Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,858 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
NASAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry not saying you are using it as a strawman, you are correct. But a number of people make that comment so as to not think Swedish results are applicable to the US.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
fig96
AG
Right, but on the flipside you've got lots of people saying "OMG Sweden gets to go out and play no fair" which also totally ignores all context or voluntary steps they've taken.

Like with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
California Ag 90
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Quote:

i understand your point and that the baseline IC model assumptions were modified to incorporate social distancing following the policy changes (the model assumptions were changed, if that is better terminology - sorry to be pedantic but a model with different assumptions incorporated mathematically into its parameters is a different model).
No, this is incorrect. The original paper took a baseline and studied the effect of intervention against the baseline. The model assumptions were not changed. There was no modification. There was no first or second publication. Just the one.
just read the works you cited and you are correct. his baseline model mathematically incorporated no intervention. that model was adjusted parametrically to reflect gradations of intervention, to estimate impact on public health. those interventions and their mathematical representations in his model reflect assumptions on their impact, as reflected in his only publication on this subject.

i don't think we are disagreeing on how he used his model, and i accept your point that there was no 'after the policy' modification of his publication or his modeling - i did not understand that until i read what you provided.

thanks for pushing me to clarity.
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
Zobel
AG
Sorry for being so pissy about it, it just really frustrated me to see FUD / fake news about this (not you, the earlier reporting that was factually incorrect). Especially given the climate that we're in right now. This is like THE cause celebre for the anti-model-ites, and it's all based in a lie.
Double Diamond
The_Fox said:

HouAggie2007 said:

You do realize it's 1,000 with a large amount of social distancing?
Ok. Let say 10,000 deaths. Than gives me a 1 in 3,000 chance. I'm still risking it. 30,000 deaths? So 1 in 1,000. Guess what? I'm still risking it.

Texans should be given the the chance to make their own cost/benefit calculation and then the individual choice to risk it or not. Period.

That's just not how it works.
The_Fox
Double Diamond said:

The_Fox said:

HouAggie2007 said:

Ok. Let say 10,000 deaths. Than gives me a 1 in 3,000 chance. I'm still risking it. 30,000 deaths? So 1 in 1,000. Guess what? I'm still risking it.

Texans should be given the the chance to make their own cost/benefit calculation and then the individual choice to risk it or not. Period.

Believe me, I know. There is zero f'ing chance of 30K deaths in Texas from COVID this year and even that would be acceptable.
Fitch
AG
Seems like the last part of that statement could have been left off unless the intent was to be incendiary.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Fitch said:

Seems like the last part of that statement could have been left off unless the intent was to be incendiary.
He's pretty intent on letting us all know just how few ****s he gives.

Just when I think people may be right when they say "nobody wants everything to open up 100% completely and go about business as usual tomorrow"... he chimes in again.
doctorAg13
AG
Well done. Succinct, factual and reasoned. I've seen that Venn diagram before and I'm a fan of that, too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Double Diamond
The_Fox said:

Double Diamond said:

The_Fox said:

HouAggie2007 said:

Believe me, I know. There is zero f'ing chance of 30K deaths in Texas from COVID this year and even that would be acceptable.

Seems a stance where you understand this is what was needed and you know it's crippling the economy. It's hard to let people just do there thing when they can infect so many.
The_Fox
Double Diamond said:

The_Fox said:

Double Diamond said:

The_Fox said:

HouAggie2007 said:

Seems a stance where you understand this is what was needed and you know it's crippling the economy. It's hard to let people just do there thing when they can infect so many.
The same can be said about the flu. This has killed like 16 people under 50 in Texas. It is a cost/benefit analysis and does not even begin to militate towards keeping this shut down. If you are scared, stay home. If you are scared for a family member, make them stay home.

Politicians however, are making political calculations rather than making tough decisions.
DadHammer
AG
Respectfully I ask the below.

If you stay home how are other people that want to work going to infect you?

The only cure is a vaccine or herd immunity. At the end of the week we will have like 30+ million job losses. How are people going to feed and shelter their families?

I don't understand the " if I'm staying home you have to also" crowd. The virus is out there already. You can stay inside and lose everything you have worked for your whole life, but the virus is still there as soon as you go out. Why prolong it and destroy the economy for nothing? Protect the old and weak with quarantine, the rest go to work social distancing and be smart.
NASAg03
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2020/04/22/sweden-health-agency-withdraws-controversial-coronavirus-report/#6319edb84349

Two reports withdrawn in Sweden and will be republished when data is better scrutinized.

They too are finding to challenging to balance between quickly testing small sample sizes to make early informed decisions and the resulting errors in extrapolating small data sets to large populations
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
hoosierAG
AG
Agree...and overall, we clearly can't keep going the current path. I don't pretend to know the balance/answer...but virus and economic destruction is/will be approaching unbearable. And the problem is for people who want to go back to work...there won't be enough or much to come back too now. Damage is done ...only question now is how much and for how long will recovery take.
Sq 17
It is all about managing community spread, especially the asymptomatic if 1 out of 100 people have it than going out and running errands and being cautious is much much safer than if 5 out of 100 have it. Obviously the economy has to be reopened hopefully the pause was adequate to get somethings better squared away.

PPE is definitely better and the Drs have also gotten better at treating the hospitalized patients.
RandyAg98
AG
LINK

Sweden thinking it is a few weeks from herd immunity.
Quote:

But now, the country's chief epidemiologist said the strategy appears to be working and that "herd immunity" could be reached in the capital Stockholm in a matter of weeks.
"In major parts of Sweden, around Stockholm, we have reached a plateau (in new cases) and we're already seeing the effect of herd immunity and in a few weeks' time we'll see even more of the effects of that. And in the rest of the country, the situation is stable," Dr. Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist at Sweden's Public Health Agency, told CNBC on Tuesday.
Herd immunity among a population, usually achieved through vaccination, is reached when around 60% of citizens are deemed immune. Without a vaccine for the coronavirus, however, scientists are looking at whether exposure to and recovery from Covid-19 leads to long-term immunity. Reinfections of coronavirus have been reported.
Complete Idiot
edited to remove article link
Zobel
AG
Withdrawn for unspecified errors, as NASAg03 said above.
Complete Idiot
k2aggie07 said:

Withdrawn for unspecified errors, as NASAg03 said above.
I didnt catch that earlier post, but looked at the article he linked. Are they the same thing - ie the prediction of X number "immune" by May 1st is tied to the antibody testing in the article I linked? One is a model a future prediction - withdrawn - but the article I linked (with admitted limitations in the article) was for antibody testing results only. And I was posting because I felt it showed they are still a good way away from what I had thought "herd immunity" required.

Zobel
AG
Both were withdrawn apparently, the estimate and the antibody test report. Kinda weird.
Complete Idiot
I'll remove the link if it is thought to contain false information, but the article mentioned no report had been generated so I am not sure what was out there to formally withdraw.

"You cannot draw conclusions about the exact percentages, but we know that those XX have had (the coronavirus). It is not enough for a research report, but too important to keep under wraps," clinical microbiologist Jan Albert told broadcaster SVT. The test is set to be rolled out to more people on Tuesday.
DTP02
AG
Just keeping kids in school is going to give Sweden a massive head start on achieving significant levels of immunity over the rest of the developed world.
DadHammer
AG
Randy posted it already. Good article.

The 11% and the 33% herd immunitiy articles were removed for accuracy issues.
NASAg03
Something I was thinking about yesterday:

If asymptomatic carriers release the virus, do they do in lower quantities vs. symptomatic carriers?

And if serverity of symptoms is worse for a high load, wouldn't we want asymptomatic carriers releasing the virus to other healthy people so that we build herd immunity in a safer way?

Also, allowing some spread on surfaces, in small quantities, on various surfaces might also be better than completely removing any spread. Especially if the body still sees damaged SARS-Cov-2 as a threat, builds up immunity, and then may react better when the non-damaged virus is encountered.

Just random thoughts.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
NASAg03
"Personal spending in Denmark is down 66 per cent and in Finland it stands at 70 per cent, compared to only 30 per cent in Sweden. Unemployment claims in Norway are rising four times as fast as those in Sweden. The latter's overall economy is not expected to slump to nearly the same degree as much of Europe."

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/21/analysis-is-sweden-right-in-its-handling-of-covid-19
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
DadHammer
AG
Good article , thx for postin.
PJYoung
AG

I post this understanding that where we stand on April 24th, 2020 is in no way shape or form the final word on Sweden's approach.
TXAggie2011
AG
RandyAg98 said:

LINK

Sweden thinking it is a few weeks from herd immunity.
Quote:

Tegnell said sampling and modeling data indicated that 20% of Stockholm's population is already immune to the virus, and that "in a few weeks' time we might reach herd immunity and we believe that is why we're seeing a slow decline in cases, in spite of sampling (testing for the coronavirus) more and more."
This story came out on April 22.

April 23 was Sweden's worst day on record for new cases, until it was topped on April 24.

I hope and pray they're right, but whether they're on the decline still seems an open question.
hph6203
AG
PJYoung said:

I post this understanding that where we stand on April 24th, 2020 is in no way shape or form the final word on Sweden's approach.
This is basically just a working as intended gif. The whole strategy for Sweden is to get it over as fast as possible without increasing their IFR. Right now it's hard to say definitively they're doing that, but I haven't seen articles about their hospitals being overrun or them being unable to provide adequate care.
Carnwellag2
fig96 said:

I quit listening to the pressers a few weeks back so I'll take your word for it
This tells us everything we need to know about you and your position and information gathering
Participation trophies caused all of this
goodAg80
AG
Good article from BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

Sweden is not wide open, but still the most open.

Quote:

On the face of it little has shut down. But data suggests the vast majority of the population have taken to voluntary social distancing, which is the crux of Sweden's strategy to slow the spread of the virus.

Usage of public transport has dropped significantly, large numbers are working from home, and most refrained from travelling over the Easter weekend. The government has also banned gatherings of more than 50 people and visits to elderly care homes.

Around 9 in 10 Swedes say they keep at least a metre away from people at least some of the time, up from seven in 10 a month ago, according to a major survey by polling firm Novus.

Quote:

In Stockholm, the epicentre of the virus so far, cases have largely plateaued, although there was a spike at the end of this week, put down partly to increased testing.

There is still space in intensive care units and a new field hospital at a former conference venue is yet to be used.
Quote:

A core aim was to introduce less stringent social distancing measures that could be maintained over a long period time. Schools for under-16s have remained open to enable parents to keep working in key areas.

Quote:

It has higher death rates in relation to its population size than anywhere else in Scandinavia.

Unlike in some countries, Sweden's statistics do include elderly care home residents, who account for around 50% of all deaths. Dr Tegnell admits that is a major concern.
DadHammer
AG
"Unlike in some countries, Sweden's statistics do include elderly care home residents, who account for around 50% of all deaths. Dr Tegnell admits that is a major concern."

How can the other countries not count this group of people? The different methods from counting deaths and limited testing make comparisons very difficult.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So, the poster child example for the "Open it ALL up NOW" crowd is a country that isn't completely open, but is trying to do things in a measured manner?
fig96
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

fig96 said:

I quit listening to the pressers a few weeks back so I'll take your word for it
This tells us everything we need to know about you and your position and information gathering
That I don't want to waste an hour every night hearing the same questions and same answers with no real new information? You would be correct.
NASAg03
I was about to post that same article. Things are looking good for the Swedish approach. And for those people that think everyone in Sweden is voluntarily locking down like the US:

"Meanwhile, there are signs that others living in Sweden believe the worst of the crisis is over.

Mobile phone data suggests Stockholm's residents are spending more time in the city centre than a fortnight ago, and last weekend police raised concerns about overcrowding in nightlife hotspots."
Mike Shaw - Class of '03

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.