Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,786 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GAC06 said:

Sure but as you approach 300,000 cases that shouldn't be skewed too far one way or the other
I know March of 2020 seems like ages ago, but I think you have to go back to the Spring to get some answers. Italy was the first European country to get hit, were caught flat-footed and the hospitals got overrun. They were at a point where they were having to pick and choose who to try and save as people were dying in their homes. Also, I seem to remember that Italy was only testing the really sick, so it inflated their death rates quite a bit. At one point, the CFR in Italy was like 25%. While the number of positive cases between the two may be similar, the number of actual infections is likely much higher in Italy. Another problem with Italy is the tradition of multi-generational homes. I'm not familiar with how Germany handles their elderly population (are they more independent like in the US?), but the average age of death in Italy was very high as the younger people were getting infected and bringing it home to their parents and grandparents.
Cepe
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-strategy.html

Quote:

Now, though, the question is whether the country's current low caseload, compared with sharp increases elsewhere, shows that it has found a sustainable balance, something that all Western countries are seeking eight months into the pandemic or whether the recent numbers are just a temporary aberration.

"It looks positive," said Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, who gained global fame and notoriety for having kept Sweden out of lockdown in March.

With a population of 10.1 million, Sweden averaged just over 200 new cases a day for several weeks, though in recent days that number has jumped to about 380. The per capita rate is far lower than nearby Denmark or the Netherlands (if higher than the negligible rates in Norway and Finland). Sweden is also doing far better, for the moment, than Spain, with 10,000 cases a day, and France, with 12,000.
Cepe
AG
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3702595

Quote:

Abstract
Using monthly all-cause death tolls for Denmark, Sweden and Finland from January 1946 (and Norway from January 2000) to June 2020, I estimate the stock of vulnerable elderly with a high mortality risk "dry tinder" in each country primo each month from January 1960 to April 2020.

My calculations show that the stock of "dry tinder" in Sweden was very large compared to other Nordic countries going into the COVID-19-pandemic early April and large even in a historical per-spective. The results are robust to different specifications of the expected mortality and the "dry tinder"-stock.

My results show that a large share of the excess mortality in Sweden in April 2020 may be partially explained by a vulnerable, elderly population due to very mild flu seasons in 18/19 and 19/20 as well as very few deaths during the 2019 summer compared to earlier years and compared to other Nordic countries.

My results illustrate that plain coincidences may be important when understanding the COVID-19-death toll in a country compared to national lockdown policies.

Note: Funding: I work for a libertarian think tank in Denmark. The funding is mostly undisclosed - even for employees - except for a few charitable foundations.
Keegan99
AG
HotardAg07
AG
One of the highlights of COVID has been seeing staunch libertarians cheerlead for Sweden's social mixed economy, hahahaha.
GAC06
AG
Weird take
DTP02
AG
HotardAg07 said:

One of the highlights of COVID has been seeing staunch libertarians cheerlead for Sweden's social mixed economy, hahahaha.

What a strange takeaway.
TheMasterplan
HotardAg07 said:

One of the highlights of COVID has been seeing staunch democrats ignore Sweden's coronavirus response after holding up the country as a representation of what the US social spending should be, hahahaha.
FIFY
fig96
AG
It feels like anyone who isn't rabidly pro-Sweden in this is somehow perceived here as anti-Sweden.
TheMasterplan
fig96 said:

It feels like anyone who isn't rabidly pro-Sweden in this is somehow perceived here as anti-Sweden.
The main question is why is the Sweden approach working and why are the pro-lockdown types not being asked the right questions on why Sweden's approach is working so far after all the doomsday predictions over it. They are being allowed to ignore it which is unacceptable.

You can bring up other nordic countries all you want but they are maskless and not seeing massive spread. They were also predicted to have almost 20x more deaths then they have now.

They should perform some self-reflection and humility and at least ask the question, "Was there an alternative solution?"

twk
AG
Sweden is talked about because they approached the problem from a logical cost/benefit analysis, when such analysis seemed to be ignored elsewhere (the old, "if it saves one life" mantra).

People are still focused on the wrong metrics. Look at the hand wringing over an increase in cases in Germany.

Germany sees 'worrying jump' in coronavirus cases amid warnings of 'uncontrollable spread'

Quote:

Germany is in the midst of a "worrying jump" in coronavirus cases as the daily infection rate crossed 4,000 for the first time since early April, health minister Jens Spahn warned.

"The numbers are showing a worrying jump," Mr Spahn told reporters at a press conference in Berlin. "Barely any other country in Europe has managed the crisis as well so far. But we must not gamble away what we've achieved."

The largest economy in Europe could also see an "uncontrolled" spread of the virus unless it gets things under control, according to Lothar Wieler, the head of Germany's Robert Koch Institute.

"We don't know how the situation in Germany will develop in the coming weeks," Mr Wieler said at the same press conference. "It's possible that we will reach more than 10,000 cases a day. It's possible that the virus will spread uncontrollably. But I hope it doesn't."

"The current situation worries me a lot ... I ask you to stick to the rules," he said, adding that only 8% of cases in Germany were imported from overseas.

4,058 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded in the past 24 hours in Germany, a significant increase from the 2,828 cases recorded in the 24 hours prior.
While cases are up

The real number that you should be basing policy on, deaths, remains flat

People like to talk about Sweden because, unlike so many other jurisdictions, they never lost focus on what the real object was, which was protecting lives not just from covid, but also, from negative effects that might come from an overreach in trying to fight covid.
Keegan99
AG
Sweden also stuck to the established plan that was in place in just about every Western nation. The Swedes didn't panic and succumb to Chinese propaganda, peer pressure, and lockdown pseudoscience.
DadHammer
AG
The Lockdown for nothing world will not admit they were 100% wrong. Propaganda at its finest.
fig96
AG
TheMasterplan said:

fig96 said:

The main question is why is the Sweden approach working and why are the pro-lockdown types not being asked the right questions on why Sweden's approach is working so far after all the doomsday predictions over it. They are being allowed to ignore it which is unacceptable.

You can bring up other nordic countries all you want but they are maskless and not seeing massive spread. They were also predicted to have almost 20x more deaths then they have now.

They should perform some self-reflection and humility and at least ask the question, "Was there an alternative solution?"
Not sure what that has to do with my comment.

Once again, people who want to be cautious aren't necessarily "pro lockdown" nor do they want the economy to die. This weird black and white thing some of you want to do is just odd.

No one knows the right answer in this situation, and we certainly didn't know what the best course was a few months ago.
ham98
The Swedes knew the right answer and so did some of our more qualified epidemiologists from Stanford, Harvard, and Oxford. You should be asking why we didn't take their research and recommendations into consideration on how to deal with this.
Keegan99
AG
Swedes did nothing all that different from the established CDC plans for a pandemic influenza.

What was bizarre is how mainstream press characterized the Swedish response as "radical" or "experimental" or "controversial".
fig96
AG
Again, nothing to do with my comment.
TheMasterplan
fig96 said:

TheMasterplan said:

fig96 said:

Once again, people who want to be cautious aren't necessarily "pro lockdown" nor do they want the economy to die. This weird black and white thing some of you want to do is just odd.

No one knows the right answer in this situation, and we certainly didn't know what the best course was a few months ago.
I guess where people should be cautious is the LTC/nursing facilities.

I'm not really arguing against you I guess. Just frustrated that the questions aren't being asked to those saying we need to lockdown 100% and wear masks 24/7.

Sure we didn't know the best course months ago. We all fell for the CCP propaganda of people falling in the streets. Nobody wants to admit they were wrong and that's what is going on here. No humility whatsoever.

Now that we know more we should be opening up way more like Sweden is. They are still encouraging voluntary responsibility like social distancing which is great from a freedom and liberty perspective which should still be valued.
AgCPA
AG
Well, when comparing nations there are so many differences to take into account. Population, immigration, ports of entry ie how easy is it to close off etc etc. I personally think that the virus is gonna do its thing regardless. If, as the experts say, we are simply flattening the curve, then cases of the virus per capita in the end should be pretty close world wide. The big difference is how long it took to get to the end. I have a feeling that the shut it all down crowd will be dealing with this a bit longer than the open it all up crowd. Some would argue that they will benefit from the coming vaccine. However, considering it normally takes years to get a safe vaccine on the market and that they have failed to successfully develop one for SARRS in 20 years, a very similar virus, I don't know that I would count on it. Personally I will wait to see what happens after a few years before I indulge. I just don't see the risk considering my age and health of simply getting the virus as greater than taking a potentially dangerous vaccine. Statistically under 70 and healthy with no preexisting issues, my chances of having a bad case are extremely small and dying of it even smaller. All that being said, I think those countries that protected the vulnerable well and early will have a better death rate, but every other statistic in the end will likely be very similar from country to country. But the day we are all done with this as nations is a long ways off.
RGV AG
AG
As I have stated on this thread the country that I believe really should be looked at for a no shutdown situation is Nicaragua. There was no lockdown, no businesses shut down by government order, and the population basically had to keep on working or they would go hungry.

Their borders were closed, but so were the borders of all the other neighbors. The health care system in the country is poor, no pun intended, for the most part. The climate resembles the US during summertime. There are plenty of unhealthy people and so on and so forth.

Their official statistics are 4,225 cases and 153 deaths. If those numbers are 4X what they are saying, out of a country of 6.5 million I don't think that is a bad number. Especially the 2nd poorest country in this hemisphere. Many people were afflicted with it, un-diagnosed and untreated, and most survived.

Due to politics there is some nebulous activity in the reporting and handling of Covid, but from long time friends and co-workers who live and work there, and lived and worked through the height of the deal, things are really on the down turn and there is not the fear that there is in other countries.
ham98
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/nu.html

Median age of Nicaragua: 27.3

Nicaragua has a low death rate because they have a young population. It holds true worldwide. A lot of African countries also will never see a big death spike due to covid due to their young populations
BiochemAg97
AG
AgCPA said:

Well, when comparing nations there are so many differences to take into account. Population, immigration, ports of entry ie how easy is it to close off etc etc. I personally think that the virus is gonna do its thing regardless. If, as the experts say, we are simply flattening the curve, then cases of the virus per capita in the end should be pretty close world wide. The big difference is how long it took to get to the end. I have a feeling that the shut it all down crowd will be dealing with this a bit longer than the open it all up crowd. Some would argue that they will benefit from the coming vaccine. However, considering it normally takes years to get a safe vaccine on the market and that they have failed to successfully develop one for SARRS in 20 years, a very similar virus, I don't know that I would count on it. Personally I will wait to see what happens after a few years before I indulge. I just don't see the risk considering my age and health of simply getting the virus as greater than taking a potentially dangerous vaccine. Statistically under 70 and healthy with no preexisting issues, my chances of having a bad case are extremely small and dying of it even smaller. All that being said, I think those countries that protected the vulnerable well and early will have a better death rate, but every other statistic in the end will likely be very similar from country to country. But the day we are all done with this as nations is a long ways off.
SARS didn't last long enough or infect enough people to do phase 3 trials. You need to compare how many people in a test group get sick to how many people in a control group get sick. SARS was easy to identify who had it and isolate before they infected others so basically no one got sick. There was about 8000 confirmed cases of SARS worldwide from 2002-2004.

Please stop using a lack of SARS vaccine as some indication that we can't make a vaccine to COVID19. It wasn't that the SARS vaccines didn't work, it was that they couldn't test them.
RGV AG
AG
ham98 said:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/nu.html

Median age of Nicaragua: 27.3

Nicaragua has a low death rate because they have a young population. It holds true worldwide. A lot of African countries also will never see a big death spike due to covid due to their young populations

Good point, Nicaragua does have a younger population than the US, I don't know if I agree with the CIA median age, due to having lived there for 11 years and the fact that the Autonomous Zones are/were never accurately counted in the censuses.

I would not think the Nicaraguan median age would be too far off of Hispanic majority population centers in the US. Another factor, Nicaragua, at least from my experience in LatAm and the Caribbean, has the most multigenerational households, and extended family ones, of any place I have lived and spent time in, more than Haiti and or Mexico.

The access to advanced healthcare in that country is probably a small step above Africa. One thing I do believe makes a difference is that in Nicaragua probably no more than 15% of the population spends ample time in AC. Malls, markets, schools, factories, hospital hallways and many rooms, and the majority of the homes are al fresco. I believe that plays a large part in the reducing transmission, just a personal opinion.

But overall, even compared to their similar, yet more advanced, neighbors the effects of the virus appeared less on society and for sure economically.
J. Walter Weatherman
fig96 said:

TheMasterplan said:

fig96 said:

We may have not known the right answer in March, but we 100% do now. Lockdowns do nothing except delay the eventual spread, while killing businesses and creating entirely new and unnecessary problems. There is no excuse to have any further lockdown measures (outside of LTC facilities) currently given what we now know.
nortex97
AG
Exactly. If people want to stay at home/self-isolate, that's fine. Heck, I'm fine with the government continuing to work to provide help/assistance and regulatory assistance (such as virtual doc visits etc) to the needy/elderly to help. It's the lockdowns that just need to end, full stop.

https://www.city-journal.org/lockdowns-must-end

AgCPA
AG
You make a valid point. But Im not sure it is as pertinent as you believe. You can still develop the vaccine with the virus you have in the lab. You can still test it for safety in humans. You can also test the antibodies produced in humans for efficacy against the virus. Its true that human trials are the best last step, but there are always alternatives when needed. But regardless of how much a SARRS comparison is valid, I still am of the opinion as are several MD buds that one cannot be certain of safety in less than a year. Not saying folks that are vulnerable or simply want one should not take it. Honestly I hope they do so we can get past this. But as I stated, for me personally, I will wait a year or two before taking it myself.
BiochemAg97
AG
AgCPA said:

You make a valid point. But Im not sure it is as pertinent as you believe. You can still develop the vaccine with the virus you have in the lab. You can still test it for safety in humans. You can also test the antibodies produced in humans for efficacy against the virus. Its true that human trials are the best last step, but there are always alternatives when needed. But regardless of how much a SARRS comparison is valid, I still am of the opinion as are several MD buds that one cannot be certain of safety in less than a year. Not saying folks that are vulnerable or simply want one should not take it. Honestly I hope they do so we can get past this. But as I stated, for me personally, I will wait a year or two before taking it myself.
Texas Children's had a SARS vaccine that I believe made it through phase 1 and phase 2, but there was no interest in a phase 3 because SARS was gone. You cannot do a phase 3 in vitro. You cannot test safety in vitro.

Good news for you, the phase 1 for each of the 9 COVID vaccine candidates in phase 3 trials right now all showed antibodies that responded to the virus at levels similar to those who recovered from the virus. Guess we can approve now and skip the rest of the phase 3. LOL

DadHammer
AG
100% Correct!
agracer
AG
fig96 said:

TheMasterplan said:

fig96 said:

Yes we did. Numbers from Italy and China showed those with comorbidities and the elderly (Italy's average age of death was 80+) were at risk, younger people, and esp. children were not. This was in March and April. And yet the US continued the lockdowns. One exception was SD which is doing just fine right now.

3-months in, and most of EU was back in school with little to no problems. Yet for some reason many schools in the US are still in full lockdown. Why?
dermdoc
dermdoc
AG
https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/swedish-health-chief-said-country-avoided-lockdown-prevent-pandemic-fatigue
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Keegan99
AG

NASAg03
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
ORAggieFan
If anyone wants a hilarious read. https://apple.news/AJeh22SAHSfGHwiblOadZxQ

" Sweden and the U.S. essentially make up a category of two: they are the only countries with high overall mortality rates that have failed to rapidly reduce those numbers as the pandemic has progressed."
nortex97
AG
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/swedens-rank-global-covid-19-deaths-continues-fall-other-countries-move

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.