WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,374 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Simplebay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
100% incorrect. every media outlet said he said it word for word.

quote:
"Look for Episode VII in the summer of 2015 and it's going to be great" -Alan Horn

As well as other stuff about it "always being intended for a summer release", and various star wars quotes.

http://www.theforce.net/story/movie/Walt_Disney_Studios_Chairman_Episode_VII_To_Be_Released_In_Summer_2015_153622.asp

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/disney-confirms-star-wars-episode-vii-for-summer-2015

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 8/19/2013 2:03p).]
TCTTS
AG
If there's a legit way to do, I'll put money on it right now that it's a December release. I would love nothing more than to potentially put an end to your contrarian schtick once and for all, by you actually having to put your money where your mouth is.

Despite whatever Alan Horn may or may not have said, not only have I laid out the facts over and over again, but every prominent movie blogger out there is getting behind this December release date news. And they're all echoing the same points I've been making for months.

If you're not willing to put money on it, at the very least, read my breakdown from a few days ago, and actually back-up, point-by-point, why you still insist on a summer date. And we'll see who's right come announcement time.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2013 2:52p).]
Simplebay
AG
whoa whoa, relax. it's not contrarian. it's a fact.

he said it. this was confirmed by like 95% of media outlets that were there. including word for word quotes. hell there might even be video even though it was closed doors.

your gut feeling, which may be right eventually, comes with one source who is not that reputable (as you may know), and their sources are unnamed.

and the only reason bloggers are getting behind this, is because literally almost every one of them believe(d) Summer 2015.
Simplebay
AG
and there's no need for a backed up point by point breakdown of too much esposition. it's simple.

this is one of the most important movie releases of all time. they have a tried and true forumla with this franchise, and they're not gonna break the mold of the franchise, or try to shift the stigma of summer movie tentpoles.

they may be playing around with December (which is what your bloggers are running with), but ultimately if they can't make the Summer 2015 deadling (which I do agree they may miss), it'll go back to Summer '16.

again: you are wayyyy too defensive of this stuff.
asmith96
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/star-wars-episode-vii-december_n_3780791.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment
I hope that worked....
TCTTS
AG
quote:
again: you are wayyyy too defensive of this stuff.

It's not that we disagree. Ultimately, I don't care one way or another. But yes, I do get defensive when every single time I post something, you're right there in the very next post saying the exact opposite. Over and over and over again. It's exhausting, it's annoying, and it definitely causes me to be more defensive than I probably should. Again, in general, if you want to disagree, that's totally fine. It's how you go about disagreeing that sometimes makes me just want to stop posting altogether.
Simplebay
AG
fair enough. but then to not be hypocritical you need to at least knowledge the irony of this-

quote:
Alan Horn never said summer 2015. Only "2015."

quote:
quote:
"Look for Episode VII in the summer of 2015 and it's going to be great" -Alan Horn

quote:
Despite whatever Alan Horn may or may not have said

just because you disagree with the summer release date due to timetables, you've actually offered less facts than I have. just conjecture based on facts.

Here's the facts.

-Star Wars has completely owned May release dates. Forever.
-Star Wars bombed its only production the winter release season. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_Special
-The CEO of the controlling stakeholder in Star Wars literally said a Summer release date, "as it was intended"
-Movie producers are VERY hesitant to change the mold, and/or gamble with their biggest franchises.

Anything else is an educated guess on your part, and just because you may find it contratian, doesn't mean your facts support it anymore than the above do a Summer release. and you may have problems with how i present anything that disgarees with you, but that's because half the time you're equally as unqilling to see the other side due to being in one of your in a "i am right because i have friends who read scripts and see trailers early" mood,and i'm not the only one who's said so.

i don't agree with you all the time, oftentimes you're wrong quite a bit esepcialyl surrounding your predictions of upcoming movies. and a result of that, it doesnt mean you can just blantly dimiss things because ya may not like it
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, that was all I was looking for. I don't mean this sarcastically at all, but having an actual, well-thought-out argument/post really does go a long way. I can actually see where you're coming from now.

And while I agree with most of those points, I still say because there's probably not enough time to make summer 2015 (knowing what we know), combined with the fact that Disney has three other tentpoles scheduled for that summer, that those logistics trump any past traditions. It's not that I "disagree" with any potential summer time-table. It's just simple math that Episode VII doesn't likely fit.

Hopefully we'll find out in the coming weeks...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
oftentimes you're wrong quite a bit esepcialyl surrounding your predictions of upcoming movies

I get where you're coming from, in that I can get excited for certain movies that may end up sucking, but that doesn't mean I was "wrong" in my excitement. Before a movie comes out, I hardly ever conclusively say whether it's going to be good or bad. I may point to reviews, or word-of-mouth, and that kind of stuff may end up being over-hyped or what not, but I wasn't "wrong" in drawing attention to those things. That's very different than outright saying I *know* such-and-such movie *will* be good. I try to stay away from making claims like that.
Simplebay
AG
i actually am in agreement that it may not make summer 2015, but on the chance it doesnt: Summer '16. a tough push, and they shouldn't rush it.

im of the opinion that thanks to Geroge Lucas they're screwed no matter what.

Summer 2015: "omg too soon! it's been rush, gonna suck."
Christmas 2015: "wtf a winter star wars? did this series of movies not define the summer movie season as we know it? gonna suck"
Summer 2016: "omg they're taking to long, lol reshoots, gonna suck."

i still think pushing for summer 2015 is the best option though. You don't break the mold by "risking" the Christmas market (Abrams is not Jim Cameron, and he plays by a different set of rules). If summer '15 we don't have to endure another year of Abrams' super secretive top secret crap (which has already gotten old) for the marketing. Don't do secret stuff, make it grandoise, timeless, classic, and Star Wars-y. This shouldn't be a secret, so someone tell the Bad Robot marketing team to gtfo. If they do what they did to Khan with like Luke's kid or a main character im gonna barf. they should've just said he was Khan. no need to beat us over the heads with I am Your Father's. Hell, there doesn't even really NEED to be a major twist. Just take us on a classic ride.

Abrams and his crew apparently work VERY efficiently, and Disney will give them anything they want. that bodes well for a Summer '15 release. After that their next best option is get it right, and set the summer '16 season off with a bang.

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 8/19/2013 4:56p).]
wxguy95
AG
'That fight seen isn't quite there.'

'Don't worry, I will add enough lens flare so no one will be able to see the mistake.'
sharkenleo
quote:
Don't do secret stuff, make it grandoise, timeless, classic, and Star Wars-y.

This. So much this. When the teaser comes out, I want lightsabers. I want dogfights. I want John Williams blasting from the speakers.
Womackster
DartAg1970
AG
TCTTS, I have lurked your threads for some time and have always found your insight and vision for movies extremely entertaining and just a joy to read.

You may have already done this on another thread or perhaps I missed it in this one and I apologize if I did.

I would love to get your opinion of what this movie should be. Plot, characters, charachet development, cameos from other movies, villian, ending, etc.

I am a huge SW fan, it may damage my credibility, but I thought Episode II and III were really good. Not great and nowhere near the original series, but I mostly enjoyed the ability to experience more of the SW universe and particularly the uses of a lightsaber due to the new technology we have compared to the 70's.

Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts on what you would do if you were creating this movie. I just can't picture what it; A. is going to be like or B. what it could be like if done right.

Maybe I haven't done enough reading on the subject but it would be much appreciated.
sharkenleo
As a big SW nerd, mind if I jump in? Here's what I'm hoping to see:

Characters: Han and Leia in minor roles, but significant. Maybe high ranking officials in the new Galactic Republic. But Han is still not giving a ****.

Their children have knowledge in the force and are in the Jedi academy. Maybe one is more of a rogue, similar to a young Han, and wants to leave the Jedi order.

Luke is the highest ranking Jedi obviously, and has regular conversations with Ghost Yoda, and to a lesser extent Obi-Wan.

Plot would be about remnants of the Empire quietly building power and planning an attack on the new Jedi order, lead secretly by...

Darth Maul. I don't follow the EU, so just make it so his race lives longer than humans. Of course, he has robo-legs and isn't the warrior he used to be, so he's training a new apprentice, with the help of Ghost Palpatine, and this young apprentice is the main villain.

New protagonist should be someone unrelated, or peripherally related, to the Skywalkers. Male or female, doesn't matter. But he/she ends up teaming up with the rogue Solo kid somehow.

Make it similar to ANH, with space dogfights, lightsaber battles, and a character coming of age.

And you gotta have R2D2 and C3P0.

In short, don't mess with a good thing. Not overly nostalgic, but clearly echoes the original. Do this right and you've got yourself $1.5 billion, at least.
Red Five
AG
Not following the EU is pretty damaging to your SW nerd cred.
sharkenleo
Non-canon, don't matter.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You sound like SuperShadow with that plot.

Did Robo-Leg Darth Maul just decide to sit out the events of Episodes II-VI for no reason?

Aggie_Journalist
AG
I just hope that someday we get a Thrawn-inspired movie or trilogy. Leave the Jedi magic in the fringes and give us a more relate able story about exceptional people.
sharkenleo
You mean what Yoda did until Ep V?
sharkenleo
Easily explainable. He went into exile to make room for a better Sith, not wanting to be killed by Palpatine. There can only be two. Once Vader killed Palpatine and then died, it made room for him to reveal himself again and train his own appprentice.

And let's be honest, Maul is universally loved. Bring back what the fans want to see, and you get more $$$. Ain't rocket science.
Simplebay
AG
it should be about the struggling Rebel imperials trying to overthrow the overly and fastly corrupting power Galatcic Alliance

play up the smuggle trade. take us to backwater planets. tone down the lightsaber kung fu. build characters we give a **** about, not homages to onces already established. if a chracter is already estblished, use them. don't self-parody. do not rinse and repeat of the first hero gets the girl story.

also, give us a new kick ass villain. this is a must. hell even rip it off KOTOR if you must: Darth Malak, Darth Scion, Kreia, Darth Nihilus. just hire Drew Karpyshyn to consult on the rewrites to the screenplay
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS, I have lurked your threads for some time and have always found your insight and vision for movies extremely entertaining and just a joy to read.

You may have already done this on another thread or perhaps I missed it in this one and I apologize if I did.

I would love to get your opinion of what this movie should be. Plot, characters, charachet development, cameos from other movies, villian, ending, etc.

I am a huge SW fan, it may damage my credibility, but I thought Episode II and III were really good. Not great and nowhere near the original series, but I mostly enjoyed the ability to experience more of the SW universe and particularly the uses of a lightsaber due to the new technology we have compared to the 70's.

Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts on what you would do if you were creating this movie. I just can't picture what it; A. is going to be like or B. what it could be like if done right.

Maybe I haven't done enough reading on the subject but it would be much appreciated.

DartAg1970 - Thanks! I appreciate that.

Truth be told, I haven't really put much thought into what the actual story could be, or even what I'd ultimately want from this movie, personally. There are so many directions they could go, and so many possible scenarios, that it’d be a challenge just to list all my hopes/wants in any kind of detail. But what I can do, based on what little info is out there right now, is speculate on certain rumored aspects, if only to try and organize most of the existing info into a single post (again, it’s not much). Also, just as a disclaimer, and to re-iterate for the uninformed, they’re not using a single thing from the EU. And personally, I’ve never read anything from the EU either. So I’m coming at this solely as a fan of the movies themselves (save the prequels), without any preconceived notions of what’s been attempted in the EU already...

Hamill, Fisher and Ford

About the only solid info at this point is that these three will be back, and that their characters will be roughly the same age as the actors are in real life. So right there, we’ve got a timeframe for Episode VII, which should be about 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. No one knows how large their roles will be at this point, but I’d be willing to bet that Fisher and Ford will have smaller roles than Hamill. From what little has been implied at this point, it sounds like Luke could essentially be the Obi-Wan of this story. Probably as some kind of mentor who has to train the main character. But who knows in what capacity. In the 30-or-so years between Episode VI and VII, has Luke restored the Jedi Order, has he re-imagined it, or has he retreated to some sort of relative seclusion, and is still the last remaining Jedi? If I had to guess, I’d go with a version of the latter. I don’t imagine him being some mysterious hermit, a la Obi-Wan; rather, I’d go with some kind of Bilbo Baggins scenario, where he’s content living the simple life, wherever that may be (potentially in some kind of communication with Obi-Wan’s rumored Force-ghost). He'd then be reluctantly called into action as a mentor/trainer-type when the new threat presents itself. Going the newly-established Jedi Order route feels too prequel-ish to me. Post-Return of the Jedi, I doubt things went back to the way they were pre-Empire-taking-over. Meaning no Jedi Order, a different political system, etc. Plus, IMO, the idea of old-Luke-getting-called-into-action / not-appearing-‘til-the-second-act has more of a dramatic-reveal effect, instead of him already being some kind of established Jedi leader on Coruscant (or wherever). But again, that’s just my own personal thoughts/opinion.

The Next Generation

Rumors at this point imply that the main focus will be on the “next generation.” Now, whether or not that means the actual children of Luke, Leia and Han, who knows. But that does seem to be the case, as Han Solo’s kid is the most consistent character casting rumor at this point, while Luke’s son may also be making an appearance (though I think the latter is a potential misdirection). If I had it my way, I’d much rather focus on a different family or set of characters (i.e. not the Solos or Skywalkers), but I get why they’re likely staying with that lineage. So, based on what’s been rumored, as obvious as this sounds, Han & Leia’s kid(s) will likely either be the main character(s), or closely involved with the main character, while Luke’s son could be in the same boat. Though, who knows if Han & Leia will even be together. Because everyone expects it, that may be the exact reason to go a different direction. Either way, the other strong rumor is that the main protagonist will be a female this go-around, which makes sense. We don’t need Luke/Anakin 2.0 (or 3.0, depending on how you look at it). Seeing as The Hunger Games, Twilight, etc. are so popular now, and teen/20-something female leads are en vogue, it makes sense. Not that Abrams & co would simply follow a trend like that, but I just don’t see them going with yet another white, blonde male in his early 20s as the main protagonist. That character may exists (potentially in the form of Luke’s son), I just don’t think he’ll be the main focus. If it were up to me, regardless of the story/family being focused on, I'd probably go the female-lead route as well. So I really like this decision, if, in fact, it's what they're going with.

Palpatine & the Empire

If the rumors are true about Palpatine potentially returning as a Force-ghost - and I believe they are - then it’s pretty obvious who the villains are, and what their motivations will be. As if there was ever any question, the Sith will return yet again. Honestly, I was hoping for some new kind of new evil this go-around, but that was a pipe-dream, and likely wouldn’t make much sense thematically. The Force-ghost of Palpatine probably best-ensures the continuation of that thread. I just hope he’s not too prominently featured. What worries me more is Palpatine’s rumored apprentice, one he apparently started grooming either during or just before the events of Return of the Jedi. If we have to do the whole “always two there are” master/apprentice Sith thing again, I just hope they don’t go down the same prequel-road of doing a new Sith apprentice each movie. Dooku and Grievous were beyond forgettable, and while Maul was definitely the coolest, he wasn’t much of an actual character. With Palaptine potentially sidelined as a Force-ghost, I want a true, flesh-and-blood apprentice/villain who’s going to be around for at least a couple movies. One who has his own motivations beyond simply being Palaptine’s lacky. And that may be exactly what we’re getting, considering there could be a long, built-in history with this character. Just as long as he’s not an Episode VII-specific toy, we should be good to go. Now, whether or not the remnants of the Empire will be involved in all of this, I’m not sure. Though, I do kind of like the idea of the Empire essentially being the “Rebels” this go-around, in that they’re the ones outnumbered and on the fringes; a small, but growing threat. Then again, a fresh, new threat would definitely be my first choice.

Potential Casting / Breakdown

Back in June, an apparently Lucasfilm-verified Episode VII casting call leaked, which is still believed to be the real deal by many outlets (including TheForce.net). Its vagueness lends to its credibility, along with the fact that it doesn’t read like some kind of fanboy wish-list/fake. Usually by this point, “leaks” like this either fade from the news, or are proved as bunk, but this one has endured. Also, save for the “big three” returning from the original trilogy, the only other actor-rumors at this point with any kind of legit traction are Jonathan Rhys Meyers (as a new character) and Ryan Gosling and/or Zac Eforn (as either Han’s son, or Luke's son). So, taking those names into account, along with what I’ve mentioned as rumor above, glean what you will from these potential descriptions (which, if real, will not necessarily be billed in the order presented)...

quote:
- Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

- Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

- A late twenty-something male, fit, handsome and confident.

- Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.

- A second young female, also late-teens, tough, smart and fit.

- Forty-something male, fit, military type.

- Thirty-something male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

Again, overall, I know it’s not much, but at this point, this is really all we have. Beyond those four bullet points, anything else would be pure, baseless speculation (though, I’m sure I’ve missed a (legit) small rumor or two). It's hard to offer much insight when the parameters are this broad. But feel free to speculate - I’d really love to hear what everyone else comes up with based on this info so far.

Ultimately, I just want the movie to feel fresh. Even though it shrinks the Star Wars universe incredibly, I’ve come to accept the Skywalkers, Solos and Palpatine being forced on us once again as the main players, as long as there are enough new characters/places/ideas for it to not feel like a rehash of characters/places/ideas already presented in the first six movies. For instance, I’m hoping there won’t be a trace of Tatooine or Naboo this time, as we’ve already been-there-done-that more times than I can count. We don’t need to go back to either of those planets. And I’d be perfectly content never seeing R2 and C-3PO again either. Loved them in the original trilogy, but how about some new planets and some new droids this go-around? I'd also echo a few of Simplebay's thoughts in the previous post. Just anything that doesn't continue the stale nature of the prequels.

Thankfully, screenwriter Michael Arndt is a master story-teller, something Abrams has never had before. We all know Abrams can do action, he can do emotion, he just hasn’t had a truly great screenplay to work from yet (which I blame mostly on Kurtzman & Orci). I do believe, with the right ingredients, Abrams has an amazing Star Wars movie in him. I’m probably one of the few who actually loves his lens flares, and I genuinely can't wait for some lens-flared light saber action, which could be incredible considering Abrams’ frenetic style. And based on his Star Trek reboot, we know he can assemble and direct a killer ensemble cast, so there’s no reason to doubt he won’t do the same here. In fact, with both Trek movies, he made space feel epic and operatic again - something lacking in movies over the past couple of decades - and I truly believe those sensibilities of his will mesh better with Star Wars than they ever did with Trek.

From everything we’ve heard so far, it honestly sounds like the team behind Episode VII is doing everything they can to make sure the story is perfect. This go-around, not only do they have the advantage of knowing what not to do from the prequels, but producer Kathleen Kennedy has at least been saying all the right things. She’s recently placed an emphasis on practical effects and actual locations, which is half the battle right there. And they’re on record as saying they’re skewing more toward the original trilogy in tone (i.e. they hated the prequels, but can’t say that). So, at least on paper, this one feels right. In the coming months, around October/November, we should start hearing a lot more, so hopefully we’ll have a better idea of what to expect then...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2013 7:26p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Wonder if they'd be willing to kill off any of the original characters. A sith-orchestrated terrorist attack that kills han and Leia, throws the republic into chaos and puts the kids on the run might be a solid finale to the first film of a new trilogy, and it would remove any pressure to answer "where are Han and Leia" throughout the trilogy's entirety.
I really hope we get a non-sith villain though, and not just a retread of palpatine and his apprentices. The sith can be there, but give us a second threat.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Wonder if they'd be willing to kill off any of the original characters. A sith-orchestrated terrorist attack that kills han and Leia, throws the republic into chaos and puts the kids on the run might be a solid finale to the first film of a new trilogy, and it would remove any pressure to answer "where are Han and Leia" throughout the trilogy's entirety.
I really hope we get a non-sith villain though, and not just a retread of palpatine and his apprentices. The sith can be there, but give us a second threat.

Any and all of this would be fine by me. I suspect at least one of the big three will definitely die, it not all three of them, in Episode VII. And you're right, it'd be a good way to not have to keep them around for the other movies. Though, I could see one or two of them popping up in tiny cameo appearances (a la Old Spock in STID) in Episode VIII or IV. For emotional impact alone, one of them is a sure-goner in this one, though.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2013 9:04p).]
TCTTS
AG
Also, your Sith / second-threat comment reminded me for some reason of Philip Seymour Hoffman in Abrams' Mission: Impossible III. I've always loved that performance, and it would be cool as hell if Abrams adapted a non-Sith, second-threat villain in that same vein for Episode VII. Just a brutal, no-nonsense military-head/mastermind figure. A "regular" guy who's almost more threatening/scary than the Sith.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/20/2013 9:14p).]
LeonardSkinner
Something along the lines of Black Sun?
Simplebay
AG
Knowing Abrams....he's killing Luke. it makes perfect sense.

he will not kill Han in the first one. Nope. no.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
You mean what Yoda did until Ep V?

Yoda was in 5 of the 6 movies. Darth Maul is in one of them for 12-15 minutes and has 3-4 lines of dialogue. And not only did he get cut in half, he also fell about 1,000 feet - and yes I know he's in the cartoon with the robot legs.

Would much rather see Boba Fett back than Maul, and have some old-fashioned Jedi v. Mandalorian battles.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Something along the lines of Black Sun?

Don't know what that is.
Ulrich
I think I like the idea of Luke and Leia leading a small cadre (no more than 6) of young, new Jedi. An unknown force leads a raid on their remote training center, killing Luke early in the movie. 1-2 of the previously trained older Jedi return from journeying around the galaxy to lead the young Jedi in a quest to search out their attackers. They find that it was the Imperial remnant, led by a menacing military mastermind and an unstable but masterful Sith lord. The villains have clear motives and there is real, personal conflict between the antagonists and protagonists; it's not limited to good guys knocking down droids while evil guys cackle in secret. The Jedi defeat the Sith lord but discover a previously undiscovered but powerful and growing Imperial Remnant led by the escaped military mastermind. To Be Continued in Ep VIII.

Ep VIII is the Jedi and new republic fighting a desperate defensive action against the Empire, and Ep IX is the grand finale of the war.

I don't really like the idea of a female lead. Strong female characters, sure, but I've never been a big fan of female action leads and Star Wars has always been aimed at the male demographic.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 8/20/2013 11:06p).]
Red Five
AG
quote:
Don't know what that is.
Galactic crime syndicate.
TCTTS
AG
^ Gotcha. Thanks.
DartAg1970
AG
Wow, I like just about everything you said.I like some of the others ideas as well.

I think what gets me the most is simply the multitude of angles they can play. I tend to agree I would rather not have han leia and luke as central characters. Maybe jut in the beginning in order to tie Ep VI to Ep VII since there has been such a long time span in between.

I am sure the opening screen role will explain a lot as it always does, but I could see an opening scene having something to do with the three of them in some type of conference room discussing matters in order to keep stability within the new republic as over the past 30 years a few systems liked the old ways of the empire and want to break away. When our new sith lord or whoever it may be breaks in and fights with Luke while everyone else flees for safety ultimately ending with Luke's death.

I don't know maybe that is to short sighted or not very creative, but something to set up some kind of epic struggle that Han and Leia will not be able to deal with and they have to pass the torch to either Luke's or their own son or daughter who is visted by Luke's force ghost.

Thoughts?
agracer
AG
The only thing I have against the Thrawn trillogy is that, it's basically done in the books. It's not a new story and we all know how it ends. It also puts the old 3 main characters as the main characters again.

I hope they do something new, with the original 3 on the sidelines as supporting cast, not the main cast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.