WOW. J.J. Abrams really is directing STAR WARS EPISODE VII...

46,277 Views | 802 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or they would think the Jedi were meddlers with too much power as evidenced by the fact that when one of them went bad it resulted in 20 years of crushing tyranny.
benMath08
AG
The Jedi have always been a mysterious force acting in their own interest, and even though most of them are inherently good the average person doesn't necessarily have a good opinion of them.

Think about if there was some super powerful quasi-governmental police squad that just came into our lives and made unilateral decisions with no oversight. As an outsider how would you feel?
Ulrich
Per the EU, the Jedi were increasingly viewed as some combination of emotionally detached, meddling, mystic, corrupt, power hungry, puppeteers of the Old Republic in the decades prior to Palpatine taking the throne. Remember, the Clone Wars were largely fallen Jedi vs. Jedi (Dooku vs. the Jedi), and the Emperor took the throne amid the uproar of a supposed Jedi plot to seize the government.

On the flip side, there are also a number of times when the books say that Palpatine was not known to be to the public as a Sith or Force user, and the movies are unclear on that point. Consequently, the Emperor's lieutenant was a Force user, but Force users wouldn't necessarily be blamed for the Empire or Palpatine.

You could justify going just about anywhere based on the movies and even the books don't box you in completely.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Remember, the Clone Wars were largely fallen Jedi vs. Jedi (Dooku vs. the Jedi), and the Emperor took the throne amid the uproar of a supposed Jedi plot to seize the government.

Things would have been so different if the original Clone Wars concept stuck, which was that lots of Jedi were cloned and fought against the Republic Jedi. Talk about sowing the seeds of distrust in the Order...

Luckily, instead, we got millions of disposable Stormtroopers so Lucas could have something faceless to blast instead of robots. Roger, roger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm surprised Lucas hasn't gone back and edited all the stormtroopers to be the exact same height in the original trilogy.

Or are we not supposed to assume they're all clones of Jango Fett?
amercer
AG
quote:
I'm surprised Lucas hasn't gone back and edited all the stormtroopers to be the exact same height in the original trilogy.

Clones have identical DNA (unless its modified along the way, either on accident or perhaps to engineer it), but they would still have some variation in physical features due to environment and development, which while heavily influenced by genetics is not completly deterministic.

[/istayedatahollidayinnlastnight]

[This message has been edited by Amercer (edited 1/16/2014 12:53p).]
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

They now say that in the Classic Trilogy, it was a mix of clones and recruits. The call sign of TK421 has been suggested to be a Clone "name."
agracer
AG
quote:
Love or hate Zahn, he still gave us Thrawn, Pellaeon, Mara Jade, Joruus C'Baoth, the Noghri, and Talon Karrde and his entire smuggling operation.

AliasMan02
AG
One of my best friends/colleagues writes for the new Star Wars RPG by Fantasy Flight Games. Just throwing that out there to increase my nerd cred.

Interestingly, they just ignore stuff they hate, like midichlorians. They just don't exist or bear any mention in the game, despite being A-canon.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Eventually,Palpy said, hey why am I spending all my cash cloning these guys? There' schlubs all over the galaxy who we can conscript into service. Sure, some of them can't shoot, but when will that ever be an issue?
TCTTS
AG
I don't mean to be the annoying hall monitor, but is there any way we can potentially delegate EU talk to another thread? Not only has it been confirmed that Abrams & co aren't touching that stuff, it's such a niche thing that half the posters have never read (including myself) and it's just getting kind of tedious reading through all the various EU posts & speculation (namely, a lot of that stuff on the previous page).

I get how it's maybe fun/advantageous to compare that stuff to what they might actually be doing, and that's totally fine - even helpful - if it lends to discussion about the eventual movies themselves. But the fan-casting of EU characters, and lengthy posts about how they should have adapted this or that, is just kind of a bore for the rest of us.

Now I know how most you felt when I was harping on and on about the release date...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Ag Since 83
AG
Doing all I can to not burst out laughing in this meeting...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I don't mean to be the annoying hall monitor, but is there any way we can potentially delegate EU talk to another thread?

It's a Star Wars thread.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
It's a Star Wars thread.

It's an Episode VII thread. That I started.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC, I see your point, but it's a 20 page, one year old thread that's going to be going for another two years at least. It's going to meander a bit topic wise.

You're quite the paradox. You work really hard to keep this reputation you've been unfairly saddled with. I'm still a fan though.
TCTTS
AG
I totally get it. Was just trying to keep the thread on-topic and inclusive for those who haven't read the EU. That, and I was going to pull my hair out if I had to read the word "Thrawn" again.

I won't even ask what you meant by that last bit...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/16/2014 4:46p).]
Farmer1906
AG
TCTT, relax. You or whoever else can get this thread back on track as soon as there is more info released on the actual picture. I actually find some of this stuff interesting even though I've never read a word of an SW books or comics.
Is J.J. Abrams REALLY directing Star Wars Episode VII?

Yes.

Okay.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
You or whoever else can get this thread back on track as soon as there is more info released on the actual picture.

Fair enough. Plot news is pretty dry as of late.

And good lord, people. Ha, I'm relaxed as can be. Was simply trying to keep the thread from turning into an all-EU discussion, which would potentially scare-off posters/readers. Had no idea people cared this much.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just consider this the Star Wars offseason thread until substantial news is released.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just consider this the Star Wars offseason thread until substantial news is released.

Good way of looking at it. Thankfully, the "season" is about to kick into high gear. Casting announcements are going to coming fast and furious here in the next few weeks, with filming set to begin late-March, early-April, apparently.
RebAg13
Ag Since 83
AG
TCTTS, just remarking that I never saw you as the elitist movie know-it-all some people did, but I find it funny you sometimes come across that way when you say things like you aren't trying to be the hall monitor.

As for the EU, I understand why you wouldn't want the thread to turn into an EU thread. I just love the Thrawn trilogy and don't get to discuss it with other people often. I've read it countless times since 7th grade. It's what turned me from someone who had seen and liked Star Wars into a Star Wars geek.
TCTTS
AG
I don't quite get how doing something as simple as trying to keep a thread on-topic plays into an "elitist" perception, but I guess I get what you're saying.

Either way, it's all good, Trust me, I can definitely relate to not having a place to discuss some of this stuff. Totally understandable.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/16/2014 6:02p).]
Ag Since 83
AG
I could explain what I mean, but honestly at this point best to just move on.

Any idea on when we might learn if these rumored castings are happening or not? I really like the Plemons idea.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It's an Episode VII thread. That I started.

We can get back into release date discussion if you'd like.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, fully copped to that a few posts up.

As for when we'll start getting official casting news, my guess is sometime in February. Half the film world is covering Sundance for the next week, starting today, then it's the Super Bowl after that. Once those two things have come and gone, word is Disney could start making a lot of this stuff official. I'd say mid-late February at the earliest, if not March, right before filming begins.

Though, an official start-date still hasn't been given. All we know is "spring," which could even mean May, as some outlets are speculating. If that's the case, who knows. But if I had to bet, I'd say we definitely know a majority of the cast + a title by the time Captain America: The Winter Soldier hits theaters on April 4th. Rumor is, there MIGHT be an announcement teaser with that (seeing as it's also a Disney production) to officially kick off production...
TCTTS
AG
Then again, this thread was started in January 24th of last year, the day Disney officially announced Abrams. So they may not even wait 'til after the Super Bowl (even though they're obviously on a different schedule this go-around)...
TCTTS
AG
From Latino Review, a pretty good state-of-the-union / summary of the latest news, plus a few other small tidbits...

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/the-4-most-important-star-wars-stories-of-the-year-so-far/

Basically, they're saying...

- Plemons is all-but-confirmed as Ben Skywalker.

- Hamill's part has been beefed up significantly, potentially shooting as much as six months.

- Obi-Wan will not have a daughter or granddaughter, as rumored. However, the Kenobi family will come into play one way or another.

- FInally, according to Latino Review, the Boba Fett spin-off will NOT feature the cloned Boba Fett from the prequels. Rather, a complete stranger will kill that Boba Fett and take his armor and name. In other words, they're saying the Boba Fett from the original trilogy wasn't a clone, but a "new" character we'll meet in the spin-off who stole the original's identity. Which is kind of awesome, IMO, and resets that version of the character as something far more interesting than the cloned one from the prequels.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/16/2014 11:54p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
- FInally, according to Latino Review, the Boba Fett spin-off will NOT feature the cloned Boba Fett from the prequels. Rather, a complete stranger will kill that Boba Fett and take his armor and name. In other words, they're saying the Boba Fett from the original trilogy wasn't a clone, but a "new" character we'll meet in the spin-off who stole the original's identity. Which is kind of awesome, IMO, and resets that version of the character as something far more interesting than the cloned one from the prequels.

Dumb. Lucas intended that Boba Fett to be the real Boba Fett. Which is why he went back and edited the voice.

Don't **** with canon.
TCTTS
AG
Lucas also intended for there to be a clumsy, dim-witted, ebonics-speaking Gungan named Jar Jar Binks. He doesn't always make great choices. So I'm all for "correcting" his bad ones, of which there are plenty.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/17/2014 1:44a).]
double aught
AG
Preach!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
- Plemons is all-but-confirmed as Ben Skywalker.

YOU SAID NO EU TALK YOU SON OF A B!!!!

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Skywalker
Ag Since 83
AG
I actually like all of that news. Maybe JJ will write the whole series as if Han had shot first.

I was thinking recently about which original trilogy character I'd want to see an origins story for, and I settled on Wedge Antilles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.