WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,091 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Yoda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm hopeful Hamill has gotten into good shape, but I don't think we can really tell much from that picture.

He is always so good to the fans. Loved reading some of his reddit interview.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
TCTTS
AG
That sketch is amazing.
jr15aggie
AG
I always assumed a bearded Luke was a given.
TCTTS
AG
At the very least, hopefully J.J. has solved the Empire's trash compactor issues...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/on-the-implausibility-of-the-death-stars-trash-compactor
Simplebay
AG
read that all and loved it
TCTTS
Philo B 93
I know TCTTS has discouraged EU (Extended Universe / Books) discussion here, but I just gotta say.......

Because of this thread, I've gone back and started reading Heir to the Empire by Zahn again. I read it originally in 1992. I couldn't get my hands around "Star Wars" in book form at the time, but I'm enjoying it more now. I've read maybe 120 books since 1992, and I'd put Heir to the Empire somewhere in the middle as far as personal enjoyment. I wouldn't be reading it again, but everyone here spoke so highly of it that I got the urge I couldn't resist. I'm glad that Disney isn't using EU since I agree that it is glorified Fan Fiction, although anything done by anyone other than Lucas is really glorified Fan Fiction. At least this way, we'll get two universes of Star Wars canon with the movies ultimately being more widely known.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I heard some author that wrote some Star Wars books at a convention, and he stated that Lucas had to approve all major story lines for every single Star Wars novel and comic ever written. I've never read a Star Wars novel in my life, but thought it was an interesting quote.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I heard some author that wrote some Star Wars books at a convention, and he stated that Lucas had to approve all major story lines for every single Star Wars novel and comic ever written. I've never read a Star Wars novel in my life, but thought it was an interesting quote.

As someone who knows people that produce EU stuff, I can tell you his input is vastly overstated.
redline248
AG
The rumor I always heard was that he would sign off on just about anything, excepting some things like Han Solo/Chewbacca or something like that. I also heard he would seek out specific authors to tell certain stories.
Simplebay
AG
benMath08
AG
They wanted to kill Luke at the beginning of the New Jedi Order but Lucas vetoed that. They ended up killing another fan favorite character instead.

Considering how bad the prequel plots were and some of the ridiculous arcs in the Clone Wars cartoon, it's pretty hard to say what Lucas did or did not approve.
Red Five
AG
quote:
They wanted to kill Luke at the beginning of the New Jedi Order but Lucas vetoed that. They ended up killing another fan favorite character instead.
It's been almost 15 years since Vector Prime came out, I think the statute of limitations on that spoiler has passed.
benMath08
AG
haha, you never know. I didn't read some of the EU books until quite awhile after they were released.
Texags is garbage
I didn't become a true Star Wars fan until I read 'The Jedi Apprentice' series in High School.
redline248
AG
Still haven't read NJO and know which character you're talking about.
Ag Since 83
AG
I finally read Vector Prime last year, but I think I knew who died the week it came out.

Last year I finally made progress on the NJO but haven't read any in several months. I think I'm on book 6.
PatAg
AG
Am I the only one concerned about Jessie Plemons playing a major role in these movies? I don't know if he has the acting chops, charisma, on screen presence, whatever you want to call it.
TCTTS
AG
I wouldn't worry about that just yet. He's far from confirmed...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
the NJO was a roller coaster. Some sucked so hard you could barely remember you were reading a Star Wars novel, some were great.

redline248
AG
That's b/c they had like 10 different authors and no overall plan, I thought...
Red Five
AG
At the risk of drawing the ire of TCTTS...

I thought NJO overall was strong conceptually. It was a good shakeup of the status quo. Muck Raker is right about the fluctuating quality, but that is true of the EU in general. there are some real clunkers (looking at you, Darksaber) to go along with some really great reads. Star by Star was fantastic and Traitor is one of my favorites of the whole EU. The Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston books I liked, but I'm also biased because X-wing is my favorite EU series.
Ulrich
Thumbs up to all of that, especially Traitor and Star by Star.
israeliag
AG
Might I make the suggestion of starting a Star Wars Extended Universe thread for the discussions about novels, EU, and what they may or may not include from there into the movies?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Done.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, I'm reclaiming this thread as an exclusive Episode VII thread.

Brian Earl Spilner, if you intended the other thread to be an "everything Star Wars" thread, why did you name it, "Star Wars Episode VII Discussion Thread"? I'm ALL FOR an everything Star Wars thread, but the title is confusing as hell. We had/have a GREAT thing going here.

Either way, will be posting Episode VII news in this thread from now on.
Red Five
AG
What a whiny ****ing baby you are.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
What a whiny ****ing baby you are.

Thanks!
redline248
AG
quote:
Just FYI, I'm reclaiming this thread as an exclusive Episode VII thread.

Good luck. I claim it for talking about the ewok spinoff movies. Besides, I brought a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Who's everyone's favorite Ewok, since this thread is all Star Wars talk, not just Episode 7?

I mean, Wicket is kinda the obvious choice, but you gotta admire Chief Chirpa's leadership abilities. And then there's Logray. Say what you will about a medicine man in a modern galactic society, but the guy delivered in the clutch.
YellowPot_97
AG
I'm a fan of Paploo. He had the furry balls to steal an imperial speeder!
Would you rather have a green, blue, or red light saber?

All three for me.
redline248
AG
I always liked the baby ewok that got scared during 3-PO's story. So cute. I mean, that was the point, right?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

[This message has been edited by Orlando ayala cant read (edited 2/13/2014 8:53p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.