WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,220 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read that book many times. Care to share a link about it being the sequel, as I've never heard that
Duncan Idaho
I was kidding about it being a good book. It wasn't.

But it does provide evidence that luke and leia were not orginally brother and sister.

here is something about the book/tv movie. it was pretty smart of lucas to have a contingency plan.

quote:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye
YouBet
AG
I was hoping you were kidding because that and the original Han Solo Trilogy are the only EU books I've read and all 4 are pretty bad.
Ulrich
I thought Splinter of the Mind's Eye was terrible.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Regarding Splinter, I recall that it was written by Alan Dean Foster (known for his many movie novelizations). I don't recall that the story he told was sourced from something George Lucas wrote. If that's in fact the case, then I would not take as factual evidence that the existence of this book proves that Luke and Leia were not always intended to be siblings.

It's been something on the order of 30 years since I last read that book, and I barely remember what happened other than Vader and Luke dueling and Vader falling into a pit or something.
Duncan Idaho
it was authorized by lucas. which means he agreed to the material. which means that he didn't think luke and leia were related.

quote:
According to Foster, Lucas's only request upon inspecting the manuscript was the removal of a space dogfight undertaken by Luke and Leia before crash-landing on Mimban, which would have been effects-heavy and expensive to film.

I would think that if your two leading protagonist were related you would object to the writer including an incestual subtext. But i guess the kiss in empire shows that lucas likes things a little on the arkansas side of the univers.

and then there is the question of how does liea have memories (even if they are mostly feelings) of the mother that died when she gave birth.

AMW2010
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
and then there is the question of how does liea have memories (even if they are mostly feelings) of the mother that died when she gave birth.
That would be a Jedi thing.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that are separate from the new trilogy that is also in the works, but now we may have a better idea on who they will focus on.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the first spin-offs will feature a young Han Solo and the other will be about Boba Fett. Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information to EW.

Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."

YouBet
AG
quote:
Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the first spin-offs will feature a young Han Solo

Shia Lebouf
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hell no
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
This might have been the case if the first 3 had been Episodes 1 - 3 rather than 4 - 6. Having started at 4, he then went back and did the missing episodes. What's so hard to understand about that?

They originally numbered Star Wars as Episode 4, not because there was a plan for 1-3, but because they wanted to make a sci-fi serial (they originally wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie) and by calling it "Episode 4" they made you feel like you were jumping into the middle of something.

quote:
"Star Wars" opened with a title sequence that announced it as "Episode IV" as a winking nod to the old serials, not to announce a film franchise underway, Kurtz said.

"Our plan was to do 'Star Wars' and then make 'Apocalypse Now' and do a black comedy in the vein of 'MASH,' " Kurtz said. "Fox insisted on a sequel or maybe two to 'Star Wars'.

Luke and Leia were not originally siblings, which is extremely clear if you watch it objectively. That never came up until Jedi, as a way to resolve the love triangle.

I've posted this many times, but I'll do it again. You CANNOT trust Lucas. His story has changed over and over again, and if you follow the flip-flops, it's always changed to justify his new project. Gary Kurtz is the guy with the authority and consistency to speak about the actual creative process behind Star Wars. He was there. His story has always been the same.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/12/entertainment/la-et-gary-kurtz-20100812

Lucas can do what he wants with the property. It's his. I'm not a guy that is out to get Lucas over the prequels. However, it does irk me that apologists allow him to just make stuff up to fit his latest version of history.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
quote:
Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the first spin-offs will feature a young Han Solo

Shia Lebouf
Hes so terrible. He must have lot of dirt on someone.

[This message has been edited by Txagfan (edited 2/11/2013 1:36a).]
Texaggie7nine
Shia is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I love his timing.

Velvet Jones
AG
Of course it's all made up - it's fiction.

Al Bula
AG
WTF?! Shia Leboof? That guy is a no talent ass clown.
agracer
AG
quote:
The original character was supposed to be named Anakin Starkiller, not Luke Skywalker. So the idea of an Anakin did come before a Luke. The full story arc didn't really happen until 1978, so you could argue that the original Star Wars was not about Darth Vader, but as soon as the second draft of ESB was written, the entire series was about Vader/Anakin.

Interesting. I’d always read that Lucas realized that to do the whole story the movie would be to long so he cut it to what we saw in the original 1977 Star Wars b/c he could contain enough story in that one episode to do a complete movie. The huge success of Star Wars allowed him to finish the story. It was always about Anakin though; don’t know why anyone would suggest otherwise.

quote:
They originally numbered Star Wars as Episode 4
No it wasn’t. It was originally release as just “Star Wars”. The original opening crawl never said “Episode IV: A New Hope”. That was added at the rerelease on 1981.

[This message has been edited by agracer (edited 2/11/2013 10:23a).]
Texaggie7nine
quote:
WTF?! Shia Leboof? That guy is a no talent ass clown.

Not to hijack the thread but he is far more talented at acting than most of the actors of his generation.

I understand the inclination to be annoyed by him if you are a dude, but I appreciate his comedic timing and cadence in his lines.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Maybe, but his performance in T3 was about the worst acting job I've ever seen.
fig96
AG
I'd like to think that any main characters would go back to the tradition of being lower tier/unknown types rather than Hollywood A listers. I'm interested to see the casting approach.
Texaggie7nine
I had lots of issues with T3, mainly the plot. I cannot say that Shia's acting, in particular, was one of them though.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought he was absolutely awful in that movie.
Texaggie7nine
Well the script called for an adolescent coming into adulthood yet feeling as though he's owed something because of his past. Mixed in with a little brattiness and feeling of inadequacy.

He seemed to play it perfect to me. I don't see where one would find his acting lacking.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I could not stand his trying to bring out his inner Tom Cruise and scream and overact every line. I'll give him credit that he was working with a script that that could have been written by a 4th grader, but even when he was trying to be funny, his delivery was way over the top.
Texaggie7nine
That's what makes it funny to me. He has the perfect personality to be funny in intense scenes. Especially with sarcasm.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 2/11/2013 11:58a).]
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
Q: "Disney is going to continue the 'Star Wars' saga, producing movies set to hit theaters starting in 2015. Can you confirm whether you'll reprise the role of Princess Leia?"

A: "Yes."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/carrie-fisher-reprise-role-princess-leia-star-wars-032404127--abc-news-movies.html
PatAg
AG
A movie about smuggling and being a general badass? Yes please.
Wildmen06
AG
I dident think Shia was in T3??
Prince Akeem
quote:
Hes so terrible. He must have lot of dirt on someone.

No dirt. He was a child star with Disney. Oh course they would use one of their own. He was on Even Stevens for several years.
3 William 56
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be a Jedi thing.

I always thought that she was remembering her adopted mother, the Senator played by Jimmy Smits' wife. I thought that she remembered her as she knew that her "daughter", albeit adopted, was the offspring off the 2nd in command of the evil empire, who killed thousands, and that she (her mother) always feared for her safety as his daugher. Just my .02.
FTACO97
AG
I've seen a couple of articles that make it highly likely that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are going to be in Episode VII.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/07/george-lucas-star-wars_n_2828336.html

Thoughts?

Not sure how I feel about it.

From the most recent interviews I've seen of Mark, he needs to at least attempt to get in some sort of shape before he's on a big movie again.
BBQ4Me
AG
quote:
From the most recent interviews I've seen of Mark, he needs to at least attempt to get in some sort of shape before he's on a big movie again

These are not the fat rolls you are looking for
el aggie
AG
It's not like Alex Guinness was in the same physical shape as Ewan McGregor. He'll be wearing a Jedi robe.

Also CGI.
TampaBayAg08
AG
I'll be more than happy if Ewan McGregor signs, but I'll also excited at the thought of Harrison Ford playing an older (and perhaps more refined) Han Solo.

And though many people may hate Shia Labeouf, he wasn't half bad in Lawless. He made me hate his character and I was extremely frustrated... but I'm pretty sure that was the whole point. It's probably the best "acting" I've seen him do.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
I dident think Shia was in T3??

Yeah, caught me for a second as well. Transformers 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.