Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,833 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also as many as half the deaths are people in nursing homes, who are typically on deaths door already. People go to nursing homes because they're not well enough to take care of themselves. Average life expectancy in nursing care: 13 months. Median life expectancy from arrival: 5 months.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/08/98172/social-support-key-nursing-home-length-stay-death

Every death is tragic but literally half the deaths attributed to the virus are people unlikely to live out a year. Factor in that the majority of the deaths not in nursing care are also old and quite unwell, and it's probably comparable.
DadHammer
AG
Good post
PJYoung
AG
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/25/861923548/stockholm-wont-reach-herd-immunity-in-may-sweden-s-chief-epidemiologist-says
Keegan99
AG
"The study's results have provided further fuel for the critics of the Swedish approach. With 39.26 deaths per 100,000, Sweden's mortality rate is not only higher than that of the U.S. (29.87 deaths per 100,000) but also exponentially higher than those of its neighbors Norway (4.42 per 100,000) and Finland (5.56 per 100,000), which both enacted strict lockdown measures, according to data from Johns Hopkins University."

This is some cherrypicked data to make Sweden look as poor as possible, and calls into question the agenda of the author.

It completely fails to cite cities in Europe that are comparable to Stockholm, instead choosing far less dense Oslo and Helsinki. Any author that ignores such a large density difference is being dishonest.
cone
AG
if Sweden can't get above 7% seroprevalence while doing what they're doing, what does that say about the disease?
PJYoung
AG
cone said:

if Sweden can't get above 7% seroprevalence while doing what they're doing, what does that say about the disease?

I would say it's very encouraging.
Keegan99
AG
cone said:

More evidence for the vitamin D hypothesis? And the sterilization of sunlight? Days in Stockholm right now are lengthy. And if people are outside and in the sun, it's just not going to spread that effectively.
amercer
AG
PJYoung said:

cone said:

Is it? Im guessing the Swedes were hoping to take their lumps and get this over with quickly. If this is still dragging along when winter arrives it could get ugly.

I've worked with a lot of Swedes, and they've got funny euphemisms for all the illnesses they get when stuck inside together over the long winter. Norovirus is known as the " winter vomiting" there since every gets it.
amercer
AG
PJYoung said:

cone said:

Is it? Im guessing the Swedes were hoping to take their lumps and get this over with quickly. If this is still dragging along when winter arrives it could get ugly.

I've worked with a lot of Swedes, and they've got funny euphemisms for all the illnesses they get when stuck inside together over the long winter. Norovirus is known as the " winter vomiting" there since everyone gets it.
DadHammer
AG
That's even more reason for them to continue as normal. The last thing they need is everyone cooped up together.

The slow steady spread they are getting will protect from a massive lockdown induced spread event.

Another thing to not forget is that Sweden's neighbors are not counting as many dead as Sweden. How you count really matters. Look at the Sweden curves, they are doing just fine.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Italy and Spain are mostly out of it now.
BowSowy
AG
amercer said:

PJYoung said:

cone said:

I've worked with a lot of Swedes, and they've got funny euphemisms for all the illnesses they get when stuck inside together over the long winter. Norovirus is known as the " winter vomiting" there since everyone gets it.
On the flip side, and probably more in line with what PJ is thinking - if the Swedes don't have noticeably more immunity, it may point to the virus not being nearly as communicable as we thought
cone
AG
it would be encouraging insofar as even mild social distancing works to significantly slow the spread

that might be not what they want, but it seems to be how the disease works

schools open, still not spreading as expected
BiochemAg97
AG
BowSowy said:

amercer said:

PJYoung said:

cone said:

On the flip side, and probably more in line with what PJ is thinking - if the Swedes don't have noticeably more immunity, it may point to the virus not being nearly as communicable as we thought
also Sweden's approach (social distancing, personal responsibility), is about as effective as lockdown.

Consider also that high population density is a large factor, and that lockdown didn't exactly stop the spread in NYC as 60% of the COVID patients were in lockdown. There was similar data in China that most of their spread in Wuhan was within the home.

That also points to prolonged and close exposure to an infected individual being significant. There is a lot of data to suggest a low risk of catching it from a person you pass on the bike trail, but higher risk from the person you spend 15 minute or more with in an enclosed room.
PJYoung
AG
BowSowy said:

amercer said:

PJYoung said:

cone said:

With the #s worldwide falling or at least staying flat and testing going up massively I feel really good at the moment about where we are at with this.

Georgia opened up on April 24th and their #s have stayed flat despite their testing quadrupling. Their positive test rate went from 20% in April to 5% now. The feared 2nd wave isn't happening this summer in the United States.

And yes, maybe Sweden is in for a world of hurt this winter because they are only at 7% infected right now instead of 30 or 40% but for now I see it as good news.
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

And yes, maybe Sweden is in for a world of hurt this winter because they are only at 7% infected right now instead of 30 or 40% but for now I see it as good news.
Why would Sweden be in for a world of hurt this winter relative to anyone else?
Beat40
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

I think his point is only 7% have it, so it's possible, maybe even likely a second wave will come test will spread faster in the winter like the flu does. Might even be what we see here in Texas as the population that has it is pretty low currently.

It seems to logically make sense. Maybe the only reason it doesn't happen is the virus isn't as transmittable as we thought, which maybe is something the 7% shows in Sweden.

At the end of they day, I personally believe there is a lot more we're just going to have to wait and we what happens.
GAC06
AG
If they weren't in a world of hurt this spring or right now, why would they be in a world of hurt in the fall with some immunity?
culdeus
AG
Yeah, this is a hammer looking for a nail. To have more or less blown this thing off and 7% of people got infected, should be viewed as a good thing. You then look at NYC and see why 20% of them got it and try to be more like Sweeden, not less.

Sweeden done F-ed up if the immunity they got is not durable, but in the absence of that information you can say they did a great if not the best job of all. I do admit, they probably went all in on the "Immunity is durable" thing a little too quickly, but it seems to be paying off.
BiochemAg97
AG
culdeus said:

Yeah, this is a hammer looking for a nail. To have more or less blown this thing off and 7% of people got infected, should be viewed as a good thing. You then look at NYC and see why 20% of them got it and try to be more like Sweeden, not less.

Sweeden done F-ed up if the immunity they got is not durable, but in the absence of that information you can say they did a great if not the best job of all. I do admit, they probably went all in on the "Immunity is durable" thing a little too quickly, but it seems to be paying off.
Why too quickly? In absence of evidence to the contrary, everything we know about virology, biology, immunology would indicate durable immunity (although probably not permanent).

And even the suggestions of people getting it a second time (positive tests after recovery) as been shown to be a false indicator. The studies in SK showed those repeat positives were not infectious virus and those people also had no symptoms.

It is like the world threw everything we have learned about virology and immunology for the past 100 years and threw it out the window, assuming instead that this virus was the exception to everything until proven otherwise.
PJYoung
AG
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

I was only referencing this quote above mine:

Quote:

If this is still dragging along when winter arrives it could get ugly.

Beat40
GAC06 said:

If they weren't in a world of hurt this spring or right now, why would they be in a world of hurt in the fall with some immunity?
I'm not saying they will be. But they kind of got it on the back end of spring like we did, right? Sweden and us didn't get it during peak spread season like Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. Like us, summer seems to be helping slow the spread just as it is with most viruses as people are less congregated with one another, which seems to be the way this virus spreads most effectively.

My point is 7% is not all that significant if your saying herd immunity might be in the 50-70% range. 7% doesn't slow the spread nearly as quickly during peak spread times. I think they'll see a second wave in the fall/winter. I think numbers wise that just makes sense if you're assuming this virus is just as contagious, if not more, than the flu.

I also want to clarify that I have no idea if they'll be in a world of hurt in the fall/winter. I'm only commenting on I think they'll have a second wave during that period as I think the USA will as well.

I would like to also say a lot of people look at Sweden has having everything open, but they did ban large gatherings and school for the ages 16+. From what we know now, it does look like the virus most effectively transmits via close contact with people. I personally think that's the largest player for why they don't look like they're in a world of hurt right now.

I'm curious what happens in the fall/winter if Sweden allows large gatherings. If a second wave starts to show, do they ban them again?

Edit to say that I think Sweden thought this virus would go through there population faster than just 7%. I think the one good thing the 7% shows is that the virus just might not transmit as fast as people thought, so maybe if they do have a second wave with large gatherings allowed, they will be good to go based on transmission rate alone.
amercer
AG
My comment about them being in a world of hurt was because of Swedes I've worked with who have talked about bad viral spread in the winter. They have very long winters.

So I have to think that some of their strategy was to build up immunity before the 8 months of darkness come. In that context 7% is probably pretty disappointing.
DadHammer
AG
Death projections for Sweden have now fallen to below 6,000 by September 1st. The other projections ended August 4th.

Looking better all the time.

https://covid19-projections.com/sweden
Carolin_Gallego
Now you support projections?

The facts are, Sweden has had the world's highest corona death rate per capita two weeks in a row.
We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another. - TexAgs
The name-calling technique making false associations is a child's game. The propagandist who uses this technique hopes that the audience will reject a person and their argument on this false basis.
Keegan99
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

The facts are, Sweden has had the world's highest corona death rate per capita two weeks in a row.

That erroneously assumes all countries are at the same stage of their respective epidemics. Comparing Sweden today to Italy today is meaningless.

Let us know when Sweden has a higher per capita rate in aggregate than Massachusetts.
Beat40
Carolin_Gallego said:

Answer this: what is flattening the curve about - making sure hospitals are prepared and not overwhelmed or saving as many lives as possible?
DadHammer
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

What do you even stand for? Unlimited lock downs and being a downer all the time?

All you do is post doom and gloom everywhere, where are your ideas of any value?

It's already proven people under 50 are more at risk from the flue. Lockdowns are killing people and the economy. What more do you want? You need to read this thread from the beginning to see how much better Sweden will be than it's neighbors. Not to mention it's neighbors don't record deaths the same. I just don't have time to explain it all to you.

You do realize it's a virus Released by China, right?

Fitch
AG
Beat40 said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

Answer this: what is flattening the curve about - making sure hospitals are prepared and not overwhelmed or saving as many lives as possible?

I mean, ideally both.
Carolin_Gallego
DadHammer said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

What do you even stand for? Unlimited lock downs and being a downer all the time?

All you do is post doom and gloom everywhere, where are your ideas of any value?

It's already proven people under 50 are more at risk from the flue. Lockdowns are killing people and the economy. What more do you want? You need to read this thread from the beginning to see how much better Sweden will be than it's neighbors. Not to mention it's neighbors don't record deaths the same. I just don't have time to explain it all to you.

You do realize it's a virus Released by China, right?

The highlighted is false statement, or at least and unproven one.

Your other questions demonstrate that you are pushing a narrative and are on the wrong board.
We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another. - TexAgs
The name-calling technique making false associations is a child's game. The propagandist who uses this technique hopes that the audience will reject a person and their argument on this false basis.
DadHammer
AG
You never ever post any answers. Why?
GAC06
AG
Try making a logical argument instead of whining and derailing every thread. Thanks.
Carolin_Gallego
DadHammer said:

You never ever post any answers. Why?
Because of this.

Quote:

To be clear: This is not a place to post your opinion as fact or to post information not rooted in clear facts. This is not a place to have political arguments or to detail your opinions about how well or poorly the government is handling the issue. This is not a place to rant about media conspiracies. This is not a place to critique other people for their level of concern or efforts to prepare. There are forums for (some of) those conversations, but they don't belong here.

I'm trying to respect the stated goals of this forum.
DadHammer
AG
For Carolyn

From Dr. Coates - More positive news...

For the people still living in fear of Covid-19.
You don't have to here is the latest estimates of mortality rates from the CDC which is not far off of the numbers I gave you the other night. Basically if you are under 50 it is less than the flu and over 50 greater than the flu.

Per CDC, symptomatic case fatality rates by age:
0-49 yrs: 0.02% - 0.1%
50-64: 0.1% - 0.6%
65+: 0.6% - 3.2%
All ages: 0.2% - 1%

Symptomatic case hospitalization rates by age:
0-49 yrs: 1.3% - 2.6%
50-64: 3.6% - 5.7%
65+: 5.2% - 10%
All ages: 2.8% - 4.1%

The CDC estimates that between 20% and 50% of infections are asymptomatic.

As for Asymptomatic patients. Even more reasons to not live in fear as new study shows they may not be as infectious as we once suspected.
In this study they followed all of the contacts of 35 asymptomatic patients. This included hospital staff, family members and patients, who were routinely screened. This totaled up to 455 contacts 224 hospital staffs, 196 family members and 35 patients who had been exposed. They followed all of these 455 contacts who were exposed to asymptomatic patients. The median contact time was 4 days for patients and 5 days for family members. During the quarantine seven patients plus one family member developed mild respiratory symptoms and fever. There were no severe respiratory symptoms. All CT images showed no signs of Covid-19 and all tested negative. In summary they concluded all the 455 contacts were excluded from SARS-CoV-2 infection and we conclude that the infectivity of some asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers might be weak.

[url=https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC7219423%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0mb4WMuQnssXTxbDGGtax8mI0ob0OgL_AbVq49tdcCfiBM148PwVLGgvQ&h=AT01wg0OqDumloJdhwufKREZb48YEeNEj6Dy59t5_npRkOTzMfzUTPEwpnOZhKASj0WMBlLeOT6BsQBxyZMOMhVqy31xeu6Z1S5NC5cDfVuw8K6HPeTQIuk4xnVsmIPHNY6Wy8entDie22ZhYL3L_TGyDwo3zz_QZWwJ8Mj6FFHeJEmNVtn1GpG1B6FjJMclf0dEloLnG1hu5tKGiV8349CZtC3vI8t77GZNtWi0Z6FICHJafDNgbEPI1WVSPQsNE_rGu1z1k60sBlW6GIrMJ92D3VICHvSSgVAfxJH9sXmmi_IsdmBo0R2w04JBWjeriY_Ix-uzvxyyDrYL0fRhFeWD1DQnSzCSd4l1dmt6mNYDzlfPSib_Z8b7F0IbCHNLZLAYaI4r3eQgAHClqZikhzLX_kw4Dc1c1b4lYOM43YeSzswemYYiCqtjnXThqPMxuU8F95ogflbIZXul_E-wa6X2doM2OlLN9fN0oG-xTMnyllmHlyxQXMqcy3WuTwwyxvuw0Ux4Y8XamwiBbr4FZZ6NumnD1gj-C3leezUKu0hIXnoiyukKC4VY1SMwDiS3wT7iU4raqT-Ms_C6q4QmkG6a433w5jvMF-puCvKWDsJ9Yna9ZYb3y1BIfjXNmUXo1QHVYBRfNO0][/url]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219423/
DadHammer
AG
DadHammer
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

That does not prove your statement
Quote:

people under 50 are more at risk from the flue.
Take it to the Politics board if you want to take that discussion any further.

You go, I posted facts from a physician.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.