WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

44,975 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
FTACO97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why would Ewan McGregor sign? His character died in the original Star Wars played by Alec Guinness.....
benMath08
AG
quote:
Why would Ewan McGregor sign? His character died in the original Star Wars played by Alec Guinness.....

Force ghost? Can you say Ghostbusters / Star Wars mashup?
Dread Pirate Roberts
If they use something from the EU, they'll have to pay a lot of money to the original writer. Could be worth it if the story's a perfect fit.
AliasMan02
AG
More and more sounds like Disney feels compelled to make a "bridge film." Worked great in Star Trek Generations. Ugh. Hopefully it won't be a "bridge trilogy."

But, Disney hasn't screwed up the good work that Marvel Entertainment did, so here's hoping that it all works out.
sharkenleo
Make Luke the new Obi-Wan, bring in a descendant of Yoda, and possibly a half-cyborg Darth Maul. That would be pretty badass.
Lestat02
Serious question...

Would Disney do a re-boot ala Star Trek?

I want to say no but before Star Trek was released in 2009, I never would have thought the idea of somebody other than William Shatner playing Kirk would have been accepted.
sharkenleo
No. Luke, Han, and Leia are way more beloved than Kirk and Spock, IMO.

You can't have anyone play Han except Harrison Ford.
Kampfers
AG
They would never do a reboot like that. I do wish they would break away completely from the old series, however, but I doubt that happens now.
sharkenleo
No need to break away completely. Everyone loves the original trilogy, and Disney will get asses in seats from the nostalgia factor alone.

Obviously they will need new characters and plotlines, but they need to keep some common threads and old characters, if only for the first, "bridge" movie.
BBQ4Me
AG
Maybe they could do a plot where the Rebels have taken over the empire/senate. However, power goes to their head and Luke becomes dark. Of course, that would just be similar in some ways to Episodes 1-3
sharkenleo
And honestly, one of the biggest things for me is John Williams.

PLEASE bring him back. It just wouldn't be Star Wars without his music.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
No need to break away completely. Everyone loves the original trilogy, and Disney will get asses in seats from the nostalgia factor alone.

Exactly. Everyone loves the original trilogy. By creating these movies with an explicit link to the original 3 (like by bringing back Han, Luke, etc), you are ensuring that these new movies never eclipse the old ones. These movies won't create a legacy like the original three did, they will just be a part of the legacy of the original three. That doesn't mean they will be bad movies, just that they will forever be in the shadow of the originals and thus won't stand apart as great movies.

The Star Wars name is all you need to put asses in seats. Keeping the original characters only hurts this movie in terms of being an original, unique creation that can spark it's own legacy and sequels.
Simplebay
AG
TC rumors are abounding that Abrams is about to drop out due to scheduling conflicts with the studio

say it ain't so
sharkenleo
I would be very surprised. There's not a bigger SW fanboy out there than JJ. This is his dream project.
aTmAg
AG
That would be the public reason given rather than "artistic differences"
Saxsoon
AG
LucasFilms is denying the rumors.
Simplebay
AG
Zac Efron and Ryan Gosling are apparently up for roles in the movie.

Holy hell
Mameluke
AG
Ryan Gosling is a pretty good actor

dont know anything about Efron
Saxsoon
AG
Latino Review is pretty set that Gosling will be Solo's son. I am actually okay with that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
not sure why Gosling gets hate but he's a decent actor.
Saxsoon
AG
He is a great actor, see Place Between the Pines.
Post removed:
by user
Ulrich
Gosling is good, he probably just gets a bad rap for fanboy movies because he has been in some romantic comedies. I'd have no objections to him being in SW.

I've never seen Zac Efron in anything, but (hypocrisy alert), I'm against the idea of him being in Star Wars because he was in Glee or High School Musical or whatever it was so I assume he's a prancing girly man who looks like a feminine version of the older brother from Boy Meets World.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Latino Review is pretty set that Gosling will be Solo's son. I am actually okay with that.

I wonder if they will stick to the names of such characters as developed in the EU (Jacen or Anakin), or if they will go a totally different direction. Will be interesting to see.

I'm guessing they diverge.
Brayden Solo
Ganondorf
AG
They won't stick with the EU at all because that would legitimize the stories and they already said they are going another direction.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
^ to be fair, they've already borrowed things from EU before. Coroscant and the Clone Wars (probably other prequel ideas, too) got their first mentions in the Thrawn Trilogy. Wouldn't be shocking at all if they continued to borrow some of the better ideas, even if no story lines are directly adopted.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Uh, the first sentence says Gosling would be Luke's son, not Han's.
Mameluke
AG
I'm pretty sure the Clone Wars were mentioned in Ep 4
BMX Bandit
Yes. Leia says Obi-1 served her father
sharkenleo
It was more like Leia's father saved Obi-Wan and Yoda's asses in Coruscant.
bbattbq01
AG
quote:
And honestly, one of the biggest things for me is John Williams.

PLEASE bring him back. It just wouldn't be Star Wars without his music.

fwiw his wikipedia ways he is scoring the new movies.
Al Bula
AG
I'm glad they are getting away from the Expanded Universe. Most of that stuff is utter crap. Zahn's Heir to the Empire is the exception.
sharkenleo
Great news. Just wouldn't be the same without him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4jZr1w0AI&feature=youtu.be
TCTTS
AG
Palpatine coming back?...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/14/how-palpatine-might-return-in-star-wars-episode-vii

Could be cool if done right, I guess. The basic idea, apparently, is that he started training a new apprentice either during or just before the events of Episode VI, and that apprentice would be the new villain here. Ultimately, I think I'd rather not see yet another retread of Palpatine, though. And if Vader/Luke was Palpatine's ultimate prize, why would he have been training someone else behind the scenes? Contingency plan? But I guess if it truly does help connect IV, V and VI to the motivations of VII, why not.

Either way, Latino Review is usually pretty spot-on with these things...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/14/2013 2:57p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.