WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,170 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is pretty nuts. Christopher Lee wouldn't be far behind though.

Dracula
Police Academy
Bond
Star Wars
Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Would love the radical idea of Luke being "more machine than man" - having fought 1,000 battles against enemies of the new republic since the death of Palpatine/Vader, and being half-cyborg as he endures war after war - would go a long way toward explaining his look.

Really doubt Leia will do any action, she should be President of the Universe. Would love to see Han Solo as head of a smuggler's alliance or something like that - running some huge operation.

Funny how because of the EU, I only think of Han and Leia as being married, would be funny if she hooked up with Lando, or Wedge, instead.

and off topic, but Hugo Weaving is no Megatron. Only Frank Welker can Megatron.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Oh, and Liam Neeson

Star Wars
Dark Knight Trilogy
Darkman
Taken
Anchorman 2 fight!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, Leia should definitely be in a diplomatic position. I don't think it would be easy to sell her in an action role these days.

Harrison on the other hand could probably still pull some action off, guy's still in great shape.
Is there any chance that Disney will put Return of the Jedi in theaters later this year?

They could cut it up into five or six parts and show those segments before or even after other Disney movies that are released throughout the next year and a half. Lucas says he always liked serials...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What ever happened to re-releasing all the movies in 3D? I went to see Phantom Menace, but haven't heard any news about an upcoming AOTC re-release.

Nevermind, seems they put that on hold. Missed the news a year ago. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-postpones-3d-release-star-416143

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 1/14/2014 9:56a).]
agforlife97
AG
Only thing I ask is that they hire someone decent to write the dialogue. The 3 most recent movies had some of the worst dialogue in the history of mankind.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Actually, if you take a modification of the Khan adaptation Cumberbatch did for Star Trek Into Darkness, I can see Cumberbatch being a very scary good Thrawn.

But again, it sounds like we will not get a chance to see Thrawn, which is a crying shame.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Only thing I ask is that they hire someone decent to write the dialogue. The 3 most recent movies had some of the worst dialogue in the history of mankind.

The original 3 weren't exactly Shakespeare either
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No, but "I love you. I know" may be the best exchange in movie history.
TCTTS
AG
Re: Episode VII dialogue...

- Abrams is a pretty good, if not great, writer (with a few hiccups, obviously). Far better than Lucas, anyway. Most notably, Abrams co-wrote the pilot for Lost and also co-wrote Armageddon (which is dumb, but a ton of fun). He also created/wrote Felicity & Alias.

- Lawrence Kasdan is co-writing with Abrams. Kasdan wrote three indies you might have heard of... The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Also, The Big Chill.

- And I'd be willing to bet that some of Michael Arndt's original draft dialogue likely made it over to the Abrams/Kasdan draft(s) as well. Arndt is the first screenwriter in history to be nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay AND Best Adapted Screenplay.

So, yeah... I'd say we're in pretty good hands.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/14/2014 11:54a).]
Bruce Almighty
AG
The dialogue in Return of the Jedi is almost as bad as the prequels.
"You Rebel scum"
Ulrich
quote:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
YouBet
AG
If you read Star Wars before actually seeing the movie you would think a fourth grader wrote it. It's horrifically bad.

Fortunately, the movie is awesome.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
No, but "I love you. I know" may be the best exchange in movie history.

and it wasn't scripted.

Let's not forget that Abrams thought it was a good idea to have felicity cut her hair.
Duncan Idaho
by the way, the simpsons knocked it out of the park with this little spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c1pmr_Ird4
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Harrison on the other hand could probably still pull some action off, guy's still in great shape.

But he's starting to SERIOUSLY mail it in.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
But he's starting to SERIOUSLY mail it in.
Simplebay
AG

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 1/15/2014 11:58a).]
agracer
AG
quote:
No, but "I love you. I know" may be the best exchange in movie history

That was ad-libbed by Harrison Ford. The original dialog had him say “I love you too” or something like that. Ford said that he didn’t think Han Solo would reply that was so he threw his own line out there.

quote:
I can see Cumberbatch being a very scary good Thrawn

Please, no Thrawn! We already know the story from the books. I’d rather be surprised by a new direction. That an clones of everyone and their dog….books did not end well. wasn't the emperor cloned b/c someone found his hand on Endor or something...ugg.
HeadGames
AG
quote:
Please, no Thrawn! We already know the story from the books. I’d rather be surprised by a new direction. That an clones of everyone and their dog….books did not end well. wasn't the emperor cloned b/c someone found his hand on Endor or something...ugg.

I believed they retrieved his DNA from his personal toilet seat in the emperor's "Throne room".
Bocephus85
AG
quote:

I don't know about that, but I thought the canon was that the emperor had a bunch of clones of himself made just incase and stashed away somewhere safe.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I don't know about that, but I thought the canon was that the emperor had a bunch of clones of himself made just incase and stashed away somewhere safe.

I've never understood this theory in movies... why would anybody do this. There was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie that dealt with cloning and none of it made any sense. You lose an arm, a leg, or if you simply die no worries cause you got clones. But that isn't exactly self preservation... you are still just as dead and some jerk off clone gets to live your life.

I'm sorry, but if I walked in on a clone me in bed with my wife, I would shoot myself w/out even thinking about it... not shoot myself, I'd shoot me, the other me that is... because I'm the real me and the clone me is touching my wife... then again, oh crap, what if I really am a clone that got woken up by accident and I just killed the real me... see how clones just make a real mess of everything!!!

[This message has been edited by jr15aggie (edited 1/15/2014 12:42p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The Thrawn books had a insane clone of some old republic jedi as one of the main villains alongside Thrawn. No clones of the emperor. Originally, the author wanted the bad guy to be an insane clone of Obi Wan Kenobi, but Lucas nixed it. (A good call).

I think I heard there was a comic book full of emperor clones... Never read it, though.
Ulrich
I think it would be neat to have Thrawn + insane dark Jedi in the movies, but not bother with all the clone BS or even work that hard to follow the story line. They are just good characters.
benMath08
AG
quote:
I've never understood this theory in movies... why would anybody do this. There was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie that dealt with cloning and none of it made any sense. You lose an arm, a leg, or if you simply die no worries cause you got clones. But that isn't exactly self preservation... you are still just as dead and some jerk off clone gets to live your life.

I think the excuse is extreme narcissism, but I agree it's a little weird unless you can actually transfer your consciousness. Who knows, with the force anything is possible.
Ag Since 83
AG
There was a cloned emperor in one of the comic stories that takes place a few years after the Thrawn trilogy. Dark Empire, I think it was called? Cloning also played a role in the Hand of Thrawn series about ten years later.

I have said repeatedly I would love to see the Thrawn trilogy (or anything Zahn wrote, really) adapted on the screen, but have given up hope of it. It would require them to recast the main characters, which apparently isn't allowed according to some people. Also, it was written before we knew about Kamino and that all the clones were Jango Fett, so the cloning story would need to be retconned a bit.

I do hope they at least make references to some of the EU, and maybe include some of the better characters (Mara, Corran, Karrde, etc.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My brother and I have often talked bout how they could make an animation version of the Thrawn Trilogy and make zillions on it.

Love or hate Zahn, he still gave us Thrawn, Pellaeon, Mara Jade, Joruus C'Baoth, the Noghri, and Talon Karrde and his entire smuggling operation. I've probably read the first three novels of his 10 times each and they never get old, ditto with the Hand of Thrawn duology.

Best line from the Thrawn trilogy? Lando and Luke fighting some pirates and Lando calls out, "Hey, put your weapons down, this is Luke Skywalker, the guy who took out Darth Vader!"
double aught
AG
You guys are nerding up the Star Wars thread!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Best line from the Thrawn trilogy? Lando and Luke fighting some pirates and Lando calls out, "Hey, put your weapons down, this is Luke Skywalker, the guy who took out Darth Vader!"

Ha. So in the EU, it never becomes public knowledge that Vader was Luke's father, I'm guessing?
Red Five
AG
Why would it? From a P.R. perspective, there is no way the New Republic publicize the fact that the most notorious mass murderer in galactic history was the father of the Rebellion's greatest hero. Especially given the fact that Luke was a Jedi, and would already be viewed with suspicion by a galaxy that most readily associates the Force with being under the boot heel of the Empire.

Luke, for his part, never has a problem with telling people that, and even goes out of his way at times to bring it up to make sure everyone knows that his dad was good in the end. Especially once he starts the Jedi Academy.

Lando for sure knew when he said that, but its not something the New Republic would have been blasting all over whatever their version of TMZ was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Especially given the fact that Luke was a Jedi, and would already be viewed with suspicion by a galaxy that most readily associates the Force with being under the boot heel of the Empire.

Holy ****, this just made me really excited for the new movie, for some reason. I bet Jedi are generally not trusted in the New Republic, and are somewhat seen as anti-heroes. I think that will be an interesting change.
Simplebay
AG
discrimination against Jedi has got to be in there
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Eh, I don't know about a galaxy full of Jedi hate. The empire only lasted what, 20-30 years? However old Luke and Leia are supposed to me. And then what, this takes place another 20 or so years after that?

So when anyone 1-20 thinks of a Jedi, they think of heroic Luke skywalker, who for all they know killed darth vader, the emperor and saved the galaxy. Anyone 20-45 (I'm assuming the empire lasted roughly 25 years) thinks of luke, vader and the emperor when they think Jedi, so they might be hesitant but they still know luke saved them. Anyone 45+ was actually alive during the old republic and might remember when the Jedi were the peacekeepers of the galaxy, and will almost certainly realize "when the Jedi were all killed, **** went to hell in a hand basket."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.