*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

124,121 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
amercer said:

redline248 said:

Why?

I'm just saying my grandad is 95 and spends his afternoons napping in front of the tv, not throwing grown men over tree branches.
Mmmmm, you throw the rope over the branch.
TCTTS
AG
It's just insane how many references, winks, and nods Lindelof & co are skillfully layering into each episode. I am in awe. Another great recap from Screen Crush...

easttexasaggie04
AG
So dang good!
fig96
AG
This is an article that I was about to write off as nitpicky but actually makes a fascinating point about the hip hop song on the stereo (Future) in the very first scene of Watchmen. What would've happened to hip hop if 3.5 million people had died in NYC in 1985?

https://theoutline.com/post/8130/watchmen-hbo-future-crushed-up?zd=1&zi=6iclajjh
PooDoo
AG
fig96 said:

This is an article that I was about to write off as nitpicky but actually makes a fascinating point about the hip hop song on the stereo (Future) in the very first scene of Watchmen. What would've happened to hip hop if 3.5 million people had died in NYC in 1985?

https://theoutline.com/post/8130/watchmen-hbo-future-crushed-up?zd=1&zi=6iclajjh

He looks exactly like the narcissistic New Yorker I imagined while reading that article. Thinking an attack in New York would erase Atlanta rap... He was sooooo bothered by the songs use. Good grief.
tk for tu juan
Considering hip hop was mainstream before 1985, 3.5 million dying in NYC would not prevent it from developing in other areas of the country. Plus this is an alternate realty where Nixon was president for 5 terms and Redford is the current president, hip hop could have started in Tulsa for all we know.
amercer
AG
I mean, which borough was the squid in?
BenFiasco14
AG
fig96 said:

Who needs NY rap when we have Houston in our backyard?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
redline248
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

fig96 said:

Who needs NY rap when we have Houston in our backyard?

Still tippin'
fig96
AG
Wow, that touched a nerve.

I'm not saying the guy is 100% right, but wiping out a third of the population of one of the creative centers of the world certainly could have had an effect on a lot of things including hip hop (particularly at that point in time).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
fig96 said:

I'm not saying the guy is 109% right, but wiping out a third of the population of one of the creative centers of the world certainly could have had an effect on a lot of things including hip hop (particularly at that point in time).

Beastie Boys would be the new Biggie.
fig96
AG
Considering they were from New York and their first big album dropped in 1986 that's a coin flip
PooDoo
AG
fig96 said:

I'm not saying the guy is 109% right, but wiping out a third of the population of one of the creative centers of the world certainly could have had an effect on a lot of things including hip hop (particularly at that point in time).
The pictures that I've seen from the comic look like mostly white people were killed.

If it did hit Manhattan in 1985 I'd have to guess there would be close to 3 million people at that time.

I think NYC rap survives.
tk for tu juan
Is Petey the lube man?
redline248
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Is Petey the lube man?
I don't know, but holy **** the fetus traps...omg
amercer
AG
Weirder and better every week
amercer
AG
Oh and Blake 100% speaks Vietnamese
fig96
AG
amercer said:

Weirder and better every week
I was about to say, this is getting weirder and I freakin' love it.

Some of the theories about Will are sounding more and more likely. I did find it odd that the database said he had been killed, because don't they know that he recently added himself (via Angela) to the system?
redline248
AG
amercer said:

Oh and Blake 100% speaks Vietnamese
I think so, as well.
amercer
AG
So Treiu imprisoned Veidt took over his company and teamed up with Will, because she wants to get revenge for American colonialism in Vietnam. And will is on board because it will let him get vengeance for the Tulsa massacre???

Or it's something completely different and ****ed up

Maybe the clock is actually an intrinsic field generator, and they are trying to make Will into another Dr Manhattan
BenFiasco14
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Is Petey the lube man?

That was creepy as ***** Who the hell is that
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
I don't even know what to say at this point. This show is just so incredibly weird yet so incredibly cool; a show that has gone from zero to I'm-hanging-on-every-scene in record time.

That, and Lady Trieu is yet another fantastic addition to the cast. Her introduction was one of the best openings to an episode of television I can remember. Such a great sequence.

I have so many more questions/observations after tonight, but I'm going on four hours of sleep and will have to get to them tomorrow...
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
amercer
AG
The daughter is definitely a clone. I think her nightmare was actual memories that her mom is feeding her via some dream tech. (Which is why she had an IV in)

I like your theory about luring Dr Manhattan back, but I don't see how will fits into that.
FTA03
AG
I think Trieu is behind the rise of the 7th Calvary. Building a giant "clock" and the "tick tock" chant can't be coincidence.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Can we discuss Ozzy getting babies out of the water? I'm trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I get the machine sped up their growth...but how did they get in the water?!

Also...was the shot of the moon supposed to tell us that he's on the moon?
Dro07
AG
Quote:

.but how did they get in the water?!
Well when a woman and a man love each other and they want to consummate their love he shoots his tadpoles into her lake. The tadpoles then race to a cage where it begins to grow. After the tadpoles grow to a certain point the stork comes and picks the babies out, tossing out the redheads back into the lake.
amercer
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

Well when a woman and a man love each other and they want to consummate their love he shoots his tadpoles into her lake. The tadpoles then race to a cage where it begins to grow. After the tadpoles grow to a certain point the stork comes and picks the babies out, tossing out the redheads back into the lake.
fig96
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

I always knew junior high health class was total BS.
amercer
AG
FTA03 said:

I think Trieu is behind the rise of the 7th Calvary. Building a giant "clock" and the "tick tock" chant can't be coincidence.

The weirdest part there is Will being aligned with the 7th cav. I'm all on board with them not being exactly as we expect, but they are clearly pretty racist.
FTA03
AG
Agree there's more to 7th Cav story than just a bunch of racists. I think Treiu is using them to create chaos, put Blake in danger etc., to prompt return of Dr.Manhattan. Fits the theory above that the "clock" is a device to capture Dr. Manhattan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.