WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,246 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does star wars have to do with the Lakers?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Maybe the Lakers are Star Wars fans?
YouBet
AG
Landos gained some weight. Needs to lay off the popcorn.
sharkenleo
When there's a entertaining fight going on, it's commonplace to post a gif of someone eating popcorn.

I'm sure simple enjoyed the fact that it was Lakers-themed.
Simplebay
AG
attaboy shark. there's only one better

Urban Ag
AG
I could watch her forearm touch up against her left fun bag all afternoon. Over and over again.
Duncan Idaho
The only two things I want to hear about the new stars wars is that these two lines are included in the script to roll back the two biggest screw ups of the most recent movies with the star wars name (midichlorians and Vader's immaculate conception)

quote:
Unchecked passion can be as wasteful. The jedi were blinded by their desire to find the source of the force that they could see midichlorians are just attracted to The Force.

and

quote:
Leia, I have been reading Emperor Palpatine's journals and he details all of his "conquests" during his rise to power....including his time on tatooine...he mentions a beautiful slave and the junk dealer that owned her.
TCTTS
AG
More speculation on when we might hear something official...

For the past three Thursdays, the official Star Wars site has released - one-by-one via YouTube - the original teaser trailers for the original trilogy...

http://www.youtube.com/user/starwars/videos

Two weeks ago today was the first-ever teaser for A New Hope. Last Thursday was the teaser for The Empire Strike Back. And then today, right on schedule, was the first teaser for Return of the Jedi (then called "Revenge of the Jedi"). This unusual (for Lucasfilm) series of reveals has lead many to believe that Disney/Lucasfilm is likely building up to the release of the previously-mentioned Episode VII teaser, along with some official news, either later TODAY or NEXT THURSDAY.

Also, Coming Soon just tweeted this a few minutes ago...

ComingSoon.net ‏@comingsoonnet
CS might explode today....

Granted, they could be referring to the Captain America and X-Men footage that just hit... or the fact that big news is about to hit on top of those reveals this morning (those two footage-reveals aren't THAT big of a deal on their own).

We'll see what happens...
sharkenleo
If we get major SW news, the internet will explode.
TCTTS
AG
Just had an idea...

The Empire Strikes Back teaser Lucasfilm released last week is made up entirely of concept art. No footage whatsoever. What if that's the angle they're taking with a potential Episode VII teaser?

Like I said earlier, if the rumored teaser actually exists, it will obviously have to be specially-made, since production doesn't begin until early next year. Considering his bent toward nostalgia, I could totally see Abrams doing a throw-back kind of thing, giving us an internet-only teaser, consisting almost exclusively of Episode VII concept art, potentially with a live-action shot of old-Luke at the end (since Hamill's involvement in a teaser has been rumored as well).

Would be a pretty cool tease, without giving much away, while also offering at least at glimpse of what to expect...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 1:11p).]
URDeparted
Just had the same thought after watching all those teasers.

I can't wait until they release something...I don't care if it is only concept art.
TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This has me fondly remembering when the first Phantom Menace trailer came out. You could see it twice in the movie theater if you went to see "The Waterboy" - once before and once after. The next day it was online, but even the smallest quicktime movie took hours to load because everyone had crap connections and a zillion people were trying to download it at once. They debuted it later that night on Entertainment Tonight with Mary Hart doing the honors.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
This has me fondly remembering when the first Phantom Menace trailer came out. You could see it twice in the movie theater if you went to see "The Waterboy" - once before and once after. The next day it was online, but even the smallest quicktime movie took hours to load because everyone had crap connections and a zillion people were trying to download it at once. They debuted it later that night on Entertainment Tonight with Mary Hart doing the honors.

I remember this vividly. Except it was attached to Enemy of the State for me, which a group of us went to see. Afterward, there was a reporter in the lobby interviewing people who saw the trailer. She asked our group if we came specifically for the trailer, I said yes, then when she asked my name, I gave her the name of one of our friends who wasn't with us. My friends then played along, saying "I" was the biggest Star Wars freak ever (I wasn't), had all the toys (I didn't), etc. The next morning, the article was front page of the paper, with my buddy's name as the focus, in relation to the whole Phantom Menace trailer craze. We were in high school at the time, played football, etc., and the article made him sound like the biggest nerd ever. Still gives me crap to this day for doing that to him.

And yeah, I remember waiting HOURS for the QuickTime file of the trailer to load over our modem connection. First time I'd ever heard of QuickTime, which I think was introduced right around the trailer debut (it may have even been introduced for the trailer). Every time someone would call our second line, the modem connection would reset. Literally took me days to finally download the whole thing. In the mean time, I recorded on VHS both the Entertainment Tonight and E! News premieres of the trailer, and watched those more times than I care to admit. Kind of amazing how "shared" that whole experience was for everyone back then.

And damn it, now I'm even more excited for some kind of news / teaser debut...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 1:40p).]
sharkenleo
quote:
And yeah, I remember waiting HOURS for the QuickTime file of the trailer to load over our modem connection. First time I'd ever heard of QuickTime, which I think was introduced right around the trailer debut (it may have even been introduced for the trailer). Every time someone would call our second line, the modem connection would reset. Literally took me days to finally download the whole thing. In the mean time, I recorded on VHS both the Entertainment Tonight and E! News premieres of the trailer, and watched those more times than I care to admit. Kind of amazing how "shared" that whole experience was for everyone back then.

And you weren't a SW geek?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, up until that movie, not really. The hype for that one definitely turned me into one, though. But once it actually hit theaters, my newly-aquired SW geekness went away pretty fast. Until I was somehow sucked in again for Episode II. Finally learned my lesson by Episode III.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 2:02p).]
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Here's some actual news, and it's pretty big. Looks like Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have assumed sole writing responsibilities...

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-episode-vii-j-j-abrams-lawrence-kasdan-assume-screenwriting-duties/

Abrams had been working with Michael Arndt, who wrote the initial draft, and was working on the script before Abrams was hired.

Re: the news, here's a bunch of (very) recent tweets from Devin Faraci, who's definitely in the know when it comes to everything Episode VII...

Hark Mumphrey ‏@mumphrey
@devincf this may be obvious, but how much of the EPISODE VII silence could be attributed to story clashes between Abrams and Lucas?

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@mumphrey Lucas has no real say.

Hark Mumphrey ‏@mumphrey
@devincf I know Lucas is a consultant at best, but I just can't imagine him and Abrams NOT butting heads over Lucas' baby

Hark Mumphrey ‏@mumphrey
@devincf at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams junked Lucas' outlines, they had to start from scratch, and now they're stuck

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf 1h
@mumphrey they definitely started from scratch very late in the process.

(Right around this point in the convo, the screenwriting news hits)

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
Re: STAR WARS screenwriter news… I've been saying this for a while, but most recently as today.

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
I really want the STAR WARS trolls to come at me now claiming I was lying about a December 2015 release.

Larry Wright ‏@refocusedmedia
@devincf I don't know if this is old news or not but - https://twitter.com/refocusedmedia/status/393108483945799682…

(Wright links to a potential casting call referencing a February - July 2014 shoot)

Devin Faraci @devincf
@refocusedmedia they actually moved it BACK - starts shooting in March now. They may yet move it back again.

Germain Lussier ‏@GermainLussier
I'm stunned. Michael Ardnt has left Star Wars Episode VII as screenwriter, leaving duties to Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams.

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@GermainLussier if what I've heard is true, it's a MAJOR shift in the story as result.

Andy Khouri ‏@andykhouri
@devincf So the Arndt script is dunzo?

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@andykhouri yeah, and in a big way. Like, scrapped in total. At least from what I've heard.

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm
@devincf @GermainLussier from what i understand, this has been brewing for a long while

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@slashfilm @germainlussier this is what prompted the 'Abrams is leaving' rumors - he didn't want the Arndt script

Devin Faraci‏ @devincf
@slashfilm @germainlussier they announced it now, but they scrapped Arndt's script around Comic Con at the latest

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@ChrisLikesDinos I don't know about quality, but JJ didn't like it.

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@ChrisLikesDinos he had a lot of fights w/ Lucasfilm beyond the script, including filming locations & schedules.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 3:43p).]
TCTTS
AG
And now here's Faraci's write-up on the whole mess...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/10/24/arndt-off-star-wars-vii-kasdan-and-abrams-are-the-new-writers/
TCTTS
AG
In a nutshell...

- Lucas had very broad outlines for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney last year. Arndt was then hired to write and develop an Episode VII script, based on Lucas' outline(s).

- Abrams was then hired as director months later, but apparently wasn't a huge fan of Arndt's work on the script up until that point. Abrams then worked with Arndt to try and get the script to his liking.

- This never quite happened, and the entire Lucas/Arndt storyline was apparently scrapped/retooled (as late as this past July, but probably earlier). Arndt was then fired, and Abrams/Kasdan took over sole writing responsibilities, which we're just now hearing about.

In other words, this now explains the complete lack of official news over the summer. This also means, once and for all, there's absolutely NO WAY Episode VII hits theaters summer 2015. According to Faraci, even December 2015 is now in question, and it could even be pushed back to summer 2016. In fact, based on this news, if I had to bet, summer 2016 definitely now seems the most likely release date...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 3:44p).]
TCTTS
AG
A bit more from Faraci...

Russ Fischer ‏@russfischer
With pre-production ongoing, how many already designed set pieces do Abrams & Kasdan have to work into their new script?

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@russfischer this has been the nature of the film from the beginning. They inherited designs from before buyout.

Bill Graham ‏@cablebfg
@devincf @russfischer THEY'VE BEEN BUILDING SETS? I can help them light money on fire. Give it here

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
@cablebfg @russfischer it's the Millennium Falcon and stuff like that - stuff they'll use no matter what.
TCTTS
AG
A really great summery/take on all this from Drew at HitFix...

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/jj-abrams-and-lawrence-kasdan-take-control-of-star-wars-script-as-spring-start-date-approaches
sharkenleo
Pretty big news. It had me worried at first about the script. But then I realized that it's in the hands of JJ Abrams (a massive SW geek) and Lawrence Kasdan (writer of Empire Strikes Back), and I realized it couldn't possibly be in better hands.

I do hope they use at least a part of Lucas' notes though. It is "his" universe after all.

And about Summer 2016, that's what I've had my money on from day 1.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/24/2013 3:22p).]
TCTTS
AG
Here's this quote from the press release...

quote:
"Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release."

First time they haven't said "spring/summer 2015" release. It's now just a vague, "expected 2015 release." And "expected" buys them all sorts of room. Specifically, for a push to 2016 if necessary.

Like I've been saying (and arguing) for months now... summer 2015 ain't happening. If it was, an official date would have been announced a long time ago. Was always as simple as that.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 10/24/2013 3:30p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I do hope they use at least a part of Lucas' notes though. It is "his" universe after all.

I think they will. Like Drew says in his article, the "spine" of Arndt's script likely remains. Too much pre-production design and set building has already been completely for it not too. My guess is that it's the same, basic story, with the focus likely switched to a different character, or set of characters. Something like that.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
and I realized it couldn't possibly be in better hands.

This will also put any fears to rest. Pretty phenomenal list...

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/star-wars-episode-7-excitement/13926
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
Whoever writes the unauthorized making of EPISODE VII book already has my money.
Simplebay
AG
Excellent. Always said from the beginning i wasnt sold on Arndt
TCTTS
AG
To circle back to what I was talking about before all the commotion, this news could be - and likely is - the official "chatter" everyone was hearing about over these past couple of weeks. This likely means no more official news - and definitely no potential teaser - for a while.

In fact, that report I linked to days ago is now seeming more and more accurate. It said an announcement teaser wouldn't be released until April with Disney's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Seems extremely plausible now, and would be a great way to announce the start of filming, which is now reported to be March. So we still have a ways to go, yet...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Can we get a T-shirt made with Abrams holding a DL-44 standing over Ardnt's body with the caption "JJ shot first"?
Texaggie7nine
Que the hallelujah music.

Rudyjax
AG
The problem with the prequels was no Laurence Kasden.

This is good news.
URDeparted
This is fantastic news. Was not sold on Ardnt at all.

I don't mind them pushing back the release date at all. I think Abrams is well aware what is at stake with this movie to get it right. I'm hopeful Disney begins to understand this as well.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly one year ago today, the Disney acquisition of LucasFilm + Star Wars Episode VII was officially announced, and it nearly broke the internet. To mark the occasion, /Film has a pretty great/comprehensive rundown of everything we know up until this point...

http://www.slashfilm.com/one-year-later-everything-we-know-about-star-wars-episode-vii/
TCTTS
AG
Another Thursday, another couple articles about more drama. Seems Kennedy and Lucasfilm have been pushing hard for 2016, but Disney isn't budging on 2015...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-disney-651482

Deven Faraci then followed up THR's piece with his own take, where he says Abrams has actually been pushing for 2016 as well. But again, 2015 is set in stone, apparently, because of the stockholders, merch, etc...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/10/31/disney-hellbent-on-releasing-star-wars-episode-vii-in-2015/

Despite Iger's/Disney's wishes, we know summer 2015 ain't happening. If Abrams & co are pushing for summer 2016, ain't no way they'll be able to deliver a full YEAR ahead of that. Once again, December '15 seems like the best compromise. But we'll see.

Either way, I just want all this settled. Hard to believe this movie was announced a year + one day ago, and we still don't have an actual release date, title, or any official casting. Crazy.
Simplebay
AG
i feel like i've seen this before.

quote:
Simplebay posted 3:09p, 08/19/13

this is one of the most important movie releases of all time. they have a tried and true forumla with this franchise, and they're not gonna break the mold of the franchise, or try to shift the stigma of summer movie tentpoles.

they may be playing around with December (which is what your bloggers are running with), but ultimately if they can't make the Summer 2015 deadling (which I do agree they may miss), it'll go back to Summer '16.

quote:
Simplebay posted 4:41p, 08/19/13

i actually am in agreement that it may not make summer 2015, but on the chance it doesnt: Summer '16. a tough push, and they shouldn't rush it.

im of the opinion that thanks to Geroge Lucas they're screwed no matter what.

Summer 2015: "omg too soon! it's been rush, gonna suck."
Christmas 2015: "wtf a winter star wars? did this series of movies not define the summer movie season as we know it? gonna suck"
Summer 2016: "omg they're taking to long, lol reshoots, gonna suck."

i still think pushing for summer 2015 is the best option though. You don't break the mold by "risking" the Christmas market (Abrams is not Jim Cameron, and he plays by a different set of rules). If summer '15 we don't have to endure another year of Abrams' super secretive top secret crap (which has already gotten old) for the marketing. Don't do secret stuff, make it grandoise, timeless, classic, and Star Wars-y. This shouldn't be a secret, so someone tell the Bad Robot marketing team to gtfo. If they do what they did to Khan with like Luke's kid or a main character im gonna barf. they should've just said he was Khan. no need to beat us over the heads with I am Your Father's. Hell, there doesn't even really NEED to be a major twist. Just take us on a classic ride.

Abrams and his crew apparently work VERY efficiently, and Disney will give them anything they want. that bodes well for a Summer '15 release. After that their next best option is get it right, and set the summer '16 season off with a bang

[This message has been edited by Simplebay (edited 10/31/2013 1:28p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.