Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,900 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
DadHammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweden was about the only country that actually followed the game plan for a virus like covid.

They are basically back to normal already with way less impact on their economy and will in the end be the winner.

So many here falsely stating Sweden's economy would be as bad as lockdown countries obviously don't understand economics. They were 100% wrong.

You can't lock yourself down and eliminate a respiratory virus, lockdowns have been a complete disaster and the death toll will be really bad for the countries that followed that idiotic approach from cancer, heart disease, depression, poverty, etc..

Not to mention Sweden followed one of the strictest policies for counting deaths as covid.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Sweden considering lockdowns.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-shifts-away-no-lockdown-strategy-amid-growing-case-numbers-2020-10

Keegan99
AG
No, they're not.
BiochemAg97
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-shifts-away-no-lockdown-strategy-amid-growing-case-numbers-2020-10

Local governments can strongly recommend people avoid busy public places. Yeah, that is a lock down.

The govt could say maybe not hang out at restaurants late at night... but there are no fines or legal repercussions for not following the advice. Sounds exactly the same as the government closing establishments.
ORAggieFan
What a garbage article. Just read this crap:

Sweden will shift away from its early coronavirus strategy of opting against lockdown measures and instead embrace restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors amid growing case numbers in the country.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials next week to discuss which measures to put into place in response to outbreaks in the capital Stockholm and nearby city Uppsala

So, it will shift away or will they meet to discuss? Can this be more contradictory?
nortex97
AG

Sweden is doing great. The Covidians in the media are just trying to find a metric/doctor/local politician somewhere to sling at them.
Keegan99
AG

The pathological desire among some to discredit Sweden's success is baffling.
cc_ag92
AG
I promise that I have no pathological desire to discredit Sweden's response. I have followed this thread with great interest and hope.
While looking for more information tonight, I found this recently released article with an interview with Sweden's epidemiologist. His description is interesting.
Keegan99
AG

In case it wasn't clear, no, Sweden isn't considering "lockdowns" and the "journalists" that reported as much are frauds.
dermdoc
AG
Keegan99 said:

The pathological desire among some to discredit Sweden's success is baffling.

Agree.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Keegan99 said:

In case it wasn't clear, no, Sweden isn't considering "lockdowns" and the "journalists" that reported as much are frauds.

Like using the common sense God gave us?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cc_ag92
AG
Again, no pathological desire to discredit Sweden. I try to seek information from both sides of issues, thus the reason I continue to read this board, even thought it's not as balanced as it used to be.

I saw this longer article that is primarily an interview with quotes from Sweden's epidemiologist. It lacked extreme bias, which I appreciated.

Not trying to start any arguments. Just thought it was an interesting article about the topic at hand.
dermdoc
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Again, no pathological desire to discredit Sweden. I try to seek information from both sides of issues, thus the reason I continue to read this board, even thought it's not as balanced as it used to be.

I saw this longer article that is primarily an interview with quotes from Sweden's epidemiologist. It lacked extreme bias, which I appreciated.

Not trying to start any arguments. Just thought it was an interesting article about the topic at hand.

Curious as to what you mean by "balance". And serious when I say that and not trying to be argumentative.

To me, there is truth and non truth.
dermdoc
AG
And will also add that there is a lot of historical evidence of how novel respiratory viruses behave. And Covid is basically following the same path.

Sadly, not many of our head docs even brought that stuff up. In fact, the Belgian docs were the first ones who pointed it out.

And Sweden actually followed what has been done in the past with respiratory spread viruses. And it worked.
LawHall88
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

No national lockdown, but they have empowered local officials to impose restrictions to address hot spots:
Quote:

Last week, Sweden's public health agency announced a change in policy that enables regional health authorities to impose restrictions aimed at localized outbreaks.

Sweden's state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, who's been the international face of the country's controversial model, told local media that the new guidelines for Uppsala were crafted to target social events and public transportation, which contact tracers determined were main risk areas for transmission.

"These are the two areas that the statistics from Uppsala shows us very clearly that there is a spread, and they are also areas where we think that there is a possibility to get a change of behavior that will impact the disease spread in Uppsala, we hope," he said.

"It is not a lockdown as that would mean that you shut down the whole society," Tegnell added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/20/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/#link-AO24EMCG3VCCRIRL7VAGTZIROQ
cc_ag92
AG
I actually didn't take it as an argument.
This board used to have more participation from doctors and scientists. Now it's veered more toward politics and name calling. Not everyone does that, by any means, but there's a vocal group.
I actually appreciate the sources and perspectives offered by many of the most active people, even when I'm not entirely convinced that what they posti is 100% accurate. I like being challenged to see different perspectives.
I just wish that we could leave politics out of it and attempt civil conversations so that more perspectives were part of the conversations.
Thanks for the opportunity to tell you what I meant.
dermdoc
AG
cc_ag92 said:

I actually didn't take it as an argument.
This board used to have more participation from doctors and scientists. Now it's veered more toward politics and name calling. Not everyone does that, by any means, but there's a vocal group.
I actually appreciate the sources and perspectives offered by many of the most active people, even when I'm not entirely convinced that what they posti is 100% accurate. I like being challenged to see different perspectives.
I just wish that we could leave politics out of it and attempt civil conversations so that more perspectives were part of the conversations.
Thanks for the opportunity to tell you what I meant.
You are welcome. But when a thread gets nuked simply because I say none of the docs I know agree with a lot of what is posted on here something is wrong. And repeatedly.

And that is not political.

Thanks for the gracious post.

And I am still confused by what you mean by balanced. There are no "sides" unless you are adding politics and emotion. There is truth, historical data, and non truth. Maybe I am missing something.
Keegan99
AG
In case anyone still thought the propaganda headlines that Sweden was considering lockdowns were true, Sweden is actually relaxing recommendations for the elderly. Why? Because they looked at the situation with a broad view of health and not through the soda straw of only COVID.

https://www.thelocal.se/20201022/sweden-scraps-coronavirus-recommendations-for-over-70s

Quote:

People aged over 70 or in other risk groups at high risk of severe illness from the coronavirus will no longer be covered by special recommendations, the government announced on Thursday.

From March, people aged over 70 or in risk groups have been advised to avoid all close contact with people outside their households, including avoiding going to shops, supermarkets, and other places with large numbers of people.

Now these specific recommendations will be removed. Instead, everyone in the population including the over-70s will be following the national recommendations which have been in place since March.

This means over-70s are no longer advised against going to shops or having close contact with others, but all age groups are still required to keep a distance from other people in public places, avoiding large gatherings, and staying at home when showing any symptoms.

"This group has made big sacrifices in order to protect themselves and to reduce the spread of infection," said health and social affairs minister Lena Hallengren.

Public Health Agency head Johan Carlson said that the additional measures for over-70s had had an effect, but that it was not justifiable to keep them in place with evidence that mental and physical health had suffered from isolation.

PJYoung
AG
Would be in line with about 100k new cases in the US based on population differences. 7 deaths is tiny tho.

AustinAg2K
Deaths tend to lag 2-4 weeks, so their spike in deaths is still to come. In general, it seems like we're much better at treating Covid than we were six months ago, so I doubt they approach the death toll they had early summer.

I do think Sweden's recent increase is showing they never hit herd immunity. I don't think any country is anywhere close to that. I think we'll likely see spikes all over the Northern Hemisphere as winter approaches. Hopefully, though, the death toll stays fairly low and people come to the conclusion we know how to treat Covid and they don't shut everything down again.
PJYoung
AG
https://uk.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-sweden-cases/update-1-sweden-sets-another-daily-covid-19-case-record-as-hospitals-feel-strain-idUKL8N2HK74O

Quote:

"We're beginning to approach the ceiling for what the healthcare system can handle. Together, as during the spring, we can push down this curve and avoid the strain on healthcare," Chief Epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told a news conference.

The Health Agency also moved to tighten pandemic recommendations for three additional regions, including Sweden's biggest cities Stockholm and Gothenburg, saying infection rates were rising sharply in these areas.

Sweden has relied primarily on voluntary measures, largely uninforced but still widely adhered to. The new tighter local recommendations, already introduced in two regions with surging infections, included advice to avoid indoor environments such as shops and gyms.

Stockholm authorities said separately that the number of Covid-19 patients in need of care in the region had risen about 60% over the past week after a near 80% surge in recorded infections.

Sweden registered 7 new deaths, taking the total to 5,934. Sweden's death rate per capita is several times higher than Nordic neighbours, but lower than some larger European countries, such as Spain and Britain.
KlinkerAg11
AG
What's the calculation for how many cases are assumed?

Is it 10 times the confirmed cases per the cdc?

Just curious about my local numbers
Agsrback12
This (BNO) is one of the same twitter bots that was stirring up panic prior to shutdown #1.
nortex97
AG
Fitch
AG
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sweden-stages-coronavirus-u-turn-banning-public-events-with-more-than-eight-people-11605538856

Quote:

Sweden is switching from its voluntary lockdowns to a much more aggressive approach that will see public events of more than eight people banned.

The Nordic country was one of the few countries that didn't go into an enforced lockdown, and has rejected the need for masks. In October, it drew up guidelines for a voluntary lockdown in cities worst hit by coronavirus.

But in a dramatic U-turn on Monday, new restrictions will no longer be a recommendation but enshrined in law as part of Sweden's Public Order Act, which means there will be harsh penalties for violating them. Lawbreakers could face fines or up to six months in prison.

The restriction is aimed at public events such as sporting events and concerts and doesn't extend to private gatherings.

Prime Minister Stefan Lfven told citizens: "It's going to get worse. Do your duty and take responsibility to stop the spread of infection. "There should not be social situations with more than eight people even if they are not formally affected by the law. This is the new norm for the whole society, for all of Sweden. Don't go to the gym. Don't go to the library. Don't have dinners. Don't have parties. Cancel."
FlyRod
In answer to the OP, no.
DadHammer
AG
Based on......what exactly?
PJYoung
AG
DadHammer said:

Compare Sweden to their 3 neighbors, not the UK.

Beat40
PJYoung said:

DadHammer said:

I think these are fair, but the other question is to compare them with their neighbors economically.

Your perspective of how they handled things will determine how you view the results.

If your perspective is the least amount of deaths only without thinking of the economy, they clearly have done worse.

If your perspective is economical against their peers only, than they have done better. (Chart below is from Aug 4, 2020 - couldn't find an updated chart on a quick search).

I do think we need to recognize that if a long economic downturn sustains as a result of restrictions, that leads to poverty. Poverty leads to increases in poor health, in many cases the poor health which COVID seems to have the more severe cases.

To me, the question of did Sweden handle this the correct way is to take a balanced view of both sets of factors.

I still think it's too early to tell one way or the other.
The Big12Ag
ORAggieFan
Pretty poor take on this and the problem with viewing things in a vacuum. Need to weigh with the economy, mental health, and life years lost. Also, a proper evaluation would include weighing the flu seasons of the last two years and would show the neighboring countries having lost more than normal while Sweden had lighter than normal flu seasons, which left many more vulnerable alive for an extra year or two.

I'm guessing Sweden's now more strict policies are followed much more than the rest of the world because they haven't been told two more weeks for the last 8 months.
PJYoung
AG
Beat40 said:

PJYoung said:

DadHammer said:

I think these are fair, but the other question is to compare them with their neighbors economically.

Your perspective of how they handled things will determine how you view the results.

If your perspective is the least amount of deaths only without thinking of the economy, they clearly have done worse.

If your perspective is economical against their peers only, than they have done better. (Chart below is from Aug 4, 2020 - couldn't find an updated chart on a quick search).

I do think we need to recognize that if a long economic downturn sustains as a result of restrictions, that leads to poverty. Poverty leads to increases in poor health, in many cases the poor health which COVID seems to have the more severe cases.

To me, the question of did Sweden handle this the correct way is to take a balanced view of both sets of factors.

I still think it's too early to tell one way or the other.
amercer
AG
I like Sweden's approach because they are trying to be logical and follow the science. But as I warned the anti lockdown brigade before, Sweden will go full restriction if they think it's the right move. They don't have a hard philosophical stance on the response. Which is awesome.
Beat40
amercer said:

I like Sweden's approach because they are trying to be logical and follow the science. But as I warned the anti lockdown brigade before, Sweden will go full restriction if they think it's the right move. They don't have a hard philosophical stance on the response. Which is awesome.
I agree with you. This is how it should have been in the US too. This what most people have been screaming for.

The one place I don't agree is I don't think it's so much an anti-lockdown brigade as it is people scream at us to follow the science, but the decision makers aren't seemingly following science in their decision making.

Case in point. What has the CDC been telling us for months? Being outside is the safest place, stay distanced, and vitamin D is best for us.

The Northern states wasted most of their summer with restrictions and then started opening up like a month before cold weather started to set in, which drives everyone back inside.

Also - if mass protests while wearing masks are not drivers of case increases, which is something that even scientists said at the time (that and that protesting police brutality was more important the virus), why is being in an outdoor football stadium at max capacity with everyone wearing masks not allowed? The fact that mass protests with masks weren't supposedly driving spread should have been the best news of the year and shouted from the rooftops!

So, decision makers in the US tell us they are following the science, but then they don't even follow the science they state they are following when they could have actually opened things up a little bit earlier during a safer period of time.

So yes, I am FOR making decisions based on actual data.
Keegan99
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.