WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

44,959 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Independent George
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
a superb villain

Someone that can stand their ground with the Joker... I know, not possible.
Two lightsabers at most
Real locations, not cgi
Simplebay
AG
No lens flares. Dirty and industrial, or wildlife. Not a clean look type movie
Yoda
AG
But Brian, I'm already dead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're never dead when you're one with the force.
TCTTS
AG
Wow.

From a fledgling Christian rock band in Dillon, TX... to a meth cook in Albuquerque, NM... to a potential SKYWALKER in a galaxy far, far away...

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-episode-vii-jesse-plemons-breaking-bad

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/10/2014 10:23p).]
TCTTS
AG
Freakin' love Jesse Plemons.
Simplebay
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Can't wait until somebody makes a GIF of him killing the guy in FNL and changing the pipe to a lightsaber.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Can't wait until somebody makes a GIF of him killing the guy in FNL and changing the pipe to a lightsaber.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mr. White, may the force be with you.
TCTTS
AG
A lot of good, new info from The Hollywood Reporter...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

- Michael Fassbender met with Abrams in December.

- Girls' Adam Driver is potentially up for an unspecified role (Driver, if you remember, is also apparently up for Nightwing in Batman/Superman).

- Hugo Weaving has met with Abrams for the role of an Imperial commander.

- The biggest news, though, is that "Arndt is said to have focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), with the original trilogy heroes taking on supporting roles. Abrams, however, wanted Episode VII to focus on the classic trio of characters, so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off. The new characters, the offspring, will now be in supporting roles, according to these sources, and take center stage in Episode VIII and IX. Some characters have disappeared from the Arndt script and new ones are being drafted."

Depending on how well Hamill, Ford and Fisher can actually act now, and sell these characters 30 years later, I think I'm on board with what Abrams is doing. It could be really cool to see those three front and center one last time. Especially if they actually die - or have some kind of poignant send-off - at the end of the movie. I kind of like the idea of there being this sense at the end of VII that the next generation will have to go it alone for VIII and IX. Could be a really cool moment to lead into the next movie.

Slowly - and cautiously - getting more and more excited for this one...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/11/2014 8:57p).]
TCTTS
AG
Then again, Hamill, Ford and Fisher as the leads could EASILY be a disaster waiting to happen. Abrams usually knows what he's doing when it comes to casts, though. It's the scripts that give him the most trouble...
amercer
AG
15 years ago Luke and Lelia as the main plot--maybe trying to avenge their mother as ass kicking Jedi--might have worked. In 2015? Constrained by all the episode 1-3 stuff? They'd be much better going with the kids.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Constrained by all the episode 1-3 stuff

What do you mean by that? If anything, I feel like they're basically going to ignore the prequels. Besides, in what ways would/could the prequels really affect these movies?
amercer
AG
My fan fiction idea for 8 would have started at thier moms grave (in a heavy rain of corse) with Luke and Lelia firing up thier light sabers and looking for ass to kick. 1-3 filled in a lot of little details that I think do constrain the plot. The way thier mom died, for instance.

Plus the actors themselves are, imo, too old to carry an action film--or even a space western. You can have one old guy main character in a classic western, but the whole crew?

[This message has been edited by Amercer (edited 1/11/2014 9:54p).]
amercer
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by Amercer (edited 1/11/2014 9:54p).]
TCTTS
AG
I don't know. Sounds like 1-3 constrain that particular idea more than they will the actual plot for Episode VII, one that takes place roughly 60 years after Episode III.

But I definitely agree about Hamill, Ford and Fisher probably being too old to carry the movie. To be honest, Ford is kind of unwatchable now. Just hoping Abrams can bring out what used to make him so great. I think Hamill has it in him to surprise some people, though. We'll see.

My guess is that they won't be the leads as much as they just won't be in the background, if that makes sense. A lot of screen time is going to have to be devoted to the next generation if we're to care about them going forward after this one. So I'm thinking the original three will have roles maybe slightly bigger than, say, what Michael Caine did in the Batman movies. In other words, mentors who get to participate a bit more in the action, each having a big moment or two. Then, at the end of the movie, the next generation will either get separated from them somehow, or the original three will die. However it goes down, again, I love the idea of that separation at the end of the movie and the next generation having to go it alone going forward. Could be really cool.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/11/2014 11:12p).]
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Ford is kind of unwatchable now.

I disagree.
Saxsoon
AG
I very much disagree about him being unwatchable.

I thought he did a fantastic job in 42 and even in Ender's Game

They are definitely going to be the Obi Wan's to the new generation. I imagine a pretty even split between the old and the new, with the Old getting a big fight at the end similar to Obi Wan. Now do they die, maybe Luke, I don't see the other two dying.

If you think about it, both trilogies do something similar, Qui Gon and Obi Wan/Anakin and then Obi Wan/Luke. The older shares nearly center stage with the younguns, and then dies, and the newer generation takes over. He would pretty much just be replicating a formula that has happened twice already.
Saxsoon
AG
The Force is not with this one

DannyDuberstein
AG
They're going to need a bigger rope if he and Fisher are going to do any more rope-swinging.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2348776/Star-Wars-bosses-employ-trainers-nutritionists-help-Carrie-Fisher-Mark-Hamill-lose-weight-ahead-new-movie.html
TCTTS
AG
"Unwatchable" may have been too harsh a word. I didn't see Ender's Game or 42, but everything else I've seen Ford in as of late he's played ONE character and that's grumpy-old-man-who-growls. No range, no charm. He's obviously capable of those things, and I'm confident Abrams knows how to bring out the best in him. Abrams is phenomenal with his casts & performances, so I'm not worried.

As for Hamill, Disney apparently got him a trainer and has him working out quite a bit. I doubt he does a ton of action, obviously (he'll be almost as old as Alec Guinness was when filming A New Hope), but I doubt we see a hefty, overweight Luke Skywalker on screen.

And that's a good call, Marsuvees, about the mentors dying at the end of the first movies of each trilogies. Hamill's the one who will likely bite the dust at the end of Episode VII, while Ford and Fisher will be the ones who likely get separated from the new generation. Then, maybe we see them again in a cameo or two in the next movie.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/12/2014 12:01p).]
TCTTS
AG
Looks like DannyDuberstein beat me to the punch, re: trainers.
I had a better time reading about how Hamill and Fisher are tubby than I did at half the movies I've attended over the past couple of years.

I am such a Star Wars nerd.
Not a Bot
AG
Man, they are old. Makes me feel...old.
Saxsoon
AG
Ok,he played a curmudgeon in that those movies too.

I did see a film with him this year called Paranoia where he led a large company that Thor's brother is forced to do corporate espionage on. Gary Oldman is the one who is blackmailing him to do so. Not a very big film nor liked by critics, but the best scenes had Oldman and Ford hashing it out. There were some great scenes where Ford was taking Hemsworth under his wing and grooming him, but there was a spark of mischievousness and manipulation in it. Make it a little grumpier and I think it is the Solo we are going to see.
YouBet
AG
I can't believe mark hamill is 62. Wow.
Ulrich
Mark Hamill looks a lot more like Palpatine than Skywalker these days.
Jacques
Man, Mark Hamill is big. Trainers for him and for Fisher will be great for them personally. The problem is, Fisher has a lot of personal issues. And weight is not the most of them.
Saxsoon
AG
Ulrich, that is a scary thought.

As a kid of the 90's, I still think his greatest achievement is voicing the Joker. That voice is so iconic for me. He is more the Joker than Heath Ledger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aWoNvv7aU

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 1/13/2014 1:12a).]

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 1/13/2014 1:23a).]
jr15aggie
AG
Don't worry, Jedi robes that are dark are very slimming and Jabba is dead, so no reason for our Princess to be in a bikini again. I have no worries that they will get the Hollywood treatment and look as old/young as they need to be.

All we really need is for Luke to be this crazy wise and controlled Jedi for 3/4 of the movie and then we can all geek out when he has no choice but to light up that green light saber of his and go do some real Jedi work.

It's gonna be awesome regardless.
Red Five
AG
On TCTTS's post earlier with rumors of actors possibly tagged for roles- I know they already said they wouldnt do it, but I think Hugo Weaving would kill it as Grand Admiral Thrawn.
Ulrich
Concur.
TCTTS
AG
If Weaving lands the role, he'll be the undisputed franchise king...

- The Matrix Trilogy
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Transformers (voice of Megatron)
- Marvel cinematic universe (Captain America)
- Star Wars

That's INSANE.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/13/2014 12:13p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.