WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,230 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha, my bad. Busy day and I was skimming

As penance, enjoy this concept art from the greatest Star Wars game we'll probably never see (and let's hope they borrow some of those ideas for the movie).

Simplebay
AG
And so at least 3/4 of that blowing his nutt will be all over me cu think Winter 2015 is retarded
TCTTS
AG
???
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simple, you drunk?
Farmer1906
AG
Let's just put a ban on release date talk.

Who thinks there will be 2 sided light sabers again?
benMath08
AG
Darth Maul's lightsaber was one of the best parts of the prequels. I hope the restriction on lightsaber color is lifted as well.
ChipFTAC01
AG
What was the restriction on lightsaber color?
benMath08
AG
Green/blue for light side
Red for dark side
Purple for Samuel L Jackson

edit: the extended universe (books and video games) makes use of all sorts of color crystals: yellow, silver, black, orange, etc etc. Also some pretty cool concepts like dual-phase sabers that change length and color.

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 11/6/2013 3:53p).]
I remember Luke's green lightsaber blowing my little kid mind.
jeffk
AG
I would have a yellow and a blue one.
redline248
AG
Didn't the conehead in the prequels have a yellow one?

Edit: nope. It was blue, according to screenshot of the scene he dies

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 11/6/2013 11:06p).]
Simplebay
AG
http://collider.com/jj-abrams-lawrence-kasdan-star-wars-episode-7-writing/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duck Fisney. Their stubbornness about 2015 is ridiculous.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh this gon be good...

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-to-open-december-18-2015.html

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/7/2013 3:22p).]
TCTTS
AG

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/7/2013 3:35p).]
Farmer1906
AG
Uhh guys I banned all release date talk.

Back to the important stuff. What will Darth Vader's ghost look like in the new series?
BigTimeAlum
AG
Nice to see the creative guys win out over the finance guys.

In other news, Disney stock down 3%.
Simplebay
AG
NOOOOOOOOOO.

Nah in all honesty I dont really care as long as the final product is good. Think its pretty evident summer 2015 was never happening, sacking Arndt got them the December date. But I still wish this would be a summer tentpole, as do the filmmakers. This is clearly a Disney (hopefully not stupid) push
Yoda
AG
TCTTS definitely earned a victory lap today.
redline248
AG
quote:
TCTTS definitely earned a victory lap today.

Adjust your sentence structure you should.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Nice to see the creative guys win out over the finance guys.

Wrong. Abrams wanted 2016.
Rudyjax
AG
That is horrible for the main reason this movie is being made.

http://youtu.be/PQEVgbMqq7o
TCTTS
AG
I really do think it'll make more money theatrically opening in December than it would have in May. Just like Titanic & Avatar, it won't have any legit competition for MONTHS. Otherwise, it would have hit right in the middle of the biggest summer in history. Yes, it would have won the summer handily, but you can't argue that Avengers/JP4/Terminator/ID42/BvsS wouldn't have taken money away it'll no doubt earn without those films on the Jan/Feb slate.

It obviously won't be enough to make up for the holiday merchandise push had it opened in May, but it's not like the toys won't sell at Christmas regardless. All it'll take is a couple trailers prior to November, and kids will already have anything & everything Episode VII on their Christmas lists.
Simplebay
AG
Not a matter of what makes more money. If the creative heads behind the movie want summer 2016, if for no other reason than to make a better product, I genuinely believed Disney wouldn't be stupid enough to not give it to em

[This message has been edited by simplebay (edited 11/7/2013 6:57p).]
BigTimeAlum
AG
It's two selling seasons for the toys as opposed to one. The merchandise numbers are huge. You sell once when you get the summer movie blitz and sell again for the holidays. With a winter release, you only get one big push.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry TCTTS, but I disagree. This movie is competition-proof. You could release it literally any day of the year, I don't care if it's a Monday in February or smack in the middle of June, and it will make its money. The people that want to see it will see it, regardless of what else is out. Sure the opening weekend might suffer, but in the long run they'll get their nut.

Literally zero reason to rush it to make a Winter 2015 release date. And agree with the above poster about doubling down on the merchandising seasons.
gravy97
AG
but if there is nothing else worth seeing in the following months of the release... you will have people returning to see it a second and third and fourth time... in the summer, those repeat dollars might go to the other movies rather than all into the starwars nut
TCTTS
AG
It's not a coincidence that the two biggest movies of all time - Titanic and Avatar - came out the exact weekend Episode VII is now set for. If Episode VII hit in May '15 as originally planned, something like Jurassic Park 4 would have certainly taken money away from it in June that some crappy, low-budget thriller won't take away from it in January (now that it's being released in December).

Yes, everyone who wants to see Star Wars will see Star Wars, regardless what time of year it's released. But the difference is, those who'd be seeing it for a third or fourth time in January likely wouldn't have done so in June, with so many other huge movies coming out. In January/February, Episode VII for a third or fourth time trumps everything else that's out. Those are two of the worst release months of the year. But in May/June, JP4, Terminator, ID42, Pixar, etc easily trumps a third or fourth viewing of Episode VII. You can't argue that. And repeat-viewings like that are what separate the all-timers from everything else.

No competition = more money, no matter the movie. It's as simple as that. Even Forbes, as of this morning, is agreeing with what I'm saying...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/11/08/star-wars-episode-7-now-in-prime-position-to-dethrone-avatar/

Though, as I said earlier, I completely agree that there was more money to be made from merchandise had the movie come out in May, well in advance of the holiday season. My only points were that the merchandise will still make a huge chunk of change in December (though obviously not as much), and that the movie itself will make more money theatrically coming out in December. The proof is in the history/trends.

Would May '15 have been ideal? Absolutely. But that's what happens when you claim a release date before hiring any of the talent and are a company the size of Disney, with promises to your stockholders to fulfill.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/8/2013 12:59p).]
TCTTS
AG
Ha, great minds think alike, gravy97. Must have been typing as you posted that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If it was as simple as that, every blockbuster would come out in December. Fact of the matter is, quality will always trump lack of competition in the end. You put out a mediocre SW movie in December, and a great one in May, I guarantee you the great one makes more money in the end.

For a concrete example, look at the Harry Potter series. They alternated between winter and summer releases, with little effect on the box office. In fact, a quick wiki search says that Order of the Phoenix, a summer release, made more than Goblet of Fire, a winter release. Why? Built in audience. Exact same thing with Star Wars. People that want to watch it 4 or 5 times will. The competition would only hurt this kind of movie very marginally, maybe $5 or $10 million less, which is peanuts.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If it was as simple as that, every blockbuster would come out in December.

Yes, you're right. This strategy would make complete sense.

quote:
You put out a mediocre SW movie in December, and a great one in May, I guarantee you the great one makes more money in the end.

Ummm... yeah? This has to be the most obvious statement in the entire thread. Yet, the point you're trying to make is completely lost. My whole argument hinges on all things being equal. Meaning, the SAME Star Wars movie released in December would make more than the SAME Star Wars movie released in May. I mean, we're not even having the same argument if you're saying the theoretical December version of the movie is worse than the May version.

Me: "I think Lebron James will score more points vs. the Wizards." You: "No, I think LeBron will score more points vs. the Pacers." Me: "Ok, but the Wizards are consistently one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, so he'd probably have an easier time against them than against the Pacers, who have one of the best defenses in the NBA." You: "Yeah, but if Lebron was playing with a BROKEN ARM against the Wizards, I guarantee you he'd have more points against the Pacers if he was completely healthy." Me: "Ummm... yeah?"

quote:
For a concrete example, look at the Harry Potter series. They alternated between winter and summer releases, with little effect on the box office. In fact, a quick wiki search says that Order of the Phoenix, a summer release, made more than Goblet of Fire, a winter release.

This isn't a "winter" vs. "summer" thing. If not released in the summer, the Harry Potter movies came out in NOVEMBER, not December. Again, you're talking about an unrelated scenario. I'm specifically referring to the week before Christmas. Movies released in November still have to compete with all the big December releases. Yet, the sole blockbuster released in the later half of December has to compete with virtually nothing throughout all of January/February.
benMath08
AG
How bout you fellas make a separate thread to debate the merits of movie releases at different parts of the year and wave your dicks around over there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You seem to have missed my point. My point is - don't rush the film to make an arbitrary December 2015 release date and risk a mediocre product. Much better if they focus on making a good movie and not worry about release dates so much. A summer release will not hurt a Star Wars movie much, because it's an established franchise with a large fanbase and a built-in audience.

I'm not saying the exact same movie wouldn't make more in December. I'm saying that for a Star Wars movie, the difference between that and a summer release would be negligible, once looking at final worldwide gross.

The risk of a bad movie outweighs whatever money they think they'll gain with a December release. Focus on making the movie good, and they will make their money.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/8/2013 5:36p).]
TCTTS
AG
December 2015 ins't a rush. No one ever said that. That's plenty of time to make the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Abrams and Kennedy didn't seem to think so. They were asking for 2016 and were denied.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.