*** WATCHMEN (HBO) ***

124,214 Views | 1166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
Whos Juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

My theory is Will joined the Germans in WW1.

Will was like 4 when WW1 ended
Dro07
AG
Maybe WW2 but def not 1
amercer
AG
The flyer is from WWI though.

I think Will is the grandson of the Black Marshall
easttexasaggie04
AG
Oops. Yep, that's what I meant.
Dro07
AG
Was responding to the Will joining the Germans for ww1. He was too young so i just suggested it would have had to be Ww2 for him to be old enough.
amercer
AG
Also Will is 103? I know he's in a wheelchair, but he's getting around pretty good for his age
Whos Juan
AG
amercer said:

Also Will is 103? I know he's in a wheelchair, but he's getting around pretty good for his age

He said he was 105 in the 2nd episode.
amercer
AG
So he's clearly got some powers of some kind
redline248
AG
Why?
TCTTS
AG
His age, he's in wheelchair, yet he somehow (likely) hung Crawford from a tree, and also there's a shot of him in episode two pulling an egg - bare-handed - from a pot of boiling water. That, and the "friends in high places" comment just before someone appeared in the sky and plucked him from a parking lot.
amercer
AG
redline248 said:

Why?

I'm just saying my grandad is 95 and spends his afternoons napping in front of the tv, not throwing grown men over tree branches.
redline248
AG
This is an alternate world. Who knows what 100 year olds can do
amercer
AG
That is true.

In the comic, only Dr Manhattan had actual super powers, but the other heroes did have some abilities that weren't really explained.
redline248
AG
Next week we meet Lady Trieu, who apparently built some monument, bought Ozymandias' company, and developed the phone system to call Dr Manhattan. Do we know anything else about her?
amercer
AG
She reads all the newspapers
redline248
AG
Is she who that girl was buying the papers for?
easttexasaggie04
AG
This show is really hitting it's stride IMO...I found most of the plot lines intriguing.

1. Calling mars on a badass pay phone
2. The crazy prison Ozzy is living in
3. The old man who can eat boiling hot eggs

amercer
AG
What are the chances that season one is just an extended origin story for Hooded Justice?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

His age, he's in wheelchair, yet he somehow (likely) hung Crawford from a tree, and also there's a shot of him in episode two pulling an egg - bare-handed - from a pot of boiling water. That, and the "friends in high places" comment just before someone appeared in the sky and plucked him from a parking lot.

I'm seeing online that the car he was picked up in and the one dropped in front of Silk Spectre look like the same car. So maybe he is actually in league with Manhattan?
TCTTS
AG
That's what I'm thinking...
redline248
AG
Champ Bailey said:

TCTTS said:

I'm seeing online that the car he was picked up in and the one dropped in front of Silk Spectre look like the same car. So maybe he is actually in league with Manhattan?
1. I thought that was obvious, as having that car is a huge piece of evidence for Blake

2. If Manhattan was helping him, he wouldn't need a giant magnet to lift the car away, would he?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
redline248 said:

Champ Bailey said:

TCTTS said:

1. I thought that was obvious, as having that car is a huge piece of evidence for Blake

2. If Manhattan was helping him, he wouldn't need a giant magnet to lift the car away, would he?

Fair point.
MW03
AG
1) This show is awesome and they are nailing the feel from the comic.

2) The theme of the watchmen is competing philosophies. Ozymandias is a utilitarian. The Comedian is a nihilist. Rorschach is a deontologist. It's fascinating to watch how these personalities play out in the context of heroes. I don't know if the show is following this pattern, but I hope so.

3) Trent Rezor is a genius. Give me this over Djawadi's Westworld, and I love Westworld's score.

4) I am loving Regina King. She's awesome.

5) The white supremacy angle is interesting. I can't believe I'd never heard of Black Wall Street or the Tulsa massacre before. These dudes are making awesome, creepy bad guys. That being said, count me in the group that thinks you shouldn't take this at face value. Fake giant squid begets fake 7th Calvary, probably.

6) If you want to talk tired tropes, give me "young girl who's special and the only one who can save the day" at the present.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have the graphic novel on my Amazon Wish list now.
MW03
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I have the graphic novel on my Amazon Wish list now.

It's only graphic novel I've ever read and I don't regret it.
MW03
AG
Speaking of Reznor and Ross, the album is on Spotify now...

https://open.spotify.com/album/3TB6SKSLA7zUN1jIKwO31e?si=C4HpF9daQbyk3CujP5OAWA
amercer
AG
Something else I've been thinking thinking about is the technology angle. We know that people rejected technology after the 1985 incident because they thought anything Manhattan created might cause cancer (or open an inter dimensional porthole for giant squids), and that the government now controls the release of all new (and old) tech.

But the 7th cav don't seem to be Luddites like the rest of the population. In the opening scene, lettuce truck guy was driving a battery powered truck, and he hid that fact from the cop. In episode 3 we see a bunch of dilapidated charging stations in the parking lot in front of the Manhattan phone. Also, the 7th cav clearly isn't harvesting batteries to make a cancer bomb, since those don't actually cause cancer.

This week we meet the mystery lady who bought Veidts companies. I bet she's not a Luddite either....
Teddy Perkins
AG
amercer
AG
I watched the first two of those and they were good, but what I really want is a recap video that's more about Easter eggs and less about fan theories.

I'll watch that later though
MW03
AG
Thinking on Veidt. He was a technological guy in the novel, correct? Bio-engineering, teleportation, etc. It seems important that he's not using any form of modern technology now (typewriter, bow and arrow, trebuchet, horseback, manual sewing maching, etc.) yet somehow, he's creating clones. Based on the bodies we saw in the fire, it's not a robot of any kind. The government supposedly thinks he's dead, and the interaction with the "games keeper" suggests he's in some kind of captivity. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the games keeper is another creation of his to spice up his captivity. I think I'm more on board with the theory that Dr. Manhattan banished Veidt somewhere and is somehow preventing him from using tech (like a ever-present EMP or something). I think the fact that Veidt is trying to send those dudes into orbit like Laika the dog suggests it's not on Earth, and Veidt is trying to think of a way to get back.
amercer
AG
Yeah at first I just assumed he had gone insane, but it certainly now looks like he's in captivity with no access to modern technology.

I guess we can also assume the leather suit from the last episode was made from the skin of one of his servant/clones since he wasn't allowed to take the bison.

I could see Manhattan making clones for him as companions and not understanding what horrible companions they would be.
fig96
AG
amercer said:

Something else I've been thinking thinking about is the technology angle. We know that people rejected technology after the 1985 incident because they thought anything Manhattan created might cause cancer (or open an inter dimensional porthole for giant squids), and that the government now controls the release of all new (and old) tech.

But the 7th cav don't seem to be Luddites like the rest of the population. In the opening scene, lettuce truck guy was driving a battery powered truck, and he hid that fact from the cop. In episode 3 we see a bunch of dilapidated charging stations in the parking lot in front of the Manhattan phone. Also, the 7th cav clearly isn't harvesting batteries to make a cancer bomb, since those don't actually cause cancer.

This week we meet the mystery lady who bought Veidts companies. I bet she's not a Luddite either....
If I'm not mistaken everything is electric, I don't think any of the cars have combustion engines.
redline248
AG
There were dead pigs or deer hanging in the courtyard where he put the skins to dry.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Veidt being a prisoner of Dr. Manhattan makes a lot of sense to me. His escape back to earth could Prompt Manhattan to follow him.

But I could also see him being a prisoner of the mysterious company that bought his company. I think we're about to get to know them. Maybe the company's leader even tricked Veidt into somehow entering his own captivity, which would be an ironic fate for "the world's smartest man," and certainly inspire Veidt to avenge his humiliation.
Thanks and gig'em
MW03
AG
Could the "blue god" have sent the smug "super hero" to hell, like in Laurie Blake's joke? Could Dr. Manhattan create a hell? Certainly, hell for Veidt would be a place with no people and no technology. Maybe Dr. Manhattan put him in a hell he created on another planet. I presume Manhattan could alter whatever matter available to terraform a planet. Maybe Veidt is trying to escape his hell.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.