WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,254 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm tired of the lame ass Sith Lords.

He will probably be named something crappy like Darth Foulicus or Darth Repulsor.
TCTTS
AG
I completely agree, but there's no they were ever going to abandon the Darth-named villains for the main films. Hoping they'll go with more original villains for the spin-offs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the expanded universe, Palpatine had a ******* son who had 3 eyes, so my expectation bar is pretty low.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
wow, I can't say bast ard
TCTTS
AG
Just to add more fuel to the fire, here's a recent tweet from a Box Office Mojo writer - the leading authority on release date announcements & changes - trolling the official SW account...

Like I've been saying for months now, a May 2015 release almost assuredly isn't happening. Especially after Disney/Lucasfilm were completely silent at the D23 Expo this past weekend, a concern recently addressed here:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/10/star-wars-was-mia-at-disneys-d23-convention/

My money's still on Christmas 2015...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/14/2013 7:21p).]
sharkenleo
Summer 2016. Will bet you any amount it won't come out in winter.

Actually, I should say spring. The usual Star Wars window.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 8/15/2013 9:18a).]
TCTTS
AG
The ONE thing Disney did do at the D23 Expo this past weekend was double-down on 2015. Mentioned that year as an absolute two or three times. They wouldn't have done that this late in the game if they had any plans to move to 2016.
Simplebay
AG
Zero chance its Christmas 2015. Zero.

If it is, its because they were majorly running behind schedule.
TCTTS
AG
Will cherish the day I finally get to tell you guys, "I told you so."
sharkenleo
There is zero reason to move this franchise to the winter. If they miss their summer 2015 window, Disney will have no problem pushing it a whole year like WB did with Hobbit 3.

Actually that was a half year, but you get my point. Keep the franchise where it belongs. Hobbit belongs in winter.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 8/15/2013 11:15a).]
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, Disney is SW, not WB. And Hobbit ends December '14, while Avatar supposed begins again December '16. December 2015 is still wide open.
sharkenleo
Not sure where that brain fart came from.
Simplebay
AG
summer 2015 or 2016. I'm with Shark on this. no chance it's a winter film. and i understand the underrated success winter films can have.

this is the most important movie evarrrr. they won't break format.
TCTTS
AG
One last time for the cheap seats, I’ll explain exactly where I’m coming from in regards to Episode VII’s potential release date. If only for future reference. But also, after laying all this out, I’d truly like to hear any legitimate, well-thought-out arguments to the contrary. Because I just don’t see how some of these facts can be argued (though there could always be points I haven’t yet considered)...

● Disney already has The Avengers: Age of Ultron set for May 1, 2015. Even though the past six Star Wars movies have, in fact, all been released the second-half of May, there’s just no way Disney releases their only other billion-dollar franchise the same month. From a business perspective, how would that make any sense? Those two franchises play to the exact same demographic. SW would cut off whatever legs Avengers has, and it’ll have legs well into June. Save for the “Star-Wars-movies-always-come-out-in-May” rationale, I would love to hear a sane argument as to why Disney would release its two most lucrative franchises within four weeks of each other. I just can’t see anyone doing so with a straight face. And Avengers isn’t moving, either. Marvel is a well-oiled machine at this point, and their schedule won’t be thrown off-course, not even for SW.

● With May likely out of the question, that leaves June or July. Here’s the current release schedule for those two months, rounding out the biggest summer in movie history:

06.19.15 - Assassin's Creed
06.19.15 - Inside Out (Pixar)
06.26.15 - Terminator (reboot)
07.03.15 - Independence Day 2 (aka ID Forever Part 1)
07.10.15 - Pirates of the Caribbean 5

TBA:
- Batman vs. Superman
- Jurassic Park IV
- Star Wars Episode VII

Traditionally, July is the somewhat more "prestigious" blockbuster release month. If Episode VII doesn't hit in May, July would be the next likely month. But Disney already has Pirates 5 slated for July 10th. And even if they bumped P5 up to the beginning of July, if I had to guess, I’d say Batman vs. Superman takes the July 17 spot, seeing as that’s WB’s bread-and butter weekend; the same weekend both TDK and TDKR were released. SW obviously trumps all, but Batman vs. Superman is the ONE movie out of that bunch I don’t see getting out of its way. WB is going to hold strong to whatever date they settle on, especially if Bale actually ends up coming back.

So that would leave June for Episode VII, right? Well, right smack in the middle of June is yet another sure-to-be-huge Disney movie, Pixar’s Inside Out. And just like May and July, Disney isn’t going to put SW anywhere close to one of their own franchise movies. Could Disney move Inside Out? Sure. But since 2006, Disney has never not released a summer Pixar movie in June (save for Up, which came out May 29). Like WB’s mid-late July spot, Disney loves that mid-late June spot for Pixar, and I just don’t see them deviating.

The only thing I could see happening to make summer 2015 work is Disney claiming late July for Episode VII before WB claims it for Batman vs. Superman, forcing WB to release in June. And then Disney could just movie Pirates 5 to 2016. But if Disney was going to do that, wouldn’t they have done so already? They’ve had opportunity after opportunity to claim mid-late July for Episode VII, yet they still haven’t even hinted at release month for 2015. Which leads to my last point...

● Why even have to deal with Avengers 2, Inside Out, Terminator, ID42, Pirates 5, Batman vs. Superman and JP4 when you can have Christmas all to yourself? Since the SW prequels have come and gone, that mid-December release date has become THE spot for huge, "family" blockbusters. Not only have the LOTR/Hobbit/Avatar movies set that precedent, but Disney itself has set Tron: Legacy and 2014's Tomorrowland in that mid-December blockbuster spot as well. And yes, SW has always been a summer franchise. But the blockbuster release landscape has since changed. Look at all the movies listed in the opening of this paragraph. And then look at the movies named after. SW absolutely sways more toward the latter group, and fits the new LOTR/Avatar type and release model far better than any of the summer fare. Not to mention - and I can’t reiterate this enough - it’s a completely different team behind the scenes of SW this go-around. 20th Century Fox / George Lucas were the ones who originally positioned SW for May. Disney / Kathleen Kennedy are the ones positioning these news films. Completely different corporations / decision-makers, which arguably trumps any past traditions.

Regardless, there’s almost assuredly trouble behind the scenes. As referenced in that Badass Digest article I linked to a few posts up, if everything were going smoothly, Disney would have claimed a release date by this point. It’s that simple. And I’d say they could just move to 2016, but again, for whatever reason, Disney doubled-down on 2015 just this past weekend at the D23 Expo. Unless they completely go back on their word - which wouldn’t make any sense at this point - this movie is coming out in 2015. And sure, they could still somehow squeeze it in among their THREE other tentpole franchises currently scheduled for that summer, but as I’ve hopefully thoroughly explained, I just don’t see where/how. With The Hobbit films ending their run in December ’14, and the Avatar sequels not beginning again until December ’16, December ’15 is wide open. The perfect scenario, IMO, would be for Disney to release the first Episode VII teaser trailer with Lindelof/Bird’s Tomorrowland on December 12, 2014. Then, a year later, release Episode VII on December 11, 2015. That’s the date I’m sticking with, until proven otherwise, at which point I will gladly eat crow...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/15/2013 2:46p).]
sharkenleo
Solid argument. Also,
quote:
Regardless, there’s almost assuredly trouble behind the scenes.

is something I unfortunately agree with, given the lack of new information given at D23.

Best case scenario, let's assume filming starts in January 2014. (Given the complete lack of information on casting, filming locations, etc, I think this is optimistic.) Let's also filming takes 3 months. So if they finished filming in March 2014, that would give them around 13 or 14 months to finish the movie for a summer release. (Ep I finished filming in September 1997 and was released 20 months later. Similarly with Ep II.)

That is way too tight in comparison. December 2015 would be doable though, IF filming is actually done by then. However, it won't be done until at least June or July 2014, imho, unless they really kick things into high gear soon.

Guess we'll know soon enough.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement on all points. From what I'm hearing now, Disney will start making release date, casting, etc. announcements around October/ November. Who knows, maybe they just want to get all their ducks in a row before a single detail is made public...
Gradin
AG
I kind of hope for 2016 just so they can take their time and not rush this movie out. I want Star Wars to come back with a vengeance
TCTTS
AG
Another Force-ghost? Despite the horrible scripts he had to work with, I though Ewan McGregor made for a great Obi-Wan. So while I welcome back the actor, this is starting to sound really... forced. I'd prefer not to have a bunch of Force-ghosts running around influencing the events of Episode VII. Hopefully this is nothing more than a (somehow age-appropriate) cameo. And again, Latino Review are almost always spot-on with this things, so this is likely happening. They're the ones who originally broke Hayden Christensen as Anakin way back when...

http://latino-review.com/2013/08/obi-wan-kenobi-set-to-return-star-wars-episode-vii/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/16/2013 10:29a).]
sharkenleo
Hm. Not so sure about an Obi-Wan force ghost. It's been done. I feel like the rumored Palpatine force ghost would be pretty awesome, as would a Yoda force ghost. Cause, come on, you gotta have Yoda.

That said, Ewan McGregor was one of the brighter spots in the PT. Loved him as Obi-Wan.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 8/16/2013 10:22a).]
Gradin
AG
quote:
That said, Ewan McGregor was one of the brighter spots in the PT. Loved him as Obi-Wan.

agreed
BMX Bandit
Plot synopsis from a legit source:

Three odd-ball Padawan get kicked out of their cushy positions at the Jedi Temple. They decide to set up shop in an old firehouse and become Ghostbusters, trapping pesky Jedi ghosts for money. They wise-crack their way through Corsucant and stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, one which will release untold evil upon the city.
el aggie
AG
Evil in the form of a giant Jar Jar Marshmallow Man. So I'm told.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
^
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The perfect scenario, IMO, would be for Disney to release the first Episode VII teaser trailer with Lindelof/Bird’s Tomorrowland on December 12, 2014. Then, a year later, release Episode VII on December 11, 2015. That’s the date I’m sticking with, until proven otherwise, at which point I will gladly eat crow...

I'm not one to gloat, but with the countless number of posts, in all the various threads, saying I was crazy, that December will never happen, etc., let it be known that I not only called a December release MONTHS ago, but I've potentially predicted the release date down down to the exact day. After all the crap I've been getting, when and if this date is officially announced, you guys will never hear the end of it from me...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/19/how-star-wars-episode-viis-release-date-might-make-history/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2013 12:11p).]
TCTTS
AG
For those just now clicking on the above link, where it currently says "the 15th," when first posted it said "the 11th." December 15th would be a Tuesday, which makes no sense. Don't know why he changed it. Either way, here's more from /Film...

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-star-wars-episode-vii-to-be-released-in-december-2015/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2013 12:25p).]
sharkenleo
Star Trek was originally scheduled for a December release as well. Obvioulsy that didn't happen.

We will see.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
December 15th would be a Tuesday, which makes no sense.

Actually, seeing as Christmas break for most schools would likely begin sometime that week, a Tuesday might actually work.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Star Trek was originally scheduled for a December release as well. Obvioulsy that didn't happen.

We will see.

Ha, are you saying that gives more credence to a December release or not?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2013 12:34p).]
sharkenleo
I'm saying they might make a December 2015 date "official", but it really means nothing as it could easily be pushed back to May, just like with Star Trek. And that movie was finished on time.
TCTTS
AG
True, but this will mean it was technically already pushed back once (from summer 2015 to December). Once casting is finally done, the production should move along fairly quickly. Abrams is fast shooter, and effects now-days can be finished much earlier than they were with the prequels. Casting should wrap up / be announced this fall, with shooting likely set to begin Jan/Feb of next year. If that happens, Christmas 2015 will be no problem.
Phat32
AG
Just please make it good.

TCTTS
AG
A bit more analysis from HitFix...

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/is-a-star-wars-movie-still-a-star-wars-movie-if-its-released-in-december
Simplebay
AG
Alan Horn....Badass Digest

TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just please make it good.

In all seriousness, I really do think it'll be good. Especially if they do, in fact, move the release date to December. That at least says they're serious about getting it right, and not meeting some pre-set date. The fact that both the script and casting are still being fine-tuned, tells me they at least understand the pressure and are doing everything they can behind-the-scenes.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Alan Horn never said summer 2015. Only "2015."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.