Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,800 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
By the way, I feel compelled to wonder how much faith we should put into Sweden's calculated/reported R0. Someone smarter than me help me out on this. https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/contentassets/4b4dd8c7e15d48d2be744248794d1438/sweden-estimate-of-the-effective-reproduction-number.pdf

Its based off their testing numbers, which seem clearly unduly flawed with only 22,721 positives and 2769 deaths.

Or, if their numbers aren't unduly flawed, they either (1) suck at treating the disease, (2) aren't approaching herd immunity, or (3) both.

By unduly, I mean all numbers are flawed but their's seem really flawed. Of course, they're only reporting 11,833 tests/million people, which is near the bottom of the western world at this point.
Keegan99
AG
I think we can reasonably speculate that Sweden is only testing patients that are already symptomatic, if not clinically diagnosed.

"Sweden has 265 reported COVID-19 deaths per million population. That is somewhat higher than in the U.S. (204 per million) but lower than the number in many other EU countries."

They do have more old people, however.

"As elsewhere, Swedish COVID-19 deaths are overwhelmingly among the frail elderly and those with serious chronic disease. Over half of Swedish deaths are in nursing homes. Of those who died, 90 percent were over 70 and half were over 86, with just 1 percent younger than 50.

It is ironic that half of the Swedish deaths are in people over the age of 86. Life expectancy in Sweden is 83, whereas it's 79 in the U.S., so it isn't surprising that there are relatively more frail elderly in Sweden. Out of every 100,000 births, about 10,000 more Swedes are still alive at age 85 than Americans are, so Sweden's slightly higher COVID-19 death rate, compared with ours, mostly reflects the fact that a larger percentage of Swedes live well past 79."
UTExan
GAC06 said:

UTExan said:

GAC06 said:

It's becoming increasingly obvious that for most of the country we have vastly over reacted

I disagree. SARS and MERS didn't spread because those strains did not have the same mechanism to bind with human lung tissue as CV19. Going in with what we knew, it was a decently considered move until our knowledge of the virus increased. If you ever get a chance, watch the movie Contagion ((2011) to see what a really dangerous pathogen looks like. Prophetically, it started in a Chinese wet market.

Yes I think the initial response was mostly appropriate, and I don't fault policy makers from choosing the conservative option when facing something like a pandemic. What I find fault with is the draconian measures in places that were never at risk to overwhelm the system, and states still doubling down on lockdowns despite examples of how to do it better like Sweden.

Also using a fictional movie as an example isn't exactly a compelling argument.

It isn't an argument, but an illustration as to how a pathogen spreads from animal to animal and then to human. And it accurately predicted human economic/social behavior in facing shortages with panic and violence.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
GAC06
AG
Have you seen Outbreak?
DadHammer
AG
GAC06 said:

It's becoming increasingly obvious that for most of the country we have vastly over reacted
Agree.
DadHammer
AG
Sweden has now seen a drop in active cases. No massive rise in deaths as predicted be the media.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

PJYoung
AG
DadHammer said:

Sweden has now seen a drop in active cases. No massive rise in deaths as predicted be the media.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

There are 3 countries that directly neighbor Sweden.

Deaths per million as of a couple of days ago:

Sweden 265
Denmark 83
Finland 40
Norway 38

Who knows what the stats will say in a year but right now there is not a debate about which of these 4 has sacrificed their citizens to not be 100% shutdown. And for what? Their economy?

Quote:

Nonetheless, data released from the country's central bank and a leading Swedish think tank show that the economy will be just as badly hit as its European neighbors, if not worse.

Sweden's central bank, the Riksbank, gave two possible scenarios for the economic outlook in 2020, which it said "depend on how long the spread of infection continues and on how long the restrictions implemented to slow it down are in place." Both possible economic outcomes are bleak.

In the first scenario (scenario A in the chart below), gross domestic product contracts by 6.9% in 2020 before rebounding to grow 4.6% in 2021. In a more negative prediction (scenario B), GDP could contract by 9.7% and a recovery could be slower with the economy growing 1.7% in 2021.

Quote:

The International Monetary Fund predicted earlier in April that Germany and the U.K. will see their economies contract by 6.5% and 7% this year, respectively. France is expected to see a 7.2% contraction, Spain an 8% contraction and for Italy to see its economy shrink 9.1%.

Sweden's neighbors Finland and Denmark, which also imposed lockdowns, are also expected to see their economies contract by 6% and 6.5%, respectively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/coronavirus-sweden-economy-to-contract-as-severely-as-the-rest-of-europe.html
Knucklesammich
I wonder what the projections for rebound in 2021 for the other European countries listed are? Is Sweden taking on the staggering debt that we and other countries are taking on to prop up the economy?

I don't know if they've taken the right approach or not. Just curious when I see both sides of stats when one part of the argument is made (current state contraction) but only one set of data for future state (2021 recovery).

To me Italy and Spain have to be hobbled in 2021 for reasons beyond the open back up debate. In my mind the same for NYC/NJ.

I tend to lean more towards cautiously opening where possible vs. going hard one way or the other. To me its about personal accountability BUT I also know this is bigger than any one person obviously.
twk
AG
Quote:

Who knows what the stats will say in a year but right now there is not a debate about which of these 4 has sacrificed their citizens to not be 100% shutdown. And for what? Their economy?
Just the mere language that you use tells us that you have are totally oblivious to what a lockdown does to society. It's not "just" the economy, it's life itself. It's more than money--it's about physcial survival (can't eat if you can't buy food) and mental health (no job, nothing to do, confined to a small space is not good for mental health). You can't evaluate how a government is handling coronavirus without taking everything into consideration, and that means more than deaths per million, R factors, or any other viral spread statistic you care to name.
TheAngelFlight
Quote:

Just the mere language that you use tells us that you have are totally oblivious to what a lockdown does to society.
Oh, stop. No it doesn't.

And this board doesn't need to be anymore bombastic projections unto other posters
UTExan
Sweden projected Covid 19 deaths now back around 10,000.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Keegan99
AG
UTExan said:

And the model whiffed right out of the gate, predicting 404 deaths for May 2nd through 5th.

Reality is 201.
twk
AG
Does the post below yours count as a "bombastic" projection? Or does that only work in one direction.
TheAngelFlight
twk said:

Does the post below yours count as a "bombastic" projection? Or does that only work in one direction.
There's a difference between posting a link to a model and what you said. And you know that.

I'm all for posting models, and I'm for honest discussion and critique of the models.
TheAngelFlight
Keegan99 said:

UTExan said:

And the model whiffed right out of the gate, predicting 404 deaths for May 2nd through 5th.

Reality is 201.
It'd obviously be great news for everyone if the numbers stay in the lower third or so of their projected range.

I'd be cautious drawing conclusions from a few days data, especially weekends.

They only reported 16 deaths on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. It was 90 on Monday, which was near their median projection of 102.

The previous Sunday, Sweden only reported 2 deaths. It jumped to 80 on Monday and increased daily up to 124 on Thursday.

It'll probably even out that they're still below the median projections, but they'll likely do some "catching up" as the week goes on.
twk
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

twk said:

There's a difference between posting a link to a model and what you said. And you know that.

I'm all for posting models, and I'm for honest discussion and critique of the models.
I reiterate my prior comments. You can post all the models you like, but that is only dealing with, at most, one half of the equation. You can't answer the original question posed in the OP by focusing solely on how many contract or die directly from the illness.
Fitch
AG
Honestly this seems like a question that can only really be debated after the fact, not en media res.
Complete Idiot
Meanwhile, in Russia:

"It is rare for doctors to fall from windows in Russia, but Shulepov was the third health worker to fall out of a window in the country in the past two weeks."
plain_o_llama
He was a victim due to his "lack of caution."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/europe/russia-medical-workers-windows-intl/index.html

Shulepov was hospitalized for coronavirus on April 22, the same day he and his colleague Alexander Kosyakin posted a video online saying that Shulepov had been forced to continue working after testing positive for coronavirus.

Kosyakin had previously criticized hospital administration for protective gear shortages on his social media and was questioned by the police for allegedly spreading fake news.Kosyakin confirmed these details to CNN in an interview.

"[Shulepov] is an intensive care unit, as far as I know in a serious condition, last time I spoke to him was on the 30th of April, we checked in with each other," Kosyakin told CNN. "He felt fine, he was getting ready to get discharged from the hospital ... and all of a sudden this happened, it's not clear why and what for, so many questions that I don't even have the answer to."
The regional department of Russia's health ministry told CNN in a statement that Shulepov "is a victim of an accident due to his own lack of caution" and is receiving all necessary medical care.
Demo_Slug
AG
#oldlivesmatter
HotardAg07
AG

Interesting
DadHammer
AG
Nashville is very spread out, Stockholm is not.

Maybe that explains it?
TXAggie2011
AG
DadHammer said:

Nashville is very spread out, Stockholm is not.

Maybe that explains it?
It is based on percent change, so its relative to each city's baseline.
TXAggie2011
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
I will add two considerations, though:

(1) You have to consider the area under the curves. There seem to be some bigger deviations on the Swedish side.

(2) You have to weigh the usage of modes of transport. For example, a 50% reduction of public transit use in Sweden is significantly more meaningful than a 50% reduction of public transit use in Nashville.
Another Doug
AG
HotardAg07 said:

Interesting
Saying those graphs are the same or similar is just stupid.
Picadillo
Swedish approach makes sense here if we do would aggressively use prophylaxis on the vulnerable and segments such as health care, nursing home, first responder workers, etc. If HCQ used as a prophylatic, expect emotion and media heads exploding.
fig96
AG
Beware of Doug said:

HotardAg07 said:

Interesting
It doesn't say the graphs are the same. It says the two cities have nearly the exact same adjustment in driving, walking, and transit use, and they're at most a 2% difference from each other.
PJYoung
AG
twk said:

Quote:

Just the mere language that you use tells us that you have are totally oblivious to what a lockdown does to society. It's not "just" the economy, it's life itself. It's more than money--it's about physcial survival (can't eat if you can't buy food) and mental health (no job, nothing to do, confined to a small space is not good for mental health). You can't evaluate how a government is handling coronavirus without taking everything into consideration, and that means more than deaths per million, R factors, or any other viral spread statistic you care to name.

First, I hope everybody that reads this is doing as well as possible under these trying times. I'm sorry if my statement came off as callous in regards to our close to total lock down that most of us have experienced these past few weeks. I know it's stressful for everybody in different ways.

I was responding to this statement
Quote:

No massive rise in deaths as predicted be the media.

So I showed that Sweden does indeed have a massive difference in deaths as compared to their neighbors and then I cited a couple of GDP predictions that show Sweden has been devastated economically just as much as their neighbors. (In fairness, he was certainly talking about a non-existent recent massive rise in deaths that didn't happen).

As to your point, there is no doubt being able to make the CHOICE to stay home or roam freely has a massive effect on most people's state of mind. I can't imagine being locked down in Wuhan for months in a tiny apartment or for weeks in a place like NYC wondering how you are going to survive economically.
DadHammer
AG
Sweden's economy is fairing way better than its neighbors in lockdown. Where people are getting this false information?

According to this source, Sweden's numbers are clearly superior:
Quote:

Personal spending in Denmark is down 66 percent and in Finland it stands at 70 percent, compared to only 30 percent in Sweden. Unemployment claims in Norway are rising four times as fast as those in Sweden.

It is also expected to rebound much faster as well. Also Norway and Finland are not counting the elderly deaths the same as Sweden lowering their death numbers dramatically.
Aggies2009
AG
Edit: I'm a dummy. Sorry
PJYoung
AG
DadHammer said:

Where people are getting this false information?

Quote:

Sweden's central bank, the Riksbank

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/coronavirus-sweden-economy-to-contract-as-severely-as-the-rest-of-europe.html
twk
AG
A little more on Sweden's economic situation:

Quote:

Official figures show the country's economy shrank by just 0.3pc in the first three months of 2020, a far smaller decline than most forecasters and its central bank expected. The Riksbank had pencilled in a drop of between 0.8pc and 1.8pc.

The smaller scale of the fall contrasts with record slumps seen elsewhere across the Eurozone over the quarter as governments imposed much more stringent measures. France's economy tumbled 5.8pc, Italy's 4.7pc and Spain's by 5.2pc, while the Eurozone's output overall sank by 3.8pc - the worst decline in its history. The figures are likely to be far worse in the second quarter as lockdowns grind on.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/05/05/light-touch-sweden-suffers-smaller-growth-hit-coronavirus/

No doubt, the Swedish economy will suffer from the huge drop in worldwide demand, but they clearly have fared better than everyone else. If the US had taken a similar approach, it would have been beneficial for not only the US, but the entire world economy.

Their biggest failure on the health front, as mentioned, has been in nursing homes, which are proving troublesome everywhere (ask New York about that). While their numbers don't look as good as their closest neighbors, they are in line with much of Europe. It is fair to point out that the Swedes didn't just stand around and do nothing, but the point is that the government took some calculated risks (such as keeping elementary schools and restaurants open) that appear not to have resulted in a health catastrophe by any objective measure. You can argue that they fared worse than their closest neighbors, but they managed to avoid overwhelming their health care system while minimizing the damage to the economy.
Another Doug
AG
fig96 said:

Beware of Doug said:

HotardAg07 said:

Interesting
It doesn't say the graphs are the same. It says the two cities have nearly the exact same adjustment in driving, walking, and transit use, and they're at most a 2% difference from each other.
Look at the driving line, Sweden bottoms out at around ~33%, Nashville at 70%. Just because the lines might intersect at a point doesn't mean they are similar. At some point in the last few years I attained the same muscle mass of Randy Macho Man Savage. It doesn't mean we are similar, it just means he has been decomposing for 9 years.

Also, I have worked in both towns, and the entire comparing of Nashville and Stockholm is just silly. One is on archipelago which changes a lot of how you travel in and out of the city. Sweden also goes through a big transformation of activity from March to May as they go from no day light and freezing, to a ton of day light. Also comparing a European country and Tennessee on biking habits is like comparing the swimming habits of a duck and a cinder block.
Keegan99
AG
That graph also doesn't indicate how long Swedes spent at each destination.

If Swedes go out for a meal 1 mile from home and spend an hour at the restaurant, and Americans go pick up a meal 1 mile from home, and both use the same mode of transit, that could show up in both data sets as "walked 1 mile from home".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.