Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,924 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's also not a situation where the entire country of Sweden just carried on as normal despite, how many want to make it sound.
ORAggieFan
fig96 said:

It's also not a situation where the entire country of Sweden just carried on as normal despite, how many want to make it sound.

No country as a whole was going to not change, whether that be voluntary or due to government mandates. But, not forcing business and school closures is a massive difference.
fig96
AG
I don't disagree. But there was also a lot of social distancing, remote working and learning, limiting of bars and restaurants, etc., that helped control the spread. Ya know, things that many here are still refusing to do.
DadHammer
AG
People in Houston are absolutely following the guidelines. Everyone is wearing masks, distancing, and most business I work with are working remote. Where do you live that this isn't happening? You can't go into any chemical plant here unless your crucial and that has been for months now.
fig96
AG
I'm in Austin and most folks seem to be generally following social distancing guidelines, but you also have random mask protests and tons of folks out at bars and restaurants that aren't trying too hard. And there's photos all over social media of youth sports tournaments with crowded stands.

It feels like we may be swinging back towards responsibility after everyone kind of abandoned the concept in June, if people had been responsible all along we wouldn't have the case numbers we have.
SirLurksALot
fig96 said:

I'm in Austin and most folks seem to be generally following social distancing guidelines, but you also have random mask protests and tons of folks out at bars and restaurants that aren't trying too hard. And there's photos all over social media of youth sports tournaments with crowded stands.

It feels like we may be swinging back towards responsibility after everyone kind of abandoned the concept in June, if people had been responsible all along we wouldn't have the case numbers we have.

Aren't Bars closed everywhere in the State, so how are people in Austin going to them?
fig96
AG
SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

Aren't Bars closed everywhere in the State, so how are people in Austin going to them?
Sorry, restaurant bars, to clarify, I was surprised to see folks hanging out drinking when I picked up food last week. And there's a reason Texas had to close bars in general.
SirLurksALot
fig96 said:

SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

Sorry, restaurant bars, to clarify, I was surprised to see folks hanging out drinking when I picked up food last week. And there's a reason Texas had to close bars in general.

Yeah, weak politicians.
fig96
AG
SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

Yeah, weak politicians.
That applies across the country from the top down.
SirLurksALot
fig96 said:

SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

SirLurksALot said:

fig96 said:

Yeah, weak politicians.
That applies across the country from the top down.

I completely agree.
DadHammer
AG
It's pretty much over in Sweden. Let's hope it stays that way.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/
Jmiller

" More than 5,500 people have died with Covid-19 in this country of just 10 million. It is one of the highest death rates relative to population size in Europe, and by far the worst among the Nordic nations. Unlike Sweden, the rest all chose to lock down early in the pandemic. "

"Despite this, various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year. That's less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19 such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March."

"Norway, Denmark and Finland opened their borders to one another in June, but excluded Sweden due to its high infection rate, although Swedes from less affected regions have since been given more freedom to visit Denmark."

" Just 45% of Swedes now have confidence in the government's ability to handle the pandemic, according to a Novus survey last month, down from 63% in April. "

www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-53498133

A costly strategy with minor benefits.
george07
AG
I just looked at that worldmeters link... Sweden has had 5,600 deaths while all of their neighbors had 600 or less. Denmark, Finland and Norway all are doing considerably better than Sweden. And they have lower unemployment rates than Sweden. So how is this the best approach?
Keegan99
AG
Their excess population fatality rate was about 0.05%

In the US it's about 0.04%

But we also lost tens of millions of jobs and destroyed hundreds of thousands of businesses.
Jmiller
More deaths and Swedens economy is in the same basic shape as all its neighbors that shut down.
Keegan99
AG
Except they didn't suffer any of the secondary and tertiary effects, such as the lifelong penalty of removing kids from school.

The Swedish deaths were concentrated in ages over 80 and in nursing homes. Median fatality age in Sweden was, I believe, approximately 86. Once that was brought under control the excess mortality disappeared. Locking down an entire society to protect nursing homes is insane.
CompEvoBio94
In Denmark, they opened K-5 schools in on Apr 15 and older grade on May 18. In Finland, they opened K-9 on May 1 (ref https://www.brookings.edu/blog/education-plus-development/2020/07/06/reopening-the-world-reopening-schools-insights-from-denmark-and-finland/).

Norway opened schools for 10 year olds and younger in late April. Older kids in mid-May (ref: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-schools-rekindled-epidemic-norway.html)

I doubt they'll see any long term effects from closing for a few weeks.
SirLurksALot
Jmiller said:

More deaths and Swedens economy is in the same basic shape as all its neighbors that shut down.

By the end of next year, whatever excess death totals Sweden had over its neighbors will be largely erased. 5000 early deaths is a small price to pay in exchange for not forcibly locking down the country.
DadHammer
AG
Jmiller said:

I don't know where your getting your economic data but at the end of Q2 Sweden did way way better than their neighbors. Look it up in this thread it's all there.

Also Sweden is counting more deaths than its neighbors as well. If you get covid and die in thirty days from any cause they count covid death. It's neighbors count less deaths. You also have to compare the ages of the population.

Sweden is twice the size of its neighbors as well and compared to its bigger neighbors like the UK they did better.

Let's see how things go in another six months.
beerad12man
AG
Jmiller said:

" More than 5,500 people have died with Covid-19 in this country of just 10 million. It is one of the highest death rates relative to population size in Europe, and by far the worst among the Nordic nations. Unlike Sweden, the rest all chose to lock down early in the pandemic. "

"Despite this, various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year. That's less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19 such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March."

"Norway, Denmark and Finland opened their borders to one another in June, but excluded Sweden due to its high infection rate, although Swedes from less affected regions have since been given more freedom to visit Denmark."

" Just 45% of Swedes now have confidence in the government's ability to handle the pandemic, according to a Novus survey last month, down from 63% in April. "

I would care about all cause mortality by years end significantly more than this.

Not every country reports the same, tracks the same, can be trusted the same, etc.. Whether some believe it or not, I'm of the high opinion that a good 75-90% of the deaths from Covid weren't long for this world(6-12 months). Nor does every person in the world think that bottom line covid deaths are the only thing to consider.

Yes, while it would be sad and we'd likely have more listed covid deaths at this time had we followed their approach to a T, I would love their current numbers and trajectory more. Over a 12 or at most 18 month period, all cause mortality would likely be the same.
Keegan99
AG
Sweden is now running a death deficit. That is, fewer people are dying relative to historical norms.

DadHammer
AG
That's great info, thank you
BiochemAg97
AG
Jmiller said:

There is one thing people seem to overlook. Lots of European countries utilized a direct payment to companies to pay their employees to prevent layoffs and unemployment. Not sure if the their Nordics used a similar approach, but when they did it makes the "unemployment rate" a bit misleading. Governments were paying out lots of cash for people not working but not reflecting that in unemployment rate. It was probably a much better approach than the little bit of everything approach taken by the US.

Looking at just GDP change or unemployment numbers misses the effect on govt budgets. However, it could be hard to judge how much that increased debt drags on the economy going forward.
BiochemAg97
AG
Keegan99 said:

Sweden is now running a death deficit. That is, fewer people are dying relative to historical norms.

Will be interesting to watch this and see if COVID basically just moved deaths of the elderly up by several months.
Keegan99
AG
Agreed. I seem to recall that the median fatality age in Sweden was about 86.

As a friend of mine bluntly put it, "People don't move into nursing homes expecting to be back on the golf course in six months."
harge57
Keegan99
AG
tysker
AG
For the Sweden did it better crowd I'll link the following research report
https://blog.argonautcapital.co.uk/articles/2020/07/27/the-biggest-fraud-part-1-the-hocus-science-behind-lockdown/

Part 1 is about the 'science' that dictated lockdowns and Part 2 about how pharma and govt are using fear and poor science to promote a possibly unnecessary vaccine

I havent read all of the citations as I don't have access to all of them, I'm not going to translate to English and I'm not going to recreate data but I found most of it reasonable but also in full disclosure it affirms my priors. (Also I linked one chart and footnote on another thread.)

I also think places like TX, FL, AZ and CA shut down too early which diminished the physical, mental and political capital of those locations and lead to a false sense of safety.

One idea about a possible vaccine that popped out for me that I hadnt considered before... The issue that people most in need of a COVID vaccine, may be the ones least likely to get one due to impaired immune systems. From Part 2:
Quote:

Reports of successful antibody responses amongst healthy adults in vaccine trials should be viewed with more scepticism111. It is also almost certain that any antibody response would be more difficult in population samples with impaired immune systems that are most at risk from COVID. Even an efficacious vaccine might have to be ramped in dosage that would be intolerable to those most likely to benefit from vaccination. Leading Swiss epidemiologist Pietro Vernazza has demonstrated that the high-risk group is least likely to respond to the vaccine since their immune system is already impaired112.
Do we see similar issues with other vaccines (i.e. flu shot) or are these concerns more short run in nature and as herd immunity increases, the vaccine dosage can decrease to offset over time?

edit to add: I particularly like footnote 53 for which a chart is credited
https://wintoncentre.maths.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-resources-make-sense-numbers-test/how-have-covid-19-fatalities-compared-other-causes-death/
BiochemAg97
AG
tysker said:

I also think places like TX, FL, AZ and CA shut down too early which diminished the physical, mental and political capital of those locations and lead to a false sense of safety.
This
terradactylexpress
Totally agree with that, so many people in Houston came out of the lockdown with "summer is back on" type mentality and all we did was burn our one shot at that
cone
AG
burn our shot?

this was no shot

this thing is endemic
terradactylexpress
With having a meaningful lockdown
cone
AG
So who was going to dig the moat around Harris County?
Carnwellag2
fig96 said:

, if people had been responsible all along we wouldn't have the case numbers we have.
Stupid post and statement not based fact
fig96
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

fig96 said:

, if people had been responsible all along we wouldn't have the case numbers we have.
Stupid post and statement not based fact
You're right, we're obviously doing everything perfectly. That's why we're leading every other country in cases while most of the civilized western world has virtually eliminated new cases.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.