up why the show has been about her.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for spoiling it, jerks

What doesn't make sense is why the senator thinks he can become Manhattan, or that he would retain much of himself after doing so. But then, the characters in the story have a lot less insight into the weirdness thus is Dr Manhattan than the viewers/readers.
amercer
AG
Actually the easiest setup for a season 2 would be if one good guy and one bad guy both get the powers. But that seems a little trite and simplistic for Watchmen
Robert C. Christian
AG
amercer said:

I don't know. We've seen her traumatic (multigenerational) backstory, and she already is a masked "hero". Plus if all the egg clues add up, he's been basically trying to give her his powers from the beginning. And it would tie up why the show has been about her.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for spoiling it, jerks

What doesn't make sense is why the senator thinks he can become Manhattan, or that he would retain much of himself after doing so. But then, the characters in the story have a lot less insight into the weirdness thus is Dr Manhattan than the viewers/readers.
I might be mis-remembering but, Dr. Manhattan was still Jon after he had his incident and the personality that he exhibits now is due to his experiences post becoming the Dr. So it would stand to reason that the senator would retain his personality and goals after he gets his powers.
claym711
AG
There is doubt that Angela is going to become Dr M? Lindelof gets 2 birds w 1 stone.
amercer
AG
I guess in the comic we do mostly see him much later when almost all of the Jon part of him is gone. Still I don't think anyone really understands what being dr Manhattan entails.
MW03
AG
TCTTS said:

Damn it, I think you're right.

The more I think on it, the more convinced I am that this is going to happen.

If Manhattan experiences all time simultaneously, then he knows that Angela is going to be the new Dr. Manhattan when he goes to Europa to try and be happy with his new world. So when he leaves, he leaves specifically to find Angela, who he falls in love with because she tries to save him even when she can't, which is more evidence that Angela is better suited to be Dr. Manhattan. And he knows she can't save him because he knows that he will let himself be captured and not kill the guy behind the gun because he knows that is what has to happen to get her into position to become Dr. Manhattan.

And as for the race relation theme, what happened to the people of Tulsa, the 7K, etc., the twist is that a black woman will become the most powerful being in the universe instead of the power hungry white supremacist.

Could the tragedy be making Angela the new Dr. Manhattan without considering her desires, given his comment that he would never pass along his powers to someone else without their consent?

Dro07
AG
Hey we found out what happened to the other gunman! It was there all along we just didn't see it
Sex Panther
AG
I think you're spot on and personally I think that's lame. I also think the whole, "Oh by the way, Dr. Manhattan can totally pass on his powers" is lame as hell too.

We'll see how it unfolds but that would be a very disappointing ending to me.
BenFiasco14
AG
I have a feeling if this happens there will be a push to de-canonize the show
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
I'm with SP in that I think this is 100% spot on, but will ultimately find it pretty lame. Reading this, the first thing that came to mind, weirdly enough, was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. That movie is essentially Tarantino giving Sharon Tate her "justice"/happy ending by means of a fantasy "revenge" story. Knowing how Lindelof is approaching this project, he's absolutely going to do roughly the same thing by "righting" the wrongs of white supremacy by means of a fantasy "revenge" story, in which Angela, a black woman, defeats the white supremacists by becoming the most supreme being of all. I mean, just look at the poster below. As the latest Screen Crush video points out, it was there all along. She's literally blue.

The issue I have with this, though, is that she doesn't come across as a character who will elicit the necessary emotional response from the audience when/if this happens. I definitely root for her, but honestly, I don't have much empathy for her. She's already relatively "powerful," all things considered - as a strong black woman who kicks a ton of ass - and has a pretty amazing life, all things considered. The idea of Doctor Manhattan giving his powers to another person would be way more effective if the person on the receiving end wasn't already a "powerful" bad ass. It would be so much better if it was a meek character who had been kicked around all series and we had massive amounts of empathy for. Then, to see that person get "revenge" and kick ass via Doctor Manhattan's powers would be so awesome and fulfilling, a la Captain America's arc in his first movie.

The jury's still out, of course, but knowing all that we know, I don't see how this doesn't happen...

PDWT_12
AG
TCTTS said:

It would be so much better if it was a meek character who had been kicked around all series and we had massive amounts of empathy for. Then, to see that person get "revenge" and kick ass via Doctor Manhattan's powers would be so awesome and fulfilling, ala Captain America's arc in his first movie.
TCTTS
BenFiasco14
AG
PDWT_12 said:

TCTTS said:

It would be so much better if it was a meek character who had been kicked around all series and we had massive amounts of empathy for. Then, to see that person get "revenge" and kick ass via Doctor Manhattan's powers would be so awesome and fulfilling, ala Captain America's arc in his first movie.

They're never going to address this again, are they?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
WES2006AG
AG
That would be a major omission if they didn't. I think we will get 30 seconds of the show to reveal who Lube Man is.
PDWT_12
AG
Oh I wouldn't be so sure. Considering it's pretty well accepted that Lube Man is Agent Petey, and our latest addition of Peteypedia describes the novel "Fogdancer" which Ozy was reading at the end of last episode and happens to be a favorite of Vigilantes and Petey.

A novel that has a character that belonged to an elite special forces unit (known as Fogdancers) which wore tight fitting silver suits, gas masks, and slippery gel. And considering the novel features a scene where the two main characters seem to have met their end, before the arrival of a fellow Fogdancer (who entered the facility via air ducts) helps turn the tide and save the day.
MW03
AG
I still can't quite figure out how Ozymandias plays into all this... so wild theory time.

• Ozy has a device that makes Manhattan "plan A for amnesia" blind. He's still on earth, frustrated about everything.
  • Ozy meets with Manhattan, who tells Ozy abou the girl. He even gives Ozy her name.
  • Ozy tells Manhattan to finish your business, then install the device. He then gets sent to Europa.
  • Manhattan goes to Will, putting into motion the plan to make Angela the new Dr. Manhattan.
  • Manhattan then installs the memory device from Ozy, making him no longer omnipotent.
  • Will enlists the help of Trieu to get his memories to Angela.
  • Trieu seems to know that Cal is really Manhattan, so assume further that Will told Trieu in order to get her to help.
  • Assume that Trieu is Ozy's daughter. Did Ozy get a message to her about Manhattan, the name Angela, and the fact that Manhattan would be blind for a time?
  • Trieu, with Manhattan without powers, builds this mysterious millenium clock. She also builds these phonebooths to Manhattan, knowing that Manhattan is actually not really hearing any of it because he's been disabled. Why?
  • Ozy begins his work trying to get out of the Europa biosphere to get a message back home via dead bodies of Manhattan's beings.
  • Angela wakes up Manhattan, who is now himself again, only he cannot see anything that happened from the time he was in the blind.

What if the Millennium Clock, with the stated purpose of saving the world and with an activation that seems to coincide conveniently with the Manhattan-to-Angela plan, is really a means for Ozy to steal Manhattan's powers himself? He thinks the world "needs" him, screaming from their crib. Did he devise a plan, while Manhattan was incapacitated, to do the same via Trieu? Does Manhattan know what's going to happen, but not how since he was out while the plan was being devised?

What happens if both Ozymandias and Angela get the powers? Is that the hero v. villain showdown for future seasons? Ozy, trying to save the world from itself via gruesome means, and Angela trying to save the word from Ozy's methods?

Is Angela the watchman watching the watchman now?

redline248
AG
Sounds pretty spoilery
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Great as always.

Did I miss the shootout to my mom?
TCTTS
AG
I didn't catch it either.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

The jury's still out, of course, but knowing all that we know, I don't see how this doesn't happen...

This being her glowing blue showing that she is/become Dr Manhattan ?
TCTTS
AG
Right. I think it's foreshadowing.
redline248
AG
Maybe looking glass will get the power
Duncan Idaho
What were the other posters in this set?
TCTTS
AG
There weren't any.
Duncan Idaho
Oh. I was thinking if there were more posters and she was the only one in blue...
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that'd be cool. But that's the official series poster, even though it looks like a character poster.
redline248
AG
Could be foreshadowing
or
Could be another clue about her relationship with Dr M?
MBAR
AG
WES2006AG said:

That would be a major omission if they didn't. I think we will get 30 seconds of the show to reveal who Lube Man is.
Honestly it doesn't even register as a minor omission given the history of Lindelof.
Two Gun Corcoran
AG
I skimmed the first 6 pages or so of this thread before I ran out of steam. I made it to where the first episode was discussed and everyone going what the hell did I just watch. I can say as someone who has not read the graphic novel, seen the movie or knew anything about it at all really... it absolutely worked.

Of course I didn't know what the hell was happening either but I figured that was on purpose and trusted that eventually everything would fall in to place. And it did. Beautifully.
dummble
AG
LT wants vengeance for Vietnam, ergo she is running the 7k. The clock and cage somehow allow DM to go back in time and change what he did. Angela doesn't stop her.

Petey/AKA Lube Man does, roll credits

JCRiley09
AG
DM is back in time
dummble
AG
Yes, but allow him to change his actions, create a new timeline
TCTTS
AG
Possible hint of an imminent season two announcement, which, if happening, would likely be announced tomorrow...

TCTTS
AG
25 minutes in and this is amazing so far...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.